Care Giver

Care Giver

A Story by kym820

Chapter1
I never knew that when I was born into this world that god had destined for me to be a caregiver. I am the oldest of three children. I was the one who stayed home. My brother move as soon as he graduated high school. My younger sister ran off to Germany to get married to a guy she met working in the movie theatre in town. I was the one who alway followed my mothers advice, eventually and did as I was told. I was cast in the role of care giver in 1995. I finally was able to break free and live away from home on my own..mind you I was 25 at the time. For just a brief moment I was enjoying living away from home, making my own decisions. Then I got the call about my mother being sick. The next trip home I found out that she had lung cancer and the prognosis was not looking good.. Knowing that my my had lung cancer I could not in good conscience stay in college. I dropped out and started the process for joining the police academy. I tried to help out my grandmother as much as possible with the care of my mom. I had a car so I took my mom for as long as I could to her appointments and radiation treatments. I stayed by her side until she drew her last breath.

Chapter 2
It was not long after my mother's death I was notified that I was accepted into the police academy. It was exactly one month after her death that I went into the academy. After my first year on the job my grandmother and her brother began getting sickly. I had no help from my siblings at this point. It seems that my brother found true love on the Internet and runaway to Ohio to be with his true love. My sister on the other hand lived close by but seemed to not care to help at all. I would have to go searching for her because she had a habit of turning off her phone and pager. Things began to overwhelm me parter a while and I had to get away. I needed are break. It seemed god had a sense of humor. My uncle begins going through dementia and then my grams blood pressure shoots up and on top of that they both get the flu. It doesn't help when your gran refuses to let you hire a nurse because she does not want strangers sin her house. I was stuck working full time and taking days off when I could get them trying to get them back on their feet. Once everything got back to semi normal I had the remaining problem of my uncle dementia, it was getting worse. There were day he'd wet himself almost every hour, because he could not remember how to go to the bathroom anymore. My grand would have to deal with him by herself while I was at work. It was not long before she began to hit him. I heard her one day getting frustrated with him in the bathroom trying to get him to get undressed to take a bath and I heard her slap him. I hated to do it but he would have to got into a nursing home. I could not have grand hitting him or her at 79 going to jail, so I researched and got the Philadelphia corp for aging and the archdiocese to help me get him into a good Catholic nursing home.


20130810-115908.jpg

© 2013 kym820


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
Added on August 10, 2013
Last Updated on August 10, 2013

Author

kym820
kym820

Philadelphia, PA



About
Update I am 55 years old now. I've been away from the writer's cafe for a long time. The last time I was on here I was 42 years old. Let's see if I can get back on track with my writing. more..

Writing
The Fear The Fear

A Story by kym820


Unknown Unknown

A Story by kym820