There and Back

There and Back

A Story by Alfons Vieanna
"

Elven Prince losses his love and takes a journey to the underworld to retrieve his loves soul.

"

“You’re Majesty, King Piccon. I regret to bring you grave news to your court today. I ask that your son take leave from this court, for me to present my news.”

“No, if you can say it to me and the rest of the court, you can say it if front of my son. Now what it the news that you bring that is so grave?” Piccon rises from his seat and rounds to stand behind his son.

“Sir, Lady Virgga, the elven angel, princess to the kingdom and love to be of Prince Kyal, is dead. She was murdered; we have no idea of who killed her. We found the entry wound of some kind of weapon but the weapon itself is unknown and unfound.”

“Messenger, please have the healers bring her body here. I wish to inspect the wound myself, and send for Lady Aquarin and King Leon. I will need their advice and knowledge of foreign weaponry.” The messenger bows low and leaves. “Father, I fear that this was the devils work: taking my beloved soul from me only weeks before my engagement of marriage to Lady Virgga.”

Lady Aquarin and King Leon enter into King Piccon’s court. Virgga’s body lies on a small table. An entry wound lies upon her breast.

“Aquarin and Leon, it is great to see you both again. I only wish it were on better terms. Can either of you tell me what blade struck down my love?”

Young King Leon responds first with a vicious tongue. “Have you thought that it may have been your twin brother? You were born first; maybe he wants the thrown and killed your love so that you could kill yourself. Then he can take thrown.”

“I may want the thrown, King Leon but I would never murder for it.” Kyal’s brother leans against the archway to the court, with his arms crossed. “Brother my sensuous apologies; I am sorry for your loss. I will leave you to your business; good bye Lady Aquarin.” Kyal’s brother bows out of the room.

“Kyal, the wound was made by a demon blade. This means that you can still recover the soul of Lady Virgga. And we can return the soul to its body. She will be like she once was; let me heal her wound. Then we can embark to the underworld. I promise to help you return to your living love and produce the next heir to this kingdom.” Lady Aquarin kneels at Kyal’s feet.

“I, to, promise to help bring Virgga back. After all, my father gave asylum to Virgga’s mother; father made me promise to keep Virgga safe. He said that she is to give birth to the world true Peace King.” Leon kneels alongside Aquarin. “It is my duty to make sure that the world never has war again.”

The next morn, the trio gather their gear. At the castle gates they convene and plan the approach route to the underworld. Once the sun breaks the far mountains, the drawbridge lowers; finally allowing the party to find the entrance to hell. They arm themselves with each a bow and quiver of arrows, a long sword and a few daggers. At about mid day the crew dismounts and ready themselves to traverse into the caverns of hell.

“We should try and keep things light. As we near where Virgga’s soul, the temperature will rise. The heat will drain almost all of our energy.”

“So, only carry food and weaponry.” Kyal says finishing off Aquarin’s sentence. “We will leave any heavy or thick armor here.”

The three begin laying out their weapons and food rations. After their things rest on the ground, the three begin to strip down to a tunic, pants, and their shoes. They back up their usable items and collect some fire wood. It is getting to dark to venture into the caverns. They will rest a few yards from the entrance.

The night is long and filled with the agony of lost soul screaming out through the dark cavern. At first light the crew saddles up their packs, light their torches and begin their plunge into the caverns of hell.

“It is getting hotter. I can feel my body drying out.” Lady Aquarin complains.

“There is an opening up ahead. We must be nearing Virgga.”

As they near the opening the tunnel gives way to an enormous cavern. Spikes hang from the ceiling; some connect from the top of the room to the floor. On the columns, torches are lit; radiating heat and light. In the center of the cavern; Virgga lays on an alter, sleeping. Around her are six hooded daemons. One demon stands out from the others; red cloak and hoofed feet. The main king demon himself, Satan.

Aquarin and Leon notch and launch one arrow each. Two demons drop and dissolve into dust. Kyal throws one of his daggers, but it is knocked away by a demons bat like wings. Then all hell breaks loose; the element of surprise is no longer on their side.

One demon launches its own projectiles; quills half a foot each from its wing. One quill strikes Aquarin; her body falls and goes limp. Her soul splits form the body and one of the demons grab her soul and take it off into the rest of hell. Kyal and Leon draw their swords.

Leon engages the other demons while Kyal battles with Satan. Their battle wages back and forth, but finally Kyal is struck down.

“You should have never come; you would have been able to live in peace.”

Satan gags as a blade pierces his body. Leon crouches over Kyal.

“Grab Virgga’s soul and get out of here. I trust that you will protect her. The Peace King is your child, not mine.” Kyal’s body goes limp, and Leon gathers Virgga’s soul.

Year later Virgga gives birth to King Leon’s son. Changing the world forever.

 

© 2012 Alfons Vieanna


Author's Note

Alfons Vieanna
This is for my creative writing class. We wrote a short story, that had to be fantasy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
Added on December 6, 2012
Last Updated on December 14, 2012
Tags: underworld, elfs, witches
Previous Versions

Author

Alfons Vieanna
Alfons Vieanna

OH



About
Young Writer, I have taken part in one National Novel Writing Month(NaNoWriMo). Making the number of works that I have started six. more..

Writing
LOL LOL

A Poem by Alfons Vieanna