Blood Will Out: The Dull Story of an Idiot, a Mastermind, and a Wasted Opportunity

Blood Will Out: The Dull Story of an Idiot, a Mastermind, and a Wasted Opportunity

A Story by Brandon Langley
"

My Amazon review of Walter Kirn's latest novel

"
While the story of "Clark Rockefeller" is an interesting one, it would be much better suited in a Wikipedia article.
The story opens with Kirn's happy-go-lucky 90's life, married to the teenage daughter of a writer and a movie star, being interrupted by a phone call from Rockefeller, prompting him to go on an adventure back East with a disabled dog who, although the audience feels sympathy for, Walter sees as an obstacle to overcome to get to his prize: an in with a high-society Rockefeller. With Kirn assuming that this would be the low point of the story(while really, it was the highest), he adds in a few dozen anecdotes about his time at Princeton, his Ritalin abuse, and his clulessness about absolutely everything(which, I will admit, had me doubting the reality of my knowledge). He eventually gets sick of letting the dog out of his pick-up to piss every hour, the process of which is described in great detail, and calls up his mom to get him and the dog on a plane, which was strictly against Clark's instructions. In spite of this, when Walt lands, Clark is there to meet him and pays him $500 for the job. With Kirn wanting more, he becomes the socialite's friend. That is where the plot ends. The next ten chapters are the court case and more existential pondering about himself, Clark, and his own general stupidity.
This book was a huge let down. Advertises itself as a thriller novel, I expected some form of horror, some recollection of a time when he was at his weakest and Clark could have killed him whenever he liked. Alas, that was not present, and the book lacked any form of plot. It laces facts with Kirn's thoughts. The only character whose description wasn't laced entirely with Kirn's stupidity was the only other of Walt's friends we are introduced to: fellow writer and pseudo-investigator, James Ellroy. Ellroy's dialogue is intriguing, while his character is not fully fleshed-out, the only information we are given on him being about his memoir on the murder of his mother and the effects it had on his life. He is presented as a wise, experienced hand, guiding our writer along his journey, searching for answers, racing against the lawyers and police and investigators trying to get to the bottom of all the questions he had about Clark, questions that Clark, himself, refused to answer. Kirn is advised to give up by Ellroy, which, perhaps, I should have taken myself. I expected an ending, a point to all these ramblings I was presented by Kirn, but in the end, I was given nothing but a 250-page wikipedia article(mixed with the ramblings of a mentally challenged mad-man[Kirn]) on Walter and Clark's relationship. Throughout the book's later chapters, we are given bits and pieces of information we expect to receive an ending conclusion to, but all we get is a confrontation between Kirn and the crippled dog's previous owner, discussing the dog's true death.
DO NOT waste your money on this book. It will bring nothing but frustration to you. But, if you must read the entire bibliography of this one-hit-wonder, then be my guest. Hell, I'll even give you my copy.

© 2014 Brandon Langley


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
Added on July 13, 2014
Last Updated on July 13, 2014

Author

Brandon Langley
Brandon Langley

Virginia Beach, VA



About
I hat my life. more..

Writing
H+ H+

A Story by Brandon Langley