The Holidays

The Holidays

A Story by JessicaRose

The holidays. The best times when you're together, the worst when you're apart. Holiday cheer tends to amplify life. Joy and sadness alike. When you're apart, you generally tend to be saddened by witnessing others' joy. Like a homeless man with his face pressed against a bakery window. Pain cause just by being denied the one thing we want most, while all the while having it dangled constantly in our faces. The feeling wears. 
And what's more is I would never let you know this. Even if you might be mired in these holiday blues, too, I could take the chance of turning up no reflection of my own loneliness. 
Of course, there's the gift-giving, and the family meals, the drawn out stories and the laughter. But then, there is the other side of the holidays; where everything is ending around us and we are planning our new beginnings. 
I let my mind run wild on this point. Will you be in a crowded place, shouting at your friends over frosty glasses? Trying to act calm when they start their hunt for the girls they'll ring in the new year with? Will you be? Will your lips ghost over another girl's while the people erupt with cheers and glass-clinking around you? Will I cross your mind?
You're supposed to be planning new beginnings with me. I wonder how many years I'll have to start fresh without you. I wonder how many I'll continue to wait. I wonder if you'll wait at all.

© 2015 JessicaRose


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

68 Views
Added on December 6, 2015
Last Updated on December 6, 2015
Tags: missing, suspicious, long distance

Author

JessicaRose
JessicaRose

Burbank, CA



About
NY----> LA the change in scenery has given me new perspective, and the opportunity to jump back into writing. more..

Writing