The Big Sleep

The Big Sleep

A Story by Lou Tracy
"

Atmospheric writing to the tune of the fantastic theme of "The Big Sleep" by Max Steiner.

"
I've been asleep for a long time. I am awake now. My mind is out there, a tall silhouette clad in a great coat, a fedora and a black suit, rolling a cigarette in its mouth. It's out there marching down the mean streets of my imagination, a shadow moving from street light to street light, face draped in darkness, eyes on the leads that go down crossroads shrouded in the unknown. 
I've been asleep alright. A muddy road months long is spread out behind me and far away, at the end of the road I can see myself waving at me, a remnant of the last time I was awake, the last time I wrote. Like the moon, my reflection moves with me, yet never can I reach it. It's been too long. 
I used to be so close that I could shake my hand, clap myself on the shoulder, give myself a hug and play a game of bridge without moving, but now I can't. All I can do now is look up to the black sky, the stars shrouded in the smog of the city and the towering buildings, wait for dawn to break, lay down and wake in the morning, only to sleep the Big Sleep once more.

© 2014 Lou Tracy


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is different and cool! I was a little confusing when around the part where you mention the moon (but that's probably just me hehe) but still very nice work!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lou Tracy

9 Years Ago

Thank you!
Sunny

9 Years Ago

You're welcome

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
1 Review
Added on June 28, 2014
Last Updated on July 11, 2014
Tags: atmosphere, city, fantastic, stream of consciousness, romantic, cynical

Author

Lou Tracy
Lou Tracy

Sofia, Sofia, Bulgaria



Writing