benny's house

benny's house

A Story by Last Minute Lani

 

I love everything about this house from the creatively cluttered interior, down to the extraordinary personalities of the people that live here. The whole experience begins as I drive down the recycled asphalt lined with jack pines, opening up to reveal my destination on the left. I park to the side of an old swing-set under a silver maple, out of the way of the many other cars parked in front.
The door is always open, yet I stand outside and knock on the screen, waiting for the warm reply of “You can just come in, ya know.” I smile and enter as Sophia, a tiny mass of white fur bouncing around excitedly, slides across the wooden floor to welcome me with high pitched yapping. A German Shepard’s booming voice overcomes the other as she briskly sniffs me out. I instantly ditch my flip-flops in the mess of the many other shoes and knickknacks decorating the entryway and hop up the steps hoping that the barking will cease, trying to atone for starting the animalian chaos.
Atop the stairs is the computer desk and around the banister, is the piano that like most everything is covered in books and various oddities. The kitchen is separated by the dining and living room by half-wall arches, which Mrs. Stenberg appears around from and apologizes for either her present semblance or the supposed disarray around me. I don’t consider it messy, but more like things are “casually” placed. I thoughtfully gaze around, opting for a seat; which is customarily our homework spot by the computer while listening to the best of Bob Dylan. Sometimes it’s at the table where Becka is hidden behind the glow of her Mac. This leaves the living room, my favorite choice, both comfortable and great for conversing with anyone.
The basement is more closed off from the upstairs, lit dimly enough to see within close proximity, revealing a few doors leading to bedrooms. Aaron and Josh are usually sitting on an enormous bean bag in the middle of the room immersed in a video game, while Nate is lounging on a nearby couch watching something on another screen. His prominent laugh roars throughout and even carries up the stairs sometimes. Reuben is often masterfully idling away on his guitar, in his room, known to have a confederate flag lamented on the closet door. Benny has no usual habitat. Instead he drifts aimlessly to wherever the most action is.
The Stenberg family, and their individual lifestyles coming together and reflecting on the inside and out, really make this house what it is. Each enthralling personality and the family as a whole keep things interesting and make it one of my favorite places to be.
 

© 2008 Last Minute Lani


Author's Note

Last Minute Lani
another english class assignment
it can only be 450 words..yeah i know. sucks.

so yeah

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

97 Views
Added on May 6, 2008
Last Updated on May 11, 2008

Author

Last Minute Lani
Last Minute Lani

MN



About
hey. i'm Lani, 17. singer, songwriter, musician i've always loved to write and i love to talk. so i guess you can say my writing comes out alot like how i talk. enjoy more..

Writing