The Clock

The Clock

A Story by LastMonth
"

Time wasted laughing, crying, staring or making errors is all part of life. Is it really a waste at all..?

"

A man opened his eyes to the ticking of a clock. 

The room was bleached in white, it delivered an almost painful jolt to his brain.

 

''...Do you know why you are here..?''

 

A voice asked, stoic and low. His husky tone did little to calm him.

The man turned his head to his left, then to his right, whomever this voice belonged to, he was not present in the room.

 

Tick, tick, tock.

He took note of the clock. It was set upon the ground before him. The only object in this hollow space.

Tick, tick, tock. 

 

''In an hour, your daughter will die. Go now, and you may still make it in time.'' 

The voice boomed once more, bathing the room in its presence. Almost as if it came from nowhere, and everywhere at once. A voice without an owner. Was his mind playing tricks on him?

 

Colors and sights blended into one, his feet could no longer reassure him that he was standing on solid ground. His temples ignited with searing, hot pain. Everything spun and turned into a mess. Was he about to throw up his lunch..?


-----------------------------------------------------------

 

''...Get outta the way! Damn it!'' 


The man's eyes shot open. It was not the ticking of a clock. He was awake from a slumber of a sort, yet he was standing on his feet.


''Are you freaking deaf?! Haul your a*s!'' 

It was a rather burly man, carrying luggage, trying to nudge him without actually shoving him. 


He... He was daydreaming..? Did he just fall asleep in the middle of this place..?

 

Shoving, yelling, a bustling airport. He had no time to waste. An Airport, he knew where he was. He remembered the signs from his last visit on thanksgiving. There was no time to waste. 

 

The man frantically fingered his pockets, there was no wallet there. He couldn't get a Taxi. His blood boiled and the veins throbbed within his arms and legs. The pounding in his chest became insufferable when his body acted without command from the mind. He started running. 

 

A man running within one of the busiest airports in the country was not going to go unattended, or without notice. Security guards sprung to the scene as if shot from a catapult. ''…Hey you! Stop right there! Why are you running..?!''

 

He didn't have time to explain.

And who would believe him..? What if this was all in his mind..?

Could he be daydreaming about all of this--- He ought to stop. The man planted his feet at the ground and spun around to meet the offended guards.

 

''..I'm sorry.. I don't know what came over me'' The bigger of the two tackled him to the ground with force, releasing the valve in his stomach and with it all of his oxygen. A groan of disagreement was not late to arrive. ''..I give.. I give, I'm sorry..!'' He pleaded but they already had him in cuffs.

 

Everything else was a blur. But there was something, all that while, tucked neatly at the back of his mind. He could almost swear that the ticking was still there. Weak, faded but maddeningly present. The Guards begun to rummage through his belongings, they removed his coat and emptied his pockets. The Wallet was there after all, how irresponsible of him. He could've avoided all of this.

 

''..What's that, pretty fancy.'' The smaller one croaked with surprise, examining a small object. It was round and golden, with a long chain linking it from one end to another in a loop meant to be wired around a coat's button. A clock.

 

The man's eyes nearly left their sockets. It wasn't a daydream. The clock was there all the time. And the ticking, what was a soft, nearly inconsequential background note was now an insufferable and blatant ticking.

Tick, tick, tock.

 

He leapt as if shot out of a cannon, with his hands cuffed behind his back, his mobility was not as hindered as it could've been. Instincts overwhelmed his mind, goading him into mad acts, and he crashed into the guard. The unsuspecting victim collapsed into the ground, the clock flipping in the air in what appeared to be slowed motion.

 

With the fervor of a madman, he clenched his teeth around the clock, catching it with skill not unlike that of a hound trying to fetch a stick. Once more the heart forced itself on the mind, and the thought of the 'Dream' being true, with all it's consequences followed drove him to run as fast as he could.

 

Tick, tick, tock.

His muscles were crying for rest, but the clock won't stop. Neither could he.

Tick, tick, tock.

Feet became numb, eyes weary and throat dry. But he kept going. Her house wasn't that far away.

Tick, tick, tock.

 

He was being followed; at least half a dozen guards trailed him while flailing their batons.

Tick, tick, tock.

 

He saw her. It was her back, but he knew it was her. She was carrying her newly born child, a beautiful son with cerulean eyes and wheat colored hair. The little one turned to him, waving his hand. 

Tick, tick, tock.

 

It was almost time, the pain was gone, the weariness was lost, all replaced with hesitant relief. 

He was there in time. He doubled over and took all the breath he could before shouting at her the top of his lungs.

 

''...Swe---'' 

Little attention did he pay to the blistering lights and the speeding truck as it blindsided him.

Tick, tick..... Tock.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------


A young woman opened her eyes to the ticking of a clock.

The room was bleached in white, it delivered an almost painful jolt to her brain.

 

''...Do you know why you are here..?''

 

© 2016 LastMonth


Author's Note

LastMonth
Just another story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very enjoyable read- it kept me engrossed in both the reality of the man's actions and the feeling of time running out. The chain of the ticking clock not being broken with his actions to reach his daughter was quite a twist. How many things do we inherit from our ancestors creating an unbroken chain like this? And how many times does the suritt of our belief drive us right to the brink of disaster? If only he had looked up sooner . . . I like the tone, the mystery and the writing of this piece, and it seems there may be more to tell. Most enjoyable and well done!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Oh, Kind of you to stop by. You're most welcome here.
I'm glad you enjoyed this.

read more
LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Ahhh.. comment was eaten. Long story short, Thank you!
Marianne Rose

7 Years Ago

You're welcome- I like the depth of your writing, and will try to get to more of your stories as tim.. read more



Reviews

Very enjoyable read- it kept me engrossed in both the reality of the man's actions and the feeling of time running out. The chain of the ticking clock not being broken with his actions to reach his daughter was quite a twist. How many things do we inherit from our ancestors creating an unbroken chain like this? And how many times does the suritt of our belief drive us right to the brink of disaster? If only he had looked up sooner . . . I like the tone, the mystery and the writing of this piece, and it seems there may be more to tell. Most enjoyable and well done!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Oh, Kind of you to stop by. You're most welcome here.
I'm glad you enjoyed this.

read more
LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Ahhh.. comment was eaten. Long story short, Thank you!
Marianne Rose

7 Years Ago

You're welcome- I like the depth of your writing, and will try to get to more of your stories as tim.. read more
O my...I wish to read more. I want to know what happened after this. I love such stories that make you think and wish for more. I want to write this way.

Posted 7 Years Ago


LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thank you. :)
But sometimes it's best to end it on a high note.
I very much like the ambiguity of this story. The flow and pacing are well and good. I liked some of the smaller details. There were a few technical errors in this story. They don't impede the story or comprehension at all. I don't know if you care to fix them. If you do, I can point them out to you.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your review. If you could point them out, I'd appreciate it. I want to fix them.
This is truly wonderful -- full of intrigue and suspense -- and a very clever ending. If you ever want help with minor edits, they are very minor, I'd be happy to help.

Posted 7 Years Ago


LastMonth

7 Years Ago

As is the case in the 'Devil in the Field', I strive to improve and perfect. I would appreciate it i.. read more
Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

I shall send in a PM when I have a moment.
Wow. Certainly got my blood pumping this morning! It makes me wonder if it's Death calling the listener and tricking them. As if he's bored and playing a game. Wonderful writing, keep it up!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Who knows :)
Thank you for reading and reviewing.
LOVE LOVE LOVE !! this was amazing, If you have the chance to look at my short story " Games " , id really love some feedback from you !

Posted 7 Years Ago


wow original ending. good one, M. I like it. I see you've dropped the rhyme this time. but great pace and the suspense is good.
well done!!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Now that story had my heart racing. Wow, you know you have talent right!? This was an amazing short story. I am very impressed. One of your best so far I feel. And yeah, the twist at the end..... lol. It was fabulous. I'm pretty jealous of this one! :) Stay inspired!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thank you Andronicus. I appreciate you taking the time to read this. And I appreciate the compliment.. read more
This is the best thing of yours that I've read so far. This is brilliant in (1) intensely vivid description, and (2) suspenseful action compelling from start to finish. I'm not following the entire story (it's a little "out there" in places), but that doesn't matter, becuz it's just a startlingly refreshing read filled with imagery. The two paragraphs starting with "He leapt as if shot out of a cannon . . . " are especially filled with brilliant imagery & suspenseful action, but there are also many other spots just as compelling. Great job.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Barely! Would you be amused if I told you I'm currently reading some books in english just for that .. read more
barleygirl

7 Years Ago

Love hearing about your exercises in better mastering English. I never would've guessed that you spe.. read more
Oh.my.god.The ending was so unexpected! And I love the plot, how it flows so perfecrtly. And again, the ending just left me goung like,
"Whaaat? Not expected." And that's why it's so good. Another one of your marvelous writings.

P.s- if you think I may be stalking your writing, I plead guilty ; )

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

There's nothing wrong with stalking.
Thank you for the review Hycinth, I'm pleased that you .. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

948 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 10, 2016
Last Updated on July 16, 2016
Tags: Time

Author

LastMonth
LastMonth

Tiberias, The Southern Galil, Israel



About
I like writing, I suppose. English is not my native tongue, I picked it up at school and mostly improved it through computers. In my early 20's and would appreciate thoughtful and impactful review.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..