The Threat Was The Easy Part

The Threat Was The Easy Part

A Story by LaurLaur33
"

A short story of a young man called to save his country only to be betrayed by the women he loved.

"

It had been a long six months. I was completely drained, of everything. The only thing that kept my eyes open was the thought of seeing my girl. Nothing else mattered to me in that moment then getting home to see her. To pull her into my arms and inhale her shampoo scented hair. To touch my dry cracked lips to hers and laugh as they clashed. I hadn’t heard the sound of her voice in six months or kissed her goodnight in just as many.

As maddening as the distance made me I knew I had to leave. I knew the only choice I had was to carry out the mission and stop The Threat from completely destroying this beautiful world that I love; that holds so many people I love. Leave the ones I love to save the ones I love. The choice was clear. And so I went for six months. Near and far, in the shadows, to destroy The Threat.

I had a small team that carried out the mission with me; all suffering in loneliness together. Well except Mike, he didn’t seem to miss anyone. I sure hope that’s the case so no one had to mourn his death. I don’t know how we were chosen. Some instrumental skill we each possessed that the unit deemed necessary. Nonetheless we were selected and offered the chance to save the world. At this point we were all too innocent and naïve to realize the sacrifices that would accompany this chance. But we all accepted wanting to be heroes in some way or another.

“But you can’t go babe, I need you here.”

“I know, I want to stay, believe me. But if someone tells you that you can help save the world how do I say no. How do I turn my back on that?”

“How can you turn your back on this, on me?”

            The last conversation I had with her before I left. The conversation that kept replaying in my mind the whole six months. The motivation for me to complete the mission and prove to her that this was the right decision, the responsible decision.

Relief. What I felt the moment the mission was complete. Relief that I would get to go home. Relief that I was good enough to live up to the expectations the unit had set for me, the expectations I had set on myself. And hope that she would finally understand why I had to leave.

I had tried calling the moment we had access to a phone. There was no answer. Surely she couldn’t still be upset. Surely she saw the news and understood my role and how I was part of a plan that was decided for me. I called my brother after that.

            “Man, I can’t believe you were a part of all this. That’s so cool man. I just can’t believe you had it in you.”

            “Yeah, yeah, shut up Matt. Hey how’s everyone, how’s mom and dad? How’s Julie? You guys weren’t affected at all right?”

            “No man, were all good. Mom’s balling her eyes out but I guess that’s no different than any other day. Dad’s good. He seems proud of you.”

            “Good. Good. That was the plan. To keep you guys safe. Hey one more thing, I couldn’t reach May. Have you heard from her at all since I’ve been gone?”

            “Oh Jay, you haven’t heard?”

            “No. Heard what?” I couldn’t breathe at this point, the sound of despair in my brother’s voice was unsettling.

            “May, uh, she, well, maybe we should just fill you in when you get here. Yeah, I think that might be better.”

            “No, Matt, don’t hang up…” Beeeeeeeeeeeeeep. The line went dead before I could ask another question.

            So there I sat. Confused and worried that something might have happened to her. The plan for sleep was quickly replaced with the attempt to stay calm the rest of the drive home. After several pleads with the driver to kindly floor it I finally arrived home to my brother’s house.

            Everyone was gathered for a welcome home dinner in my honor. I didn’t want that. I just wanted to see May and for her to understand why I did what I did. My worry was replaced with darkness as my brother shared the news. She had been abducted one month after I left and no one had seen or heard from her since. I couldn’t breathe.  I couldn’t speak. I couldn’t see. I was just darkness.

            After the shock wore off the questions started pouring out.

            “When exactly did she go missing? Did anyone see her abductors? Was there a ransom note of any kind? Why?”

Why, she was just an innocent girl. Was this because of me? I continued asking myself.

I got the answers, just not the ones I had wanted. Apparently her abductors were a part of the threat. She didn’t struggle. This led investigators to believe she knew her abductors and in fact went with them willingly. Which meant she was a part of The Threat the whole time. Which is maybe why she begged me to stay. Was that her mission? Was that her purpose? And when she failed to keep me here she was taken? Was she harmed because of me? Was our love even real? I continued to question.   

Everything I thought was a lie. I was so confused I couldn’t even mourn for her. I didn’t know what to feel. I missed her so much for so long. I felt so betrayed that a person could hide so much about themselves; I was convinced she loved me. I was convinced after I had completed the mission we would grow old together. Now I just wish The Threat had never happened, that I was never chosen, and that I never experienced the love I had for her. Then I wouldn’t have this dark numbing feeling in my chest every time I took a breath.

Only twenty four hours after I returned home there was a knock at my door. I was up all night reliving every moment May and I shared. Every touch, every smile, every caress; all lies. All a cover to get me to fall in love with her and not accept the mission that I was given. My mind was still spinning as I let the detective in.

            “Hello Mr. Haddery. I am Detective Lacey Stevens. I have been assigned to your girlfriend’s case.” She extended her hand to shake mine. I reluctantly mirrored her and we shook hands. She responded to my silence with a polite smile. In that moment I didn’t think about May. I thought about her cute smile and soft touch. I was surprised how quickly May disappeared from my mind.

“Hello. I’m Jay.” I said proudly.

She snickered, “I know Mr. Haddery I have all your information right here in my files.”

“Oh.” I realized how dumb that might just have been. But I was mourning, I had an excuse.

“Now, I have been fully caught up on her case here. I understand you just returned home however, I would like to ask you some questions about the abduction.”

“But I wasn’t here. How could I possibly help?”

“I just want to clear a few things up and ask if you can identify a few key people in the case. Will that be okay Mr. Haddery? Will you be able to remain objective?”

“Let’s just get one thing clear Detective Stevens, I will be nothing but objective. She lied to me for eight months. She plotted against me and the rest of this country for who knows how long. And frankly, she broke my heart. I would like nothing more than to see her caught or held responsible for her part in all this. And, to also take down anyone else involved so nothing like The Threat can happen again.” I looked her dead in the eyes and didn’t break contact until she acknowledged my speech.

She stayed for another hour or so and we went into detail about what happen to May and their theories. She wanted to know if I had anything to add or if I had any theories. I had nothing. I had only found out my supposed girlfriend wasn’t only a traitor to me but to the country as well. I couldn’t process any why’s yet. Honestly I didn’t know if I ever would be able to.

Detective Stevens left me her card and asked for me to contact her if I thought of anything else that might be important to figuring this whole thing out. I thanked her for finding answers and we shook hands again as she walked out my front door.

Every week we would meet up for coffee to discuss the progress in the case. The first week she found a lot. I was able to put names to a few faces they were still in the dark on. That seemed to put a few pieces together for her unit. She was the leader. I liked that. But the following weeks nothing seemed to pan out. But I didn’t mind. I began to enjoy meeting Lacey for coffee. We began discussing other things aside from the case. I started looking forward to seeing her. Not to talk about my missing traitor ex-girlfriend, but to talk to her as a person.

It was probably about the fifth week when Lacey gave me the news.

“We found her Jay. We are bringing her back as we speak. She will be her by morning.” She touched my arm as she gave me the news trying to console me. “We got her.” She softly said looking right into my eyes. Right into my soul. Like she knew that all I needed was for May to be found so I could know she was safe and ask her all the questions I needed answers too. So I could finally move on.

We went to the prison together the next morning. She picked me up in her car with two coffees in the holders. She greeted me with the same sweet smile I saw the first time she knocked on my door and I knew with her by my side this whole day would be so much easier. I had to remember to tell her that when we were through. But for now I just sipped my coffee and enjoyed her company.

I was given ten minutes with the former love of my life. I was relieved she was alive. I was relieved she surrendered easily and was cooperating with the detectives. But I wasn’t relieved by how cold she seemed. How unlike May she seemed. Everything she told me was what I had deep down already known. I was only a mission. She never really loved me. She never could love me. And in that moment I knew I would never love her again.

I walked out of the room with my head low sulking in my own misfortune. Until I saw Lacey. Her stupid cute smile. Her stupid cute eyes. I just couldn’t help but smile. I told her how I appreciated her help in finding May and getting me my closure. I told her I appreciated her taking my feelings and broken heart into account. She simply answered, “I had my heart broken once. It sucked.”

“No kidding.” We laughed and joked the rest of the ride home.

Months passed. The darkness lightened. My feelings for May slowly faded to a faint memory. Now I found myself focusing on a different lady. A more genuine lady. Detective Lacey Stevens.

It was a warm Sunday afternoon. Lacey and I were in the park with my family having a lazy day by the pond. The sun shinned through her hair and she smiled that damn cute smile. In that moment I knew the reason I was chosen for the mission. So it would all end like this.

© 2015 LaurLaur33


Author's Note

LaurLaur33
I need help with grammar!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
Added on June 26, 2015
Last Updated on June 26, 2015
Tags: short story, fiction, hero, love, betrayed

Author