Facing the Truth

Facing the Truth

A Story by Laura Monique
"

What happens when one's brutal past is brought up in the face of another child? Joyce, a mother of one has been working to help abused teens regain a normal life. But what happens when she must face the reality of her own abusive child hood being played o

"

"  I never liked to dwell on my past, and I never liked it brought up. I thought maybe one day I couldforget it, or--maybe I could do something for someone else to heal the pain, and ignore it. That'swhy I sit here day in, and day out. Although my only problem was I never wanted to draw from myown expierences to help another soul--and I definatly never told anyone anything about my past Until one day It was like God sent her to me.”

CHAPTER UNO

 

Bacon sizzled loudly on the stove top of Joyce's New York City Home. Coffee dripped for what seemed like hours to Joyce. Her anticipation for a sip grew.  This mornings rountine was much like every other morning. She spent her time making breakfast, scanning through the news paper, and immpatiently waiting for her  first sip of coffee that will most likely followed by many others. Steph came wildly flying down the stairs, and right out the door before her mother could even attempt to get her to change her cloths, it was nothing she wasn’t used to be she would prefer her daughter dressed lighter. Likewise, it was time to go, and the coffee went off she quickly took a couple sips, and out the door she went.
 Finally, work.  Joyce walked into a small room where much of it was taken up by a overly sized desk with papers scattered acrossed it. The desk light flickered as if about to go off. She kept it on even when she didn’t need it. The fire place to the left of the room crackled, and sent a comfortable feeling to anyone who entered the room. Joyce meant for the room to have that feeling. She wanted who ever came in to feel as if they can talk, and be at home. The walls were painted a tan colour and had palm tree’s going up the sides of her walls. Gave a tropical feel to it. She sat down at her desk and put on her glasses. Waiting for her day to begin. It wasn’t long until her assistant Tag walked in ready for her  first appoint ment.
A small sized girl walked in. The way she walked gave on an attitude imppression which Joyce could right off the back tell she would be a toughy. After working as a threapist she could read a person from front to back in a matter of sixty seconds. It was what the school was for. Taught an amatuer to be a expert.
“ I don’t know why I’m here and don’t expect me to talk to you” The punkish girl played with her hair as she spoke. “ I think you do know why you’re here and you don’t have to talk if you don’t want to, it would be nice to get to know you better though.  Joyce smiles.  The girl sat there quietly twideling her thumbs, and not even speaking up. Joyce watched. She noticed the girl had a couple of cuts on her writs.
“Look I know you don’t want to talk, but can you atleast tell me your name” Joyce played as though she didn’t know her name. She did. It was right in front of her. Katie.  “It’s Katie “ she replied. “ And you know what else?  Why bother with someone who was beat, and abused? I mean your not going to change me hating my life or anything like that so I don’t know why your wasting your time. “ She opened up. Most of the people like that end up opening up because when they sit quitely they start to ponder about why their there, and they want to finally let it out and talk to someone about it.  “ It’s not a bother to me Katie. I like to talk about problems and maybe who knows out of a little mircle I could help you. You can talk to me and start any where you wanted too, I’ll just listen, and if you want my opinion you can ask me for it and I’ll gladly give you it . How does that sound?” Joyce’s smile slowly eased Katie to comfort. She began her story.
“Well it all started when I was six years old…..”

Flash back

Joyce  sat at the dinner table of her mother and father’s house. Cathy twenty-nine, and robert Thirty throwing insults back at eachother intensely. Sending a Chill down Joyce’s back. Tears began to fall from her face. Christmas lights lit up just the windows of her house, and the tree was basically dead, and dried out. “ You know you’re a pathetic women, I don’t know why I married someone like you. You don’t even make a good dinner” Robert wasn’t a nice man. Not after they got married anyways. He was never good in high school either. It all started with the cursing, and raised higher and higher. Cathy’s excuse to stay in the relationship was “ I love him” She took it for years, and today didn’t make a difference. She knew the day she got pregnant she was stuck for good. This was why she sucked it up and back him up for her whole life. She was afraid of being a single mom alone in the world. “ Oh, and what do you do huh? You don’t even make enough money for me to be capable of making a good dinner!?” She fought back for herslelf, but it always lead to a higher form of fighting. “ Well maybe if we didn’t have a stupid little baby, we wouldn’t have to feed three mouths, and we could be living the high roads. But noo the stupid b*** had to get pregnant!”  That’s when it all started. The minute Cathy’s belly started to poke out Robert turned into someone she didn’t even know.  Cathys eyes began to shine “ Robert, why can’t you just let her enjoy one day of her life I mean its almost christmas Leave her alone, don’t inslut her. After all it was your fault. You’re the one that wanted to have sex so early!” Anger flew from her eyes, and he didn’t like the challenge. “ SO YOUR SAYING this sh** is my fault?! Your saying she can’t have a good Christmas because me? Is that what your saying to me? “  Cathy’s posture changed rapidly as she backed herself into a wall. “ You need to calm down robert.” He quickly raised his fist in the air, and Joyce began to scream. “Daaaddddddyyyy” Robert furiously turned around, and yelled. “ WHAT, You don’t want me to hit your fat mom. She deserves it! Look at her! LOOK! “ Joyce began to cry. “ I loovve youu.. “ her face exploded in tears. It’s all Joyce knew to say that made her mom smile. She thought Just maybe it would make her dad calm down. “ YOU LOVE ME? Yeah, that’s likely. Don’t give me that Sh**”

Joyce finally popped out of her past she finally realized that she spaced out. Katie had rambled on for about a hour before Joyce realized it was time to stop talking, she was a little bit shaky. “  I think that’s good for today” She softly said in a shocked tone.” I’ve learned a lot about you. I’m sure we can review next time and continue to discuss this.” She said this because she spaced out and felt really bad about it. She knew she could pull herself together for next time. Although she wasn’t sure she could handle this. She didn’t like this at all. The past being brought up. Katie thanked her and poliently without an attitude walked out of the room. Joyce began to cry. She couldn’t believe this had finally been happening to her again. Not again she thought. This couldn’t possibly be happening to her all over again. It was just a dream. Just some werid dream that had not ever happened to her. She quickly dug through her purse and pulled out a bottle of medications. Poping one into her mouth she gulped down her water, and sat at her desk. She rested her head on her hand. It was nearly time to go home, but she wasn’t ready. She needed to relax.

© 2008 Laura Monique


Author's Note

Laura Monique
Ignore grammer, etc. not even close to final Draft, and also i'm taking the screenplay i did for this and attempting to turn it into a book i've never done this so it might kinda suck :P What do you think of the plot so far?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
Added on June 4, 2008
Last Updated on June 4, 2008

Author

Laura Monique
Laura Monique

UT, LV, L.A, N.Y, UT



About
Laura Monique, I've been writing for about 2 years now-- Well okay, since I could hold up a pencil but you know what i mean. Trying to actually write stories and all. : ) Basically I do it for me, and.. more..

Writing
New New

A Story by Laura Monique