Let Them Live

Let Them Live

A Poem by LawrenceRaybon
"

My reaction to the backhanded way the Women's Clinic is being treated in Mississippi. I would never choose to have a child of mine aborted, but I will not force my choice on another person.

"

Let them live

That is the mantra

Let them live

That is the cry


Let them live

All life is sacred

Let them live

They would choose not to die!


Let them live

For they might be doctors

Let them live

So they can cure cancers


Let them live

For they might be thinkers

Let them live

To reveal all life’s answers


Let them live

They are our future

Let them live

Without them we’re lost


Let them live

Nothing else matters

Let them live

No matter the cost…


And let them live

Unwanted, unloved

And let them live

Abused or worse


And let them live

For nothing else matters

And let them live

Though their life is a curse


And let them live

To be battered and broken

And let them live

To get hooked on drugs


And let them live

To learn all life’s hardships

And let them live

To turn out as thugs


And let them live

In fragmented families

And let them live

Not knowing their dad


And let them live

It’s what they would want, right?

And let them live

Then tell them, “It’s not so bad.”


And make them live

But know what you’re asking

And make them live

It’ll be on your head


And make them live

But you'll share the blame

And make them live

When they wish they were dead.

© 2014 LawrenceRaybon


Author's Note

LawrenceRaybon
I know this poem will make some people uncomfortable, and I am sorry for that. But, as a child, I often wished I had never been born. Any child of mine will be loved with all my heart, mind and soul.

Can those who wish to force people to have unwanted children promise the same kind of love to those children?

If you like this poem please consider checking it out on Tallenge and voting for it!
http://www.tallenge.com/vote/vote.aspx?vid=178e7ddc-e4b3-4fa3-872c-f819354b8d71

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love this. It has beautiful flow. Life is precious and every life should be treated as such. You addressed two humungo issues here and did so poetically to boot! I don't like that society tells us to 'keep our beliefs and opinions to ourselves.' What we beleive about the meaning of life and our morals are important!! More so than all the other crap society replaces them with. What humanity needs to do is learn to accept the fact that not everyone thinks the same! We can't all like butter on our toast! Thanks for sharing! :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
LJW
Gutsy.
Totally two thumbs up.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Fantastic write. Thoughtful, well penned, and bracing. A topic many people shy away form, and understandably so. The idea of choosing death over life goes against all things our brain are wired for. Choice is the most volatile action humans have.

Posted 9 Years Ago


This is good, I definitely agree with the sentiment -- especially how sometimes women who seek abortions could have much worse lives or even go through pain or death themselves if they gave birth to the child! This is a good structure, and I like the rhyme scheme, but I think you could change the format (if you wanted) so it was more list-like and call it a litany poem (see my "Ginger is the Root"). I also feel like, after a lot of your refrains ("Let them live") there should probably be a colon, a dash, or at least a comma -- plus, there are only 4 end punctuation pieces in the whole poem, so it could probably use some more. However, like I said, I like the lilting rhythm and the rhyme scheme: they give a playful or sarcastic feel to the poem.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love this. It has beautiful flow. Life is precious and every life should be treated as such. You addressed two humungo issues here and did so poetically to boot! I don't like that society tells us to 'keep our beliefs and opinions to ourselves.' What we beleive about the meaning of life and our morals are important!! More so than all the other crap society replaces them with. What humanity needs to do is learn to accept the fact that not everyone thinks the same! We can't all like butter on our toast! Thanks for sharing! :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I think you were correct about the poem making some uncomfortable. I started reading with the feeling that this was an anti-abortion piece, but finished with the intended message. Well writ.
r

Posted 9 Years Ago


Such a very powerful write, nicely penned.

Kaze~

Posted 9 Years Ago


This was really interesting.
I enjoyed the slow transformation from seemingly hopeful to tragic. I also loved the change to "make them live"

Posted 9 Years Ago


I tire of political stances from people who have no true compassion, or common sense. It would be more humane to sterilize everyone before they are able to have children. Parenting appears to be a lost art in the modern world. In order to have the sterilization reversed those wanting children should demonstrate the ability to provide a stable, nurturing, responsible, home environment. After that is accomplished there would need to be an education about all the relevant issues a parent will face in their life as a result of having children. At that point, if they choose to procreate, there should be more education on how to raise a child and preparing the child for life in today's world. This should be the most important part of every scholastic curriculum. The three r's (reading,writing,and arithmetic) are useless to an unwanted child. If anyone makes a stand about the right to life, I agree. However life requires more than a survival of the fittest, hands off, no morals, no guidance, no sustainable future, approach to parenting. We are raising a generation of me-first-and-only me-types, instead of raising the people who will change the world for the better. No one needs to be killed without a chance. Everyone deserves to be raised in a loving, respectful, responsible, informed, manner. It is too bad when people care more about what their neighbors have, than how they raise their children. This is not rocket science. It is fundamentally preparing for the future we want and deserve. CAN I GET A WITNESS?

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LawrenceRaybon

9 Years Ago

I agree. As I look around, especially in my neighborhood, it's children raising children. People w.. read more
VALORMORE DE PLUME

9 Years Ago

I read your profile. You want constructive feedback, with positive guidance. Therefore, I might sug.. read more
LawrenceRaybon

9 Years Ago

I felt like the last two stanzas made my point. They make the point that if you are pro-life you ar.. read more
A very interesting poem which really hits home. It starts out optimistic then takes a turn to describing the darker sides of life. I have a motto that what a woman wants to do with her body is her business, but recently I was discussing the issue with a friend and she said, well, no, it's not a woman's body, it's her baby's body that is being destroyed. I had never considered that point and this made it really hard for me to be able to take a stance on the issue one way or another. My views have changed a few times on this issue. Growing up Catholic, I grew up pro-life also. As I drifted away from the church and more toward science and then eastern spirituality and now a combination of the two, I understand that life is life no matter what labels we put on it. Death is a part of life, an inevitable part, the only true guarantee we get out of it. Death is seen as being terrible, negative, but without death, new life couldn't thrive. I really enjoyed your use of the form to describe something that inevitably polarizes any group of people in an objective way. The opinion you state is clear, but I like the way you take a roundabout way of getting to it, arguing the other side first.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LawrenceRaybon

9 Years Ago

Thanks for the review, I'm glad you liked it!

My wife and her parents are very Cathol.. read more
I understand your point-of-view, and it opens a can of worms. We need sensible population control until we're able to colonize our solar system, but for many ethical people it would be inhumane to ignore the unborn as collateral damage to this goal. The resources of the Earth are limited, and so our Earth ( our natural life support system) dies as we grow in size. Once the eco-system of the Earth is dead, then we all die together unless we can expand into outer space. Ethical people should be willing to adopt and care for unwanted children to back up their ethical stand. Ethical people should put up or shut up. There are well over a million unwanted handicapped children in the United States that these Ethical people should adopt tomorrow at their own expense if they really do care about them as they say they do. Please ethical people, get to it; get to it now! Don’t just speak up for the unborn, bleed your entire bank account and all of your time caring for them!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Aethereal

9 Years Ago

You're welcome! I'm surprised that you dare to set foot into social quagmires such as this. Should w.. read more
LawrenceRaybon

9 Years Ago

I feel that if no one is willing to think and talk and write about these topics then there is no hop.. read more
Aethereal

9 Years Ago

After millions died of starvation in Mainland China, the Chinese limited how many children a family .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

504 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 1, 2014
Last Updated on May 1, 2014

Author

LawrenceRaybon
LawrenceRaybon

Jackson, MS



About
Hi! I'm an avid reader who loves to write. I also love helping others who are serious about improving their writing! My critiques are in-depth and honest, no ego stroking and I expect the same wh.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Space Space

A Chapter by Matching Socks