The Carrier's Struggle

The Carrier's Struggle

A Story by Guru X The Slam Poet

3. The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.

�"Unknown Author

A quote that I believe above all else reminds me of my mother's journey through life. My mother was not born with a silver spoon in her mouth. In fact her family barely had enough money to put her through school and yet she lives her life as if she has no problems.

After she had completed her high school education, she had two unplanned children which, I would have thought, would send her life spiralling down hill, destroying her dreams of becoming something meaning in the world. Now I don't know about you but I would've just given up on life entirely. She then decided to ask my grandmother to take care of us while she looked for work in Johannesburg, that was in 1999. The following year my dad passed on and left nothing in her's, my sister's nor my name, that very same year my sister was diagnosed with a disease that would eventually leave her blind and ultimately change her life forever, but my mom wasn't fazed by any of this and dealt with it.
A few years later I had to go to high school, by that time my mom had gone through multiple companies before settling at edgars, she didn't earn much but it was enough to sustain us, even after she lost her house. She then got involved with a man that didn't look abusive at first but revealed himself at second glance. She thought the world of him until we moved in with him...he would abuse her regularly but she'd take it because she had no where else to go until recently...even during those time of trial and tribulations she lived like she had it all, she was happy, maybe not all day everyday but often enough to keep her hopeful for the future. She never needed money nor material things to prove that she was full of happiness and love, all she had was faith and that was enough.

© 2013 Guru X The Slam Poet


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on June 11, 2013
Last Updated on June 11, 2013

Author

Guru X The Slam Poet
Guru X The Slam Poet

Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa



About
The universe's b*****d child. more..

Writing