No Name Part 2

No Name Part 2

A Story by Leanne Conway

    A girl 17 years old lay on the top of a picnic table in the misting rain listening to music while the sun sank below the horizon. She use to come to this park with her father every Tuesday when he would get home from work, but she hasn't been here since the week before he past. She would often wouldn't how it would be different if he were still here, maybe he would have known that he was going to be a father to a beautiful newborn boy named Ashton. She could feel the tears slowly growing at the brims of her eyes, but instead of letting them fall she smiled. In the middle of her thought her phone began ringing, she didn't have to look at the screen to know her mom was calling her. Slowly she sat up to notice that sun had gone down and the rain had picked up a little, she answer her phone with a weak hello and I'm on my way home. Her mother said "Okay sweetie, dinner is almost ready. I love you...." She trained off at the end. She smiled and said it back before hanging up.
    She began her lonely walk home when they rain started to pour down on her. She sighed looking up and asked "why now... couldn't you have waited..?" she smirked as she tightened her jacket around her and rushed home. When she came through the front door she was soaking wet and the rain was dripping off her onto the hardwood floor. Her mother looked at her with this smile and began laughing, she did too. Ashton only three years old looked at them confused, but just shrugged and walked away sipping his juice from his cup. Her mother kissed her forehead and said "go get changed honey, dinners ready." She smiled at her and began to climb the stairs to her room, when she noticed a picture hanging on the wall... it was her father, mother and her standing in front their house when she five. She reached out and touched the picture with her fingertips as her tears slowly began to fall, she wiped them away quickly and ran up the stairs.
    At the dinner table her mother talked about how Ashton started trying to walk up and down the stairs instead of crawling, "Soon he'll be running up and down those stairs like you did when we moved here." She smiled at her mother and nodded, "Yes he will and soon he fall down them like I did too." She laughed remembering their visit to the hospital for her arm just three months after moving in. Her mother laughed, "Do you remember your fathers face when he came running into the hospital room, he was so scared." They both laughed for a good minute.
    After dinner her mother took Ashton upstairs for his bath while Verona stayed downstairs to clean up after dinner. She stacked the plates and carried them to the kitchen sink, she stood there for a while staring out the window into the darkness of their backyard. She sighed and turned to walk out the kitchen flicking the light off. She locked the front door and turned the front porch light on and began her walk upstairs. She stopped at the bathroom door leaned against the frame watching her mother play with Ashton's bath toys with him. She smiled softly and walked to her bedroom and turned her tv on and laid down.
    The next morning she awoke to a horrifying scream from her mother downstairs. She ran downstairs to see her mother standing in the kitchen by broken glass in shock. She reached out to grab her mothers shoulder when she noticed the piece of paper on the counter written in her fathers handwriting. Her mother shook her head grabbing the note throwing it away and began cleaning up the glass. Verona knelt down to help her mother confused on why her mother screamed like that, than she realized all of her fathers stuff was in storage except for a dozen or so photos. All of his love letters he had written to her mother were miles from the house, so how did that appear in the kitchen.
    After the glass was cleaned up, her mother left the kitchen to go get Ashton ready to go to the park. She reached into the trashed and put out the note and read "To my dearest wife, I'm so sorry that our time was shortened and it brings my heart such sadness that I didn't make it to meet our son Ashton. You looked so beautiful at the dinner table and Verona had such a beautiful smile, she looks just like you. I miss you both so very much and I wish my life didn't end the way it did. Til we meet again, Your loving husband Brandon." She dropped the note in the trash can confused. She began thinking, he's gone.. how did he write that note, it couldn't be him, someone must be watching them and toying with their emotions. She grew angry at the thought of someone paying this awful joke on them, let alone breaking into their house and watching them while they enjoy their dinner. She walked around to all the doors and windows checking them, no sign or damage and they were still locked from the night before. She grew confused and puzzled she sat down on the couch wondering if he really did write that note...

© 2016 Leanne Conway


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

265 Views
Added on September 30, 2016
Last Updated on September 30, 2016

Author

Leanne Conway
Leanne Conway

Glen Burnie, MD



About
Just read and find out more..

Writing