A Child's Eyes

A Child's Eyes

A Story by Ashley G.
"

Uhm I'm not really sure where I'm going with this so...

"

Dark hair flowed about as the little girl spun around and around the world growing blurry as she spun faster. A pale yellow sundress on her small form glowing like a beacon in the dusk of night. A strange and long forgotten language flowed from her lips in a cheerful song despite the cruelty of the world around her. As dizziness finally overcame her she fell onto the hard, dead earth that had originally been beneath her bare feet. Cerulean irises stared through the dead branches of old trees at the star speckled sky above her. The stars that used to be so far away now seemed closer than ever as they formed clusters to tell their age long stories. Even as many stars died, another always formed to take its place to tell its own story. She gazed in wonder wishing she could touch a sky that even the tallest willow failed to reach. She heard the sound of a tinkling bell in the distance signaling it was time to get ready for supper. The small child ran through the woods until she found her shoes; hurriedly slipping them on, she continued her race home. Upon reaching the stream she jumped easily from stone to stone until she reached the other side. Her shoes thudded against the ground in her haste losing the usual grace they carried. If she was late for supper again...well, she didn’t want to face the consequences. Near the edge of the forest, a cottage became visible. The smell of her mother’s homemade soup already drafting towards her. SHe ran to the side of the house quickly washed her hands and feet before darting inside. Her mother turned from the pot of soup and looked at her in exasperation.

“Why do you spend so much time in the forest? It can hardly be called beautiful. Did you wash your hands?”

The little girl nods reaching for a small bowl when her mother bats her hands away. 

“Let me see them.” her mother commands and the girl holds out her hands.

“Good enough.” Her mother sighs pouring her a bowl of soup. Once she had accepted the soup, she sat on a stool in the kitchen to eat. Her mother pushed some of her own dark hair behind her ear, her once youthful face now lined with weariness and scorn. A yip of excitement was heard as the girl’s mother opened the door and let in their chubby beagle. The dog immediately dashed over to the child and raised up on his back legs as he attempted to beg her for some of her supper. 

“Down, you stupid mutt, no soup for you.” her mother scolded as she dropped old scraps into his bowl. The dog waddled over to his bowl and sniffed its contents wrinkling his nose before turning back to the girl to beg again. When her mother turned her back, the girl snuck the dog some of her potatoes from the soup. Patting his head before finishing the rest of her meal. She found her gaze wandering back to the forest; her mother would never know of the world she found every time the child went into the forest...

© 2013 Ashley G.


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Ashley G.
Enjoy the read =3

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

greata job:) i loved it:)

Posted 11 Years Ago


I loved this! Could you write another story based off of this one? I would definitely read it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Ashley G.

11 Years Ago

I'm continuing this one =3
Ashley G.

11 Years Ago

Part two updated!
I suggest a continuation to this excellent piece.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Ashley G.

11 Years Ago

'Course. =3
Ashley G.

11 Years Ago

next part is up!
Ethale Captor

11 Years Ago

I will read it soon.
This was really enjoyable. It is very real, and it made me feel like a child again. Please write some more!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow. This is very well written. It's a wonderful start to a book. The imagery is good. I like this.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Excellent story-telling, very well written. You say you don't know where you're going with it, well, it sure is off to a great start. I've begun many stories with a colorful fragment such as this. Sometimes, one only has to follow their characters around for a while until the complete story is visualized.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 17, 2013
Last Updated on February 1, 2013

Author

Ashley G.
Ashley G.

Writing
Baby Girl Baby Girl

A Poem by Ashley G.


Whisper Whisper

A Poem by Ashley G.