Out for a Day

Out for a Day

A Story by Kayla Kathleen

Theodore sat, unwillingly but ever so patiently. As he sat, his mind reached a state in which he began to wander about with his thoughts. Though it was difficult to move, it was possible, but not usually done; for, you see, it took a lot of effort. And for Theodore, although the world he longed for was full of adventure and kind people, he was so far comforted by his complacent life. Most of the day he sat thinking about who he was, or who he one day might be. These thoughts gave him hope.

He had some friends, but most of the others were too shy to speak to him, and some just didn't bother to move, for, as you know, it is difficult. But for Theodore, difficult didn't mean impossible. Eudora treated him kindly, but he had to wonder if kindness would suffice for the rest of his life. Theodore, though pensive and mostly of intelligence, wanted just once to get out.

The fur that he was stuffed with was of a heavy cotton, and his arms and legs were sewn tight to the rest of his body. His joints were still somewhat new because he wasn't altogether played with on a regular basis. Usually he sat on Eudora's bed or on her wooden chair near the door. He liked these positions, though, because he could see the rest of Eudora's bedroom.He was the biggest of her small friends, and usually the only one who spoke.
 

Now, you must understand that the world Theodore to live in caused him to be very careful about when he spoke, because Eudora and other humans had no idea whatsoever that animals could speak. In fact, they were dumb-founded to the point where they actually believed that animals had no presumptuous thoughts and could not move. However, this is where our story takes a turning point.

 

Determined Theodore was more than determined-- He was destined.

© 2011 Kayla Kathleen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think it would make a lovely children's story...go for it...I will buy it for my great grandchild!!! lovely

Posted 12 Years Ago


My goal is to turn this into a children's story! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


This sets the reader up nicely for the surprise in the final paragraph and also caused me to re-read the beginning as I was intrigued to see if you'd left any clues as to the true nature of the narrator! Although this piece sits nicely as a short story in its own right I'd be interested to know in what direction it might have gone. Is it just a children's story or could it perhaps be the start of something more haunting?

Posted 12 Years Ago


Well, I'll be honest and say the ending was not at all expected. Nicely done drawing me in like that. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

218 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 2, 2011
Last Updated on September 4, 2011

Author

Kayla Kathleen
Kayla Kathleen

Elizabethtown, PA



About
I have a strange obsession with Poe... more..

Writing
Us Us

A Poem by Kayla Kathleen