The Brother I Never Had

The Brother I Never Had

A Story by Les
"

Not really a story, more a short thinkpiece on what it might have been like to have had a sibling. My stream of conciousness took me to a place I wasn't expecting to go.

"

 

In my imagination, you would have been two years younger than me. Tousle-haired, lean-faced, razor sharp, with a name like Tom or David, let’s say Tom.

 

As we grew, Mum and Dad would have both had to work to provide for the extra mouth, your mouth. And I would have had to pick up the slack of caring for you. I’d have been at your beck and call, running here and there to meet your every wish.

 

I would have tried to be the model elder brother; patient, kind, caring. Not fussing (or, at least, not showing it) when you broke my favourite toy or tore my new book.

 

You’d have known how to play me and Mum and Dad to ensure you got the best of everything. I’d have been the plodder, while you got the praise for your latest, brilliant, piece of school work. 

 

I’d have tried to teach you soccer, not that I was skilled. But, anyway, you wouldn’t have listened and would have gone ahead and done things your own way. And I’d have been the one told off for taking you home with dirty clothes after you’d finished fooling around.

 

My few friends, you’d have tried to make yours. Maybe, putting me down in front of them. And, by our teens, you’d have tried to steal my girls; not because you wanted them, but just because you could.

 

I try never to hate but, perhaps, by twenty, I’d have hated you. The kid brother who could do no wrong while, somehow, I could never get it right. And, at that point my heart would have hardened. Reconciliation in later life? I don’t think so. Sibling rivalry? You bet!

 

Perhaps being the only child hasn’t been so bad after all.

© 2018 Les


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This really made me smile thinking about my young grandson who, at 5 years of age is quite happy to be an only child, so he says. Who knows how he will feel as he gets older but your words are a great indication. Great write! Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Les

1 Year Ago

Thanks for your kind words Dara. I’ve never minded being without siblings. I suppose the only down.. read more
Thank you for finally writing the truth about siblings! *smile* In a way, I was imagining that you were trying to talk yourself OUT of wanting a sibling. I was the youngest of 9 & I probably did some of the very things you are suggesting would be par for the course, with a little sibling bugging one. This shows great imagination in a bit of a scornful tongue-in-cheek way. Love the sassy attitude (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


I like this one a lot. I don't know what it is like to be an only child, but I would think it gets kind of lonely, but on the other hand, having a brother or sister could be good but also bad. Some don't even speak to each other and some are very close. It could go either way. I like the way you wrote about how you see it.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Les

6 Years Ago

Thank you Donna. I guess I've never missed what I've never had. I hope you are well.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
3 Reviews
Added on April 21, 2018
Last Updated on April 21, 2018

Author

Les
Les

St Albans District, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom



About
Have always enjoyed writing. Just looking to see if I have any creativity left in me to write some fiction. more..

Writing
Daniela Part 4 Daniela Part 4

A Story by Les


Daniela Part 3 Daniela Part 3

A Story by Les