Heavy Drops of Rain

Heavy Drops of Rain

A Story by Lesley Wood
"

The afternoon was aqueous and stifling. A heavy humidity. A heavy waiting. She wrote the words down carefully...

"
The afternoon was aqueous and stifling. A heavy humidity. A heavy waiting. She wrote the words down carefully, slowly on an old college-ruled notebook leftover from classes. An abstract butterfly graced the cover, and the subjects of her classes had been written, then marked out and written three times. She was frugal. She worked on preparing breakfast-though it was mid-afternoon. Breakfast, for her, was always the first meal of the day no matter the time. She may have cereal or scrambled eggs in the middle of the night. Her thoughts were traveling in hypersonic speed.

She was developing a repugnance for the world. Everything an irritant, a bother, a mindless chore. Each day a dark wave crashing into her again and again and again. Each day the same, the same, the same. She heard that hell is repetition, and she believes it. She felt like screaming. The pressure building up like a slow cooker. The constant ebb and flow of the cicada drone outside was grating on her nerves.

Looking through the slanted slits of her window blinds, she saw the wind moving the trees. As she watched, the breeze picked up and the trees waved and danced for her. Nothing moved her. She smelled the waffles cooking, with the necessary touch of cinnamon she loved. She noticed the waffles turned out better if she left the room; left them alone to do their thing. She rubbed the tears from her eyes with two fingers, then took the bottom of her black t-shirt to wipe her eyes and nose just beginning to run. Sometimes pain and sadness remain no matter what you do. She watched her cream-colored cat begin to bathe itself. She knew if she touched her or extended her hand, the cat would begin to purr. She let the tears run down her face, and got up to take out the waffles. As she took the second batch of waffles from the machine, she heard the first heavy drops of rain hit the tin roof above her patio. The drops brightened her up considerably. With rain, the insects would stop the constant mindless droning. Rain would cool the heat of the day, soothe her mind. Unfortunately the rain stopped with no promise of more to come. The mercy of the rain hadn’t dried alone.

© 2018 Lesley Wood


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
Added on May 17, 2011
Last Updated on December 31, 2018
Tags: rain, thoughts, alone, loneliness, sadness, journal

Author

Lesley Wood
Lesley Wood

New World, Worldwide



About
more..

Writing