Impersonating a Carnie

Impersonating a Carnie

A Story by Letemdangle

The CNE is the Canadian National Exhibition. It has rides, games and sticky slimy foods.

When I lived in Toronto me and my friends would go there every year. It was always a blast and we were usually the last to leave.


When I was 13 my friends wanted to go to the Ex. I had no cash but had managed to scrape up two dollars. Bus fair was a dime each way. I know a dime! If I got hungry I could get some street meat (hot dog) for about 50 cents a pop.


I had to find a way to sneak in to the Ex, and my buds always willing to have an adventure did the same thing. We scaled the walls of an adjacent building and dropped down behind a concession stand.


Rides were expensive and the only reason I wanted to be there. My friends had a ton of loot but never felt a need to share so I was left to my own devices.


The Flyer Roller coaster was the biggest most sought after ride every year at the CNE. You had to climb a huge staircase to hand your ticket to the Carnie. This was my opportunity to collect tickets for a great day. I stood at the bottom of the staircase, with a drab look and demanded tickets from patrons before allowing them to climb the stairs. To my amazement they just handed their tickets to me with wild abandonment. It wasn't long before I had about $60 dollars in tickets.


From the top of the stairs I started to hear shouts of protest and I took to the crowds like ether into the night. Great day, great fun, I was truly free.

© 2011 Letemdangle


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
Added on April 4, 2011
Last Updated on April 4, 2011

Author

Letemdangle
Letemdangle

Ottawa, Canada



About
My best achievement in life is never having killed anyone. My nickname is not to make you think I am morbid, I use it as a symbol of injustice. Let him dangle is a song about injustice from Elvis Cos.. more..

Writing
No Poem No Poem

A Poem by Letemdangle