Into The Realm

Into The Realm

A Story by Letemdangle

Imagine many many years ago, on top of a distant rock outcropping an unusual phenomenon. It looks like a gate filled with fire, water, wind and ice whirling around. Rarely discovered or witnessed by man, it remains a mystery. The few that have seen it immediately strike it with sword, fearing it may harm them.

On the other side is the Keeper of the Gate. A wise and forgiving soul. Little do the few who have discovered this precious place, realize it is the Keeper of the Gate they attack through the fog. The Keeper cannot be hurt by such implements and kindly throws the weapons unto the ground in such a way as to render them useless. It will take many eons and many men, before the secret of the gate is revealed. Even then that secret will be only given to the few  who discover it.

On one such occasion, a patient, unmolested man found himself in front of the gate. He sat, watched and studied the source. He made no move to attack it or take it apart. His thoughts did not venture into profit or popularity. He simply wanted to know what was it he was witnessing. Over time the man realized the answer had now become an obsession with him.  It was time to move on, because such distractions would serve no good.

Feeling his sense of true selflessness, the Keeper of the Gate threw out a wooden stick with a red ribbon attached to it. The pilgrim picked it up and carried it with him until his dying day.

The stick was too short to be a walking stick, too small to be a weapon and too common to be of intrinsic value. But the pilgrim knew it had a yet undiscovered power.

While traveling this  thoughtful man encountered many other wandering nomads. On one such occasion a dispute erupted and the pilgrim had no way to explain his side of the story. Then it came to him. Draw recognizable symbols in the sand so that an understanding could be forged. It worked and the scribe was born.

Why was this simple tool so important and powerful?  Well, I don't need to explain that.

Who was one the men who once possessed such a stick that could evolve mankind and be the very foundation for incredible works? Pythagoras. You might recall Pythagoras theorem. The triangle equation?  Yea, that guy traveled the  world and learned simple truths that for some kind of screwed up reason, evade most minds today.

In his day and for some centuries after that, there was a religious following for this incredibly bright man. Why? Simple basic truth.

It is rather odd to me that honesty and integrity are things that are relatively lacking in the world today.  We should all naturally gravitate to it, but for self preservation or selfish reasons we ignore it.

The red ribbon on the stick? What does it mean? I can only guess. To me it is a reminder, like a string around your finger, of how lives can be destroyed by the lives of selfish, destructive beings.

© 2011 Letemdangle


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

We need to be reminded that what is unknown is not necessarily evil or out to get us. So many strike out at what they do not understand because of fear and sometimes merely out of jealousy because they think that if they don't understand it then whatever it is probably thinks it is better than them...hmmm food for thought. Do we do this to people? Yes, we do.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 13, 2011
Last Updated on June 13, 2011

Author

Letemdangle
Letemdangle

Ottawa, Canada



About
My best achievement in life is never having killed anyone. My nickname is not to make you think I am morbid, I use it as a symbol of injustice. Let him dangle is a song about injustice from Elvis Cos.. more..

Writing
No Poem No Poem

A Poem by Letemdangle