A Father And Husband's Duty : Samurai Second

A Father And Husband's Duty : Samurai Second

A Story by Solum Lupus
"

The epiphany reached by a powerful swordsman during his final duel.

"
1669 A.D. Unknown Territory, Kyoto, Japan : The moon rests peacefully in its hammock made of clouds, the light from its body washing the field of tall grass in silver. Towering just under the Lunar King in the foreground are the mountains, purple in color, solemn in expression, their resolve to never give under any circumstance a popular subject in the world of warrior philosophy. A gentle breeze blows through the placid scene, combing the hair of the land with its feathery, maternal touch. Beautiful. Right now, in this very moment in time, I cannot think of a more perfect place of eternal sleep for a warrior than this field. I suppose my opponent understands this as well. Swordsmen are an intelligent bunch. One would never select a place such as this through mere chance. In the event that his life is taken, he would like to know peace just as I. I touch the hilt of my blade, lightly running my fingertips across the smooth combination of velvet and oak that compose it. A smile flashes onto my face. This velvet is the same Himiko uses at home in her and the baby's Kimonos. I hope they're doing alright. Bandits have been running a bit wild lately, but my wife should be just fine. Her toughness is one of the many reasons I fell in love with her and she is quite the judoka if pressed with danger. Just then, a wave of sorrow fell over my frame. Why? What is this all for? Why am I still dueling? Still fighting? She provides all of the support in the world, but I know she is feverishly worried. The baby probably misses me, too, crying inconsolably for my touch. Tonight will mark a week since I've held him. His first birthday is tomorrow. I'm supposed to be there, but if I go through with this, theres a chance I may never see my child turn one, or again for that matter. My wife will become a bitter widow, struggling to raise a child in an age where work is scarce, and violence runs rampant through the streets. The code of Bushido has governed my life and blade since the age of 12. It has put clothes on my back, food in my stomach, and served as an angel of live on the battlefield where death built its home. It taught me to strike down the wicked, to protect the meek. It is the reason why I stand here today, 28 years of age, with not a single blade wound on my body. But my heart is speaking to me differently, this time. My paternal instincts are forcing me to follow a new code. The code of love. For the first time in my life, I'm backing out. Not from fear, but to something greater than any emotion in the human psyche. Time and time again I've forgotten that when I took Himiko's hand in marriage and she bore our child that my life was no longer mines to claim. It belongs to them now. They need me to be a husband, a father, a man who will guide them through this harsh life. Not a swordsman bearing the title of Strongest Under The Clouds, a moniker signifying nothing more than a tempered, bitter youth who only knew of murder to ease the pain of being orphaned, shunned, and alone in a world where no one cares. I will not have my child grow up that way. I should return to them before he shows up. Just as I turned to leave, a figure in a dark kimono appeared, his long, black hair waving in the breeze, a long sword sheathed on his back. He stopped several feet away from me, drawing his blade and aiming it in my direction. Without a moments hesitation, I took my blade from my sash, and threw it at him, extending my arms to either side as a sign of peace. Truly, a samurai mannerism of no ill intention. "Young warrior, I freely give you my blade along with the title of Strongest Under The Clouds. I have no use for it anymore. It was not yet a full 10 minutes that I realized I no longer wanted to fight when you showed up, so please, take no offense. I'm a huge fan of yours, by the way. If I was to pick a man who should succeed me, it would be you. But I cannot face you in combat. I just remembered that I have a family now who means more to me than anything. Even the respect of other warriors. So, take my blade, tell the world how you defeated the master of all swords, and I shall fade into nothing, becoming only accessible to those who mean much to me. Take care, young dragon." And with that, I walked away. Though my legacy may fade with the times, I will grow old and die with the memory of me forever living on in the hearts of my loved ones. I'm coming home, Himiko.

© 2012 Solum Lupus


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

215 Views
Added on August 21, 2012
Last Updated on August 21, 2012
Tags: the, samurai, second, family, father, husband, life, japan, swords, blood, warrior

Author

Solum Lupus
Solum Lupus

Chicago, IL



About
We are nothing. We become something. more..

Writing