Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Respect Our President

Respect Our President

A Poem by Meradee
"

Today Barrack Obama was sworn into office. Respect him. Please

"

Martin Luther King Junior, during his civil rights movement, said these famous words: I have a dream... His dream was that blacks and whites would truly be equal, that they would be able to sit at the same tables, have the same seats on the bus, and use the same drinking fountains. If Martin Luther King were here today, he would be proud. He would be proud because his dream has come true.

On the twentieth day of January, two-thousand and nine, President Barrack Obama was inaugurated as President of the United States of America. We elected the first ever black president in this country. This is a bigger achievement for the United States than walking on the moon. In a country where fifty years ago, blacks were not served at some restaurants, not respected, yet we elected a black president. This is the coninuation fo Martin Luther King's dream.

There are many that do not support Obama, do not believe that he will be a good president, and do not believe that he will help our country. To those I say this:

For thousands of years minorities have been and even majorities have been discriminated against by whites. Many were treated no better then animals, sometimes even worse. They have gone through slavery, through pain and suffering, and they have stood up for their rights. Now they can say that all of those years of hard work, of pain, of suffering, of fighting, have paid off. We now have a black president. You may not agree with him, but at the very least we all must acknowlegde that this is a great accomplishment for the blacks and the other minorities. It is an accomplishment for America.

Racial injustice has hurt millions of people, countless genocides, apartheid, segregation, and discrimination have given these people a reason to fight. This is their cause. Now they have finally accomplished this great feat. Barrack Obama will be remembered along with Martin Luther King Junior, Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman, and countless others. We give them respect, we hold them in high regard, yet we will not support our president. He deserves as much respect as all these people in history do. We remember them and they stand as icons as people who have done great things for their cause, they are part of the reason that we are where we are today.

We have gone through many trials as a country. We are still young and we have accomplished much. We must remember that we need to support those who have a good cause, who have done great and wonderful things. We must not fall subject to the rumors that we hear daily, we must remember that Barrack is a great man who deserves as much respect as all the other Civil Rights icons in history.

We live in a land of diversity. Many religions, ethnic groups, cultures, peoples, and ideals live here. It should not matter if our President is Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, or Christian. It should not matter if our President is Black, White, Orange, Yellow, Gray, or Puce. If we cannot promote the values we claim to have, then what do we have?

WE shiver at tales of the Holocaust and cry at stories of genocide, our hearts clench at the thoughts of the Civil War, segregation, and slavery. While we do this and ask for change, at the same time we do not respect our President.  Live what you believe, becuase there is no other way to truly live. We have been working towards this moment all throughout history and we should be proud of it. This is what we've been waiting for and we need to remember this, remember that we've suffered through as a country.

If we are going to stand up and say that we are citizens of The United States of America, then we must stand by the man whom we call President. No matter what.

 

© 2009 Meradee


Author's Note

Meradee
Please tell me what you think of this. I would like to know. I know it is kind of long, but it is important. No matter what your political views are, be honest.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

i really like this poem as it shows how black people have struggled for years to be part of the segregated society. you have cleary written every stance with the knowledge of our past- the past of the black african and african american history. i applaud your emotions and honesty through every verse of this poem and the fact that you have highlighted the fact that it is a new begining for every black, asian, and white person in the world not just in america.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I dont live in the USA but I'll tell you this is so true we gotta respect him because of the past memories :) great job :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


Very emotional piece of writing- I'm not even American and I was moved by this, lol. I love how well thought-out this was and you really made quite a few good points. The color scheme was very creative and attention-grabbing, as well.

Great work! =)

Posted 15 Years Ago


i like it
very well thought out :)

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 20, 2009

Author

Meradee
Meradee

New York, NY



About
Okay guys, after nearly two years of being dormant, I've decided to completely re-vamp my account here. I'm going to try and be as active as possible and post things as much as I can. I will tell .. more..

Writing
Beginning Beginning

A Chapter by Meradee


Trapped Trapped

A Chapter by Meradee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Freedom Freedom

A Poem by Kt