High on Life

High on Life

A Story by Lilly Fall
"

another short story...

"

School is out for the summer. Elaina was driving like a maniac, trying to get home. Free at last! 18-years-old, fresh out of high school, and ready to start living life. Tonight was the beginning of the real world for her, the biggest party of the year.

 

In amazing black pumps, a neon colored skirt that was just a little too short, and a shirt that under a blacklight, would look like a rainbow dancing amongst the clouds, Elaina was ready to live it all up. She drove her car as fast as the speed limit would permit, blasting Counting Crows and Breaking Benjamin as loud as her car's speakers would allow. She screamed along with it, headbanging the whole time. At a stop light, one of her favorite Breaking Benjamin songs came on, and she completely rocked out to it. Her Monte Carlo's sunroof was open, windows were down completely. The elderly couple that had pulled up next to her in a beaten up volkswagon looked completely horrified at this young girl. They couldn't help but to wonder what today's youth was coming to. Elaina noticed their look and flipped them a peace sign before the light turned green, and before she hit the gas to go screaming off.

 

She pulled up to the club, seeing the overly-large football player- like bouncer and grinned. Grabbing her pass, she flipped off her car and put her keys in her pocket (how it fit, no one would ever know.) She walked up to him, showing her pass, then went inside once he gave her the thumbs up.

 

Inside, everything was alive. The lights were dancing amongst the bodies and the walls, and the people seemed like wild animals finally let out of the cage. Everything was loud and eletric, and some rap was playing. Elaina believed it to be Flo Rida, but she wasn't sure... her ears were not accustomed to that "crap", as she called it. She noticed her friend Stacy standing by the bar, and Elaina walked over. "Having fun yet?" Elaina yelled, hoping her friend would hear.

 

Stacy Hartland... tall, blonde, and a bubblehead. She had a grin from ear to ear, wearing her tightest pair of love-me jeans with a low cut top that showed everything. Her hair was laced with neon colored extensions. "Doin' great!! How about you?? Wanna dance?" she screamed.

 

Elaina gave her a little playful wink and walked out onto the dancefloor. The song changed to something good: The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. This is where Elaina belonged, on the dancefloor with her best friend, and her classmates. This was the last dance they'd all have together, all free, wild, and just living it up.

 

This was the class of 2010. This was the future of America. Just a bunch of teenagers, living the life, enjoying their friends, and Elaina couldn't get enough of it all.

 

When that amazing night was over, Elaina dragged herself into the house. So much had gone great, and the only thing that went wrong was that one of the jocks spilt a drink on one of the cheerleaders, and Stacy ended up breaking a guy's ankle when she danced a little too hard and fell into him, making him trip over his date and land on his foot wrong. Elaina's mother was sitting on the couch, watching Desperate Housewives, when Elaina came in. "Hey sweetie, how was your night?" she asked in that motherly way.

 

Elaina laughed. "The best of my life mom... but what do you expect from the class of 2010...?"

© 2010 Lilly Fall


Author's Note

Lilly Fall
The second story in my New Year's Resolution... to write a short story every day. (This does not include my work on my other two books :)) Please let me know!! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like how all your writing is different! It seems you ar very flexible and can portray different characters easily!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Good story! With a club setting, the plot could've gone many different ways (something bad happens at the party, Elaina meets a guy, etc.) but I liked that you just kept it as a simple party with her graduating classmates. That made it a much more unique story and it also made me think that my class of 2009 seems really boring now :P

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

245 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 7, 2010
Last Updated on January 7, 2010

Author

Lilly Fall
Lilly Fall

From within the pond., MA



About
Two other accounts, that are unfortunate enough to have died due to not being able to get the passwords. The fresh start, like lillies blooming in the spring on a pond. My real name is enclosed to mys.. more..

Writing
My Mask. My Mask.

A Poem by Lilly Fall


The Dream The Dream

A Poem by Lilly Fall