The Abyss

The Abyss

A Story by L
"

Are you happy?

"

You hear him sighing. The long-drawn-out sigh that feels as though it’s pulling all the fight you gathered in your heart. You see his eyes. Distant. He wants to leave. Your heart cries out. Don’t. Stop. Please. But you see it in his eyes; he is done. You can’t speak a word; all you can do is stand there and face it. The distance between you and him widens. A gaping hole has been created, him on the other side turning away. You try to go closer but you’re already at the edge. He takes one step and you instinctively fall. Deeper into the hole, falling endlessly in the dark. It’s too late because he doesn’t care and has taken a hundred steps while you stay still in the deep.


You call out to him, hoping he’s turned around and is running back to you. But you are faced with silence, his steps silently fade. You are alone in the dark. It’s scary. You can’t see the way out and are faced with repeating images of how happy you have been with him. It constantly flashes and then it starts, the red images. The fighting. The distant cold shoulder. The tears. You’ve cried too many times for him. You're dry as you are falling in the bleak darkness of the hole you created. It’s too much for you alone. But, no one is there to help.


You spring up, shaking the bed with your tremors, it won’t leave you. He tosses in his sleep and you breathe out a sigh of relief. He’s still here.

 

Are you truly happy?

© 2022 L


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

21 Views
Added on June 7, 2022
Last Updated on June 7, 2022
Tags: sad, heartbreak, love

Author

L
L

Writing
Sudden Darkness Sudden Darkness

A Story by L