Death of a dream

Death of a dream

A Story by Riv

I think I remember it quiet fully. As if yesterdays sun had risen just like last night. Even if it was thousands of years ago, my bones are still screaming with the ashes. You don't know what true pain is, until you've seen, lived, and then died all the same. One thing you cannot forget, is the day you're torn from something the universe intended you to have.

My first memory was with my parents and siblings. Sonticus were always a proud and noble race, but unfortunately many could have been stolen and sold out to families for a high price. We were a intelligent race, if taught correctly we could speak the human language just fine as well as our own. Sadly, these were facts I wasn't aware of as a pup. I was one of the smallest pups, the runt. Due to this fact, I was the last to be sold out. 

I was sold to the king's family of the kingdom who had gotten a hold of my family. The King at the time needed a creature to act not only as a pet for his son, but also a guard. While I wasn't the biggest of Sonticus, my markings and colors struck promise. My eyes were tainted with Lavender, the color of kings and for these reasons I was bought and thrown into the home with the young five year old boy. 

When I first arrived at the home, the son whose name was Cornor showed me off in front of a mirror. Now I was only about the size of a small baby kitten. I was a black jackal wolf with white mane on my head. This same white tipped my snout, the top turning into a point while my lower jaw just made a simple square. It was almost hard to see my saber fangs with all of it. My ears tipped with white and along with the patch on my chest. Along with my two front paws. My eyes were a deep lavender, and the glorious mane that took over my back was purple brightly so. The tips of my twin tails white. Since the young master wasn't old enough to properly give names the king had given me one. "Beast" simply put.

Now I remember that I was called multiple other names at the time, the queen would sometimes call me a puppy. I was raised similiar to any other dog, despite my powers and magnificent race input. I became easily attached to the young master, and he was my only life line to this mysterious place I had been placed into. Many of the tricks I learned was to sit, and give paw for a treat. The meats that the castle gave made my purple tongue dance with joy. I could even use my electricity powers to cook it if it was raw. 

The king was proud of my powers, if I recall he said "That mutt was a good investment of money, even if he's small that lightning of his can protect you son." So that's when I realized, that was my duty. Cornor was my young master and anything that wanted to bring him harm I had to get rid of. It didn't matter if I got hurt, I would learn my best. When the king took me away at five months old. He was a harsh trainer. 

By the time I was a year though, I was a perfect, obedient creature. The king would read books about my race all the time in the study. Where I learned of our history, but at the time I didn't care. I was content with pet life, as long as I did young master well. When Winter came I was finally allowed to see him again. Up until the time he entered his teenage years, I stayed by his side. Wherever he went I went, except on his seventeenth birthday the unexpected death of his father happened the same day. The darkest day.

Young master was corinated as the new king, with me by his side. While I acted much like a house pet, many had tried to get rid of me. Suggesting the young master to get rid of me, I never learned how to speak the human language. Many of the other Sonticus in the city could easily speak the english tongue that they spoke. I could only communicate in simple barks and whines. They didn't know if it was because I grew up with the young master as a puppy, or if my vocal chords just developed directly like a dog despite my jackal wolf genetics that Sonticus had. 

Yet, the young master would not let me go. No matter how many soup bowls I spilled, dead birds I left on the porch or even squeaky toys I ripped apart at the foot of his bed. Young Master loved me with all his heart, and I felt that I shared that love. Even if I couldn't feel the sadness he felt from his fathers death. It was just him, the queen and me. I was smart, and dumb at the same time apparently. 

There was also something curious I remembered, going into town one year with young master. There was a huge beast, despite me standing at five feet in height, that was small for my breed. This creature, he was black as midnight with purple sparking from his fur tips. Much like I but it was different. We only brushed by each other, eyes locking however. Mine shined like the stars in his. Only giving a static noise I made note of his scent, and almost felt the breath of my lungs leave me. I didn't know who this stranger was, or what he was, and I don't think I would know that until a later date. 

On that trip the young master had met a young girl. She called herself.... princess? I don't remember her real name. However the young master took to the woman. After his mother passed away much softer than his father, this princess became the queen. Producing a single daughter to the throne. Though she could not be the heir, young master loved her, so I would love her as well. 
At that time, my heart painfully watched the young master scold me. Every time I stepped near his daughter, my electricity could easily hurt the child. The young master locked me in cages every night. I didn't understand, while I was dangerous I would never harm her. His pride and joy was my own, but I did suppose I wanted to do as I was told and I let him be. 

She grew each and every day, with that we would communicate through that cage together. The nights she couldn't sleep, young mistress would speak with me. She told me how much she loved daddy and mommy. How she couldn't wait to be a beautiful princess, although she the same wondered why I was locked in a cage at night as when the day I didn't seem to mean at her fathers side. This too, I wondered why she and I shared some of the same thoughts. 

We spent most of our days like this, but when she turned ten she had made a fatal flaw. I think the mother had fallen asleep for a mysterious reason near the stove. Not quiet sure what started the fire, but the young master had taken his lady and ran out of the mansion. I was stuck in the cage, the daughter came back in to unlock me from my cage. The flames already raging through the cracks. The heat and the smoke filled my lungs. Not even my electricity could save me. 

I didn't want the young girl to burn with me though. As soon as the cage broke free, I had grabbed the child and thrown her out the window. Although I suspect she sustained a broken bone from the fall I knew it wouldn't kill her. Then it struck me, the burning sensation ravaging my body. The fire burning off fur and skin. My mouth opened to let out a scream, down to the bones. After the house burned down, there was nothing left but my ashes. Not even my bones had remained. 

And that, is what I remembered of my previous life.

© 2015 Riv


Author's Note

Riv
History on a character of mine who goes by Sonnie these days! This is his previous life when he was actually "alive"

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

aww... what a sad ending to a beautiful relationship! I think you did well writing out of the eyes of a pet, I do believe these are many of the thoughts they have, it's a shame that so many of the lovable creatures are treated so badly my awful owners.
Interesting to see that he has a new life now though! A great write :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
dan
Sorry Riv, I can't concentrate on lengthy writes due to my bipolar/anxiety situation, it makes me unable to focus like I should be able to. I'll keep reviewing your poems, so keep sending them, OK? take care...dan

Posted 8 Years Ago


aww... what a sad ending to a beautiful relationship! I think you did well writing out of the eyes of a pet, I do believe these are many of the thoughts they have, it's a shame that so many of the lovable creatures are treated so badly my awful owners.
Interesting to see that he has a new life now though! A great write :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
2 Reviews
Added on October 17, 2015
Last Updated on October 17, 2015

Author

Riv
Riv

Apple Valley, CA



About
Alright, let's do this. My name is Riv or Abby. Either one works. I'm eighteen years old and really love writing poetry on my spare time. While I do write novels and wish to publish one or a few one d.. more..

Writing
Crystals Crystals

A Poem by Riv


Cage Cage

A Poem by Riv


Waiting Waiting

A Poem by Riv