Rain

Rain

A Story by MelissaStoia
"

Used a prompt : "Even though Jake ate the last of the pancakes, Leonard couldn’t find it in himself to get worked up about it."

"

     A loud SNAP bounced off the walls of the office’s foyer. “S**t,” Leonard breathed under his breath. The elderly lady next to him stifled her laughter. He looked at her with a defeated expression and she returned a sympathetic smile. He groaned and dropped the two pieces of umbrella into the trash bin by the door. Leonard flipped up his collar and tucked his phone inside his shirt for protection. Taking another deep breath, he opened the door and began to run. Within his first twenty steps, his feet landed in a puddle, thoroughly soaking through his nice dress shoes and socks.   A deep rumble echoed through the parking lot. He fumbled with his keys a bit until he finally heard the click and he pulled himself into the driver seat and paused to collect his thoughts.

       The thumping on the roof the car pressed on in a rhythmic pattern. Leonard focused on keeping his breath in time with the beat. The mediation moment was interrupted by a loud ding. He took his phone out of the waistline of his pants. The screen blinked his wife’s name. It read: See you soon sweetie with a few hearts attached to the end. A smile spread across his face and he put the car in reverse and backed out of the parking lot 

            After a while, the drive began to feel tedious and his thoughts turned to the mountains of paperwork in the back seat. All the data he had sorted last week was incorrect. His supervisor politely pointed that out very loudly in front of his co-workers. The words incompetent and disgrace floated around his head along with a few other words not so tame. Leonard shook the bad thoughts out of his mind and turned up the radio. A soothing melody persuaded his body to sway back and forth as he navigated the road. He sang along. Quietly at first but as the song built up, so did his voice. He was preparing for the epic guitar solo when a large horn blasted through his American Idol moment. Like a flash, a SUV barreled towards him and he turned the wheel, sliding down the next road. The tires glided on the puddles. The car made a full 360 spin, narrowly avoiding one or two cars coming into the light. The red shine of the traffic light reflected into the rain. He slammed his foot on the brake. The car and Leonard both jolted to a stop.

            Leonard froze with his hands at ten and two, blinking rapidly, trying to get a grasp on what had almost just happened.   Cars began to pass by him as if nothing had occurred. The traffic proceeded as usual. Leonard wanted nothing more but to get home and in bed but couldn’t even move.   He closed his eyes and counted to ten and back. Eventually, he was able to turn the wheel and make his way home.

            The garage door was open when he arrived. Almost as if it had been waiting all day just for him to return. He pulled in to the warm honey light. Trembling a bit he got out of the car and took out his box of papers. It had turned over onto the floor. He heard a faint barking and scratched at the door. Leonard chuckled and opened it to let out Roxy, who gladly attacked him with kisses and weaved in and out of his legs.

            “Daddy!” A disembodied high-pitched voice rang out. The small nine-year boy was panting by the time his tiny legs were able to carry him to the door. “Mom made us pancakes.”

            “Really?” Leonard laughed. Almost as if on cue, She walked in and pecked his cheek.

            “Sorry, hun,” she sighed, “There aren’t anymore.”

            “I ate them all,” Jake bragged.

            Leonard smiled again. Even though Jake ate the last of the pancakes, Leonard couldn’t find it in himself to get worked up about it. He made it home. He just enjoyed the fact that there was a possibility of pancakes tomorrow.

© 2015 MelissaStoia


Author's Note

MelissaStoia
I wrote this for class. Any feedback welcome

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Great write. Just making it home and being thankful for tomorrow, when things aren't going your way, is a good place to be. Being with family and leaving work at work, however briefly, is something we should all do more of.
I liked the slow build of stress, anxiety, panic and finally relief, in such a short write. Well done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I enjoyed it. It brought images to mind of what was happening. I am sure there are things could say for improvement,but that will have to be at a later time.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Great write. Just making it home and being thankful for tomorrow, when things aren't going your way, is a good place to be. Being with family and leaving work at work, however briefly, is something we should all do more of.
I liked the slow build of stress, anxiety, panic and finally relief, in such a short write. Well done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 17, 2015
Last Updated on October 17, 2015

Author

MelissaStoia
MelissaStoia

Randolph, NJ



About
I like to write...and read. Of course, that can probably be said for anyone on this website. There you go. We already have something in common. more..

Writing
The Motel The Motel

A Chapter by MelissaStoia