FireFlies

FireFlies

A Poem by Amaris Velez

I drove through the park on a random Saturday.


To get my mind off of the heartbreak and emptiness I felt in the city.


The noise and constant movement of the city had deprived me of my peace and individuality.


As I drove through the park I lowered my music to hear silence.


The silence could have driven me insane if I had not accepted it with open arms.


Suddenly I saw a speckle of light in front of the window shield.


As quickly as it had come it left. I suddenly parked the car and sat waiting for it to reappear.


I sat in the silence when I saw another flicker, and then another.


And soon around me the lights had began to light up all around my car as if they were dancing to the music of peace.


I smiled at them knowing that a sight like this should be cherished.


For the earth had allowed me to see the last bit of magic, the last bit of hope it had held.


For the earth knew that only few could see the beauty in something so simple, so fragile, so it held it all to itself.


Until a person, much like me needed some hint of that hope and magic.


I dreaded the thought that I would have to arrive home to the city eventually. But I turned on my car anyway and slowly drove away.


And I returned home to the movement of the city, but holding in my heart that there was always a glimmer hope somewhere.

© 2013 Amaris Velez


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'd consider this more of a story. Then a poem. The lines in this poem are rather long. I really enjoyed reading this though. Kinda reminds me of when I go for a stroll through the city and just ponder. I got to take a step away from reality and get lost in this piece for a moment which nice lol Anyway nice work Amaris

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

270 Views
1 Review
Added on August 18, 2013
Last Updated on August 18, 2013