no title yet - "Our Story" is a working one

no title yet - "Our Story" is a working one

A Story by Lola Nevius
"

The beginning of a story between 2 people that meet. Not sure if it is worthy of continuing, I am open to suggestions.

"

It was a normal day, a Friday.  The end of the work week, and she was exhausted.  But it was a good tired as she felt as though she was truly living her life for the first time.  Having relocated from Hawaii across the ocean and most of the continental US to Virginia, everything felt new, fresh and exciting.  Her job at the accounting firm was challenging, but she was getting the hang of it and getting to know all of the partners.  They were also getting to know her.  She was adjusting very nicely.

 

So, on this "normal" Friday evening, she found herself at the local gourmet store picking up a few things for her weekend.  She loved her weekends now.  She filled the time with reading, cooking, working on the novel she was finally writing and treating herself to a really good bottle of wine.  In her past she never got to enjoy "good" bottles and now she had the time and resources to research wineries and vineyards and choose some really good ones.  She was staring at the racks of whites and could not decide on a Pinot Gris or a Riesling, both of which were supposed to be exceptional.  She had a bottle of each in her hand, reading the labels.  She heard behind her, "I highly recommend that Riesling, excellent choice".  She turned, and there stood a very handsome man, with a small basket of his own goodies; a loaf of sourdough, grapes, a rather large chunk of some kind of cheese and 2 bottles of the very same Riesling she was considering. 

 

HIM: She had quite a puzzled look on her face, as if she simply could not decide.  If she did not have my favorite wine in her hand, I would probably not even have spoken to her.  She had calmness about her, and I was instantly drawn into her eyes when she looked at me.  I don't quite know how to explain it other than an instant connection between 2 souls.  "Yes, that Riesling is one of my favorites, as you can see" I motioned to the 2 bottles in the small basket on my arm, just so she wouldn't think I was some kind of wine section stalker.  "Well" she said, "That settles it.  If you are getting 2 of them, that is as good a recommendation as I need.  Thank you." And then she was gone.  There was something about her that stuck with me.  Not sure what, but she definitely had me thinking about her as I drove home to my apartment.

 

HER: What a surprise to feel what she felt when he spoke to her.  Just some random man in the wine section, but when their eyes met, there was something...what?  She was not quite sure.  She made her way to the check out stand with the makings for pasta primavera and her Riesling.  She knew he was watching her walk away, and it felt good to have a man's eyes on her again.  She felt him, and it was that electric zap you get when connecting with someone that you are instantly attracted to.  "Stop, you are reading too much into this Samantha.  He only recommended a wine to you for god sakes.  Sheesh, pull it together".  She paid for her items and he was on her mind as she made her way home to the Stuart Woods Apartments.

 

***********

 

A few weeks passed.  Her days were full with work and her weekends were her own.  She was settling into a nice comfortable routine.  She had admitted to herself however, during many a sleepless night, that it would have been nice to have someone next to her in that queen sized bed.  "In time, when I meet the right person".  It was crazy she knew, but the "Riesling man" as she called him, had popped into her mind more than she wanted to admit.  Something about his dimpled cheek, or strong hands or a combination of confidence and sensuality just below the surface...it was an intoxicating mix.  She had looked for him at the store every time she went on her Friday night shopping trips but had not seen him there again. 

 

One Saturday morning, after her run, she was at the mailboxes at her apartment building and she felt a tap tap on her shoulder.  She had her iPod on and loud, so she was oblivious to everything around her.  She jumped and turned, and there he was! 

 

HER:  GREAT!  Of all times to meet him again, I look like THIS?  Sweaty, hot, wet running shirt and my hair back in a ponytail - I had a really good run that morning, the sweat just poured from me. 

 

I ripped my ear buds out and said a nervous, "Hi". 

 

"Hi yourself" he answered and just stood there staring at me. 

 

GOD, I must look a fright. "Do you live here?" he asked. 

 

"Yes, I do, I moved in about 3 months ago.  Don't tell me, you live here too?"  She shook her head at the thought.  After looking out for him all these weeks, and here he was, right here. 

 

"Yea, I moved in the second week of March.  Huh, small world huh?" he replied.  "So, how was that Riesling, I was right about it wasn't I?" 

 

"Yes, it was really good, I actually was keeping an eye out for you at the store to thank you and to see if you had any other recommendations?"  Those eyes of his, they seemed to stare right through her, and she really liked the way he looked.  Dressed casually in his button fly jeans, black polo shirt and loafers.  His phone and mail in his hands.  That same electrical charge was there, between them, it felt really nice.  Comfortable.

 

HIM:  Damn, she looked good.  Sweaty and warm from exercising, Natural, no makeup and hair pulled back.  She was even better looking than the first time I saw her.  I could not help but let my mind drift thinking about her naked and sweating like that...I shook my head to clear that thought.  I quickly recovered and made small talk with her as there was no way I was going to let her get away from me without asking her name, I was NOT going to let that happen again.  

 

"My name is Steve" and I extended my hand, wanting to touch her, if only her hand...for now.  "Nice to meet you, officially, my name is Samantha" and they touched. 

 

Samantha: Whoa.  What the hell was that?  When he touched my hand in nothing more than a friendly handshake, but that electrical buzz that was dancing between us must have hit a ground or something.

 

“So, now that we have been properly introduced, I would really like to get to know more about you, than just your name.  It is a beautiful Saturday, do you have any plans?”

 

“Not really” she replied.  “I need a shower but after that, I am available.  What did you have in mind?” She asked with a raised eye brow. 

 

Samantha: Why did I say that?  I am feeling so open with him, this in crazy, but I feel as if I can just be myself and say whatever comes to mind.  Cool it, just scale back a bit.  You do not want to scare him off, now do you?

 

Steve:  Oh really?   What do I have in mind?  Well missy, I have lots in mind, but as we barely know each other.  Well, this day is shaping up rather nicely.

 

“Well, I have not had lunch, and I can bet that after the run you just had, you are hungry or will be after your shower.”

 

“Yes, actually I am, I skipped breakfast and I am really hungry.  Why don’t we meet at the Tap Room for lunch at 12:30 p.m.  That gives me 60 minutes to pull myself together.  Ok?”

 

“The Tap Room it is.  See you there.”

 

He got to the restaurant early and sat at table outside, in the corner, with a view of the street so he could watch for her.  Sitting there, sipping his water, his mind was going a thousand miles a minute, thinking.  He was so anxious.  Trying to think when was the last time he felt so excited about spending time with a woman.  It had been awhile.

 

She took her time showering.  Her body felt so good.  Running always made her feel amazing.  Now, she has an afternoon ahead getting to know him.  Steve.  What a nice name, and it fit him too.  He was tall and had a smile to die for.  He had this air of maturity, but with playfulness in in his eyes.  She was more than intrigued.   She finished up and drove to meet him for lunch.

 

Steve: I felt her coming before I even saw her.  I cannot explain it.  But there she was.  He skin glowing in the sun, shoulders exposed in her sun dress.

 

…To be continued…

 

 

© 2015 Lola Nevius


Author's Note

Lola Nevius
Looking to find out if these characters are interesting and if I should continue? Change anything? Really open to any suggestions. I am still trying to find my voice and not sure if this is interesting reading. Thank you. ~Lola

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very good story. I like the conversation and building of interest. You create good situation, life and a woman finding some hope. I like the ending. Left a open ending for more story. Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lola Nevius

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your kind words, I think this is going to be one story line that I will contin.. read more
Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

You are right. Many possibilities for this story and you are welcome.
By all means, continue. I like the way you use their internal monologue to introduce the dialogue. Clever.
The conversation about wine was interesting. I'm afraid I judge wine by how cool the label looks. Needless to say, I drink a lot of kangaroo wine.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lola Nevius

9 Years Ago

Haha, Kangaroo Wine...I drink that too! Thank you for your encouragement!!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

83 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 18, 2015
Last Updated on May 18, 2015

Author

Lola Nevius
Lola Nevius

Hana, HI



About
Aloha, I am a happily married woman living on the east side of Maui (the rainforest side). I have a deep desire to share my creativity through my writing and I am looking for a online community to sh.. more..

Writing
Freedom Freedom

A Story by Lola Nevius



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Fallen Fallen

A Story by Sally Hope