The Jungle Always Wins

The Jungle Always Wins

A Story by Lola Nevius
"

Blog entry from my Wordpress site

"

THE JUNGLE ALWAYS WINS

Jungle ViewLiving here among the vines changes you, as a person.  I cannot quite put my finger on it yet, how this happens…but it does happen.  This humid, green, quiet place calms you in a way that unless you experience it yourself, you cannot understand. The more you fight it, the harder it presses in.  The jungle always wins.

We lost power here for 36 hours due to a downed tree.  I have to admit here that it really got to me.  I had a difficult time and was acting like a spoiled little city-princess and wanted my internet/lights back.  Now that it has been restored " and I have had a chance to reflect " I have realized that I was trying to fight the jungle.  I need to remember where I live, why I live here and adjust my thinking and expectations.  Fighting only makes me miserable, the jungle does not care and will not adjust to me.  It rains a lot here, the ground gets saturated, the wind blows, trees fall and power poles go down.  We are fortunate that the work crews worked so hard to restore service to the area so quickly "  considering the rough terrain on the ridge where this particular pole was damaged.  The workmen had to hike in, clear a path and create a pad for a helicopter to land so that more men and the supplies needed could get to the damaged power lines.

Yes, being without power was a pain.  I am learning how to just be in this special place and take each day a moment at a time. In the rain, wind, mud, or without a way to charge my kindle " I need to be content.  In every situation.  I am a work in progress and need to take my cues from the vast greenery outside my window; Enjoy the sun while it lasts.  Soak up the rain when it falls and stand tall, reach for the sky, and just be.

~Lola

© 2015 Lola Nevius


Author's Note

Lola Nevius
Curious to get some feedback on my blog entries. Here is one I did recently. Thank you in advance for reading and critiquing. ~Lola

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hi Lola,

Well-written! I have never been to the jungle before, but this gives me an idea. It reminds you how small and powerless you are against nature, doesn't it. Is there more to this story? Why does she live there? One small suggestion: "work crews worked" I would lose the first "work" because from the verb it is evident that it applies to that kind of crew. Well done!

Regards, Sesame

@followsesame on Twitter
www.themagiccave.com



Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lola Nevius

8 Years Ago

Thank you for your tip re: the sentence regarding the work crews working...lol I do tend to be a bit.. read more



Reviews

Hi Lola,

Well-written! I have never been to the jungle before, but this gives me an idea. It reminds you how small and powerless you are against nature, doesn't it. Is there more to this story? Why does she live there? One small suggestion: "work crews worked" I would lose the first "work" because from the verb it is evident that it applies to that kind of crew. Well done!

Regards, Sesame

@followsesame on Twitter
www.themagiccave.com



Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lola Nevius

8 Years Ago

Thank you for your tip re: the sentence regarding the work crews working...lol I do tend to be a bit.. read more
I understand this story. I spend three year in South and Central American as a soldiers. Your story is true. Nature is cold and heartless. I prefer cold over heat. Heat is just misery. I liked the story. Thank you for sharing the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lola Nevius

9 Years Ago

While the humidity is great here on the east side of the island, it is remarkably cool. I agree wit.. read more
Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

At least you have the ocean. I love the sea.
I can relate to that feeling of “jungle.” While Louisiana gets a taste of the seasons, it is still 80% Amazonian.
I spent some time in Hawaii when I was in the Navy. I envy you.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lola Nevius

9 Years Ago

Hawaii is truly a beautiful and special place, but there are drawbacks and exchanges to be made. Bu.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 18, 2015
Last Updated on May 18, 2015

Author

Lola Nevius
Lola Nevius

Hana, HI



About
Aloha, I am a happily married woman living on the east side of Maui (the rainforest side). I have a deep desire to share my creativity through my writing and I am looking for a online community to sh.. more..

Writing
Freedom Freedom

A Story by Lola Nevius



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Fallen Fallen

A Story by Sally Hope