Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A Chapter by S. Waldo

Along the first mile, Marie managed to steal the biggest item she had ever stole�"a horse. A beautiful chestnut mare with a black mane and tail. Unfortunately, she did not come with a saddle, only a bridle. But, since Marie was originally of the country, she knew how to ride bareback. The next six miles flew by as she raced towards Kensington Palace. The whiff of smoke from Graciella’s fires reached both her’s and her mount’s nose, further pushing their gallop. Within the next ten minutes she reached the palace, quickly made her way to the adjacent forest and dismounted, tying her mare to a branch. 

“Now stay here” Marie whispered, gently patting the horses neck. She seemed to understand Marie and nickered quietly. 

Inside the palace, Captain Prestor sipped on a glass of ale that was handed to him. He managed to only get a few sips out of the drink before a footman opened the tall orante doors and announced that the ceremony was to begin. As each man entered, one after the other, his name was called and King George I placed a medal of honor on the lapels of their respective jackets. The entire process took several minutes as the announcer called down the list starting with the admiral Daelin had been making small talk with.

This gave Marie enough time to scout out barrels of rum located in the palace’s outdoor storehouse. Each barrel was stacked neatly and Marie knew that the amber liquid inside was flammable. She pulled a small pouch of gunpowder from her satchel and made a line from the door to the barrels. She then took another flint block from the bag and quickly struck it with a dagger she had grabbed from a guard. As Marie watched the gunpowder flare up and run down her powder line, she heard the sound of applause echoing out of an open window. ‘Perfect’ she thought, ‘people will take notice quickly.’ Just as the flames hit the rum barrels, Marie took to her heels and ran with all of her might across the field towards the woods. 

One captain, being rewarded for his courageousness during the Battle of Nassau in 1720 as part of the War of the Quadruple Alliance, was ahead of Captain Daelin. The young soldier, tried not to roll his eyes. He was also at that battle, and there was nothing but some pesky pirates making a ruckus. As his name was called, and Captain Daelin Prestor strode towards the king to receive his medal, a loud explosion rattled the room. King George glanced out of a nearby window and hollered out in German that the palace was catching fire. The prime minister, Sir Robert Walpole, called for all available soldiers and militia to immediately go and attempt to save the structure. Daelin, being the bumptious man he was, took a quick glance at the king and chose to formulate his own group. He shouted at surrounding soldiers he had fought beside before, and ordered for ten of them to follow him as he ran out the door, drawing his sword and giving it a brief swing to warm up his adrenaline.


*****

The warmth of the explosion made Marie run faster. She glanced over her shoulder, grinning as she saw huge flames leap up into the air, hurriedly burning the building, and spreading to the rest of the palace construction. Marie quickly jumped onto her dancing horse and guided her away from the fire, beginning to push her into a face paced canter; she had to make it to the ship in record time. Upon reaching the road, Marie pretended to be a lowly peasant girl, out for a ride when she spotted numerous soldiers running and riding up the dirt road towards the rest of the city that was starting to become more red and yellow than brown. Once a majority of the soldiers had passed by her, Marie urged her horse into a full blown gallop straight into London. 

Meanwhile, int he heart of the terror, Tobias was being violently pushed and shoved by the panicked crowds. After getting a rather boney elbow in the back, he paused for a moment in a doorway and looked out into the many sobbing faces of the people running past him. He did not particularly blend in. His coat was long and crimson paired with a white tunic that was tucked into his black breeches. It could also be said that his tough leather boots had served him quite well over the years. He clutched the butt of his pistol, ready to draw at any moment as he quickly decided to make way for the port; perhaps these two young women had ventured in that direction. 

Thirty minutes prior, Graciella had arrived back at the gangway of her ship. Before boarding, she turned and watched the thick black smoke curl up into the sky. Screams of many Londoners watching their city and their kin burn reached her ears and caused a thin, humorless smile come to the Spaniard’s face. 

“Beautiful, simply beautiful.” She breathed as she chuckled dryly, whipping off her hat and taking a dramatic bow, “Gracias London for the rum and for the entertainment, I wish you deep sorrow and decades of failure!” She rose back up and strode up the gangway, her boots resounding on the wood. Her crew greeted her with huzzahs, most certain that she had been at the root of this occurrence. She double checked everything to make sure her ship was ready to set sail the second Marie arrived, then plopped herself down on a barrel and watched. 


*****


Tobias, still avoiding people so not to be trampled to death in the stampede, ducked again into a doorway. He watched as people fled from their homes and business. He peered about, the thought that the two mystery women were the one’s to set the city on this path of chaos, slowly creeping into his mind. The young man shook his head; it was beginning to become too smoky for anyone to see anything clearly. Just as he thought he would never catch the culprits, Tobias spotted a mop of curly black hair underneath a red hat riding atop of a horse. He took off at a dead run, raming into people and pushing them out of his way.

“Hey! You! Stop there!” He shouted into the thrall of merchants, his words falling upon deaf ears. Tobias continued to run, getting closer and closer to the bay.

Marie thought she heard someone yelling for someone to stop, but instead of looking around to see what it was, she pushed her horse harder. Suddenly, she burst out of the crowd and out at the entrance to the docks of the Port of London. She slows to a fast trot and frantically looks for the Cofresi. 

Graciella had grown impatient and was now at the railing, peering through the clouds of smoke. After a couple of seconds, she sees Marie and the horse burst through the blackness. The young captain yelled for her crew to begin pulling away from the dock. 

“Marie! Catch!” Graciella screamed, tying off a rope next to me and tossing it with all of her might towards the girl. Marie leapt off of the horse and ran at a dead bolt down the end of the dock and making a powerful jump off of the end of the pier, grabbing hold of the rope as she hit the frigid water with a splash, sinking into the black churning waters. 

Graciella screamed in horror as her friend went below. She looked up to see Tobias and a few soldiers thumping up the dock; what she did not know was that the soldiers had spied Marie running from the shed before it exploded. Graciella drew her pistol and began to shoot at the men, dropping at least two into pools of blood. 

Daelin and his men came up behind the dead. He looked around for the killer and spotted Graciella’s smoking gun. He put two and two together and discovered that they were somehow involved with the burning of London. 

“Damn it all! To the ships men!” He ordered at the blank staring soldiers amongst him. He waited, yet no one moved “Do none of you worthless lot belong to a company in this port?” He demanded viciously. Each man shook his head and glanced sheepishly at one another. Daelin groaned aloud and whirled towards the bay to stare helplessly at the retreating ship. As he did so, Tobias stepped closer and tapped the captain on the shoulder. 

“I beg your pardon good soldier�"But I believe I could be of some use to you. As you are without a ship, I have two, both of which may be at your disposal. However, since I do have the upper hand in this dilemma, I have some conditions. Do you accept?”

“You would be doing the King and our country a favor my good sir! To your ship, then we may discuss the conditions.” Daelin motioned for his men to follow the stranger, hoping and praying he was not about to lead them to their deaths. Tobias nodded, flipped yet another spanish coin to the captain and led the group to his awaiting ship, the Lady Laurel. 


*****


Graciella called for Marco to help pull Marie up front he cold water. 

“Faster Marco! We must get out of here before the embers blow into the sails. Move!” 

Marie clung to the rope for dear life as she was pulled up the side of the ship and flung over the railing, flopping onto the deck like a fish out of water. Her frozen blue lips pulled into an icy smile. 

“That…was exhilarating! London has never looked so beautiful.” 

Graciella wrapped the shivering girl in a wool blanket and pulled her to her feet, shaking out her deflated hat that had managed to stay attached to Marie’s head. 

“Yes, indeed mi amiga. It certainly looks much better painted in red and gold doesn’t it? What say you to making it across the Atlantico before they catch up?”

Marie nodded, pushing back her sopping hair from he face, “I agree. Where are we going?” Graciella glanced at her first mate, Henri.

“I have just the place in the islands. Henri, plot a course to Puerto Rico!” He nodded and raced to the helm. Within the next few minutes, Henri had the ship speeding down the river towards the English Chanel.

Marie’s eyes widened as she stood up and pulled the blanket further around her shoulders, struggling to gain warmth. She looked all about the ship, she had never been aboard anything bigger than a small dinghy to fish on. 

“Pardon mum..is there a galley on this thing? I’m somewhat hungry. It has been a while since my last meal.” 

Marco had been watching the exchange between his employer and the newcomer. He was surprised at the timidness that the girl possessed and wondered what came over Graciella to bring the urchin aboard. 

“Sí señorita, I will show you, yes?” He asked, offering his hand to the girl to guide her down into the hold. Graciella nodded approvingly, if she left anyone in charge of Marie, Marco was the person to do so. He was responsible enough, heaven’s knows handsome enough, to watch out for her. 

“While you find something from my cook, I will be in the crows nest. Marco, come get me once the girl is warmed. We have urgent business to attend to.” Graciella ordered, whilst nodding upwards to the mainmast and the crows nest above. “Henri, make sure we aren’t being followed, then make hast as fast as you can, we have to get across that ocean before someone pegs the fires on us.” 

She winked at Marie and Marco before turning and ducking into her captains cabin to change into more comfortable clothing. She donned her baggy brown work pants, a cream cotton shirt with the sleeves rolled up to her elbows, and no shoes. Reemerging onto the main deck, Graciella scurried up the main mast like a rat, feeling right at home amongst the ropes. She reached the crows nest and decided to climb further. She settled herself on a rope ladder she had constructed before, took out her mini scope and peered through it to take a closer look ahead and behind them. All she saw was black smoke swirling in curls up to the blue skies. 


*****


Tobias led Captain Daelin and his men aboard the Lady Laurel�"a two masted brigantine�" and proceeded to fling orders to his crew as they scrambled about weighing anchor and scaling the rigging. Daelin fingered the gold coin the stranger had handed him and pulled it out of his pocket. He looked at it suspiciously then inconspicuously bit it to be certain it was the real metal. 

“I shan’t ask you where you acquired such a piece, but we wary, sir, that I will without a doubt be questioning you at a later time. Being in my position, I must know everything about you, your crew and the vessel I am putting my life on.” Daelin spoke in such flowery language that to Tobias, he seemed conceited and privileged. Fortunately for Tobias, they were on his own ship. The younger man looked out over the water and shook his head, this man was going to be impossible to work with. Daelin frowned; he was not used to be ignored. 

“What is your name stranger? Why are you offering your assistance in this grave matter?” Daelin questioned, leaning up against the center mast. He folded his arms, but kept one hand near his pistol, ready to draw and shoot if needed.

Tobias shook his head, instead gave orders to his crew to make ready and set sail after the young piratess. After his great ship heaved her way out into the Thames, Tobias finally turned to the Navy soldier. 

“Because…” He knew exactly what to say to make the pesky man leave him alone, “I feel it is my duty to the crown to assist in any way I can.”

Chasing Spanish pirates was a hobby of his, but that was better to keep quiet at the time being. 

Daelin narrowed his eyes, and stepped closer to the man, drawing himself up at his attempt to intimidate the commoner. 

“What is your name? Need I ask you again? I am a soldier of His Majesty’s Royal Navy. As such, I am in command.”

Tobias’s face broke into a disarming grin. 

“This dark world is in need of some cheeky scoundrels like you, captain!” He said, clapping a dirty hand on the man’s spotless jacket. He then turned to the rest of his crew that had gathered behind him.

“Come on lads. There’s a Spanish siren out there awaiting our discovery with trunkfuls of doubloons and jewels for the first man to spot that bloody ship.”

He smirked at the captain and whispered just to him something that Tobias knew would ruffle the stuffy navyman. 

“And a pretty little Spanish arse for myself. Don’t fret cap’n, I might share her around.” 

Daelin straightened his back at the sailor’s touch, shuddering at his confirmed thoughts of what type of man he was dealing with. He refused to make his impedeing concern noticeable and grimaced. 

“You will watch your tongue man. Lest I decide to commandeer this fish boat for King and country.”

Tobias shook his head to himself and chuckled. He turned his head slightly to holler over his shoulder as he sauntered towards the galley,

“If you ever tried to commandeer this vessel , you will receive your worst nightmare as foreplay. If I were you? I’d sleep with both eyes open.”

He let out a dark laugh and disappeared from sight. 


*****


While Graciella was making her speedy escape, and Tobias was hurrying to chase her down with a loyal guard; Aiden had already sent one of his ships onward toward the Americas. He had a shipment of furs that he planned on using for trade with the natives in Jamaica. He had been in the middle of discussing travel plans with two of his old acquaintances from his Navy days when the commotion in the streets started. His first mate, Daniel Fogherty, had managed to make his way to the tavern Aiden was at and alerted him that the fires were the hysterical young Spaniard’s doing. Aiden quickly bid goodbye to his company and slipped back to his ship and got her underway as fast as he and his crew could. 

With sails full of the wind, Aiden hoped he would reach the pirates before the Navy did. His previous assumptions were proved true and he needed to have a few serious words with Graciella. 

“What is so important that we sail with friendly colors Cap’n?” Daniel questioned, eyebrows knitted together. 

“Not so much what, as who my friend. That girl is young and naive. She does not yet realize how much she has just brought upon herself from setting half of the greatest city in the known world on fire.” Aiden replied, his eyes not wavering from the waves ahead of his stance at the wheel. Daniel kept silent, watching the same waves. When he found the right words, he spoke again. This time with more curiosity lacing his thick accented voice. 

“Aiden, do you know her? You act like she’s a long lost relative o’ some such…”

Aiden let a wholehearted chuckle loose and held the wheel with one strong hand and clapped the other on Daniel’s shoulder. 

“Daniel, that girl and I have more in common than you and I do. Which is sayin’ somethin’, aye?” 

Daniel shrugged, he supposed that if his employer did not want to tell him any more details, he mustn’t ask any more questions. 

“I guess…is it your plan to catch up with her? Surely her ship is far ahead of us by now.”

“It is, but we know a few things about her plan. I know she’s headed to the Islands in search of answers as to why she saw her father hung before her very eyes with no trial this very morning. Not to mention, you and I are on one of the fastest ships in the seas�"we’ll catch her.”



© 2016 S. Waldo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
Added on May 2, 2016
Last Updated on May 2, 2016
Tags: pirates, pirate, adventure, spain, caribbean, sea, ships, sailing, england, fiction, history


Author

S. Waldo
S. Waldo

Huntsville, TX



About
I first fell in love with writing when I was in middle school. Throughout high school, college, and my post-graduate life, I began to write more and more. I ventured into poetry, and even started two .. more..

Writing
The Siren The Siren

A Poem by S. Waldo


Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by S. Waldo