Trapped

Trapped

A Poem by Jeslyn Mara

Lovely, why dost thou bleed?
Everything I do
I do only for thee
Lovely, why dost thou weep?
The room is warm, thy fingers I keep
Interlocked with mine
Your flowers are there
I care
Lovely, why dost thou die?
There was never a person who loved you as I

© 2017 Jeslyn Mara


Author's Note

Jeslyn Mara
This is literally the first poems I have written in years. Thoughts? CC welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's not a bad poem for starters. It has good musicality, strong imagery, and the message is profound. Your choice of archaisms is bold. I would suggest to stick with it (towards the end, you switch to the modern and vernacular, which actually sounds good in the long run, but the fact that you use "thee" and "thy" in lines that are not the "Lovely, why dost thou..." you should either rework those lines so that they are congruent with what you're doing in the rest of the poem or switch the modern language to the archaic. Also, "your flowers are there/I care" doesn't quite fit. There's no antecedent for the flowers and the last line is much more powerful, and it implies how much "I care". Furthermore, it's much more poetic to be going "Lovely why dost thou......." "Lovely, why dost thou....." "Lovely, why dost thou....." If you wanted to have a bridge, it should be saying something more, and not something that you would eventually repeat in the last section. The poem would be much better without this particular bridge with the flowers. Well done otherwise!!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Jeslyn Mara

6 Years Ago

Thanks so much for your input!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

164 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 20, 2017
Last Updated on October 20, 2017

Author

Jeslyn Mara
Jeslyn Mara

About
Currently a photographer but forever nurturing new talents, I thought I’d try my hand at writing. more..