Brittany and the Mysterious Happenings Book One On North Bay Island

Brittany and the Mysterious Happenings Book One On North Bay Island

A Story by Lady Lorraine Joanne Ward
"

Brittany and the Mysterious Happenings, Book One On North Bay Island Synopsis This story is about Brittany who finds that mysterious happenings that are starting on her Island.

"

     ‘Maria 1’, is actually the ferry which takes us to and from North Bay Island to the mainland and back.  The round trips takes up to  two hours as they allow loading and unloading times, though the one way trip is about forty five minutes depending on the weather.  During bad weather all the ferries are cancelled until the weather improves.  Some passengers complain but most of them just sit and wait.

There are always plenty of passengers waiting for the next ferry as the Island is quite popular, so there is always a mixture of them waiting to cross and come back.  There are usually a bunch of scientists who come every year as they study different parts of the island.  There are also the hikers and campers, who usually bring their own tents and then they quite willingly pay to stay in someone’s field. 

No one minds them as they are always polite and helpful.  In fact the local residents usually spoil them whenever they can.  Quite often you will see someone delivery a basket of food for them all, and you can always see some of the local also sitting around there camp fire with them. 

Then there are the nature lovers who usually come and study all the different animals and plants that the island, and quite often they find something new.  Then of course there are the residents, and then finally there are the soldiers.  There are also the soldiers whose base is on the far side of the island.  This was supposed to be a temporary base years ago, but it’s still here.

The soldier’s base and grounds are on half of the island, and we live on the rest of the island.  Apparently when the soldiers do move, there land will be up for sale.  Everyone always gets on well with these soldiers and they are usually there to help when needed.  The young cadets are always the friendliest and a bit shy as well. 

‘Maria 1’ is actually the second ferry on this route.  Plus there is also the ‘Maria 2’ which covers for the first ferry when needed and also does the extra work when needed.  Plus there are plans for both of them to work together.  As one ferry goes to the island, the other ferry will be on its way back.  The owners are busy working this out, as there are more and more passengers, so they are getting busier and busier.

The actual first ferry was called the ‘Maria Rose’ and for many years it ferries passengers to and from the Island until the tragedy took place.  The captain scrapped the ‘Maria Rose’ and he never sailed again.  In fact it was his sons who took over and they are still working together.  The ‘Maria Rose’ was scrapped and left in the local boatyard.  Gradually some parts, like benches and seats were used on the ‘Maria 1’ and ‘Maria 2’ after they were both damaged by lightning.

It was cheaper to use the parts from the other ferry than buying new ones, as they did not want to have to increase their fares to cover the costs.  It’s been thirteen years since the tragedy happened.  It had started off as a beautiful summer’s day in July.  There were no winds, the sea was calm, and it was a beautiful day.  It should have been another perfect calm crossing, like many before, but everything suddenly went wrong.

Suddenly out of nowhere dark clouds appeared and everything went dark.  Then the heavy violent rain and high winds started.  The ferry was being tossed violently from side to side and all the passengers were screaming and crying.  No-one knew what was happening.  Where had the storm come from?

The ferry was being tossed violently from side to side.  Suddenly the ferry rolled to one side and it was close to rolling completely over.  As it rolled back some of the passengers lost their grips and were no longer able to hold on.  There screams and shouts were being muffled by the wind and rain.  As it rolled back the other way, they started to slip and slide.  No one could do anything as everyone was trying to hold on.  The captain was busy trying to keep the ferry from sinking.  All he could do was watch.  His crew were trying and were able to pull a couple of children to safety. 

Suddenly again the ferry tipped again and some passengers were thrown along the ferry and over the sides.  A couple of passengers were able to grab them with their feet as they slipped by, but some went over.  Passengers tried to see, but the rain was hurting their eyes and they could not see anything.

As the passengers looked over the sides it was then that they noticed how the sea has turned black.  The passengers that had gone overboard could not be seen in the black sea.  Some life buoys had been thrown over by the crew in the hope that they would be found and used.  Then the turned there energy on helping the passengers that were still on board...

As quickly as the storm had started it ended.  Everyone ran to the ferry sides but they could not see anything.  The ferry captain has been continually radioing for help and finally he had got through to the coast guard.  Other boats quickly came and took over the search.  No one was found until a couple of days later when they were washed up onto the beaches. 

Five people lost their lives and one person was missing.  Those who had been found had been found with their eyes wide open and looking terrified.  The autopsy found that they all had strange cuts all over their bodies, and the coroner could not work out what had actually made them.

This was the last time that the Captain, John ever sailed his ferry again.  He was haunted by the sounds of everyone screaming and the sounds of that day, and he never forgot what happened.  He decided to move to the mainland with his family and he vowed never to speak about the tragedy to anyone.  But according to his two eldest sons, he does a lot of charity work.  No one would sail the ‘Maria Rose’ again so it was put in the boatyard and left for scrap. 

Immediately after the tragedy the army set up their boats to ferry people across until the new ferry could be sorted out and got ready.  Captain John’s sons, Jonathan and Nigel took over with both ‘Maria 1’ and ‘Maria 2’. 

At the age of twenty, Jonathan was classed as a young captain, but no one minded and he soon proved that he was a great Captain.  His brother Nigel was twenty eight and he also proved how he was also a great captain.  They had always loved boats and sailing and when the opportunity arose they used their savings to buy a couple of ferry’s which they did together.

The ‘Maria 1’ had only been sailing for a couple of years when a couple of benches and floor panels were damaged during a lightning strike.  No one was sure it was the lightening, but there were signs of a lightning strike.  These benches were replaced from the ‘Maria Rose’.  Their father had given them permission to take anything that was usable, especially if it keeps the cost down for the passengers.

This is when the extra passengers appeared.  Extra Passengers you are thinking.  Well I can tell you this much.  No one sees them or talks to them or even acknowledges them.  These passengers are always smartly dressed, though they always look sad.  They always start of dry and as we get closer to the buoy, they are all suddenly wet and then they vanish.  This is where all five of them were thrown overboard in the sudden storm.  Four bodies were found, the fifth is still missing.  After thirteen years no one knows what happened to the fifth passenger.

A sad, terrible ending, a tragedy and a mystery.  They always sit on the ferry seats that were taken from the ‘Maria Rose’.  Every year a wreath is thrown into the sea and the local vicar comes, so that all those who lost their lives in the tragedy can be remembered.

Plus people also stand on the beach with candles and lay flowers where their bodies were also found.  The ferry has to dock at the end of the harbour as the harbour is always fishing boats and small sailing crafts like rowing boats and dingys.  It usually best to wait for all the passengers to disembark as they are always rushing about.  Walking along the actual harbour, there is always the smell of fresh fish and seafood.  Gradually as you walk past all the fishermen and boat owners they always say ‘hello’ or ‘good morning’ or even ‘good afternoon’.  They are always polite and friendly.

Once you leave the harbour you gradually come to a small row of shops.  First are the bakers, yes an actual baker as the owner got fed up because he had to go to the mainland for fresh bread.  So he and his wife decided to make their own and after friends kept asking to buy some of them, they opened there own bakers.  And it’s a very popular baker.

Then there is also a small grocer that sells anything from meat to plugs.  Plus they will also order in anything you require, especially if they don’t have it in.  And if it’s something popular, they will add it to their shelves.

Then there is also a small cafe, a gift shop and part time hairdressers.  We even have a part time doctors and dentist and they share the same building.  They just have different rooms.  This works out well as they are both husband and wife and have actually been married only five years.  Though lately they are spending more time on the island as they have fallen in love with its beauty.

We also have a couple of hotels and a few bed and breakfast places.  These are always popular and they are always full.  The owners always say it’s because of the beautiful scenery and the beautiful island which keeps them in business.  If you are lucky you may even see a sea lion or two.  Plus the island has beautiful views no matter where you go. 

Nobody minds the hills along the front of the island.  But Katherine offers a wheelchair friendly tax service for anyone who needs it.  Her taxis are usually popular and even the residents have started using them.  As some will say, ‘Why struggle when you can get a ride’.

Once you get past the shops you gradually come to the first set of houses.  Then the rest of the houses and bungalows and spread all over the rest of the island.  There are no street names, just house numbers, and some house names.  Everywhere you go you will find many trees and a few woods.  The trees were here first and then the people came.  

The soldier’s base and barracks are on the far side of the island.  As I have said before, this base was supposed to be only temporary, but it is still here after many years.  You may see the odd soldiers or cadet as they are training or coming to and from the mainland.  You will find that the soldiers are always there to help whenever they are needed. 

My father actually works at the army base, though I am not sure what he does exactly, though he does have many skills and abilities.  We both live with my grandma in the only five bed roomed house on the island.  Well, the only one we know about anyway.

Originally it was a three bed roomed house, but rooms were added and so were some extensions.  So gradually it turned from a three bed roomed  house into a spacious five bed roomed one.  My mother was killed when I was only six months old.  She was hit by a hit and run driver, who was never found, and he was believed to have been drunk.  Both my grandma and father always tell me about how my mother pushed my pram out of the way, so the car hit her and not me.  She saved me.  Though it should never have happened.

They say she died instantly and felt nothing.  Fourteen years ago she left me, but I will always remember and know her thanks to my father and my grandma.  Plus every time I go to the cemetery to see her grave and change her flowers, I talk to her and tell her about how I am doing and more. Thanks to my father and grandma I know practically everything about my mother.  As they both constantly tell me about her and show me pictures and tell me stories from when she was growing up. 

They even made me a photo album which is so special to me.   Soon after my mother’s dead we moved in with my grandma permanently.  We did only stay there every weekend with my mother, but moved in full time at the request of my grandma. 

The front of our house if made from red brink and under each window is a window box painted white and green.  In each box you will find plant pots which fit in snugly.  This makes it a lot easier to change the dead plants for new and better ones.  One of the window boxes is full of herbs which we use daily.  Our front porch is also painted white and green.  Lavender lines all the round planters which are on the porch.  This is mainly because my mother loved and adored the smell and look of lavender.

Our neighbours are quite friendly, apart from one person.  Simon Jackson.  He and my grandma have never got on.  The reason being is that my grandma was best friends with his mother, Pearl.  When his mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer, it was my grandma who helped to look after her.  My grandma had her own family, but her best friend needed her, so she shared her time with no thoughts to herself.

When his mother’s health had finally reached the stage where she had not long left.  Her breathing had become noisy and laboured and when Simon saw his mother he ran away, again.  By the time he finally decided to return, he found that his mother had passed away.  Immediately he changed.  He started to blame my grandma for his mother death and he kept telling everyone this.  But nobody believed him, especially as they had all known my grandma before him.

Everyone kept telling him how he always chose the easy way out by running around whenever his mother needed him.  He kept abandoning her.  He never even went to his mother’s funeral, but he was first in line at the Will reading.  But he was soon very angry and furious when he heard how he would not be getting everything.  His mother had decided to share everything she had between her friends and family.  She actually left him some money and the house they lived in. 

Then the solicitor read out how my grandma has been left a good amount of money.  More than he had been left and this made him so angry.  It turns out his mother knew about my grandmas dream to extend her family home, and she provided the means to do it.  After all she was the only one who stood by her.  Simon shouted and then stormed out. 

My grandma never expected anything and was so pleased how her friend had thought about her.  The money she received helped to pay for the extra rooms and extensions.  My grandma had always wanted her home to be a family home for generations to home.

Over the years Simons hated had grown and grown.  He is constantly after our home and no matter how many times he asks or makes an offer, ‘No’ is always her answer.  As far as Simons concerned, his inheritance is in that house, so it rightly belongs to him.  But everyone knows it doesn’t.

After a few years he finally got married to Katelyn and they have three children together.  Robbie is the oldest at eighteen and he is a mean, nasty, cruel boy just like his father.  Then threes Sapphire, Fourteen, and finally Matilda, Ten.  We all go to the same school apart from Robbie who does nothing apart from stay at home and watch TV.  When he does go out it’s usually to cause trouble and do something bad.

Every child up to the age of sixteen attends our island school.  To get to school you need to follow the footpath that runs along the stream for about ten minutes and then you will gradually come across a set of six porta cabins.  These are all joined together, and this is our school.  Originally there was a large building, but this was destroyed by fire.  Lightening they think or arson. 

The think the school may have been hit the night before in the storm.  Since then they have put lightning protector things on the roofs.  The army had provided some cabins which were suppose to be temporary, but not enough money was ever raised to rebuild this, so the cabins stayed. 

Nothing happens on this island, but there is a feeling in the air.  Things are changing, but why.  Something is about to happen on this quiet island, ‘A Mystery’, but what.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Two

The Bear and More

     The ferry is full like usual today.  The soldiers and cadets are all onboard and they always sit in a group and are always busy talking.  Then near them are the mothers with all their children who are busy talking and don’t seem to care that their children are running around and making a noise and being a nuisance.  Like it is everyday it’s another full ferry and there are no seats available.  Though some seats are never sat on and these are always ignored.  Though maybe someone will sit on them but they never stay there for long.

These are the seats from the ‘Maria Rose’, and after the tragedy people refused to sit on them.  They would actually rather stand than sit on them.  Though if you ask any one they all come up with the same answer, ‘its cold sitting on these seats.  There is always a chill and sometimes it feels like someone’s touching you’.  So they avoid them as much as possible.

Every single day there are the passengers that nobody sees.  The Ghosts.  Nothing unusual as it’s the same every single day, but today something feels different.  The only unusual thing today is that the ghosts appear to be staring at me.

Usually I am ignored, but not today.  Today they are looking directly at me.  It could be my imagination though.  Ghosts don’t bother or scare me.  The abilities to see ghosts are one of the things I have always been able to do.  Apparently my mother was the same and she could also see ghosts.

The ghosts always disappear at the same time, and then the rest of the trip is quiet and peaceful.  This is because as they are disappearing you can hear screaming and shouting and panicking.  And it always feels cold and there is always a strange feeling in the air.  A dark feeling.  The sound is one you cannot ignore.  Once you hear it you will be haunted by it for a long time to come.

The buoy is getting closer which means they will slowly disappear, vanish. 

‘Beware, Beware’ the ghosts whisper as they are leaving and they are staring at me as they vanish.

They have never spoken before.  But what do they mean.  What, Beware about what?  ‘Ouch’, one of the children just ran into me passing, but does their mother care, no.  They are too busy talking.  As I gradually look up and around I can see the captain who is also staring at me.  When he sees me looking he just smiles and nods and then looks away.

The docking is a smooth one and whilst walking up the harbour a fishermen gives me a couple of crabs for my grandma.  The walk up to my grandmas is usually a nice walk, but I have to walk past Simons.  Going past his home is not usually a pleasant one, especially if Robbie is sat on the porch.  Simon is still a nasty piece of work and over the years he has got meaner. 

Today thought I keep getting the feeling that someone is following me, watching.  All around me people are busy rushing around and there are cars going all over the place.  But every time I turn around, there is no one there.  But this time I thought I saw something.  Whoever is following me is hiding a short distance away from me.  He is just stood there, staring and watching.

From what I can see this is a black haired boy and he looks about thirteen and I can see practically all the way through him, which means he is a ghost, but why is he following me.

‘Ah there you are Brittany.  How was your trip today?  Ferry crossing ok, everything else ok’.

‘Yes grandma, the ferry crossing was calm and I saw the usual ghosts, except’.

‘Except what, Brittany’.

‘Well, the passenger ghosts were on the ferry again, but today they seemed to be staring at me, and as they left they kept saying ‘Beware’, ‘Beware’.  Then on my way home I am being followed by a ghost.  A boy looking about thirteen with black hair, and I don’t know why grandma’.

‘Well Brittany.  Beware, I wonder what they mean.  Black haired boy you say, about thirteen.  That sounds like poor Peter Smith.  Peter Smith disappeared on this island five years ago, and he would have just turned thirteen’.

‘Peter Smith, how come he disappeared.  Grandma is there anything else you know about him’.

‘Well Brittany, all I know is that he disappeared on a school day.  Try looking on the computer.  You may find an actual picture and some more information.

The laptop is sat on the kitchen table waiting for me.  It does not take long to connect to the internet and soon I find what I am looking for.

‘Peter Smith aged thirteen.  Last seen before the school dinner hour when he left with his pack up.  Peter never returned to class and a search party was formed.  His friends last saw him leaving with his lunch and were concerned when he never returned, as he had never missed a day at school.  All his friends say that in the morning, Peter was seen having a fight with Robbie.  But Robbie kept saying that he never saw him as they were actually planning on sorting it out after their last lesson.  After two weeks of searching, the search was called off’.

‘Wow’, I wonder what actually happened to him, and was Robbie involved. 

‘Your father will be home soon so can you please clear the table, and what do you fancy for tea today’.

‘Oh grandma, I forgot to tell you.  One of the fishermen has sent you a couple of crabs he had spare’.

‘Brilliant Brittany, Crab Cakes and chips for tea, interested’.

‘Yes please.  I love fresh crab cakes’ I tell her as I walk out the room.

My bedroom is at the top of the house in the attic.  There are actually two bedrooms up there and they are both quite spacious to say they are built in the attic.  In my bedroom, I have a round window that faces out into the back garden.  Behind our house is our back garden and at the end of our garden are some woods. 

Most of the trees and woods are all joined together around the island.  When in these woods if you look and listen carefully you may see a deer or two and rabbits.  Usually there is a squirrel or two and sometimes I can see these from my bedroom window.  Watching the stars at night with my telescope is a hobby of mine, plus I find it relaxing.  And I am always surprised when I am lucky enough to see or hear an owl or true.  There are always lots of birds sitting and nesting in the trees and singing away.

My father bought me my telescope and he even set it up for me as a surprise for my last birthday. 

‘Brittany’ shouts my grandma.  ‘Teas ready’.

‘Coming’ I shout back as I leave my bedroom.  ‘What was that’?  I was sure that I just saw someone in my mirror and it certainly was not me.  Maybe I am seeing things again.

‘How’s your day been’ asks my father as he sits down.

At the table both my grandma and father are sat listening to everything I said.   They are listening and eating.  Slowly I explain how things appeared different on the ferry, and how today someone was following, which we think was Peter, but I am not sure.  Then on my way down stairs I could have sworn that there was someone in my mirror, watching me.  At first my father just stared at me and then he spoke.

‘A lot has happened by the sounds of it, but I am sure that it will all be clear soon.  As I am away at work a lot I have bought you a mobile phone.  Something is happening on the island, but I cannot tell you yet’.

‘A mobile phone.  Great, thanks’.

Whilst washing the pots all I could think about was Peter.  And what did my father mean by there being something going on on the island.  After tea my grandma always goes to sit in the front window as she loves to watch the world go by.  People are used to seeing her there in the window and they are wave and smile as they pass.  But Simon never does.  He just stares and pulls a face, but she ignored him, ‘the silly man’ she calls him.

‘Come on play cards with me Brittany’ says my grandma.

‘Sure, coming’.

Patience and snap, we always play a few games.  The time always passes quickly and soon its time for bed.  Outside it’s turned from light to dark.  The only lights are on from the houses and a few street lamps.  As it’s a school night my bedtime is nine pm.  As I get up from my seat I am sure that outside was Peter, stood watching.

‘Goodnight everyone’ I say as I make my way up to my bedroom.  ‘Goodnight Peter’ I whisper.

As I lay in my bed all is quiet outside.  Where my bed is I can see outside and the stars are clear tonight.  Something doesn’t feel quite right, so I go to my window.  Outside is Peter.  This time he is stood in the trees and I can see him clearly in the moonlight.  Tonight I ignore him as my pillow and duvet are calling.

‘I am just about to leave for work, but there is also no school today.  School has just phoned and they have had a bad leak so they have had to close today’ he says walking into my bedroom.

After hearing him I just roll over and go back to sleep.  Later I wake up with the sun in my eyes and as my father’s at work and my grandma will be in her window.  So a walk on the beach and I will see if I can collect some shells and fossils.

‘Good morning’ I say to her as I enter the room.

‘Good morning, to you Brittany, what are you planning on doing today’ she asks.

‘First I thought about having some pancakes for breakfast.  Then a walk on the beach sounds good.  Then after I wondered about doing some baking’.

‘It sounds like you have a busy day ahead of you.  But remember to take your mobile phone with you.  Your father asked me to remind you as he left’.

The weather outside is great so it’s a perfect day for walk on the beach.  The walk down to the beach is always a pleasant one.  All around you are trees and nature, but first you need to walk through a couple of woods and then you gradually come to some steps on the cliff edge.  Carefully climb down these and then you are on the beach.

The golden sands always look welcoming and the sand even feels warm to the touch and gritty.  Walking and picking up the stones and then after looking at them, drop them back down is fun.  Especially when you pick up a fossil.  The sea is quite calm and a few waves and crashing onto the beach.  Seagulls are busy and so are the sea lions.

The sea lions are playing with each other and the seagulls appear to be fishing and floating on the sea.  In the distance there is a small boat which is following the sea line, and it appears to be returning to the army base.  As it gets closer I can see that it’s full of soldiers.  They must have been out training and are now returning.

They wave at me and I wave back.  As I walk along I suddenly hear someone whistle behind me.  Well it sounded like someone whistling in the wind, trying to get my attention.  As I turn around I suddenly see Peter, and he is frantically pointing towards something.  Carefully I follow and look where he is pointing and I freeze. 

Coming out of a cave is a big bear and it looks angry.  The bear is running my way and its definitely coming out of a cave.  Roar it goes.  As first all I can do is stand there and watch.  My heart is pounding that fast it feels like it may explode.  Suddenly it feels like someone is pulling at me and shouting ‘Run, Run’.  In which my legs finally take over from my brain and run.

Behind me I can hear the bear running and roaring.  Faster and faster I run, as I am trying to keep ahead of the bear.  Luckily I had a head start and started running he got near me.  Peter fades as I quickly run past him, though I am saw he was behind me to start with and not in front of me.  At this point I remember my mobile phone.  Glad my father number was on speed dial.  When he finally answered all I could shout down the phone was ‘Bear, after me’, then the phone goes dead.  No signal, so annoying.  Why does the signal go when you need it the most?  AAAAh.

In front of me and getting nearer quicker are some slipper rocks, which are on a few parts of the beach.  These are quite slippy and are not easy to get over.  The first set of rocks I get over quite easy and the bear has slowed down.  The second set of rocks wasn’t as easy.  Seaweed was covering the rocks so they are very slippy.  Running and climbing over these is not easy as I am slipping and sliding along.

Just as I thought I had cleared them, I catch my foot and down I go.  ‘Ouch’ I shout, as that hurt.  Bang as I land on the floor quite heavily.  As I crash down I catch the side of my head on one of the small rocks.  I can hear the bear getting closer.  How I wish I could just disappear into the sand.  Everything around me is starting to get blurry and the pain is practically unbearable. 

The last thing I saw as everything started to get dark was something, someone running towards me, and then I hear a loud bang, and then that’s it.  Darkness has fallen.  I lay there unconscious and in pain as the soldiers are gather around me. 

They all check that the bear is dead and they are all confused as to how the bear had actually got onto the island.  Then I am lifted onto a stretcher and taken away to the base hospital.  That’s where I woke up a few hours later.

‘She’s coming round’ I hear as I am slowly coming around.

‘You are one lucky lady’ says the doctor looking at me from the side of my bed.

‘Can you remember anything that happened’ my father asked.

‘Peter, Soldiers, Bear, Falling, Pain, Wet and Sticky’ and that’s it.

‘From what we can work out, somehow a bear got onto this island and it was running after you for some reason.  Luckily you had your mobile phone and you shouted down my ear.  I am actually still a little death from your shouting.  As one of the soldiers who saw you looked back, he thought he saw a bear.  So everyone looked, and yes there was a bear.  Then they immediately noticed that the bear seemed to be chasing after you, and they were surprised at how fast you could run.’

‘The soldiers then quickly landed onto the beach and ran to your aid.  They just got there as they saw you tumble and bang your head.  They were able to shoot the bear just before it was able to reach you.  It turns out the bear was micro chipped and belonged to a private collector and it was stolen from his zoo the day before’ continued my father.

‘When I was on the beach I thought I could hear someone whistling and trying to get my attention.  When I turned around I saw Peter and he was frantically pointing.  When I looked I saw the bear.  Then when I was running I remember passing Peter, who was originally behind me’ I said.

‘Whose Peter’ the doctor asked.

‘Peter is a ghost.  He went missing a few years ago and no one ever found him.  He actually started following me and watching me a couple of days ago’ I told them.

‘A ghost.  Well I don’t believe in ghost.  Well in a professional capacity I don’t believe ghosts, but personally I have seen enough in my life time to believe that there is something there’, the doctor told us.

‘Could be your imagination’ says the nurse.

‘Well you have mild concussion from banging your head.  You also have a broken ankle and a broken wrist and a few cuts and grazes.  Apart from that you have been very lucky’ says my doctor.  ‘Take these painkillers; take two only four times a day.  No more than eight and get plenty of rest.  No school for you until the swellings have gone down and you are able to hobble to school and back.  Use the crutches to get around’.

At home my grandma was already waiting for us.  She wanted to know everything that had gone on.  So I told her.  Looking around I can tell that she is upset as she always spring cleans to calm her nerves.  Everything has been dusted and moved around.  Even the mirror looks like it had a polish.  She has also put a new cover on her chair and the washing me is busy spinning away with the other one in.  There is also some fresh roses on the kitchen table and in the other vases.

There is also a nice fresh smell of polish and flowers everywhere.  Even the photos had been polished and moved around.  Everywhere smelt clean and fresh and she had even managed to open a couple of windows.  Telling my grandma about what I remembered was not a nice job.  She got angry but calm.

‘I bet Simon is behind this’ she said.

Getting up the stairs is not easy on crutches but I somehow managed it.  I think coming down I will have to sit on my bottom and slide down, step by step.  It looks like my grandma has even been upstairs.  My window is open and there is a fresh clean smell in here.  And I can definitely smell Lavender.

And I know my grandma uses lavender polish as she also loves the fresh smell it leaves.  And I also think it reminds she her off my mother.  Finally I had just managed to get onto my bed and get comfy when!

Knock Knock.  ‘Come in’.

‘Both me and your grandma thought that you may be hungry after your ordeal.  So we I have brought you some food up and something to drink as well.  Plus if you give me a minute I will sort out your television for you, and then you can relax whilst you are up here.  Come down only when you are ready.  Your friends from school will be bringing any home work for you’ says my father.  A short while later he leaves.

For two days I actually stayed in my bedroom.  Mainly sleeping off the pain killers and the pain.  Then finally I felt up to going down stairs.  This was actually easier than going upstairs.  I took each step at a time.  Sat on my bottom and slowly slid down.  My crutches just slid after me.  Standing up at the bottom was a little bit harder.

Once I finally made it into the living the first thing I noticed was that the other chair in the window had been moved and the spare settee had been moved next to my grandma’s chair. 

‘We thought you would prefer to sit in the window than in the middle of the room’ she says.

It took another two weeks before I was well enough to attend school again.  My doctor kept coming to check and me and he finally said it was time to return to school.  But apparently I still need to rest.  All my friends were waiting for me to be able to return to school, and they had kept bringing me any school work and homework.  Even our teachers came to see me, so I certainly did not miss anything.

After all, who actually likes school?  My class even made me a get well card.  My entire friends did it for me.  And since Robbie does not attend school anymore, I was glad he had nothing to do with it.  Though both of his sisters signed it.  Robbie is a nasty boy and I certainly don’t like him.  Actually nobody does.  He is as nasty and evil as his father and there are no improvements between them both.

The walk to school is always a nice walk.  Especially as you are surrounded by trees and wildlife.  You need to follow the stone path through the woods and along the side of the stream to reach our porta cabins and school.  As you walk along the stream the sound of water, trickling past is quite relaxing and a soothing sound.  At least I think it is anyway.  At one point there are a couple of stepping stones that go over to the other side of the stream.

At this side the woods open up and there is a large gap in the trees.  So the sun shines through nicely, which makes it a nice place to sit and have a picnic.  Today there are some soldiers who are sitting on the ground having a rest.  Their back packs are on the ground next to them.  They all turn and wave and smile as soon as they see me hobbling past.  As I look at them I keep getting the feeling that something’s going to go wrong, something’s going to happen.  But its only a feeling.

Yes again I have seen Peter.  He is stood watching the soldiers from a distance, but I don’t know why, but it makes me think and I am sure he is always around when something’s going to happen.  Though it could just be a coincidence. 

‘Good morning Brittany and everyone’ says our teacher.  ‘I hope that you are well Brittany.  We are all glad that you could make it back and we are so sorry about what happened.  Its amazing how many different stories we heard about what happened.  Today we are getting ready for the long summer holidays.  Then there will only be a year left at school for some of you.  Hopefully they will all then go onto college and university.  I hear that some of you have already been looking at your options and what courses are on offer’.

‘It depends on how well I do in my exams, but I have been looking at a couple of colleges and what courses they do.  One college and course is my favourite at the moment.  One college has a course called ‘Paranormal Studies’, which sounds great.  This course doesn’t actually start for another year, but they are taking names down already.  So I will certainly be working hard towards my exams’ I told everyone.

‘Paranormal Studies’ shouts Robbie through the window as he sneaking past.  ‘Ghosts, Ghouls, Vampires and Werewolves.  Well I hope that the Vampires and Werewolves get you and your weird friends’.  Suddenly his hat is knocked off on to the ground.  ‘WHAT WAS THAT AND WHO DID IT’ he shouts as he runs away.

I think that it may be best if I don’t tell him that Peter was walking past him and that he actually knocked his hat off.  Good One Peter.

‘Everyone time to start work, come on sit down and be quiet.  Just ignore Robbie.  He always opens his mouth before his brain works’ the teacher said.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Three

The Soldiers Disappearance

     School finally ended at three pm and as soon as the bell went everyone left.  Outside it was still sunny and there was a cool breeze blowing the tree branches softly backwards and forwards.  Its easier to let everyone else leave first.  I prefer to leave last as its easier with using my crutches.  The walk back along the stream is quiet apart from a few birds flying about and singing in the trees.  In the distance I can see a deer and a couple of rabbits who suddenly run away.

Suddenly I get goose pimples and I am feeling very cold.  Something is wrong, but what.  Suddenly as I get to the stepping stones I can see Peter.  He is waiting for me and as soon as he sees me he starts to point.  Obviously there is something wrong.  As I look I can see quite clearly a soldiers back pack, which is just sitting there on the ground.  It actually looks as though it has just been put down and left.

‘Hello is there anyone around’ I shout.  No answer.

Ok what should I do.  Ah, where’s my mobile.  I actually remembered to charge it up.  Well my grandma did.  Second thing is to speed dial my father.  Oh and this time I had better not shout and deafen him again.  He will know what to do.  Well I hope he does.

‘Hello Brittany.  What’s wrong this time’ he immediately asks.

‘How do you know there’s something wrong?  Anyway I called because I am hobbling home slowly.  First I saw Peter who was pointing towards something.  Which is a soldier’s back pack at the other side of the stream where I saw them this morning?  I have shouted but there is not answer’.

‘I can tell by the sound off your voice.  Stay there.  Don’t move.  We will be straight over’ and then he hung up.

Well it looks like I am going nowhere.  My ankle is hurting and so is my wrist, and I am stuck here, waiting.  Nowhere to sit either, just my luck I guess.  That sounds like a vehicle coming.  Ah a jeep and my father is in the passenger seat.  About time, especially as it feels like I have been stood here, in pain waiting forever.

‘There you are Brittany’ says my father as he gets out of the jeep.

Two soldiers also get out with him. 

‘Hi Brittany, where is the back pack you have seen please.  Oh, and if you get into the back of the jeep we will give both you and your father a life home.  I personally think you need it as you look in pain and as though you cannot walk any more’ a soldier said.

‘The back pack is over there.  No one is around, but I could only shout and I cannot get over the stepping stones’, though I am sure Peter would have let me know if there had been someone around.  But I think its best not to tell them that.

Getting into the back of the jeep was easier with some help.  The ride back to grandmas was quite bumpy and painful but I was certainly glad when we reached home.  At home my grandma was already waiting for me with a cup of hot chocolate, which I was certainly ready for and enjoyed.  It was after a couple of hours before my father finally came home from work and I could tell immediately there was something wrong.

Once we all sat down, we were able to finally find out from my father how yet another soldier had gone missing.  That was a total of two who had disappeared in the last couple of days.  The army had searched the whole island as best they could, but the soldiers have disappeared.  All they leave behind are there back packs.  They had even been enquiry on the ferry, but no soldiers had been on any of the days.  It was a mystery.  Where were they?

‘They are not dead.  They are being held in a dark and damp room.  Somewhere cold and old.  Somewhere that smells of the sea.  But I don’t know where.  Its just a feeling I keep getting every time I think about them.  And the more I think about them, I can see them.  Just not clearly yet’.

Both my father and grandma just stared at me and then my father finally spoke.

‘You are getting more and more like your mother as you slowly grow up.  Your mother was able to see ghosts and she could all tell you things before they had actually happened.  You see your mother was psychic.  These abilities she has passed onto you.  Always trust your feelings; this is important, she would always say’.

Abilities, what does he mean.  I guess though that time will tell.  Anyway the smell of tea is winning me over.  Definitely smells like Haddock and chips with mushy peas and some fresh bread from the local bakers.

‘Come on you two, tea.  I may be old but I can still cook’ she tells us as she is sitting down.

Whilst tucking in I actually realised how old my grandma was looking.  This is something that I have never noticed before, but every time I look at her I keep getting the feeling and strong sense that her seat will be empty soon.  Not a nice thought, but I hope that I am wrong.

‘As soon as you have finished Brittany, I will be taking you back to our base as your doctor would like to give you a check up’ my father says as he is getting up.

I know one thing.  I think its best not to tell my father that suddenly all my pain has gone.  It actually disappeared on the way back today.  My ankle has stopped hurting and my wrist feels a lot better.  And I would say there is no more concussion.  No pains.  Nothing. 

As soon as we get there the doctor is already waiting for me.  Looking around you can tell there’s something going on as there are soldiers running around all over the place, and no one looks happy.  Just concerned. 

‘Firstly this nurse will be taking you for an x-ray.  Then we can see what’s going on.  Then we will be able to see when your castings will be able to come off.  Anyway, how is your head, and has the concussion eased yet’ the doctor said.

‘Your x-rays are back so let’s take a look’ the doctor says.  ‘By the look of your x-rays everything has actually fully healed.  Though it should have been more than 4 weeks to heal anything, especially as it usually takes about six weeks or more.  So I guess we can remove your casts’.

After the visit both my father and I got a lift home in one of the jeeps and this time it was a comfier ride.  Though the closer we got to our house the colder I felt.  Something does not feel right, but I hope everything is well.  As we get closer we can see that my grandma is still sat in the window in her favourite chair and she looks like she is sleeping.  Usually she would start waving as soon as she saw us, but not today.  Something is wrong.

My father must feel the same as I watch him walk slowly inside.  Both I and the soldier watch as he walks into the window and checks our grandma.  I then watch as my father pulls the cover off the settee and places it over her.  He then closes the curtains.  Just in time as well as Simon walked past.  Our grandma has passed on.  It appears she left us when we were out at the doctors.  How I wish I had said something.  How I wish I had told her how much I love her and more.

‘It's ok Brittany, all is well.  I am with your mother and we will both be watching over you’ whispers my grandmother in my ear. But I am unable to see her.  But maybe it’s too soon.  As my father walks out he is suddenly looking tired and sad.  Immediately he looks and me and before he can tell me I tell him I know, and I tell him what my grandma had whispered.  He just smiled and then he went to talk to the soldier.  My father then came and put his arms around me and guided me inside.

The pain and sadness of losing her hits me as we walk through the front door and into the living room.  The house is cold and sad and the lavender smell has died away.  My grandma is still sat in her favourite chair in her favourite window.  Looking at her you would think that she had just fallen asleep under the blanket that my father covered her with.  On her lap she is holding a picture of both me and my mother.  It’s actually a photo I have never seen before. 

It’s one of my mother sat in her hospital bed and she is holding and cradling me.  I guess by the looks of it I was only a couple of hours old. 

‘That was her favourite picture’ says my father as he re enters the room.  ‘She always said it would be yours one day, so I guess she would want you to have it.  The undertaker will be here soon and it’s up to you where you stay tonight.  You can either stay here or at one of your friends’.

‘I think’ I started to say but before I can finish my sentence someone whispers in my ear ‘stay here, you will be safer here, beware, beware, things are changing, evil is coming, beware’, but who was it.  Though thinking about it I thought it sounded a bit like my grandma but I am not sure, especially as they were whispering.

Finally I finish my sentence and tell my father that I will be staying home tonight.  ‘After all this was our home, and I bet Simon will be over as soon as he finds out.  And I certainly don’t trust him or his son Robbie’.

‘Do you remember Diamond’ asked my father.  ‘Well she is currently on the island visiting her friend, Heather, and she are willing to come here for a bit and help to look after you.  That way you will not be on your own through this hard time when I am at work’.

I do remember Diamond.  Who wouldn’t?  With her black hair, long beaded skirts and fancy tops.  Looks like she is well into nature and maybe a bit of weird stuff.  Oh yes I do remember her, who wouldn’t.  Though I can tell you that I don’t actually know what she is like, though I guess I will find out soon.

‘Brittany the undertakers have just arrived from the base.  Plus Diamond has arrived as well.  Tonight we are doing nothing, but staying here together.  Everything will be sorted tomorrow.  I just have a few phone calls to make, including your Uncle James’ my father said as he left the room.

Suddenly he stopped and stared at me.

‘Another one has been taken.  He trapped him and took him, the fourth soldier has been taken’ I suddenly said.

‘What’ said my father?  ‘Only two are missing not four he said’ and he immediately got on the phone.

He then went upstairs into his room after he showed the undertakers out.  He will be phoning around and giving everyone the bad news, but someone has to do it.  Diamond is busy looking in the kitchen and working out where everything is.  I know because I can hear the draws and cupboards opening and closing.

Then I could hear the fridge opening and pans being got down.  Well we still have to eat I guess.

‘Knock, Knock’ on the front door

Ok I guess nobody has heard the front door so I guess it’s up to me to open it.  Today the front door looks bigger than it ever did.  Just an illusion I think, but as I reach the door something is pulling me back.  It feels like someone is holding me and stopping me from opening the door and it has suddenly gone cold. 

Suddenly with a loud bang all the locks go on in one go, together.  They must have heard the locks as suddenly both Diamond and my father come running to the door.

‘What’s going on’ they both ask together.

‘Knock’ it goes again but this time it’s louder.

‘Someone is knocking and I cannot open the door.  Something is pulling me back and then all the locks have suddenly gone on all together’.

‘Well let’s go and look out behind the curtains.  Then we can see who it is though I think we all can guess, Simon’ says my father as we head towards the front window.

As we pull back the curtain and look outside we can see Simon and a few men are with him.  And by the way they are all dressed like look like thugs.  There is also a removal park just outside.  As soon as he sees us he starts banging again and shouting.

‘GET OUT, GET OUT.  THIS HOUSE IS MINE. YOU HEAR ME, THIS IS MY INHERITANCE, MY HOUSE SO GET THE F**K OUT, OR YOU WILL ALL BE SORRY’.

But we just ignore him.  But before Simon can actually do anything a couple of army trucks pull up outside.  They had actually come to see my father, but it was perfect timing as Simon took one look at them and he left quickly. 

One of the soldiers can in to inform my father that another soldier had gone missing, well they thought one but apparently there’s two.  They were on their way to search while they were still some day lights.  My father agreed to go and help and he decided that it would be safer for me to say in the house with Diamond.

How dare Simon come demanding this house, how dare he.  As my father left and everything went quiet it hit me again, the pain the sadness.  In fact the rest of the day passes in a blur.  And soon its bedtime.  Diamond ran me a nice warm bath which I welcomed.  I was hoping it would help me sleep.  As I got out of the bath and glanced at the bathroom mirror, and imagine my shock when I could have sworn I saw someone else’s reflection.

But before I settle down and walk over to my window to look out.  Our back garden was so peaceful in the moonlight.  As I look towards the woods I can see a deer running past.  The trees and leaves always look so much different at night as it does in the day.  Then I spot Peter.  He is stood at the side of a tree and looking towards me.  Today though he finally smiles and waves before disappearing.

As well as finding out what is happening to the soldiers, I also hope to find out what happened to poor Peter.  Someone somewhere must know something.  Though Simon and Robbie are my main suspects.  Well they are so nasty and evil, and just looking at them I don’t trust them.

My pillows feel so soft and fluffy as I finally settle down to sleep in them.  As soon as I am asleep I start dreaming.

“The trees below me look as different as I am actually floating or flying above them.  The leaves and branches feel so soft and crunchy in my fingers.  Below me I can see some deer’s and rabbits running around.  Suddenly the daylight goes and its night time.  Ahead of me and below me I can see a group of soldiers searching.  They are looking and checking everywhere, but they still have not found the missing soldier.  Suddenly I am flying forwards at speed and I stop dead near the beach.  Below me the beach looks so small and empty in the moonlight.  Then I am suddenly in what looks and feel like a cave.  Though I have no idea how I got here, but it smells and sounds like a cave.  The walls are also wet and dripping.

The floor looks dirty and there looks to be old roots growing drown the walls.  At the far end of the cave I can just about see something, but it takes a couple of minutes for my eyes to gradually adjust.  Soldiers have been tied with their hands above their heads and they are fastened to some old chains that are fixed to the cave walls.  There are old chains above them, which must have been here for hundreds of years.  Was it an old dungeon or pirate cave I wondered? 

Then slowly I can see piles of sticks which look like firewood, and each soldier has a bundle under their feet.  Slowly I count five soldiers, but I thought that only four were missing.  Then suddenly I am flying backwards and into my bed” and then I wake up.

‘Wow that was a dream and half.  I wonder what it actually means’.

Going down the creaky stairs feels quite odd today as the house feel cold and sad.  The smell of lavender has gone, and there is no smell of cooking.  It’s a sad house and I guess our house misses her as well.  We will all miss her but life must go on.  Well that’s what she would say.

The next few days pass in a blur.  My father is busy sorting out the funeral and arranging everything else.  No one trusts Simon and everyone is keeping an eye on him.  I think everyone was glad when the family solicitor arranged to do the Will reading on the island.  Both I and Diamond stayed behind when my father went to the harbour to meet our solicitor.

Whilst we were out some of Diamonds friends came to quickly do some repairs.  E.g. the lock on the back door kept sticking, so this was sorted out.  They were actually keeping an eye on the house as Simon keeps passing and having a good look.  My grandma has left her home to both me and my father.  Any money she had has also been left to me for my college fund, plus she also left some other items to her family, like our Uncle James got her oil paintings that he always loved. 

Plus she left some for my father as well.  So everyone in the family got something or other.  It felt odd seeing everyone after such a long time.  My Uncle James lives on the mainland with my Auntie Rose, but we always talk on the phone, but it was actually nice to catch up with them.

The solicitor had found a room for us for the Will reading, though it was nice to get back home.  As soon as we walked through the front door we were hit with a lovely lavender smell, which appeared to be everywhere.  Originally my father thought that Diamond may have been spraying something, but she said that she hadn’t as she had not found the lavender polish yet.

‘The smell started just after dinner, and though we looked around, we could not find where the smell was coming from’ said Diamond.

I haven’t seen Peter around for a couple of days, but it could have been that I have been too busy to notice him.  Though Simon has been hanging around a lot, and he is constantly walking past and he is always staring in to the window.  Sitting next to my grandma when she was sat in the window and putting faces at Simon was good and fun, but not anymore.

It’s been a few weeks since my grandma died and her funeral.  Peter has only been showing himself a few times, but I have also noticed how he is always watching Diamond as though he knows her, especially when she is busy in the garden.  But sometimes it does look as though he recognises her from somewhere.  But where I don’t know. 

Nothing has changed in my grandma’s house, apart from a few repairs.  All of my grandma’s stuff has been sorted and sent to the local charity and some of her items have been sold.  Which was one of her requests, as she had wanted all her stuff sorting and sending to the local charity shop or selling, or even finding a good new home.

So we are fulfilling her wish the best we can.  My dreams have not changed and they keep continuing, and each time I keep getting a strong feeling that I have actually seen that cave before.  I am also sure that I am actually been in that cave before, but at the moment my memories not working, but somehow I will work this mystery out. 

Today I actually found something out whilst talking and helping her in the garden.  It turns out that Peter was actually her nephew, and that his mother, her sister still lives in the same cottage in the middle of the island.

Diamond explained how she felt and believed that something dreadful had happened to Peter and that he was dead, or he would have returned home to his mother.  The thought of him lying there, somewhere and not being found hurts more, she explained.  How can I tell her and explain to her that I have been seeing Peter for some time now and that I am not sure what he wants.

Diamond told me that she was planning to visit her sister in a couple of days and that if I want I can tag along.  Hopefully I will be able to understand more about Peter and how he lived and what he was actually like, and if he had any enemies.

My dreams are gradually changing and they are slowly becoming clearer and clearer.  This could be because I am concentrating more and trying to see more.  So far I have noticed that there is a path that goes through the woods.  This path looks like an old pass as it’s not very warn, but it passes directly past the grate which has been covered and hidden.

This path also leads to another part of the beach.  An old part from what I can work out.  A quiet part as well.  All along the beach are the usual cliff walls, which are covered with years of weeds growing down them.  So they are all overgrown and the cliff actually looks like pretty with their overgrown blankets covering them.

But this is as far as I keep getting.  I am always outside and looking around and then suddenly I am always inside.  Each time it looks like there are more and more soldiers slowly being added.  Everyone is gagged and tied up and maybe even drugged.  But there is another soldier, or is it a soldier.  The cave is too dark for me to actually see.  But there looks to be another person.  Someone shorter and smaller than the soldiers, but that’s as close as I can get.  Then suddenly I am always back in my bed. 

Something is familiar, but what.  Wait a minute, of course.  Overgrown cliffs, dark cave.  Maybe the entrance is actually hidden behind the overgrowth and weeds.  The beach is the one that my school went to a few years ago.  Everything looks familiar from that trip.  But could I be right or wrong. 

Should I tell my father and if so I wonder what he will actually say.  So I suppose that I should really go and find him and see what he has to say.  Walking through the house looking for him and I can see that he is sat around the kitchen table talking to someone.  They actually look like a general or someone important.  They both stop talking and look at me as I carefully sit down.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Four

The Search

‘Good Morning Brittany’ my father says.  ‘This is General Hunter’.

‘Pleased to meet you’ replies the general.

‘Did you sleep well’ asks Diamond.

‘Yes, but I was dreaming again and this time everything was a lot clearer’. 

Everyone sat and listened as I told them about my whole dream.   They sat and listened to every detail.  Details that they had not told anyone.  When I finally finished, they all just sat looking at me and they said nothing at first.

‘Wow, that’s certainly some dream’ says Diamond.

‘If my dream is right, between one and two pm a soldier will go missing.  By the end of the day, another person will also end up tied up in the cave.  But I have no idea who it is as I could not see.  All I noticed is that they were shorter and smaller than the other soldiers’.

‘For everyone’s sake I sincerely hope that you are wrong’ the general says.  ‘If you dream is actually true, and who knows nowadays, but it certainly does not sound good for our soldiers.  The sooner this mystery is solved the better for everyone concerned.  Daft question, but have you any idea as to who may be behind this’.

‘If I remember correctly I am sure that the soldiers are busy elsewhere on the island and should be no where around here today’ my father tells us.

‘Well Brittany, before I forget.  Today is the day I am going to see my sister, Ruby, and I wondered if you would like to tag along.  It’s actually been a while since I have seen her and I am sure you will both get on well’.

 

© 2013 Lady Lorraine Joanne Ward


Author's Note

Lady Lorraine Joanne Ward
I am Dyslexic and I wrote this. Tell me what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Please leave feedback as it helps

Posted 11 Years Ago


All comments welcome.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

59 Views
2 Reviews
Added on January 28, 2013
Last Updated on January 28, 2013

Author

Lady Lorraine Joanne Ward
Lady Lorraine Joanne Ward

Bridlington, East Yorkshire, United Kingdom



About
Single mum 41. Love writing childrens stories and other stories. I have a teenager who is 14 years old. I have various interests as well and we both live in Bridlington, East Yorkshire. more..

Writing