Women Of the Street

Women Of the Street

A Story by Michelle
"

I wrote this piece while I was under the influence of some substances. I was waiting for my bus and when I looked up there was a lady who looked as if times were rough for her. I just smiled. I know.

"
It always pains me to see homeless people, or people who are caught up in sex trafficking.

Seeing women walking around whether it be at Surrey Central, in Whalley or Down Town. Any time I see a women who looks rather frail, very pale skin and as if she had been fighting of death for far to long. Just slowly strolling down the street with her head looking down for butts or change, or anything that may be useful to them.

I very rarely see these women smile, and if the do it's almost as if they are somewhat smiling in shame, or regret as if the people who look at them are only judging them. Sometimes I wonder if these women ever wonder what the onlookers think, and why we look at these Ladies.

When I see these ladies, looking dope sick, and just wanting to find something to ease the awful feelings... I just want to get up look them in the eyes and tell them they are beautiful, to have a wonderful day and just give them a hug.

Often I cry, becoming so overwhelmed with to many emotions I make eye contact with some of these ladies who are in such pain and I just smile, I smile as if I'm saying I notice you, you are not alone and yes I know it sucks and your addiction and the people in your life are killing you, I know it seems easier to give up, but when I look at you , a lady I have never met, nor spoken to I see an amazing lady who struggled and needed something to help, when no one else did, and you are not a bad person those bad things you did was because you are sick, you have a disease you are an addict and that DOES NOT make you a bad person.

So to that lady, that young lady today at surrey central. So pale and fragile, probably has not eaten very much, and may not have somewhere warm to sleep every night. With your head hanging low scanning the pavement for butts and your eyes saying things you could never speak of.

I want to say I smiled at you because I know how it feels. To be high and low, wonder the streets aimlessly only simply because you to unstable in the mind to know what else to do. With no money, and no one to reach out to, this addiction has probably drained you of any strength you had left. I know how it feels I think there is no way out, most of the time I still feel like there is no way out. But I saw you today, saw you where trying to cage demons and escape by doing awful things. I saw the pain, it was clear. Yet the most amazing part of you I noticed, was that you are here, still alive with a heart beat. You may not be living the best life style but you are surviving.

If you think people don't notice you, don't worry about the one close to you because the may not even remember you are around...


It's the strangers,
The onlookers
Sadly but truthfully the Authority figures
And other addicts

Every day there are probably a few different people smiling at you and you have no idea.


I see these women and it is as if I am looking in a mirror. These women where once me, or I was once them, they are hurting.

We just want to feel something other then negativity.

I never want to see another women suffering, I would do anything in my power to help these amazing souls, and it starts with a simple smile filled with positive energy and understanding.

I will never judge a women for what she has done or what she does. But I will tell them they deserve much more and they are worthy of love and respect.

© 2014 Michelle


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Simply loved the way you have potrayed your feelings in your story, same time i want to congrat you for such a beautiful write. Your words provided your eyes to feel and sense while when you're viewing those ladies. Sorry about your life, just want to share something with you those people whom God give hard or insane lives, basically are his role model so they can spread message of hope and life. Wish you all the best. AA

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
1 Review
Added on February 2, 2014
Last Updated on February 2, 2014
Tags: Drugs, addiction, street worker, addict, homeless, women, respect

Author

Michelle
Michelle

Vancouver , British Columbia , Canada



About
Most of my life writing has been the one thing I've never given up hope in. I know that in good times and bad times writing will help me cope. I went through a deep depression for several years, strug.. more..