Remember, You are Only a Mortal

Remember, You are Only a Mortal

A Screenplay by Lou Evans
"

Zeus has been murdered. He's the first to die but he wont be the last.

"

Scene One

 

EXT. AN APPLE ORCHARD-DAY

 

There are red apple trees growing everywhere underneath the light blue sky without a cloud.  The sun shines on everything.  Most of the apples are growing and all of them are a deep red except for one lonely gold apple hanging onto a branch.

 

 

NIKI (V.O)

           My family has a reputation for causing chaos.

 

The wind starts to blow ferociously with leaves flinging everywhere while the apples try to cling to the branches as long as they can.

 

 

NIKI (V.O)

           It’s embarrassing.  Really. 

 

Suddenly, the golden apple is torn from the branch and it floats away on the wind.

 

 

CUT TO: INT. SOME EXPENSIVE NAME BRAND SHOE STORE-DAY

 

There is a huge sale going on, and crazy women of all ages rip through the store reaching out grabbing onto shoes from displays.  Every now and then, there’s a woman who tackles another over a set of shoes.  They are savage beasts fighting for shoes as if they were lions fighting over food .  On top of a counter stands, ERIS, she grins at the wild beasts below while she holds a gold apple in one hand with a camera in the other.  .

 

NIKI (V.O)

           That’s Eris.  Yeah.  Eris…(trails away)  Eris…Eris why

did we ever accept her into our family?

 

Eris stands there watching everybody while tossing the apple up and down in her hand all while taking pictures of the crazy mess.  It’s impossible for that smile to fade from her face.  Soon the women wrestle on the floor clawing and tearing each other’s hair out.

 

SCENE FREEZES.  FOCUS ON ERIS.

 

 

NIKI (V.O)

           I don’t know how we’re really related, but we just

           are.  I don’t like her.

 

SCENE CONTINUES.

 

Eris tosses the golden apple into the air and waits for it to come back down.  Instead of returning, the apple breaks through the ceiling sending pieces of plaster sprinkling down upon her.  Eris looks up and lets out an exasperated humph.  Gradually, the women stop fighting and look around the room.

 

 

     

CUT TO: INT. GYM-DAY

 

There’s a long line of treadmills and every one of them it taken.  Men and women fill the gym working out and sweating.  Behind the mess of treadmills is where all the weight equipment is located.  There’s two men, there’s the real tall and buff one, EMMETT who’s lifting weights while watching the other man who’s the same height but not as strong and that’s EVERETT.

 

 

NIKI (V.O)

           Originally, these guys weren’t twins but they are now.

           Weird, huh?  I’ll explain more about that later.  Maybe.  But

           the strong guy�"or should I say dude�"is Emmett.  In

           reality though, he’s Hercules.  Meanwhile, the other

           guy, the smaller one is Everett A.K.A. Perseus.  We

           sort of adopted them, too.  That is…my mom did.

 

 

Everett drops the weights and falls back gasping for breath while Emmett continues to lift the weights.  He looks around smiling.  A woman walks back grinning at him and he starts to show off while Everett is still trying to catch his breath.

 

SCENE FREEZES.  FOCUS ON EMMETT AND EVERETT.

 

 

NIKI (V.O)

           Yeah they don’t get along all that well.  It has to do with

the fact that both of them are the greatest heroes ever

to walk this earth.  So they argue.  Challenge each other. 

Blah.  Blah.  Blah.  Wannabe clash of the titans. Whatever. 

Men will always be boys.

 

SCENE CONTINUES. 

 

Emmett drops the weights and starts to walk towards the woman.  They pass the treadmills and walk into the main aisle near windows.  The golden apple shatters the window hitting him in the head, knocking him unconscious.  Everett laughs, before he grabs the apple and throws it out the window.

 

CUT TO: CLASSROOM-DAY

 

HELENA stands before a white board with her back to the class.  She grabs onto a marker and opens it before she taps it against the white board as if she’s lost in thought.  The whole class is silent, especially the boys who gawk as they stare at her.

 

 

NIKI (V.O)

           And that…um well that’s my mom.  Bet you were wondering

           who she was.  Such a nice woman adopting all sorts of kids

           even though she has her own precious son.  It’s a hard topic.

 

Helena smiles as she writes SEX in big letters across the board before turning around to face her students.  She just stares at her students waiting.  Outside a lawn mower cuts the grass by their window when suddenly, the golden apple tears through the window.  Glass shatters but everybody is clam, they’re too busy staring at Helena.  She puts her hand up and catches the golden apple.

 

 

SCENE FREEZES.  FOCUS ON HELENA.

 

 

NIKI (V.O)

          

NIKI (V.O)

           She tells everybody that her name is Helena Xylander.  But

           in reality, she is the one and only Aphrodite goddess of

           love who teaches health at the local high school while

           helping kids fall in love.

 

 

SCENE CONTIUES.

 

Quickly, Helena tosses the golden apple back where it came from before she turns around again to face the board, next to  the word SEX she writes sucks.  All of the kids are just gaping at her with their mouths wide open.

 

CUT TO: INT. BEDROOM (MANSION)-DAY

 

NIKI lies bed with the curtains pulled down and the lights are off.  He just lays there looking up at a ceiling.  Compared to everybody else, he’s just young and adorable.  A teenaged boy with messy midnight black hair and deep brown eyes.  The walls are a pristine white almost like the marble that once stood all over the ancient world.  Nothing hung on the walls.  It was just his bed, dresser, closet, window and a book shelf.  It’s extremely lonely and depressing..

 

 

NIKI (V.O)

           And that pitiful creature there is me.  Nikolaos Xylander.

           I go by Niki for short but in reality, like everybody else.

           I’m supposedly somebody special.  See, I’m Eros the god

           of lust, love, beauty and intercourse.  Or as a lot of people

           put it, I’m the god of erotic love.

 

CUT TO IMAGE: OF A CHERUB THAT IS SUPPOEDLY CUPID.

 

 

NIKI (V.O)

           Some reason, people think I’m a little baby in diapers.

           Ok?  It’s been like a million years now.  But anyhow…

 

 

CUT BACK TO: NIKI

 

Niki is still just lying in his bed.

 

 

NIKI (V.O, CON’T)

           There’s one problem with me.  I have a Social Anxiety

           Disorder, which means I’m  scared of socializing.  (pauses) 

Not really.  I can’t think of how to describe it.

 

 

Carefully, Niki sits up in his bed and makes his way toward the door to his room.  When he opens it, the gold rolls past him ynder his bed.  .

CUT TO: INT. MOTEL-NIGHT

 

ZEUS’S BODY lies sprawled on the ground by the feet of a lopsided bed.  His eyes are wide open with shock along with his jaw.   Nothing around him moves at first, it’s just his body lying their in a puddle of blood that stains the floor.  Not even a cockroach scurries by.  The only sound is the murmur of a TV set.  It’s some obnoxious cartoon show. 

 

NIKI (V.O)

           My family has a reputation for causing chaos. 

 

The gold apple rolls toward Zeus before it hits him.  Engraved into the gold apple is: Memento Mori.

 

FADE OUT

 

End Scene

 

© 2010 Lou Evans


Author's Note

Lou Evans
ignore format issues, ignore grammar problems

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting concept, Greek Gods and Goddesses hiding out as mere mortals. The Super Hero alter ego. It shows the mess that the "Ruling Family" of Olympus is still as dysfunctional as ever with a modern twist: Eros has S.A.D..

P.S. I fixed (I hope) the problem on my screenplay.

Posted 12 Years Ago


wow amazing screenplay i enjoyed this well done excellent

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

437 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2010
Last Updated on February 5, 2010

Author

Lou Evans
Lou Evans

Vulcan, DC



About
I love Star Trek. I love screenwriting but for some reason, I really want to write a kid's story. Like those great old chapter books. I read sci-fi and Jane Austen. (I'm not huge on fantasy) .. more..

Writing
Preface Preface

A Chapter by Lou Evans