Letting Go

Letting Go

A Story by Anya
"

It is about a girl named Carmela Mason who is dealing with the murder of her mother and an abusive father who has turned to alcohol to ease the pain from losing his wife. Carmela thought that her life had nothing else to lose, so she just dealed with her

"

Prologue

    The eyes looked at Carmela Mason. Intently. Carmela’s heart started to pound loudly in her chest.
    “I’m leaving.” the soft velvety voice said. Her heart dropped.
    “But I-I don’t understand.” Carmela’s voice was shaking. He looked down at the ground.
    “I’m not good for you Carmela. I can’t see this happen to you. I will not be coming back. You wouldn’t remember me. I promise.”
    It seemed like her heart dropped further from her chest down to the pit of her stomach. Her eyes started to fill with tears. The one true love that made her life better was leaving her. Her life had been shattered before she had met him and now, she was back where she started. Her life shattered. The path set by her true love broken and the path she was going on destroyed. Nothing seemed real to Carmela. Everything was blurry. Her world spinning out of control. The cold wind suddenly hit her as he turned around and she collapsed on the cold ground. He didn’t look back. Everything she knew was gone. All the life essence she had gotten suddenly dropped out of her. Nothing seemed real. Carmela curled up in a ball, not knowing what to do. The clouds hovering. Thunder sounded in the distance as Carmela just laid on the ground. Her mind spinning.

Chapter 1

    Carmela Mason got into her car and drove to the local community college. She had just started classes there and she was excited however nervous. No one knew about what had happened a few months ago. It had been about five months since Carmela had gone to school. Five months ago, something horrifying happened to her family. Her life was shattered because of it and she didn’t know how to deal with it. When it happened, she decided to take some time off. However ever since it happened, her father Hector had changed. He started drinking. Heavily. Hector got fired from his job and now he just sits on the couch drinking and watching T.V. Carmela hated to see her father like this, but she didn’t know how to handle it. She was to afraid to talk to him. Afraid that if she talked to him about how she was worried about him, he would beat her harder then he already did. Ever since it happened, her father had been taking it out on her. Carmela had to deal with it every night. Hector calling her names while he did it and saying it was her fault. Her fault for everything and that he wished she had never been born. The only person who knew what had happened five months ago was Carmela’s best friend Myra Bynes. But that was only because Myra Bynes was there when Carmela got the phone call.
    Five months ago, Carmela was hanging out at the mall with Myra. They were having a good time when Carmela’s cell phone rang. It was her dad. There was a long pause when Carmela answered the phone.
    “Dad, what’s wrong?” Carmela asked, her voice shaking.
    “It’s your mother. She-she was killed.” Hector said. Carmela was in such shock that her cell phone dropped and hit the pavement. Then her knees gave way and she fell. Myra tried to catch her, but it was so sudden, that Myra fell with her. Carmela had then hugged her knees rocking back and forth. Tears streaming down her face.  Myra knew that something had happened and Carmela told her through her voice shaking about what happened. That her mother was killed. Every since that day, Carmela’s life changed. Her father’s only comfort was a beer bottle. Nothing else. That’s when everyday Carmela had to endure the pain that her father put her through. The beatings. Her father was smart enough to beat her in places were no one would see and even though Carmela was suffering, she couldn’t bring herself to turn her father in. She loved him and he was the only family she had left. Carmela felt like over time, Hector would see that what he was doing is not right and stop. In the pit of her stomach however, Carmela felt like he wouldn’t stop and that she could tell someone about what was going on, but she just couldn’t bring herself to do it. Of course ever since it had happened, Carmela had stopped bringing friends over so they wouldn’t find out about the abuse. She would always give Myra an excuse on why they couldn’t hang out at her house. They always hung out at Myra’s house. Everyone at the college just thought that she went out of town for a while and Carmela wanted everyone to keep thinking that. Carmela stepped out of the car and looked around. There were a bunch of clouds in the sky and it looked like it was going to rain. As though knowing that Carmela was keeping a secret and saying that she needed to tell someone. Carmela walked to the front desk.
    “Hello.” she said. The lady looked up.
    “Oh hello. What can I do for you?” she looked bored.
    “Yes, I was away for five months and I’m here to see my schedule.”
    “May I get your name?”
    “Carmela Mason.”
    The lady typed on her computer and then printed out a piece of paper and handed it to Carmela.
    “Have a good day.” she smiled.
    “Thanks.” Carmela smiled back.
    The lady nodded and Carmela left. She looked at her classes. English 120 with Professor Mike White at 9 am. Then she had an hour break before her next class. Sociology 101 with Professor Niki Goldberg at 11. Then lunch and then one more class. Psychology 101 and then she was done. Carmela went to her first class and sat in the back. She put her head down on the desk and just stayed there while everyone else was coming in. Carmela missed her mom so much. Missed everything about her. The smile that brought light into everyone’s eyes. The eyes that sparkled even when there was bad news. Carmela could feel tears coming down her face as she thought about her mom. She didn’t understand why someone would kill a person who was so much alive. So lively and so full of life and love. How could someone take that away from a person like that? She didn’t understand it. Carmela needed her mom to be right by her side. Her mom supported her in whatever she wanted to do and now that she was gone, Carmela was so lost about what to do with her life, she had given up. The life that Carmela once was, was slowly draining from her. To Carmela she didn’t understand what the point of living was now that her mother was gone and now that her father abused her yelling and screaming at her. Wishing that Carmela was never born because she reminded him too much of his wife. Calling her names. She had given up trying to fight him. The beer consumed him so much that she didn’t even recognize him. Every day she could come home, he was passed out from the beer. The bottle still in his hand. When he would wake up, he could go into a rage. He roared. His eyes filled with hatred. Carmela understood that Hector could go into a bad rage and finally kill her, but to her that was alright. Her life seemed meaningless. Nothing mattered to her. Her mother, her best friend, her family was gone. The family she knew was gone. The happy family they were once had disappeared. At first Hector did not know how to handle it. But it didn’t involve a beer bottle. Then suddenly one day when Carmela got home from running errands, she saw her father passed out on the floor. Beer bottles everywhere. At first she thought it was just going to be this one time thing, but it got worse. That’s when Carmela realized that her father changed. For the worse and there was nothing she could do about it. He was a lot bigger then she was and could crush her if he got upset with her. That’s when Carmela decided to give up. She decided that she didn’t care if her father abused her. Her life was empty. Her heart was broken and empty. However, she didn’t know that, that was about to change.

Chapter 2

    Carmela looked up even though her cheeks were streaked with tears. Right when she looked up, a guy passed her. He was about 6 feet fall with black hair. His face was gentle and his eyes were sparkling. As he walked pasted her, he looked at her and his face became serious. A worry look came over him. Carmela’s heart pounded loudly in her chest. She could feel the blood pulsing in her veins as he walked past her. He was different. Yet she couldn’t put her fingers on what made him different. Carmela got up and went to the nearest bathroom. She must look like s**t since she had cried while her head was down. She looked in the mirror and then looked around her to make sure no one was in the bathroom. Then she lifted her shirt up and traced the bruises on her ribs with her forefinger. She gasped as she realized how sensitive her skin was. The door knob to the bathroom started to open and she quickly put her shirt down and acted like she was fixing her hair. The door opened and Carmela saw it was someone she didn’t know. She smiled and left and went back to her room. As Carmela entered the room, she saw the guy staring at her. He was sitting in the back corner. The shadow of the tree blocking the expression of his face. Carmela sat down and she could feel his eyes on her. The hair on the back of her neck stood up. Her heart still beating faster then normal and the blood rushing through her veins. The teacher came in and Carmela tried to concentrate on what he was saying, but the feeling that the mysterious guy was staring at her was throwing her off her focus. She shook her long brown hair and try and shake the feeling, but it was no good. Finally Carmela got the courage to look behind her and saw that he was looking at her with intensely. His eyes as black as the night. It reminded her of her father. However even though his eyes were as black as the night, they seemed gentle. Carmela bit her bottom lip and then turned to face the front. She was so intrigued by him. She wanted to know more about him. Carmela didn’t understand what she was feeling. The feelings were so strange she didn’t know how to handle them. Her heart pounded so loudly, she thought that everyone would be able to hear it. As she was trying to focus, she could hear the beat of another heart. This was strange. The heart was beating twice as loudly as hers. She looked around trying to figure out whose heart it was, however she couldn’t. The bell finally rang and Carmela was getting her stuff together and trying to not pay attention to the mystery man as he walked by her. Nonetheless as he walked by, she dropped a bunch of her things and was about to bend down to pick them up, but a hand handed them to her. It was the mystery man. Carmela’s face went red. She could feel her cheeks getting hot.
    “Thanks.” she mumbled as he handed her the notebooks.
    “You are welcome.” his voice was soft. When he spoke, it reminded her of a musical. His voice was soft and velvety. “I’m Austin Spencer.”
    “Carmela Mason.”
    Carmela shook his hand. There was a spark of electricity between the two of them. It took Carmela by surprise, she let go quickly.
    “It’s nice to meet you Carmela.” Austin said. The way he talked also reminded her of the 1900s.
    “Nice to meet you too.” Carmela said. Austin turned around and left. Carmela looked down at her hand. The feeling of his soft hand was still tingling. Her heart was beating faster but it was slowing down back to its normal rate. She sighed and left. Myra was waiting for her at the table.
    “Hi.” Myra said.
    “Hey.” Carmela said sitting down.
    “How you doing?” Myra asked carefully. She knew that Carmela could break down at any moment, so she was careful about asking certain questions around Carmela.
    “I’ve been better.” Carmela said. She had a feeling someone was staring at her. She turned around and saw Austin watching her carefully. Carmela turned to Myra. “I’ve been thinking that maybe coming back to school was a mistake. I don’t think I’m ready for it.”
    Myra looked at her friend.
    “I think you are. You just need to believe in yourself. You have been gone for 5 months. Give yourself a break.” Myra said. Carmela nodded. Myra looked at her watch. “I have to go. You want to hang out after?”
    “Um, I don’t know. I’ll let you know.” Carmela said.
    “Okay. Let me know.” Myra said, getting up. She hugged Carmela quickly and left. Carmela sighed and just sank into the chair, wanting to disappear. She then dug into her bag and got her Ipod out. As she was starting to press play, a shadow made her look up. Austin was standing over her. Her heart started to pound loudly in her chest again.
    “Hi.” Austin smiled.
    “Hi.” Carmela said, nervously.
    “I just wanted to make sure everything was okay.” Austin said. Carmela didn’t say anything. “You were crying this morning.”
    It wasn’t a question. Again Carmela didn’t say anything. The way that Austin was just standing there was causing her to have a panic attack. But a silent one so he wouldn’t know.
    “Yes I was.” she finally said. She felt like she needed to be honest with him.
    Austin just looked at her. His eyes piercing through her. He didn’t say anything for a minute.
    “Is it something you want to talk about?”
    “Um, not really. I mean I don’t really want anyone to know about it.” Carmela said. Austin nodded. Then out of the blue, he took her hand and made her stand up.
    “Then let’s go talk someplace private.” he said softly. Her breathing became ragged as he pulled her closer to him. Austin led her outside and then to a small little area with a bunch of trees where there was a bench in the middle. He sat down and Carmela sat down next to him. He then turned to her and looked at her. His face soft and his eyes gentle. Carmela looked down at the ground, playing with her fingers.
    “I don’t think I can.” she muttered. He lifted her chin with his forefinger making her look at him.
    “I am not going to tell anyone.” he said. Carmela sighed and looked down at the ground. Austin took her hand in his and just sat there perfectly still.
    “About five months ago, I was with my friend Myra. We were at the mall having a good time. My cell phone rings and I see it’s my dad. I answer it and at first he didn’t say anything. Didn’t say anything for about a minute.” Carmela started twirling her thumbs. “Then after I kept saying ‘Dad’ he finally told me what happened.” Carmela’s eyes started to fill with tears again. “After that, he told me that my mom got murdered.”
    Carmela looked up at the sky trying not to cry. Austin looked at her with sorrow.
    “Do they know who did it?”
    “No.” Carmela said. “That’s why I was away for 5 months. I was trying to deal with it. Of course I haven’t. My mom was my best friend. So full of life. She taught me how to live my life. But now that she’s gone, I feel like I have nothing to live for.”
    “What about your father?” Austin wanted to know.
    Carmela didn’t say anything. She looked down at the ground again. She wasn’t going to tell Austin about how her father was a drunk and abused her. Carmela didn’t even know this guy and she had already told him about her mother when she vowed that she wouldn’t tell anything. As she looked at Austin, she realized how beautiful he was. His face was flawless. His lips were perfect. Full and luscious. There was something about him that made Carmela want to tell him what was going on at home, but she couldn’t.
    “I have too live for my father.” Carmela muttered. “I know I do, but its just hard right now.”
    Austin nodded. Carmela then finally looked up at him.
    “Please, don’t tell anyone.” Carmela said.
    “I will not.” Austin said. “Your secret is safe with me.”
    “Thank you.” Carmela said. He smiled and the two of them got up. Carmela sighed and started walked over to her car. She needed to get away for a while. As she was getting ready to leave, Austin came up behind her. He turned her around and leaned against her body. She was against her car and as he leaned into her body, she could feel his heart beating. It was loud. He leaned in closer and she took a whiff of the way he smelled. It was sweet. Her mind started spinning as he leaned in closer.
    “You are not alone.” he whispered in her ear.

Chapter 3

    Then he let Carmela go and disappeared. Carmela grabbed her heart and had to hold on to her car so she wouldn’t collapse on the ground. She could still feel his body pressed up against hers and the way he had told her that she was not alone. She thought long and hard about what he was talking about. Carmela couldn’t figure it out. Finally her heart slowed down and she was able to open the car door. She got inside and started it. Before she drove off, she put her head down on the wheel breathing heavily. The thought of Austin pressed up against her made her flustered. She took in a deep breath and then drove away. To her favorite place. The one that her mother took her too when she was a little girl. A wharf. Carmela parked her car and then got out. There was a long boardwalk that led to the end of the beach and close to the water. She walked along it and stood at the edge of the wharf. This was her place of peace. The place she went to get away from it all. She and her mother came here all the time just to stare out at the open ocean hoping to see a whale or dolphin. Carmela sat down at the edge of the wharf and just looked at the ocean. Boats passing by along with some seagulls. The sound of the ocean calmed her down when things got rough. She didn’t understand why, but it just did. The wind softly blowing her hair as she just sat there. Carmela just sat there in silence. As she sat there, she looked up at the sky wondering what her mother would think of the way her husband was treating her. Carmela knew that her mother would tell her to tell someone, but she couldn’t do it. She just couldn’t. Hector was the only family he had left and she was not about to let it go. After the murder of her mother, Carmela’s grandparents lost touch. It was like they didn’t care about her anymore. Even though when her mother was alive, they seemed to love her. Gave her presents all the time. Carmela was confused about it. Her feet were dangling almost touching the water. The sun was shining making the water sparkle. Everything Carmela was worried about melted away. That’s why she loved it here. It made her forget about everything. There were a few clouds in the sky, but Carmela wasn’t worried about them. She was at peace, but she knew that had to end soon. She had to go back home to the torture of her father. The beatings she took every night got worse and worse, but she was too weak to do anything about it. The energy that her mother had given when she was alive made Carmela strong for her mother believed in her and now that was gone, Carmela felt weak. It took a lot of energy for her to actually hold herself up and be able to function. Yet Carmela was able to do it. She didn’t know how she was doing it. After about half and hour of just looking at the beautiful ocean, Carmela decided it was time to go home. Her heart started to pound faster as she thought of home. Her father was probably passed out on the couch or still drinking. She thought it was better when he was passed out because then, she didn’t have to worry about being hit. Carmela got into her car and drove home and sure enough, when she went inside, she found Hector passed out on the couch. A beer bottle in his hand. She sighed and just stood there for a minute wondering what her mother would be thinking if she saw him like this. She knew that her mother would give Hector a big a*s whipping for drinking and a long conversation. Carmela went up to her room and made sure it was locked. As she was looking around, she remembered she forgot her books and notebooks at school.
    “S**t.” she muttered. She really didn’t want to leave the house, but she needed all her stuff for homework. Carmela left the house again and drove to the school. As soon as she got out, Austin was standing next to her.
    “How the hell did you do that?” Carmela asked, as the two of them walked inside.
    “I was next to you.” Austin simply answered. Carmela was too tired to argue. She just wanted to get her things and go back home before her dad woke up. The fact that Austin was walking next to her was no big help. She didn’t understand how someone so beautiful would want to be around her. For Carmela, she did not find herself attractive. She was lean with long brown hair. Her eyes were sparkling green and her lips were small but fit perfectly on her face. Carmela didn’t have a lot of muscle, but she was healthy.
    “I don’t believe you were right next to me, but I’m to tired to argue with you.” Carmela said. Austin followed her to the table. He didn’t say anything while Carmela grabbed her things and turned to face him. “I’m going to go.”
    “Okay.” Austin said. “Can I see you again?”
    Carmela looked at him. “What?” she was confused.
    “I want to see you again. Even though I shouldn’t. I should stay away from you, but I can’t.” Austin said.
    “Um, well we will see each other again. We have some classes together.” Carmela said.
    Austin grinned at her causing her heart to melt.
    “That’s not what I was asking.” he said softly.
    “Oh.” Carmela felt stupid.
    “I want to go on a date with you.” Austin said. Her heart started to pound loudly in her chest. “You really should stay away form me.”
    “Excuse me?” Carmela was shocked. “You are the way that asked me out.”
    “Yes, but you should say no.” Austin said. Carmela rolled her eyes and started walking back to her car. Austin just followed with ease. 
    “What do you want from me? I never said yes.” Carmela said stopping and turning to face him.
    “But you should.” Austin leaned in.
    “You are so confusing.” Carmela said. Austin just shrugged.
    “I try.” he said, smiling crookedly. “So what do you say?”
    Carmela bit her lip.
    “I don’t know.” she said. “I think it’s best that we end this now.”
    Austin just looked at her with those eyes. It was like he was piercing her soul trying to figure out what was going on. But Carmela just stared back.
    “I’m not going to give up.” he whispered looking at the ground. He leaned in closer pressing his body against Carmela’s again. Carmela lost herself in his body. She leaned her neck back and Austin moved his head toward her neck. Carmela could feel the blood rushing through her veins as he leaned in closer. He touched her neck with his lips. They were soft and cold. Electricity pulsing through her as his cold forefinger wrapped around the back of her neck. As Carmela closed her eyes, she could hear the blood rushing in his veins. The smell of his blood was sweet. It caused her heart to beat even faster. She didn’t understand what was going on with her. The way blood drove her crazy was making her scared. The way Austin was driving her crazy made it worse. The fact that Austin leaned into her body made her lose herself. All her troubles left her. All her worries about going home. Austin moved his lips from her neck up to her lips. The feeling his lips brought to her as he moved them from her neck made her giggle. She couldn’t help herself. Finally she was able to push him away. His eye color had changed. They were now a golden color. Austin turned away quickly and Carmela’s eyes widen. Her heart beat even faster.
    “Austin.” she grabbed his shoulder and tried to turn him to face her, but he was to strong. Carmela looked at Austin’s back and then got into her car. She started it and drove away. Austin turned around and watched Carmela’s car drive away. He couldn’t believe what had happened. The feeling that Carmela gave him was strange. It was so strong that he could feel the blood rushing through her veins. The pull of her heart when he had leaned against her. That was a mistake. It was a mistake to even be around her. Carmela drove home and while she was driving, all she could do was think about the way the Austin’s eyes went from being normal brown to golden. Finally she arrived at home and went inside. Hector was still passed out with a beer bottle in his hand. Carmela went to her room and got onto her computer. She needed to know what Austin was. Carmela felt like he was not human. The way his eyes changed colors. That could not be human. As Carmela turned her computer on, she could still feel his cold lips on her neck. As she thought about it, the blood drove her crazy. She needed to know why that was. Carmela didn’t understand what was happening to her. She was drawn to Austin and she had a feeling that he was drawn to her even though he told her to stay away. It seemed like he couldn’t no matter how hard he tried and now because of the fact that they got so close already, he might have revealed a secret about himself.

Chapter 4

    Carmela went on her favorite site and typed in “vampire.” It took about 30 seconds for the page to come up and there were a lot of sites. She muttered to herself. Then she saw a promising site. Carmela clicked on it.
    “For centuries this vampire has been feared by all vampires. It is on the side of good. However it is not like the others. It is half vampire half shape shifter. The evil vampires fear it for it is the most powerful being that was ever created. It is said that they protect mortals from peril. Also it is said that they look like they are normal humans since they are shape shifters they are able to make themselves look normal instead of having pale skin. However when they are craving something, they’re eyes turn a different color. A golden color.”  As Carmela read on, her heart started to beat faster as she realized what Austin was. However that’s when she realized that it didn’t matter what he was. When she was around him, she felt so safe and everything melted away. All her worries melted and that kind of worried her for then when she comes home after spending some time with him, then she forgot how Hector beats her and that he drinks. Carmela turned the computer off and then got onto her bed. She just sat there wondering. Her eyes slowly closed as she realized how exhausted she really was. Carmela didn’t dream of anything this night. She was too exhausted for her mind to focus on anything.

    The next morning, Carmela woke up. She was still in the clothes from the night before. Carmela then got up and changed her clothes. Hector was awake and was of course drinking.
    “CARMELA.” he yelled. Carmela slowly walked into the living room with dread. He looked at her with hatred in his eyes. “Where the f**k are you going?”
    “To school.” Carmela said softly. His eyes glazed over. Hector moved up clumsily and moved toward her. Carmela backed up until she couldn’t anymore. He raised his hand and slapped her across the face. Pain shot through Carmela as Hector picked her up and then threw her across the living room causing her to hit the table. It broke. Carmela slowly got up and ran out of the house. She got into her car and drove to school. Her whole body hurt. Finally after driving for about five minutes, she arrived at the school and just sat in her car for a few more minutes. Then she looked up and saw Austin  was standing by his Chevy Camaro staring at her his eyes filled with concern. His eyes golden like the day before. Carmela looked away and sighed. She fixed her hair and made sure that nothing was on her. Next she got out and she could feel her legs shaking. Myra had parked right next to her and noticed that Carmela was going slowly as they walked together.
    “Is everything okay?” Myra asked concern in her voice.
    “Of course. I just fell.” Carmela lied. She walked past Austin who was still staring at her. His eyes still filled with concern and they were suddenly black. Black as the night. Carmela looked at him and then down at the ground. She bit her lip and then went inside.
    “Are you sure your okay?” Myra was really worried. Carmela wanted to tell her, but she couldn’t bring herself to do it. It killed her not being able to tell Myra what was going on.
    “Yeah. I’m just a little hurt from the fall.” Carmela said. “Excuse me.” She went to the bathroom and then looked in the mirror. There was a mark on her cheek and then she went into a stall and lifted her shirt up. There was a piece of wood that was caught in her skin. “S**t.” she muttered. She tried to pull it out, but it was in really deep. When she tried to pull it out, she screamed. It was so painful. She had to put her hand against the stall door so she could pass out. Carmela tried to compose herself, but it was hard when she knew that there was something sticking out of her side. Carmela felt sweat come down her forehead and she wiped it away. She took a deep breath and then left the bathroom. Carmela could feel Austin staring at her. She turned around and saw that he was following her.
    “What do you want?” Carmela asked. He grabbed her wrist and dragged her to a private spot where no one comes. Then Austin pushed his body up against hers and as he did, Carmela cried out in pain. He pulled back and looked at her. His eyes sparkling with concern and worry.
    “What happened?” he asked in a serious voice. Carmela looked at him.
    “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” she said. Austin leaned in again and then reached in her shirt, his cold hands causing her heart to throb. He touched the piece of wood that was still stuck in her. Austin pulled it out with great ease and then handed it to Carmela. It was covered with blood. Austin’s eyes changed color and he turned around and took a deep breath. Carmela smelled her own blood and her heart pounded even more loudly. Austin recovered and then turned to face Carmela. “I fell.” she said.
    “That’s bullshit.” he said. Carmela didn’t say anything. She looked down at the piece of wood.
    “It’s not. I fell. I’m clumsy like that.” she said firmly. He moved closer to her so Carmela could smell the sweet scent of him.
    “I don’t believe you.” he whispered in her ear. “If someone is hurting you, I will find out.”
    Her heart quickened as he leaned away from her.
    “Why can’t you let this go?” Carmela asked. He sat down on the bench and looked at her, his eyes golden.
    “I don’t know. But I feel like I have to protect you.” Austin told her. Carmela lifted her shirt up to where there was blood dripping a little, Austin’s eyes became more intense. He was looking at her side with hunger. Then Carmela put her shirt down.
    “What are you?” she wanted to know. He looked at her taken aback.
    “What do you mean?” he asked, his voice soft.
    “Normal people don’t do that.” Carmela told him. “Look at blood like that.”     Austin didn’t say anything. “What makes you think I look at blood a certain way?”
    “Your eyes give you away.” Carmela said.
    “Normal people stay away from us.” Austin muttered.
    “Why is that?”
    “Because to them we don’t look like them.”
    “You look too beautiful.” Carmela clarified. Austin looked at her.
    “You think so?” Austin asked.
    “I know so.” Carmela said. “I also believe I know what you and your family are.”

Chapter 5

    Austin looked shocked. However, he controlled his face.
    “I don’t know what you mean.” he tried to pretend.
    “Of course you do.” Carmela’s eyes pierced him. “Just tell me the truth.”
    Austin looked at her.
    “Why do you want to know?” he asked, his voice soft.
    “Just the truth. Are you a vampire/shape shifter?” Carmela for some strange reason was not afraid of the fact that he might not be human. The fact that he had started to pay attention to her was good enough for her. Austin looked down at the ground, then back at Carmela, his face serious. He bit his bottom lip.
    “Yes.” he said. Carmela’s heart pounded loudly in her chest.
    “Are your whole family the same way?” Carmela asked. She had seen Austin with five other people. All too gorgeous to be human.
    “Only 3 of them are blood related.” Austin told her. “But the two of them are not shape shifters. They are just vampires.”
    “What are their names?” Carmela wanted to know. Austin took her hand and helped her up.
    “Come on. I’ll introduce you to them.”
    “What?” Carmela’s voice shook. Austin turned to face her.
    “Oh now you’re scared?” he sounded amused. “You will be fine. Just don’t tell them you know yet. I’m still trying to figure you out.”
    “Am I easy to figure out?”
    “No, or otherwise I would have figured you out by now.” Austin said.
    “Right.” Carmela chuckled. Austin led Carmela back inside and to the table where the five perfect people were sitting.
    “Hello.” Austin said quickly. A girl with long blond hair and a perfect face looked up. Her skin was not as pale as the other four.
    “Austin, what are you doing?” she asked, her voice reminded Carmela of a flowing river.
    “I want to introduce you to Carmela Mason.” he said. The girl with long blond hair got up and stuck out her hand.
    “I’m Serena Spencer.” she said. When Carmela shook her hand, it was ice cold.
    “Carmela.” she said. She turned to another girl, this one with long brown hair and hazel eyes. There were hints of golden highlights in the brown hair. Her face was perfectly shaped and she had a small nose ring on her left nostril. 
    “I’m Kali.” she said. Her voice reminded Carmela of a musical. Soft and sweet. Then Carmela turned to face another guy. He was not as pale as the other three, but still pale enough. He had longish blond hair with sparkling blue eyes. His lips were small but they were perfect for the way his face was shaped. He had a hint of a grin on the corner of his mouth.
    “This is Trent.” Austin had his hand on Carmela’s lower back.
    “Hi.” his voice was hard and serious. He looked like he was upset. Austin pointed to another guy. He had short brown hair with hazel eyes. His lips were full and he had that rugged guy look to him. As Carmela looked at him, she saw that he had a perfect body. They all did. But the way the coat was on him, made him look twice as big as everyone else and a lot meaner.
    “This is Gabe.”
    Gabe just nodded his head toward Carmela and then Carmela faced the last of them. This one did not have a lot of hair on his head and his eyes were greenish blue.
    “I’m Dylan.” he said before Austin could say anything. Carmela could feel her face going red. She was not use to being around such gorgeous guys and girls. It kind of bothered her now that she looked at them more closely. They were too perfect. It made other girls look twice at themselves and she was getting that feeling.
    “It was nice to meet you guys.” she said. Austin looked over at her and saw the way she was looking.
    “I’ll see ya guys later.” Austin told his family. They all nodded and Austin and Carmela left to go back to the private spot. He sat her down.
    “So which ones are just the vampires?” Carmela asked.
    “Trent and Serena.” Austin told her, running his forefinger on her skin causing her to get goose bumps.
    “Do you know how you became on?” Carmela was really curious now.
    Austin just looked at her. His eyes changed from his normal color to the golden color.
    “I’m not sure.” he said, looking down. “I don’t remember anything that had happened before I became one.” he told her. Carmela nodded and didn’t ask anymore questions. The touch of Austin’s forefinger still lingering on her skin. He looked at her with concern. “Now I have a question.”
    Carmela sighed. She had a feeling she knew where this was going.
    “Okay. Go ahead.” she said dreading the question.
    “What really happened to your side.” Austin asked. His face and voice serious.
    “Nothing. I fell. That’s what I do.” Carmela told him. Austin just looked at her as though knowing the truth already. However, Carmela was not going to tell him. Not yet.
    “Why can’t you tell me the truth? I told you the truth.” Austin said. Carmela bit her lip.
    “I can’t.” she said, tears coming down. “I just can’t.”
    “You can, you are just afraid.” Austin said more softly.
    “Yes I am.” Carmela nodded in agreement. Austin just looked at her studying her face.
    “Why?” he asked leaning in closer.
    “I’m not sure.” Carmela gasped as the smell of him overwhelmed her. Austin sat back up so he was leaning against the back. Carmela pouted her lips and just looked at him. “I should go.” she said. Austin nodded and didn’t stop her. He was worried about her and what was going on. He wasn’t sure why she wouldn’t tell him what was going on. Austin was even confused that she didn’t run away screaming when she found out what he and his family was. He realized that she was not like a normal person. Austin watched her walk away and he sighed. His sister Kali saw him and walked over to him and sat down next to him.
    “What are you thinking?” she asked.
    “I don’t know. Carmela is keeping something from me and its killing me.” he said softly.
    “Austin.” Kali said. He looked at her. “Does she know?”
    “Yes. She knows.”
    “Austin.” Kali groaned.
    “It’s not like I told her. She found out on her own.” he said.
    “And she didn’t run?” 
    “No.” Austin said. “It’s weird.”
    Kali nodded. “Just be careful okay? I don’t want to see you hurt.”
    Austin laughed a little.
    “I don’t think I will. I’m more worried about her.” Austin said.

Chapter 6

    Carmela got into her car and put her head on the steering wheel. The way that Austin made her feel was strange. The way she could smell his blood worried her. She did not know of anyone who could smell blood when there was no bleeding. Carmela sighed and started the car. As she drove away, the Spencer family was around a silver car and as she drove away, she could feel them watching her. She sighed and drove home. As she parked her car, Carmela looked at her house. For some reason she did not want to go inside. She knew her father would be upset with the broken table. She knew that she was going to take a big hit out of it and she did not want to go inside. But she needed too or her father would abuse her even harder if she didn’t arrive home when he was use to her arriving. Carmela got her bags out of the car and opened the front door. Luckily her father was passed out on the couch. She walked pasted him quietly and went to her room. Luckily Carmela had a lock on her door, but she knew that wouldn’t keep Hector away if he was really mad at her. She sat down on her bed and ran her fingers through her hair. Carmela didn’t understand what was happening to her. For some reason she felt strange. Like she was changing into something else. However she didn’t know what. Carmela got up and went to look at herself in the mirror. That’s when she gasped. Her eyes had changed colors. To the same color Austin’s eyes were. She touched her cheek and felt it was cold. As she kept looking into the mirror, her eyes changed from golden to a deep blue. Carmela closed her eyes tightly to make sure she wasn’t dreaming, then she opened them. They were still a deep blue with hints of gold.
    “S**t.” she muttered. She punched the mirror causing it to break. As she pulled back from the mirror, she looked down at her hands were there were cuts. As she looked at them, she thought she was going to have to go into the bathroom and wrap them, but then the glass started to fall out of her knuckles and healed as though nothing happened. Carmela looked at the shattered mirror. That’s when she realized that she had to go talk to Austin. Something was happening to her and she needed to know what. She opened her door quietly and then went downstairs. Hector was snoring loudly so he wouldn’t be able to hear her leaving the house again. Carmela started the car and drove back to the school. She noticed that there was one car left in the parking lot and she assumed it was Austin’s since he was standing near it. When he saw Carmela’s car, he smiled. Carmela got out of her car and looked at him. They just stood there staring at each other. Finally Austin started moving toward her. Carmela’s heart started to race. The way he walked. With such grace and pose. Carmela was kind of confused on why he was still there after school was closed.
    “Hi.” he said softly looking down at her. Since he was a lot taller then she was, he had too look down.
    “Hi.” she whispered. Austin could tell something was wrong with the way her eyes looked and the sound of her voice.
    “What’s wrong?” he wanted to know. He was suddenly worried.
    “I think that something is happening to me.” Carmela explained.
    “What do you mean?” Austin was confused.
    Carmela just looked at him. “I’m not even sure how to explain this.”
    “Take your time.” Austin took her hand in his. Sparks flew. They walked over to the curb and sat down.
    “Something happened to me about five minutes ago.” Carmela began. “I punched my mirror.”
    “Why?”
    “I just did.” Carmela said. “Okay its because my eyes were changing colors. I thought that if I punched the mirror, it would stop. It didn’t.” 
    Austin looked down at her hands and didn’t see a mark on her.
    “What are you saying?” he asked. Carmela raised her right hand. The hand that she had smashed into the mirror and showed it to him.
    “This is the hand I punched the mirror with. I did have glass in it and I did have wounds, but-” Carmela didn’t finish.
    “What?”
    “But they healed.” Carmela finally finished.
    “I don’t understand.” Austin was confused. Carmela looked around for something sharp. Something she could cut herself with and show Austin what she meant. Finally she found something sharp and cut herself quickly. As soon as the blood started to flow out of her veins, Austin’s eye color changed to pitch black. However, Carmela’s cut healed in a matter of seconds and Austin’s eye color changed back. He shook his head and then looked at Carmela shocked.

Chapter 7

    “But how?” Austin asked. Carmela looked at him.
    “I was hoping you could tell me.” she said. “I have no idea what’s going on with me Austin. I’m so scared.” Carmela could feel tears coming down. He moved closer to her and wrapped his cold arms around her, rocking her back and forth.
    “Everything will be okay. I promise.” he whispered in her ear. He then looked at her. “We need to go talk to my mom and dad.”
    Carmela gasped.
    “What?” she asked.
    “My dad Edward and my mother Cora can help. I think they’ll understand what’s happening to you.” Austin said.
    “Do you really think so?” Carmela was worried. Austin just looked at her.
    “Trust me.” he said.
    “Fine.” Carmela nodded.
    “Follow me with your car.” Austin said. He walked over to his car.
    “I love your car by the way.” Carmela said. Austin smiled.
    “Thank you.” he said, getting in. He started the car and pulled out of the school with Carmela following. They drove for about twenty minutes before arriving to the house. It was a big house too many windows to count. It was a whitish color and it was right on the water. The way they had to get to it was through a dirt road. As they were driving through, Carmela was in shock on how beautiful and big that house was. It was surrounded by trees and you should still see the view. Austin pulled in front of the house and Carmela saw 7 different cars in the driveway. She pulled up behind Austin and before she could open the door, he was opening it for her and held out his hand. Carmela took it and he helped her out of the car. As she followed him, she saw all the different kind of cars. There was a silver Scion Fuse, a blue Jaguar XK convertible, a white Audi A8, a yellow Lamborghini Murcielago. There was also a  yellow Mitsubishi Eclipse GT along with an orange Ford Mustang Giugiaro and last but not least a gray BMW Series 7. Then there was Austin’s silver Chevy Camaro.
    “Wow. Some of these cars aren’t even out yet.” Carmela said, as she looked at the Scion Fuse. Austin was impressed.
    “You know your cars.” he smiled.
    “I do.” Carmela said. They stopped at the front door.
    “Are you ready?” Austin asked. Carmela’s heart was racing. A thousand thoughts were going through her head. She took a deep breath and nodded. Austin opened the door and led her through the big entrance. He knew where his parents were. Austin had taken Carmela’s hand and led her into the big kitchen. The whole family was there plus two people that Carmela had not met before. She assumed that this was Cora and Edward. Cora had short black hair and her skin was the palest out of all of them. Her eyes were a bright blue. Even more blue then the sky itself. She didn’t look like she was old enough to have had kids however. Edward had longish brown hair with brown eyes. He was taller then his wife, but shorter then some of his kids. His skin was tanner then anyone in the house.
    “Austin.” Cora said, her voice soft and calm.
    “Mom, dad, this is Carmela.” he said. Cora smiled a small smile and nodded her head toward Carmela. Trent, Serena, Kali, Gabe, and Dylan were just standing there shocked that Austin could bring someone into their home.
    “What is she doing here?” Edward asked, his voice firm. Austin looked at Carmela who nodded.
    “Something is happening to her.” Austin explained. He saw a knife laying around, picked it up. “You guys might want to brace yourself.”
    The whole family backed away from Carmela and Austin. Austin stuck the knife into Carmela’s arm where it bled for a few seconds before healing. Cora and Edward looked at each other. Cora then walked over to Carmela.
    “When did this start?” she asked, motioning Carmela to sit down.
    “Not that long ago.” Carmela answered. Cora’s touch was gentle. She looked at Austin.
    “It looks like you are turning into a vampire.” Cora told her. Carmela’s heart skipped a beat.
    “But how is that possible?” she wanted to know. Her whole body started to shake violently. Cora sighed and looked at Carmela. Her eyes gentle.
    “The only way this can happen is that if one of your parents was a vampire.” Cora explained to her. Carmela was surprised. She didn’t know if her mother was a vampire or not and she knew for a fact that her father was not a vampire.
    “How though? I mean how could one of my parents be a vampire and no one else notices?” Carmela was confused.
    “Those people can do a good job of keeping it from their loved ones.” Cora said. “I know this is hard to grasp, but one of your parents is a vampire.” 
    Carmela’s mind was racing. She didn’t understand.
    “But how is that possible? I don’t understand.” she said. Cora looked at Carmela.
    “Like I said before, I know its hard to grasp, but is there any information about either one of your parents that you could tell us?” Cora asked.
    “Not that I know of. My mom was just a normal person and my dad is normal as well.” Carmela said. She left out the part of how her father was a drunk.
    “Well if there is anything that you can find out, please come back and let us know.” Cora told her. “We want you to be ready for all the changes that are going to happen to you.”
    Carmela’s eyes widened.
    “What changes are going to happen?” her voice was shaking. Carmela was so scared. Austin looked at his mother.
    “I’m sorry.” Cora said. “I didn’t mean it all in a bad way. I just want to make sure that everything is ready. Some things can get out of hand.”
    Carmela bit her bottom lip and looked at Cora whose eyes were gentle and warm.
    “I’ll find out what I can.” Carmela said. Cora nodded. “I should go. Thank you. It was nice to meet you all.”
    “Bye.” they all said together and Austin left with Carmela. Carmela turned to face Austin before getting into her car.
    “Are you alright?” Austin took Carmela’s hands in his. Carmela looked into his eyes.
    “I’m not sure.” she said softly. “I’m scared of what’s happening to me. My mom never kept anything from me, but now that this is happening, I feel like she hid so much from me.”
    Austin cupped her face in his hands.
    “I promise you that whatever you are going through, I will be right here next to you. I am not going to leave.” he looked at her with those piercing golden eyes. Carmela believed him. The eyes looked like they were telling the truth.
    “I believe you.” she whispered. She wrapped her arms around his body and hugged him not wanting to let him go.

Chapter 8

    Finally they let each other go and looked into each other eyes.
    “Don’t worry.” he whispered. “I will make sure you are safe.” Austin kissed her on the cheek. Then he opened the car door for her and helped her inside. “I’ll see you soon.”
    Carmela nodded and started the car. She backed out of the long driveway and then drove home. Once she arrived, she just sat in her car for a few minutes. She couldn’t believe that she was becoming a vampire. She didn’t understand which one of her parents could have been a vampire. Carmela got out of the car and went inside. Her father was still passed out. She climbed the stairs quietly and went into her room and locked it. Her mother had left her a note a while ago and she had put it in her favorite book for her mother had said not to read it until Carmela felt it was the right time and now was the right time. Carmela found her favorite book and opened up the first page. There inside was a note with Carmela’s mother’s nice handwriting.
    “Dear Carmela.
    You might be wondering what is happening to you. I have to tell you the truth because I might not be around one of these days. I am writing you this note because I have died. Most likely been murdered. By who you might be wondering, that I do not know. But I have to tell you that the reason you feel so different is that because you are a vampire. I was born in 1899 and that was a difficult year for me. My mother died giving birth to me and my father did not want me. So I was left out on the streets like a dog. Then someone found me. I can not remember his name. He took care of me for ten years and then one night, I could feel him putting his lips on my neck and then a felt a bite. At first I was worried that he had an infection. However, then I started changing. He was right there next to me, holding my hand. After I changed, we ran away for back then, if someone saw you changing into a vampire, they would kill you, so we ran away. Deep into the forest. He caught me a new way of life. One where I didn’t have to kill people to get the blood I need. After a few months, he thought I was able to take care of myself, so he left. I never heard from him again. But as the years went on, I became more use to the fact that I was going to live forever. Then I met your father. I fell in love with him at first sight. After a few years of knowing him, we were so in love, we got married. That’s when everything changed. I got pregnant with you. I had never told Hector what I really was for I was scared that he would leave me and I needed him now that I was going to have his baby. As I was getting ready to give birth, I was started to receive mail that was threatening, saying I needed to get rid of you and that if they found  out about you they would come and take you away and turn you into one of them. I could not have that. I pretended to get an abortion. I started to wear clothes that were loose on me. Hector and I went to  a private hospital and I gave birth to you. As years went on and you grew up, I saw that you were going to be like me. A vampire.”  Carmela could feel tears building up as she kept reading. “I should have told you when you were old enough to handle it, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. You were loving your life not knowing that you were one of the most feared creatures on this planet. I decided to write you this letter and give it to you because I know that my time is coming to an end. That something bad is happening and that I might not see you ever again. But I know that you will find the people responsible for my death and that you will get them back. That you will kill them all. Now that you know what you are, you need to be careful because you never know who can hurt you in the end. Please remember that I love you and that I want the best for you. No matter what. Please darling Carmela, be safe and know that I am always watching you.
    Love, your mother.”
    As Carmela finished the letter, she gasped. Tears streaming down her face. She couldn’t believe it. It was her mother that was a vampire and now that had read the letter she understood that someone wanted her mother dead and might be coming after her if they find out that her mother had given birth to her. Carmela needed to get to Cora. To let her know about this. She pocketed the letter and went downstairs. Hector was finally awake, drinking his beer of course and watching T.V.
    “Carmela!” he roared.
    “S**t.” she muttered softly. She went to the living room and just stood there.
    “Where the f**k are you going?” he asked, glaring at her.
    “I’m meeting some friends. I’m going to the library to study. I have finals coming up.” Carmela said.
    “I don’t f*****g believe you.” Hector said. Carmela had had enough with Hector and his drinking and the way he treated her. Her eyes went from their normal color to a deep black.
    “You don’t have to believe me Dad. I’m going to go study. All you are is a drunk.” Carmela said. She ran out the door before Hector could get up and say anything. Carmela got into her car and drove away. She parked outside the driveway of the Spencer home and just sat there. Carmela lifted her shirt up and saw that all the marks her father had made had disappeared. “S**t.” she muttered. Now no one would believe her if she was to say that her father hit her. However that’s when she remembered that she had snapped a few photos of herself when she did have bruises. Maybe that would be proof enough. Carmela started the car and drove on the driveway to the Spencer house. Austin was standing at the front door waiting. There was a small smile on his face as Carmela got out.
    “Hi.” he said.
    “Hi.” Carmela’s heart raced when she saw how perfect he was. “I found this.” Carmela pulled the note out of her pocket. Austin and Carmela went inside and found Cora making dinner.
    “Mom.” Austin said. Cora looked up and smiled when she saw Carmela.
    “Hello Carmela. Nice to see you again.”
    “Carmela found this note. It was for her from her mother.” Austin handed Cora the note. Cora opened it and read it and her eyes changed to a bright blue and her face was in shock. 

    Chapter 9

    “Mom, what is it?” Kali asked, worried.
    “What’s your mother’s name?” Cora asked Carmela.
    “Julia Mason.” Carmela answered. Cora looked at all her family. Her eyes bright blue and sparkling with concern.
    “What is it?” Serena asked.
    “We have to protect Carmela at all cost.” Cora told them. All the family members looked at their mother wondering what she was talking about.
    “Are you going to explain why?” Austin wanted to know.
    “We just have too.” Cora snapped. Everyone looked at her. “Excuse me.” Cora got up and left. Edward following her. He put his hand on her shoulder and she turned around to face him.
    “What’s the matter?” Edward’s voice was filled with concern.
    “Do you know who Julia Mason is?” Cora asked.
    “I believe I have heard of her.” Edward nodded. Cora sighed and sat down on the chair, looking at her husband.
    “Julia and I were best friends. We did everything together. We knew we were different, but that didn’t stop us from having fun.” Cora started to explain. Edward nodded. “Then we started to notice people following us. At first we didn’t think much of it because we were in our own zone. We didn’t really care about anything at that point. But as weeks went on, we thought it was really weird that we would see them everywhere. Finally, when we were sitting for coffee, the three guys sat down with us and warned us to be careful or something bad was going to happen. They had serious looks in their eyes. After they left, we didn’t think much of it of course. Years went by and Julia and I started to drift apart. We went our own way. I kept her in the back of my mind because I felt like something was going to happen. Then it did. I got a letter a few days after she died. It was from her. But it didn’t say that she had a child that was going to be turning into a vampire. She just said that she loved all the good times we had and that she hoped everything was going well for me.”
    Cora’s eyes started to fill with tears and her husband moved closer and hugged her.
    “I just wish that I could have been there to help her.” Cora said. Edward just stroked her hair.
    “You are here now.” Edward whispered.
    “I have to protect Carmela.” Cora whispered.
    “We will. Whatever it takes, we will protect her. You have nothing to worry about I promise.” Edward said. Cora sighed.
    “There is something else.” she said. Edward looked at his wife. “The reason that Julia and I got along so well was because I was her guardian.”
    Edward just stared.
    “Julia, she was reborn from the Augustine family.”
    “What?” Edward wanted to make sure that he was hearing correctly.
    “Yes, the Augustine family.” Cora repeated.
    “But how could we not have heard about it?” Edward was curious.
    “Because they didn’t what a lot of people knowing about it. It would cause a big scandal if everyone in our world found out that the father of the most royal family saved someone like Julia.”
    Edward looked at Cora.
    “So we have a royal blood in the house right now?” he asked. Cora sighed.
    “It looks like it. The same blood that flowed through Julia and Robert flows through Carmela. Now you see why we have to protect her.” Cora said.
    Edward nodded in agreement.
    “We do. If anyone finds out that there is a Augustine family member with us, they will come after her and us. We need to keep it to ourselves.” Edward said.
    “Don’t you think that we should tell Carmela about who she really is?” Cora asked.
    “Only when the time is right.” Edward said. “She’s already going through a lot right now. I don’t think she can handle anymore news.”
    “You’re right.” Cora said. “We should let her stay with us though.”    
    The two of them went back into the kitchen were everyone was talking.
    “Carmela.” Edward’s voice was soft. Carmela looked up. “How would you like to stay with us?”
    Carmela was shocked.
    “Um.” she said. She couldn’t just pack her things and leave her father. Not when he needed help. That’s when she realized that now she knew what she was, she could take him. She could make him see what he was doing to her. “Not tonight. I have something to do.”
    Cora’s eyes flashed in Austin’s direction.
    “I’ll come with you.” Austin said.
    “No!” Carmela nearly screamed. “I’ll be back. I promise.” Carmela grabbed her things and went outside to her car.
    “You have to follow her. Make sure she’s safe.” Cora told Austin.
    “I was going to do that anyways. There is something going on in that house.” Austin said. Cora nodded and Austin followed. Carmela sighed and drove home. Hector was up and watching T.V.
    “Dad.” Carmela said as she opened the door. Hector looked up and saw it was Carmela.
    “Where the f**k have you been?” he growled. Carmela knew that look. The look where he was going to get up and hit her. She didn’t feel like fighting tonight though. She was too exhausted from everything she found out. Hector got himself up and moved toward her.
    “Please, Dad. Don’t.” Carmela whimpered. He leered over her as Carmela coward in the corner. Hector grabbed her by the arms. Her arms were now pinned to her side so she could hit him or get away. However before Hector could lift her up and throw her, the front door swung open and Carmela looked over and saw it was Austin. Her eyes were filled with tears. As soon as the door swung opened, Hector looked up, his eyes blazing. Austin’s eyes were a deep shade of black. His face contorted in anger as he saw that Hector had Carmela pinned against the wall.
    “Austin. Don’t.” Carmela gasped. Hector let Carmela go and turned his attention to Austin.

Chapter 10

    Hector moved toward Austin, but Austin was too fast for him. Carmela collapsed on for floor.
    “STOP IT!” she screamed finally. Hector stopped and Austin stopped. Carmela finally got the strength to get up. “Daddy.” she whispered. Hector looked at her. All the rage and hatred washed away from his face. “Can’t you see what you are doing?” Carmela’s eyes started to fill with tears. “What would Mom say if she saw you like this? What would she say if she saw what you did to me?”
    Hector’s eyes started to fill with tears also. He looked away.
    “Dad, look at me.” Carmela commanded. Hector did and Carmela held his gaze. “Please Daddy, stop this. Look at yourself. You already lost Mom, did you really want to lose me too?”
    Hector just looked at his daughter and for the first time in five months, saw her. He moved toward her and wrapped his arms around her. It was the first hug Carmela had gotten from her father since her mother died. After Hector let her go. His voice shaky.
    “You are right Carmela. I can’t lose you too.” he said. “I am going into a program. It’s not going to be easy.”
    Carmela smiled softly. “Daddy, you can make it through.”
    “Can we go right now?” Hector asked. He looked at his daughter with pleading eyes.
    “Of course we can.” Carmela said. “Go upstairs and pack some stuff.”
    Hector moved upstairs and went to his room. Carmela could not look at Austin. She moved away from Austin, sitting down on the chair. Austin kneed down and looked at her.
    “Carmela.” Austin whispered, taking her chin and moving her face toward him. Finally Carmela looked at him. “Why didn’t you tell me about this?”
    “Because he’s the only family I have left Austin. I already lost my mom to something I don’t know. I couldn’t lose him too.” Carmela said.
    “And you thought that I would turn him in?” Austin said.
    “Well isn’t that what people do?” Carmela asked.
    “Um, I guess, but I’m not like everyone else. As you noticed. I’m not human.” Austin told her.
    “I know that, but I was still scared.” Carmela sighed.
    “It’s good that you finally got his attention.” Austin said. Finally Hector came down with some suitcases.
    “Are you ready?” he stumbled toward them. Austin caught him before he fell.
    “Yes.” Carmela said. Austin helped Hector into the car. Then he just stood there. Carmela turned to him. “Are you coming or what?”
    “Oh you want me too?” Austin asked.
    “I need your support.” Carmela said. Austin nodded and got into the car. Hector was seated in the back, so Austin got in the passenger side. Carmela started the car and drove to the nearest rehab center. Austin then helped Hector out of the car and they walked slowly into the office.
    “Hi.” a bubbly lady said when they arrived. “What can I do for you today?”
    “Um, I’m here to check my dad in. He has an alcohol problem.” Carmela said.
    “Well you came to the right place.” she said. She hit an intercom button. “Doctor Zane, please come to the front office. I’m going to need you to go sit over there and sign him up.”
    Carmela nodded and took the clipboard and pen. She then sat down on the table and started to fill out the questions. Hector was just sitting calmly, trying not to throw up. Austin was watching carefully. After filling out the paperwork, she got up and handed it back to the lady at the counter.
    “Doctor Zane should be here shortly if you don’t mind sitting down.”
    Carmela nodded.
    “Thank you.” she said. She took a deep breath and then sat down next to Austin who wrapped his cold around her.
    “Everything will be okay.” he whispered in her ear. She could feel her face going red.
    “I know.” she said looking at him. The door opened and a middle aged doctor came out. He had thinning hair with hints of gray. Carmela looked up and saw him walking over to them.
    “Hi, I’m Doctor Shawn Zane.” he said, sticking his hand out.
    “Hi, I’m Carmela Mason. This is Austin Spencer and this is my father Hector Mason.” 
    “Hello.” Doctor Zane shook Carmela’s hand, then Austin’s, then Hector’s. “How can I help you today?” Carmela looked at her father.
    “I have a problem with alcohol.” Hector said. Doctor Zane nodded and took the paperwork that Carmela had filled out.
    “You came to the right place.” Doctor Zane said. “Please follow me.”
    “Is this it? I can’t go past here?” Carmela asked.
    “I’m afraid so. You better say your good byes.” Doctor Zane nodded. “I’ll give you a minute.” He left them and Carmela went over to her father.
    “I know you can do this. Just believe.” she said.
    “Thank you.” Hector said. He turned to Austin. “You take care of my girl.”
    “Don’t worry. She is in good hands.” Austin smiled. Carmela and Hector hugged and then Hector followed the doctor inside the double doors. After her father was out of sight, Carmela let out a deep breath. Austin took her hand in his. “You did great.”
    “I couldn’t have done it without your help.” Carmela looked at him with a small smile on her face. “I can’t believe that he’s here.”
    “He’s in a better place. You wouldn’t be able to see him for a while.” Austin said.
    “I know.” Carmela yawned. “But it will be good to see him back the way he was when my mother was alive.”
    The two of them left the rehab center and Carmela was about to get into the driver’s seat, but Austin stopped her.
    “No.” he said. “I’ll drive. You are way too tired.”
    “What? No I’m not. I’m fine.” she yawned again. Austin just looked at her. “Fine. You can drive.”
    Austin opened the passenger side door for her and then got into her car.
    “I think its best if you stay at my house tonight.” Austin said, as he pulled away from the center.
    “What makes you say that?” Carmela asked.
    “I just do.” Austin’s answer was short and simple. Carmela was too tired to argue. Austin pulled into Carmela’s driveway, since he had left his car there. Before Carmela could open her car door, Austin was already lifting her up and putting her into his car.
    “You know I can walk.” Carmela grumbled. Austin chuckled and started the car. The engine on his car was silent and as soon as he started driving, Carmela’s eyes closed. She felt at peace as she kept her eyes closed. Her mind wasn’t worried about her father beating her up. She was worried a little about just shoving this whole big information on him and leaving him in a rehab center. It was out of the blue, but she couldn’t stand the abuse anymore. Finally she felt the car slowing down and finally coming to a stop. This time Carmela opened her car door and got out. She walked along side Austin who was silent. Austin opened the front door and the two of them went into the kitchen where the rest of the family was. Cora was watching Carmela closely. Finally she spoke up.
    “Everyone. I think we need to have a conversation about Carmela.” she said. 

Chapter 11

    Everyone looked at Cora and sat down.
    “We have to tell you something about Carmela.” Edward said. Cora looked at her husband who nodded.
    “There is something that we believe have caused the events to happen.” Cora said. Everyone was just looking at her. Carmela was worried. “Carmela has royal blood in her. In fact she is an Augustine.”
    “What?” Serena gasped. Carmela just looked confused. She didn’t know who the Augustine family was. She didn’t even know that vampires had royal families.
    “Yes.” Cora nodded. “When her mother was about to die, Patrick Augustine found her and took her in for ten years. Then one night he decided it was best to change her. He bit her and she changed. No one knew, he just said that he found her and he sensed that she was a vampire. I was set to be her guardian. We became best friends and then all of a sudden, we drifted our own ways.”
    Carmela looked at Cora, surprised. Cora looked back, her eyes filled with tears.
    “I’m sorry I wasn’t there to protect her.” Cora said. Carmela’s eyes filled with tears. She got up and walked over to her. Then Carmela wrapped her arms around Cora.
    “It’s not your fault.” Carmela whispered. “Everyone goes their separate ways.”
    Cora hugged her back.
    “I’m going to protect you.” Cora said.
    “We’re going to protect you.” Kali chimed in. Cora looked at her daughter. “What? We are.”
    Cora smiled. “Thank you Kali.”
    “How are we going to do this?” Gabe asked. “Most important question is who killed Julia and why?”
    “Well its because she was a Augustine. They are the most powerful of our kinds and someone found out that there was one that was not protected.” Dylan interjected.
    “We have to find out who killed Julia.” Edward said. Austin looked at his father.
    “Are you crazy? We can’t just go to the Augustine family and start asking them questions. They could kill us.” Austin said.
    “Not if we bring Carmela.” Trent said suddenly. Carmela jumped. Trent was always so quiet that she would forget he was there.
    “No.” Austin said flatly. “They could attack her.” Carmela looked at Austin.
    “Austin.” she whispered.
    “No. I am not going to risk loosing you. Not when I just found you.” Austin took her hand in his.
    “I don’t want to lose you either, but if we don’t find out who killed my mother, I will be next. We need to go and ask. Ask them what they know.” Carmela’s eyes were pleading. Austin looked into them and sighed.
    “Fine.” he finally said. “But you will not leave my side.”
    Carmela nodded.
    “We wouldn’t lose sight of her either.” Serena smiled. Austin rolled his eyes.
    “Can we do it tomorrow?” Carmela asked. “I’m exhausted and I have a lot of information to process.”
    “Of course.” Cora said. “Austin, show her to the room.”
    “Thank you guys for everything.” Carmela said. Everyone smiled a sweet small smile and then Austin led her away. Up the winding stairs and into a big room with double doors. It was bigger then Carmela’s kitchen and dining room put together. The bed was twice as big as hers. She was facing the water and since the windows were so big, she could just stare outside. Her bed was facing the water. Austin walked over to the window and wrapped his arms against his chest. Carmela climbed into the bed and just sat there watching Austin. He turned around and smiled the sweet smile that made her melt. Her face grew red. She smiled as well. Austin walked over to her and sat down next to her, just admiring her face.
    “Stop it. You’re making me blush.” Carmela said, putting her hands on her cheeks so he couldn’t see.
    “You are gorgeous.” Austin said softly. He touched her cheek with his finger. Then he leaned in and kissed her on the forehead. “Get some sleep. We have a long day tomorrow.”
    Carmela nodded and got under the covers. Austin turned to leave.
    “Austin.” Carmela said. He turned around. “I’m glad you are in my life.”
    He walked over to her.
    “I’m glad you are in my life. I’ve been waiting for so long and I have finally found you. Every word you speak is a poem to my ear, every movement you make is another beat to my heart.” Austin whispered. Carmela was speechless when he said the last part. No one had ever said that to her and when he did, her heart just swelled and it felt like it was going to explode if he said anything more. That’s when he leaned in and placed his cool lips against Carmela’s. Her head started to spin. Everything around her disappeared as Austin’s kisses were gentle. Her heart started to beat faster and faster as Austin did not pull away. Finally, it was Carmela that had to pull away. She had to gasp for air. Her head was still spinning.
    “Wow.” she gasped.
    “Sorry,” Austin whispered. “That was out of line.”
    “No, it wasn’t.” Carmela smiled. “It was perfect.”
    Austin smiled back. “Good night Carmela.”
    “Good night.” Carmela said. Austin finally left and Carmela put her head down on the pillow. Her eyes at last closed. Carmela dreamed of nothing. She was too happy to have anymore nightmares. Now that her father was getting help, and now that she was starting to learn more and more about her mother, and now that she had Austin in her life, she didn’t feel like she would have anymore nightmares.

    The next morning, Carmela woke up thinking that last night was a dream. However when she saw the sun hitting the lake, she realized it was not a dream. She nearly sprung out of bed. Then Carmela went downstairs and saw that everyone was up and ready.
    “Are we still going to the Augustine?” Carmela asked.
    “We said we are. We don’t go back on our word.” Cora said.
    “I’m sorry. It’s just that people always say that and then they go back on their word.” Carmela said.
    “We don’t.” Gabe said. Carmela nodded and saw there was some coffee on the table. Her cell phone rang making her jump almost dropping her coffee cup, but Gabe caught it.
    “Thanks.” Carmela said. Gabe smiled and put it on the table. Carmela saw it was Myra. “Hello?”
    “What the hell is going on? I haven’t seen you in a long time. What the F**K is going on?” Myra cried.
    “I’m sorry. I’m going through a lot of personal issues right now.” Carmela lied. She hated lying to Myra, but it was different now. Carmela was no longer human, while Myra was.
    “Is everything okay?” Myra sounded deeply concerned.
    “Um, not at the moment. Look, I don’t know when I’ll be back, but hopefully it will be soon.” Carmela said.
    “Alright. Just keep in touch.” Myra said.
    “I will. Bye.” Carmela said. She hung up the phone and sighed. Carmela ran her fingers through her hair. “I hate lying to her. She’s my best friend.”
    Cora nodded.
    “I understand. I did the same thing.”
    Carmela nodded and poured herself some coffee. Everyone was silent for a while. After a while of tense silence, Carmela finished her coffee.
    “Is everyone ready?” Edward asked. Carmela took a deep breath and nodded. Austin held her hand. “Okay. Let’s go. We’ll take my car and Trent‘s car. We don’t want to attract too much attention while driving there.”
    “Where is there?” Carmela wanted to know.
    “Maine.” Edward answered. Carmela’s mouth dropped open.
    “All the way to Maine?” she said. Edward nodded. “That’s so far.”
    “I know. Don’t worry. We’ll make it by nightfall.” Serena said.
    “We better get going if that’s true.” Austin said.
    “Austin, why don’t you come with Cora and I? Carmela you as well.” Edward asked.
    “Okay.” Austin said.
    “Why can’t I take my car?” Kali asked. “My car isn’t like Gabe’s or Dylan’s. Besides, then Serena can ride with me.”
    Edward rolled his eyes. “Fine.” he said. “Then the guys will be taking Trent’s car. So there are three cars that are going. Do you all know where we’re going?”
    Everyone nodded and got into their cars. Austin opened the door for Carmela and she climbed in. Cora got into the passenger side while Edward started the car. Austin climbed in next to Carmela and moved closer to her til their legs were touching. Carmela could feel the heat rising as Austin just sat there perfectly still. Edward pulled out of the driveway and started to go to the freeway. Carmela sighed and made herself comfy. The drive was long and she knew that she would fall asleep very soon, even though she had slept soundlessly the night before. As soon as they hit the freeway, Carmela fell asleep. Austin looked over at Carmela and smiled. She had her head against the window, her eyes closed. The way she looked when she was sleeping. So peaceful. Austin moved around and then put Carmela’s head on his chest so she wouldn’t wake up with a neck pain. Austin just watched the trees go by as Edward drove. He was at peace. Having Carmela right there next to him, made him complete. He wanted nothing more, expect to have her safe. Austin hated the fact that someone was after her. He hated the fact that someone would want to kill Carmela. His true love.

Chapter 12

    After hours of driving, they finally arrived in Maine. The Augustine family lived on the coast surrounded by trees and they had a big gate that was closed to everyone expect their own kind. Edward arrived at the gate and pressed the intercom.
    “May I help you?” a sour voice asked.
    “Edward Spencer with his family.” Edward said.
    “I.D. please.” the voice said. Edward got out his I.D. and showed it to the camera. The gates creaked opened and Edward drove in followed by Kali and Trent. Edward stopped in front of a mansion. It was twice as big as the Spencer’s home. However, the windows were boarded up so the sun wouldn’t shine in. Austin shifted causing Carmela to open her eyes.
    “We’re here.” he whispered. Carmela shifted so she was sitting up straight. Austin opened the door and then took Carmela’s hand to help her out. She could feel her heart beating faster as she saw the stairs. There were 6 people standing at the top.
    “Are you okay?” Cora asked, putting her hand on Carmela’s shoulder.
    Carmela took a deep breath. “I think I’ll be okay.”
    “That’s good. Don’t worry. They are good people.” Cora said. Austin had his hand on the lower part of Carmela’s back as though he was going to catch her if she fell. The whole family walked up the stairs and then bowed once they arrived at the top.
    “Edward.” a man said. He had long brown hair and hazel eyes.
    “Patrick.” Edward said. They hugged and then Patrick turned to Cora. “Cora. It is always great to see you.”
    “And you as well.” Cora curtsied. Cora turned to her family. “You know everyone.”
    “Of course.” Patrick said. As soon as he saw Carmela, his eyes sparkled. “I do not know this one however.”
    “This is Carmela Mason.” Cora said. Patrick’s eyes flashed to Cora.
    “Did you say Carmela Mason?” he asked slowly. Cora nodded.
    “The daughter of Julia.” Cora told him. Patrick composed himself and went over to her.
    “It’s nice to meet you.” Patrick shook her hand. Carmela smiled and shook his hand. “These is my family.” Patrick pointed a girl with short dark hair. The hair was slightly curly. Her eyes were bright green and her lips were full. She had high cheekbones and her skin was of course perfectly flawless. “This is Amorelle Augustine. This is Ayla Augustine, Tristan, Caden Augustine.” Patrick pointed to each one. Ayla had long brown hair that was perfectly straight. Her eyes were also green. Her lips were perfect for her face features. Tristan had short brown hair with big brown eyes. His nose was slightly bigger, but it fit his face. Caden had short blondish hair with hazel eyes. He had high cheek bones and looked a little rugged.
    “Nice to meet you all.” Carmela said.
    “This is my wife Kaia Augustine.” Patrick pointed to the last woman. Kaia had to admit that she was the most gorgeous out of all of them. Her cheekbones were high and her lips were so full that Carmela understood why Patrick chose her. Her eyes were bright, bright green. Her hair was long and luscious  and brown. Her hair was in her face and she had a serious look on her face.
    “Hi.” Carmela squeaked.
    “Nice to meet you as well.” her voice was serious and hard.
    The 6 of them started walked inside.
    “What brings you here Edward?” Patrick asked. The two of them were talking while Kaia and Cora were ahead of the rest of them family. Amorelle walked over to Austin.
    “Hi Austin.” she said. Carmela could tell that she was not from the United States. Her accent was from Russia.
    “Amorelle.” Austin said.
    “I’ve missed you.” Amorelle put her hand inside Austin’s t-shirt. Austin pushed Amorelle away.
    “Please, stay away from me.” Austin said. He put his hand around Carmela’s waist and walked away from her.
    “You just don’t know when to let go do you?” Ayla asked her as she passed by. Amorelle’s eyes changed.
    “Leave it alone.” Caden said. Her eyes changed back and Amorelle followed the rest of them. They all arrived in the big living room. Edward and Patrick were already sitting down. Kaia was standing in the corner as though not wanting to get anywhere near Carmela.
    “So tell me why you are here.” Patrick was curious. He was looking at Carmela with carefulness.
    “We would like some information about Carmela’s mother.” Edward said.
    “Ah, Julia.” Patrick nodded. “She had a lot of potenational. I was really sadden when I heard that she was killed.”
    Carmela looked at Patrick.
    “You heard about that?”
    “When someone like her gets killed, it doesn’t stayed dead. We always find out. She was royal blood. Which makes you royal blood as well.”
    “Yes I know that.” Carmela said. “Do you have any idea who could have done this?”
    Patrick laughed gently.
    “There are a lot of people that hate us. Why do you think we have the gate and the high tech security.” Patrick said. “We are the most powerful vampires in the world. We make sure that everything is in order and that no one knows about us. We protect human beings. Make sure that every vampire knows the rules. Unless the human did something unspeakable, then we would let vampires attack him/her. But that’s only if it was something unspeakable.”
    Carmela nodded. “So you have no idea?”
    “No, I’m sorry. But I promise you that we will help you find whoever did this. We will make sure he is punished. For no one wants to kill a Augustine because the wrath that will be waiting for him, is severe.” Patrick said. Carmela sighed and nodded. “We shall pick this up tomorrow. Ayla, can you show the Spencer family to their rooms?”
    “Of course.” Ayla got up and led them out of the living room. She stopped at a door and opened it. “This is for you Cora and Edward.”
    “Thank you Ayla. It’s good to see you again.”
    “Same with you.” Ayla smiled. She led Kali and Serena to their rooms and Gabe and Dylan to theirs. Finally it was just Austin and Carmela and Ayla.
    “How is everything going with you?” Austin asked.
    “It’s going good. My dad isn’t letting anyone of us leave the house until whoever killed Julia is caught.”
    “That’s understandable.” Austin said.
    “You have no idea how boring it is.” Ayla rolled her eyes.
    “I guess it would be after a while.” Austin agreed. Ayla turned to Carmela.
    “I’m really sorry about your mom.” she said, her eyes sparkling with real sorrow.
    “Yeah, I am too.” Carmela said. Ayla opened a door.
    “This is your room.” Ayla told Carmela. It was a light blue color and it was facing a forest. The windows were twice as big as the Spencer’s home. The bed was a four poster bed with curtains and it was right in the center of the room while there was a dresser on the left. Carmela looked around and left like this could be her own home.
    “Thanks.” Carmela said.
    “Sure.” Ayla smiled.
    “I’ll be right back.” Austin said. He left and followed Ayla to his room which was luckily right across the hallway from Carmela’s. Ayla poked her head inside Carmela’s room.
    “Are you alright?” she asked.
    “I’ll be fine. Thanks.” Carmela said.
    “I’ll be right down the hall if you need anything.” Ayla said. Carmela nodded and Ayla disappeared. Austin then came into her room.
    “Hi.” he kissed her forehead.
    “Hi.” she said.
    “Are you doing okay?” he asked, worried.
    “I am doing okay. I’m just nervous. I mean my mom lived here. I’m just getting to know the real her.” Carmela said.
    “I know its nerve racking, but it will be okay. I promise. The Augustine family are really sweet.”
    “What about Kaia. She looks like she’s going to kill me.”
    “It’s harder for her to accept the fact that she’s going to be alive forever. I mean when I first met her, she was just reborn and a lot more crazy. She has calmed down a little, but she’s still getting use to the fact. It took me a few decades to get use to it.”
    “But weren’t you born to Cora and Edward?” Carmela asked confused. Austin looked down at the bed.
    “I think its time for the real truth.” Austin said.   

Chapter 13

    Carmela just looked at him. Worried.
    “What do you mean the real truth?” her voice shaking. Before Austin could start, there was a knock on the door and it opened. Kaia peaked in.
    “Hi.” she said.
    “Oh hi Kaia.” Austin said.
    “Is it okay if I talk to Carmela?”
    “Sure.” Austin sounded relieved. “I’ll be back later.” he kissed her forehead and left. Kaia closed the door after he left and sat at the end of Carmela’s bed. Carmela felt awkward because she had a feeling that Kaia did not like her very much.
    “I know it seems like I don’t like you.” Kaia said, her voice serious. Her perfect face did not show any emotion.
    “Um yeah.” Carmela nodded.
    “I’m sorry for that.” Kaia said. “Its just that you don’t understand what its like to have something then have it disappear.”
    Carmela was confused. She did have something and it did disappear. Carmela and Julia were closer then a lot of people at the school she had gone too and she knew that it bothered people, but she didn’t care. She loved her mother with all her heart, and then just one day, something went wrong and Julia was lost forever. Nothing could bring her back.
    “Expect I did have something and it did disappear.” Carmela told Kaia. Kaia just looked at Carmela. Her eyes a deep shade of brown. Almost black.
    “That is true I guess. But there is something else you should know. The truth is that you really are one of us.” Kaia said.
    “What do you mean?” Carmela was confused.
    “Julia did not give birth to you.” Kaia said slowly. “I did.”
    Carmela’s heart dropped.
    “Wh-what?” she asked.
    “Julia took you from me and pretended that you were her own.”
    “Bu-but why?” Carmela was gasping for air, as Kaia looked at her.
    “Julia couldn’t have kids of her own. The thing about meeting someone that is human and try and have kids, its not possible.” Kaia told her.
    “But vampires can have kids with other vampires?” Carmela asked. “That makes no sense. Wouldn’t that mean that the kids would stay kids forever?”
    “No, actually. Even though the kids are born vampires, they still grow until they are about 17 or 18.” Kaia explained. “That’s when they stop growing and just have birthdays and such.”
    “And how does it work with human and vampire?” Carmela could not believe that she was hearing. The mother that she had known all her life was suddenly not her mother.
    “The thing is that the eggs are so old that they don’t drop out every month like they’re suppose too. Even though the guy’s sperm still works, it’s the egg that’s the most important factor.” Kaia said.
    “Oh. I see.” Carmela nodded. “So Julia was not my mother? You’re my mother?” Carmela could feel tears coming down. She still couldn’t believe it.
    “Yes I am.” Kaia nodded. “That’s what I mean. I had you and then you disappeared. No one knew what happened to you. When you walked up those stairs, I could not believe what I was seeing. Patrick doesn’t realize its you because the last time he saw you, you were just an infant. But I saw that it was you.”
    “I can’t believe this.” Carmela said. “Everyone I have met, has lied to me. I don’t even know who I am anymore.”
    “You are part of the Augustine family. Nothing can change that. It’s in your blood.” Kaia said softly.
    “I will not be apart of a family that lies. I don’t want to be a part of some weird happening when I don’t even know what’s going on. I don’t want to be apart of it.” Carmela growled. “I will not be apart of it. I thought that this was a good idea, but I was wrong.”
    Carmela grabbed her things and went out the window before Kaia could stop her. Since she was fast as the wind, Carmela made it home in only a matter of minutes. She dropped her things in her room and sat on the edge of her bed. There was a picture of her and Julia on her dresser and she took it and looked at it. As she looked at Julia’s face, and hers, she compared it and realized it didn’t look anything like Julia’s. Carmela threw it on the ground and it shattered. Nothing seemed right. Even though her father was in a rehab center, and the fact that she didn’t know who her true family was, she didn’t understand why she was dealing with things that could not be real. As she looked at the mirror that she had hit earlier in the week, she saw her complexion was changing. It was more pale and more flawless. Carmela did not want to be a vampire anymore. Everyone she had met since she went back to school didn’t know how to tell the truth. Austin was holding something back and Carmela had just found out that Kaia was her real mother. Carmela did not know what to do anymore. That’s when she decided that the only person she could really trust was her best friend Myra. Carmela went outside and looked around making sure that no one was following her. She had a feeling that Austin was going to show up at any moment. She got into her car and drove to Myra’s house. Carmela knocked and Myra opened the door. Her mouth dropped open.
    “What the hell happened to you?” she asked, letting Carmela inside.
    “What do you mean?”
    “You have leaves in your hair.” Myra said. Carmela went into the bathroom and saw leaves.
    “Oopps. I went for a walk in the woods. I fell.” Carmela lied.
    “I see.” Myra nodded. “So what’s happening? It’s been a long time.”
    They went to Myra’s room and Carmela sat down on the floor.
    “A lot. I took my father to a rehab center, so he’s other there getting help.” Carmela explained.
    “That’s great.” Myra said.
    “I also found out that my mom wasn’t my mom.”
    Myra gasped.
    “What?” she asked. Carmela nodded.
    “I just found out. I don’t know who to trust anymore.” Carmela said.
    “What do you mean?” Myra was confused. Carmela bit her lip and looked at her friend.
    “I have something to tell you.” she finally said.


Chapter 14

    Myra looked at Carmela.
    “About what?” Myra asked. Carmela suddenly didn’t feel like telling her, but Myra was her best friend and she hated keeping secrets from her. It killed her.
    “Um, I’m not human.” Carmela said slowly. Myra raised her eyebrows.
    “What are you talking about?” Myra was seriously confused.
    “Um, I’m a vampire.” Carmela said. She cringed when she said it.
    “Wh-what?” Myra asked shocked.
    “I’m not human.” Carmela said.
    “Bu-but how?”
    “I found out that my real birth parents are vampires. The Augustine family. They are a royal line.”
    “I can’t believe that.” Myra said. “I just can’t. There is no such thing as vampires.”
    “Oh you’d be surprised about what’s real and what’s not.” Carmela said. “Trust me. Why do you think I suddenly look pale and my skin is so flawless.”
    Myra bit her lip. She stared at her friend, looking at her skin.
    “Wow.” Myra said. “How did you exactly find out about this?”
    “I just did.” Carmela said. She didn’t tell Myra about Austin and how the Spencer family were vampires/shape shifters. Carmela had told Austin she was not going to tell anyone what they were and she was going to keep her word. However at the moment, she didn’t know who she could trust anymore. She wanted to know what Austin was going to tell her. The way he looked at her, worried her. It made her scared. Her heart pounded loudly in her chest. Carmela had a feeling something big was going to happen and it made her nervous. The thought that scared her the most was that she didn’t know what it was, but she had a feeling it was big. Carmela hated feeling this way. She hated the fact she didn’t know who she really was now that Kaia had told her that Julia was not her real mother. It felt like Carmela could only trust Myra, but she didn’t want to tell Myra that Austin and his family were vampires. It wasn’t right for her to tell someone else’s secret even though she wanted too.
    “That’s really big news.” Myra said slowly. Carmela watched Myra closely and saw that Myra was nervous. “Do you know who is?”
    “Yes I do.” Carmela nodded. Carmela bit her bottom lip. It seemed like Myra was keeping something from her as well. “I should do.” Carmela stated.
    “Why?”
    “I just need to go home for a while. Need some rest. It’s been a really long day.” Carmela said.
    Myra nodded. “Well, come back later on okay?”
    “Sure.” Carmela said. Carmela left and decided to visit her father. Even though he was not her real father, she had known him ever since she was a baby, Carmela still thought Hector was her father. It had only been about a day since she had left him in the rehab center, but she needed to check on him. So she drove to the rehab center and went inside.
    “May I help you?”
    “I would like to see my father. Hector Mason.”
    “Alright.” the lady at the desk typed in the name and got up. “Follow me.” She led Carmela through the double doors and then they walked down a long hallway. “Now your father might be a little loopy. We have been detoxing him.”    Carmela stopped in the middle of the hallway.
    “What?”  she asked confused.
    “Your father has a lot of drugs in his system.” the lady said, confused that she didn’t know.
    “But that’s not possible. My father does not do drugs.” Carmela said firmly.
    “From we gather, he has.”
    “What kind?” Carmela was so upset, she could hardly breathe.
    “Meth, cocaine, ecstasy, and other drugs.”
    “That can’t be right.” Carmela said. “I would have noticed if he was acting like he was on drugs.”
    “The thing is that it was mixed with beer, so he was mostly drunk.”
    They arrived in the room where Hector was and Carmela saw her father with tubes in his nose. Carmela knew she couldn’t go in there. Her heart was pounding really loudly in her chest as she looked at her father.
    “Do you want to come in?” the lady asked.
    “I don’t think so.” Carmela said. “I can’t handle it.”
    “That’s alright.”
    They walked back in silence. Before Carmela left, she turned back to the lady at the desk.
    “How long will he be like that?” Carmela wanted to know.
    “A few more days. Like I said a lot of drugs. It’s surprising that he didn’t overdose.”
    Carmela shuttered at the word “overdose.” She didn’t want to lose her father like she lost her mother. Even though they weren’t really her family, she couldn’t just say that they weren’t. Hector and Julia raised her. They told her that if she believed in herself that she could do whatever she wanted and that she shouldn’t let anyone else break that dream down. Carmela arrived home and saw Myra’s car in her driveway. She was confused on why Myra was there. Carmela had told Myra she was going to go back to her house later on that night, but there Myra was, sitting on the hood of her car, waiting.
    “Myra. What are you doing here?” Carmela asked, closing her car door.
    “I just wanted to see how you were doing. You don’t look so good.” Myra said. Carmela just looked at her friend. “I haven’t been in your house for a while.”
    “Well come on in then. It’s freezing.” Carmela said, opening the front door to the house. Myra stepped inside, her long blond hair bouncing up and down as she moved.
    “I forgot how small and cute it was.” Myra sat down on the couch. Carmela just watched Myra. Her face perfectly flawless just like hers. A little less pale, but still the same shade.
    “Thanks.” Carmela said. She sat down next to Myra. Myra turned around to face her.
    “I have something to tell you.” Myra said cautiously.

Chapter 15

    Carmela looked at her best friend, waiting for her to explain.
    “I’m your guardian.” Myra said. Carmela just blinked. “I have known who you really were and what you are before I met you years ago.”
    Carmela gasped.
    “And you never told me?” Carmela asked.
    “I was sworn to secrecy.” Myra explained. “Believe me, I wanted too.”
    “But you didn’t. I can’t trust anyone. I don’t even know who else to trust.” Carmela said. “I think you need to leave”
    “Let me explain.” Myra said.
    “Just get out!” Carmela screamed. She ran out of the room and went into her room. Tears streaming down her face. Carmela heard the front door open and close. She sighed and sat on her bed. She couldn’t trust anyone. Now that Kaia had explained to her that Julia was not her mother, and that she was of royal blood, Carmela realized that she didn’t know who she was anymore. Everything she had known and loved had disappeared the moment Kaia had told her she was her real daughter and not Julia’s. Carmela climbed into her bed, too exhausted to do anything else and just closed her eyes.

    The next morning, Carmela woke up feeling really depressed. She didn’t have any energy after all the things everyone she knew had told her. Her mind raced as she remembered everything Kaia and Myra had told her. The only thing that really bothered her was what Austin had to say. Before Austin could say anything, Kaia had entered the room and asked if she could speak to Carmela. Austin had left and that was when Carmela’s world came crashing down. As she thought about what it could be, her heart raced. Carmela rolled on her left side and looked out the window. The sun shining and was peaking through her curtains. She sighed and with all the energy she had, finally got out of bed, got into the shower and turned on the water. Carmela just stood in the shower with the water running against her skin. It was nice and warm since she was always so cool. After she was done, she got out, got dressed and opened the front door. Austin was leaning against his car, his arms folding across his chest. When Carmela saw him, her heart raced. Her mind stopped and her feet couldn’t move. Austin walked over to her. Carmela cringed.
    “Carmela,” he whispered. His voice soft and musical.
    “What do you want?” she asked. She could feel tears coming down. Everything that her mind had processed was finally getting to her. The fact that she was going to live forever bothered her and the fact that everyone had lied to her. She hated everyone she knew right now. They had known the truth expect maybe Hector, and they didn’t bother to tell her until Julia was dead. She couldn’t wrap her brain on why they didn’t tell her when they had a chance. Carmela and Julia were so close and they always spent time together. She didn’t understand why Julia couldn’t tell her when they were alone. Carmela knew that she could have handled it better if Julia had told her and then Julia would have helped her through it.
    “I need to talk to you. About everything.” Austin said. Carmela didn’t move. Even though she liked Austin a lot, she didn’t really want to deal with him or anyone else she knew.
    “Why? You probably have more bad news to give me.” Carmela said.
    “It’s not bad news. Look, I’m sorry that you found out that Julia was not your real mother. I am, but you can’t change the fact that you are royal blood. No matter what you do. You can’t get rid of it. It’s in your blood.” Austin said. Carmela knew he was right. “I understand that you are upset. I do. But you need to understand that you are the only royal blood left. Aside from Patrick himself.”
    Carmela looked at him confused.
    “What? What about the others?” Carmela asked.
    “Amorelle, Ayla, Tristan, and Caden are Patrick’s family, but they weren’t born to Kaia and Patrick like you were.”
    “What are you talking about?” Carmela was confused.
    “They were all adopted. Someone had turned them into vampires and first they were horrible. They didn’t understand their powers and they killed hundreds of people before Patrick and Kaia stepped in because people on the outside started to notice a pattern. Bite marks on the neck. So Patrick and Kaia stepped in and stopped them. But they became so in love with all of them, that they took them in as their own. The reason for this was because at the time, Kaia could not have any kids. They had tired for decades, but never happened until you were born. Kaia was so ecstatic about finally being able to have a baby, but then that was ripped away from her. When Julia stole you from Kaia, she changed.” Austin explained to her. “She wasn’t the same bubbly person I knew when I would go there and visit. She was serious and never really spoke as much as she did.”
    Carmela bit her bottom lip. She didn’t say anything, her heart pounded loudly in her chest as Austin explained it to her.
    “Now I have to tell you what I was going to say before Kaia came into the room.” Austin said. Carmela’s heart dropped lower into her stomach. “I was a monster. I killed people who got into my way.”
    “Wh-what?” Carmela gasped.
    “Before I changed into what I am right now, I killed people for fun. For whoever got into my way. I was caught a few times.” Austin said slowly. “I just killed because it gave me power. Then one night, I attacked the wrong person. He was a vampire and he kicked my a*s. Then out of nowhere, he bit me. But he didn’t kill me. He had told me I would have a lot of potenational in the coming decades. I didn’t know what he was talking about. So anyways, he just left me there and when you aren’t born a vampire, the change is the most painful thing you can go through. He had left me in the middle of an alley where no one lived and I just was in so much pain. I screamed in agony.
    “After I was done changing, I didn’t realize what had happened to me. I was so consumed by thirst, I just killed whoever walked my way. I started killing more and more until Edward and Cora found me. I was curled up into a ball in the middle of a forest. I had hated what I became. Even though I was a vampire, the human inside me was still there, screaming at me to stop. To stop all the killings. I did stop and I was so weak because I had not eaten in months.” Carmela could see tears in Austin’s eyes. “Cora and Edward picked me up and took me to their home. They made sure I was okay. They fed me, but when I was strong enough to get up, I realized that Cora and Edward saved my life and that I was now apart of the family. I also realized that the way that they were still alive and still being part of the human world was just not eating people. They were eating animals. Wild ones. They would find a place where there is a problem with a certain animal and make sure to bring it down to the right amount. I at first was not really into that whole killing animals thing, but I realized that if I wanted to be part of the human world, I needed to learn how to accept the fact that I needed to start living the way they did.
    “We lived for decades. Saving our money and just living.” Austin said. “To me the life was miserable. I couldn’t be with someone who was human. It pained me a lot because there were a lot of beautiful women who wanted me. However, I couldn’t because I wasn’t human and could kill them very easily because I was extremely strong.”
    Carmela’s mind was racing as Austin told her everything. She couldn’t believe it.
    “Then I met you.” Austin said. “I knew that you were different. There was something about you that drew me to you. At first I was confused about what these feelings were. I talked to Cora and when I told her your name, she just collapsed. She couldn’t believe it. Cora told me to make sure that you were always safe. I would follow you everywhere, but keeping out of sight.”
    “So you knew that I wasn’t human either?” Carmela asked.
    “When I told Cora, she told me that you were part of the Augustine family. That you were the only true blood of the Augustine.”
    “I don’t understand why its such a big deal to be a real royal blood.” Carmela just didn’t understand.
    “It’s a very big deal. The Augustine family is the only good vampire family left. They are so strong, they keep the bad families in check.” 
    “Vampire have bad families?” Carmela asked.
    “They are taking over, but the Augustine family is more powerful then they are combined.” Austin told her. “You need to understand why they want you safe. If a family that is bad turns you into one of them, everything that they have fought for, will be lost. Every single human being would be gone in a matter of hours.”
    “But I don’t understand what that has to do with me.” Carmela said.
    Austin just looked at her intently. 

Chapter 16

    “I know this is hard for you to accept the fact, but you need to understand that what everyone has done for you is to make sure that you stay alive. That you are on the side of good.” Austin said. “There are a lot of bad people. Bad vampires that would love to see you on their side and once you are, they will have the most powerful weapon ever.”
    “I still don’t understand what that has to do with me.” Carmela said.
    “You are the most powerful Augustine family member to have ever lived. More powerful then Patrick and all the families want someone that powerful. You might know this yet, but you have powers that everyone wants control over. Once they have you, they will find someway to threaten you into using them and once you do, you can never go back to the side of good.” Austin continued.
    “And protecting me is everyone’s goal? So I can be on the side of good and help these families in check?” Carmela asked.
    “Yes.” Austin simply said.
    “It still doesn’t make sense. How come I am the most powerful one?”
    “No one knows for sure.” Austin said. Carmela nodded and Austin just looked at her.
    “What?” Carmela blushed.
    “Nothing.” Austin smiled.
    “Well stop looking at me. You’re making me blush.” Carmela said.
    “I know. I can see it.” Austin chuckled. “Will you please come back and we can talk about this?”
    “Come back where?”
    “To the Augustine house.” Austin said. Carmela bit her bottom lip and sighed.
    “Fine.” she mumbled. She looked up and saw Myra standing there. Carmela just stared at her. Her eyes burning.
    “Please don’t be mad at me.” Myra’s voice was soft and shaking. “You don’t understand how hard it was for me to keep these from you. No idea how hard. I wanted to tell you ever time I saw you. But I couldn’t. I knew that if I did, I would get punished.”
    Austin was just standing there, watching Carmela. She turned to him.
    “You have to understand.” Austin said. “Everyone vowed to make sure you were safe and if that meant lying then so be it.”
    “It doesn’t make any sense. If the Augustine family knew where I was, then why didn’t they come get me and tell me who I really was.”
    “They thought it would be better for you to stay in the life you had then and then no one would come after you.” Myra said.
    “But they did come after me. They came after Julia. Julia died because of me.” Carmela cried.
    “But she died protecting you. She died because she knew who you really are and wanted you to be safe to make it back home.” Myra explained.
    Carmela didn’t say anything. She didn’t know anymore. Even though she was a part of the Augustine family. That she was truly a Augustine, she didn’t feel like it. It felt like a part of her was missing, but she didn’t know what part that was. She sighed and then looked at Myra. Her eyes gentle.
    “I do forgive you. It just hurts me that you knew what I was and didn’t tell me. Hurts a lot.” Carmela said.
    “I know. But now that you know, everything will be told to you. We have to go back to the Augustine family. They can protect us.” Myra said.
    “We’ll go back.” Carmela said.
    “I’ll follow you guys.” Myra said. Austin nodded and held the door open for Carmela who got in. Then Austin started the car and drove away followed by Myra’s car. Austin drove really fast so they made it back to the Augustine family home in no time. Carmela sighed and looked at the big house. She didn’t feel like being back at the Augustine house, but she had too since she had to be protected. Austin put his hand on the small of Carmela’s back and the three of them walked up the long staircase. Kaia was standing at the top looking at them. Carmela stopped in front of her.
    “I’m sorry.” Carmela said.
    “No, I am the one that is sorry.” Kaia said, bowing her head. “We should have taken you back when you were old enough to understand what happened, but we thought it would be safer if you were kept with mortals.”
    “But Myra isn’t a mortal.” Carmela said.
    “No, but she had to act like one. It’s a very difficult task to undertake.” Kaia said.
    “I think I do understand. But it’s harder to wake up human one day and then find out that you are not human and that your mom is not your mom.” Carmela said.
    “I don’t know what you are going through, but you are safe now and that is all that matters.” Kaia said. Carmela nodded and Austin led her away to her room.
    “Are you okay?” Austin asked as he opened the door for her.
    “I really don’t want to be here, but what can I do?” Carmela told him. She sat down on the edge of her bed. “I just kinda wish my life was back to normal.”
    “We all want it that way.” Austin sat down next to her. He wrapped his arm around her shoulder. “But it’s the way it happened. There is nothing we can do about it.”
    “Yeah I know. I’m just worried. I feel like something big is going to happen.” Carmela sighed.
    “Like what?” Austin asked.
    “I’m not sure, but something big.” Carmela said.
    “Don’t worry. You are safe here. Nothing is going to happen to you, I promise.”
    Carmela just looked at him.
    “I’m holding you too that.” she whispered.
    “Nothing is going to happen.” Austin touched her cheek. “Go to sleep. There is a lot to do tomorrow.”
    “Like what?”
    “I’ll explain tomorrow. Just rest.” Austin kissed her forehead and closed the door. Carmela sighed and climbed into her bed. She didn’t realize how exhausted she was until her head hit the pillow. Carmela then had a feeling that someone was watching her. She opened her eyes and saw Amorelle standing over her.

Chapter 17

    Carmela gasped and Amorelle put her hand over Carmela’s mouth. Then Amorelle jumped out the window with Carmela firmly in her arms. Amorelle ran through the forest, not loosing her grip on Carmela’s waist. Carmela had to gasp for air and then finally Amorelle started to slow down. Then Amorelle pushed Carmela to the ground and glared at her.
    “What do you want?” Carmela asked.
    “Oh nothing.” Amorelle grinned. Then three big men arrived. They grabbed her by the arms. Carmela then realized that Amorelle had betrayed her family.
    “How can you?” Carmela’s eyes started to fill with tears.
    “Because I want Austin and the only thing that is keeping me from getting him is you.” Amorelle told her. She nodded to the men and one of them hit her over the head.

    The next thing Carmela knew it, she woke up in a dark basement. The floor cold and smooth. There was a little small bulb that was hanging from the ceiling. Carmela tightened her eyes for a minute and then opened them. They were out of focus for a minute and then Carmela was able to see again. She looked around and saw that the basement she was in was smaller then her room. In the corner there was a bed and a small window were Carmela could see the sky. It was a dark shade of gray with the sun being blocked.
    “S**t.” Carmela muttered to herself as she looked around. She touched the cold wall and tried to get out. “Damnit.” Carmela sighed and then went to her bed and curled up. Her arms wrapped around her knees. She turned her head so she was facing the wall and she felt a tear going down her cheek. Carmela couldn’t believe this was happening. She couldn’t believe that Amorelle had kidnapped her and given her to what Carmela assumed to be the evil families. The door opened and Carmela heard footsteps on the stairs. She stood up and back against the wall. The person who stood in front of her was about 6 feet in height and he had short black hair and sparkling blue eyes. His lips were big and he had high cheek bones. He was wearing a white buttoned up shirt and long brown pants. The look he gave Carmela was the same as disgust and happiness.
    “So this is the famous Carmela Augustine.” he smiled. His voice was dark and deep. “Let me introduce myself. I am Celver Mcholden. It’s finally nice to meet you.” Celver took a bow and moved closer to her. Carmela moved away. “Oh, you are scared of me. Come.”
    Celver moved fast and grabbed Carmela’s wrist. Then he dragged her out of the small room and up the stairs and then into a big living room. This house was not as big as the Augustine family’s or the Spencer’s, but it was gorgeous enough. It was a tan color with big windows. The top of the house looked pointed and the windows looked like the belonged on a boat.
    “Welcome to my home.” Celver said waving his hand around the house. Carmela cringed. She started at him.
    “What do you want from me?” she asked, her voice shaking.
    “I want you to tell me what you know about the Augustine family and the Spencer family.” Celver said. Carmela’s heart stopped when he said Spencer.
    “I don’t know anything.” Carmela lied. Celver just looked at her.
    “Don’t try and lie to me.” he growled through gritted teeth.
    Carmela stood her ground.
    “I do not know anything about them.” she said firmly. “I am not lying.”
    Celver sighed and snapped his fingers. A gorgeous woman came out of nowhere. She had long brown hair that was naturally straight. Her eyes were a dark brown and her skin was perfectly flawless like all the others. However her skin was a little darker then everyone else Carmela had seen who was a vampire. She had a cute little mole on her right cheek.
    “This is my gorgeous wife Evangeline.” Celver said. She smiled a gorgeous smile. A gentle one. “She will be watching you. Taking care of you. We want you to be as ready as you ever will be.”
    “Hello Carmela.” her voice was musical. Carmela couldn’t help but feel like she belonged to the Mcholden family. Even though Carmela knew they were part of the evil families, Carmela didn’t see what was so bad about them. “Please. Follow me.” Evangeline led Carmela into a room. It was a greenish room that was a little smaller then the room she had at the Spencer home and the Augustine home. The bed  sheets was green with some red pillows. In the corner there was a red couch.
    “What is this?” Carmela asked.
    “This is your bedroom.” Evangeline said. As Carmela listened to her talk it sounded like she was a robot.
    “But why?” Carmela was confused. She had woken up in a basement. Now she was suddenly getting this nice room.
    “Because we want you well rested for each day.” Evangeline said.
    “Why?” Carmela pressed. She needed to get information out of someone. She knew that Celver would not just give her the information, so Carmela thought she would try with the wife.
    “That I can not answer.” Evangeline said. Carmela bit her lip and Evangeline took a bow and left Carmela alone. Once the door closed, Carmela looked around the room and saw the window was open. However there were bars like she was in prison.
    “S**t.” she looked around. After a while, she just gave up. She still didn’t understand why Amorelle would want to do this to her. Amorelle had told Carmela that she had wanted Austin for herself and that the only way to get him was to get rid of her. Did that mean that once Austin realized that Carmela was not there anymore, he would go for Amorelle? Would Austin think that she ran away again? Carmela’s mind starting spinning as she thought about the many possibilities with what Austin would do. It pained her to just think about him when she was not with him. She didn’t know how far away she was from him and her heart screamed his name causing her not to be able to think or do anything. At that moment, Carmela realized that she was in love with Austin Spencer. 

Chapter 18

    Austin woke up the next morning with a horrible feeling in the pit of his stomach. He glided out of bed and went to Carmela’s room. He stopped his face contorted in horror. Austin screamed causing Kaia to come running.
    “What?” Kaia asked. Austin nodded his head toward the empty bed. The sheets were in disarray and empty. “What?” Kaia started to panic. Austin moved around the room and that’s when he realized it was an Augustine family member. He would recognize that smell anywhere.
    “I know who was in here last.” Austin whispered. Kaia looked at him, her eyes burned with fire. Her face was stern as she listened to Austin.
    “We can’t do anything unless we have proof.” Kaia told Austin.
    “I know. But I have a way of getting to her.” Austin said.
    “How?” Kaia was curious.
    “Me.” he simply answered. Kaia just looked at him confused. “I believe the only reason that she did this was so that I would be with her.”
    “I can’t believe she would do this.” Kaia said.
    “I know. But don’t worry. We will find Carmela. We will get her back.” Austin said. “However, we can not let Amorelle know that we are on to her. Just play it cool and don’t act like you suspect her.”
    Kaia nodded and took a deep breath. Her eyes turned to their normal color and the two of them walked to the kitchen.
    “Patrick.” Kaia called. Everyone came into the room and sat down. “Um Carmela has been kidnapped.”
    “WHAT?!” Cora cried. Edward put his hand on his wife shoulder to keep her calm.
    “Please.” Kaia said. “We are doing everything we can. We will find her and we will punish whoever did this to the greatest degree ever. I promise.”

    Carmela woke up and looked around. She realized that she was not with the Augustine family. She was in a home where she was a prisoner. Austin had warned her about this. This family was going to threaten her into using whatever power she had and then everything was going to change. The world would be doomed. Forever changed and it would be her fault if she didn’t fight. Carmela had to fight. If she ever wanted to see her true love again, she was going to have to claw her way out of here. However, she didn’t know how. She pouted. That’s when she got an idea. She would gave Evangeline’s trust and then use it against her. Carmela hated that feeling, but she needed to get out of there. She also knew that it wouldn’t take just days to gave her trust, but weeks. Maybe even months. She cringed at the thought of “months.” Carmela didn’t know if she could handle being away from Austin that long. She loved him with all her heart. It was the first time she felt love in her heart. When she was not with him, it felt like a part of her was missing. To her, now life without love is like a harp without strings. She didn’t know how she could have survived all those years without love. Carmela took a deep breath and just sat on her bed waiting. Finally there was a knock on the door and Evangeline came in.
    “Hello.” she said softly. “How did you sleep?”
    “I didn’t.” Carmela lied.  Evangeline just looked at her, her eyes gentle.
    “Why?”
    “Because I’m stuck here.” Carmela said. “I’m being held against my will.” Evangeline just bit her bottom lip.
    “You’ll get use to it.” she simply said.
    “Right.” Carmela sighed. Evangeline finished making the bed and then took Carmela by the wrist and led her downstairs. Every entrance was guarded by a burly man about 6’5 feet. Celver was sitting at the kitchen table reading the newspaper like a normal person. Like a human. Carmela was confused. Evangeline sat Carmela down in the chair next to Celver while she took the other chair on the other side.
    “How did you sleep?” Celver asked.
    “I didn’t.” Carmela said again. She just sat there wondering why Celver was acting normal.
    “I’m sorry about that.” Celver said. “We will be meeting with the other families in about ten minutes. You might want to shower.”
    “Why?” Carmela questioned.
    “Just do it.” Celver said. His eyes burning. Carmela sighed and Evangeline led her back to the room where there was a shower.
    “Why do you take this abuse? He doesn’t seem like he cares for you.”
    “He does, he just doesn’t show it in front of other people.” Evangeline said.
    “That’s stupid. If he really loved you, he would show you affection if there were or weren’t people around.” Carmela said. She slipped into the shower smiling to herself. Carmela knew that she had hit a nerve by the look of Evangeline’s face. Once Carmela stepped out of the shower, she put on the clothes that had been laid out by Evangeline. Then she opened the door and Evangeline led her back downstairs. Carmela saw six people sitting at the kitchen table.
    “Ah, Carmela, Evangeline, welcome. Please sit.” Celver said. Carmela and Evangeline sat down on either side of Celver. “This is Deangelo Vondrak and his wife Astra.”
    Deangelo was about 6’2 in height with a strong jaw line. He had short brown hair with sparkling brown eyes. His wife Astra had long brown hair with perfect lips. Her cheeks were high and her skin was flawless. Her bottom lip was bigger then her upper. Her eyes were brownish. She was 5’5 in height with a perfect body.
    “Nice to meet you.” Carmela said.
    “It’s finally nice to meet you.” Astra shook her hand. There was something in her eyes that made Carmela wonder if she really was evil.
    “This is Lazarus Moriarty and his wife Deidre.” Celver said. Lazarus had longish brown hair with bright blue eyes. He was about 6’1 in height and had a mean look in his eyes as he looked at Carmela. His wife Deidre had long brown hair. She was about 5’7 with a lean body. Her high cheekbones just perfected everything about her. Her eyes were a deep shade of brown and like Astra, they looked kind.
    “Nice to meet you.” Carmela shook Deidre’s hand. Her hand was soft and smooth and as Carmela looked into her eyes, she saw pain. Carmela was shocked. She had never seen such pain in someone’s eyes.

Chapter 19

    “So what’s going on?” Lazarus asked. He was eyeing Carmela with interest.
    “We are going to start teaching Carmela.” Celver said.
    “Is that such a good idea?” Lazarus said.
    “We have too.” Celver said. “I know that you might not like it Lazarus, but if you want this to work, we have to do it the right way this time.”
    Carmela looked at Celver when he said the last part. Deidre looked at Carmela and Carmela looked back. There was so much pain in her eyes that it made Carmela worried. She seriously had never seen someone in such pain, expect her, but that was because her father abused her. The pain in Deidre’s eyes was different. It was like she didn’t want to be there. Like she was forced to be there.
    “Fine.” Lazarus said, through gritted teeth.
    “I’m sorry.” Celver said. “I know that you do not approve, but if we want to do this the right way, we need her to understand.”
    “I said fine.” Lazarus said. Celver nodded and turned to Carmela.
    “Is everything okay?” he asked her, sweetly.
    “Of course its not.” Carmela growled. “I’m being kept here against my will.”
    Celver laughed.
    “Don’t worry, you will enjoy living here soon enough.” he smiled.
    “Doubt it.” Carmela said. Celver chuckled.
    “It’s really up to you.” Celver said.
    “Whatever.” Carmela said. Deangelo just looked at Carmela with gentle eyes.

    Back at the Augustine’s family home, Austin had gotten Gabe and Dylan alone. He needed to tell them about what he and Kaia had found out about Amorelle.
    “What’s up?” Gabe asked.
    “Kaia and I think that Amorelle had something to do with Carmela’s disappearance.” Austin said.
    “What? How?” Gabe was shocked.
    “That I am not sure of.” Austin said. “However, we do have people on the inside of the family. Of the Mcholden family. They should be calling us very soon.”
    “You really think that Amorelle could do this?” Dylan asked, his voice soft.
    “I believe she will do anything so I will be with her.” Austin told them.
    “Wow.” Gabe said. “This is huge. Have you told Edward and Cora about this?” Gabe asked.
    “No. Not yet. I want to make sure that its true but I don’t know how to prove it.” Austin said.
    “Just use yourself as bait.” Gabe shrugged.
    “We thought about that, but its too weird for me. I care about Carmela way to much to do that. I’d feel guilty.” Austin said.
    Gabe just looked at his brother. Suddenly he realized something.
    “Do you love her?” Gabe asked him. Austin was startled by the question, but as he thought about it, he realized he did. He loved her with all his heart.
    “I do.” he said softly.
    “Oh!” Gabe cried. “I can’t believe it! Austin has finally found the one!” 
    “Shut up.” Austin muttered.
    Suddenly there was a ring and Austin and his brothers looked at each other.
    “That has to be them.” Dylan said. The three of them went downstairs and saw that Kaia was talking on the phone.
    “Is she alright?” Kaia was asking. She saw the three brothers and motioned for them to come forward. Kaia turned it on the speakerphone.
    “Yes, she is fine. Celver is going to start teaching her the ropes of what he wants her to learn.” the voice said.
    “Alright. Do you have any idea of when you’ll be able to help her escape?” Kaia asked.
    “No. Celver has pretty tight security here, but we will figure something out. Don’t worry. We were thinking of keeping here for a few weeks and then bringing her back. Then it would seem like she escaped on her own.”
    Kaia nodded.
    “Alright. That sounds like a plan. Please, keep us updated. We want her safe.” Kaia looked at Austin. She could see that it was painful for him not to ask where they were so he could save Carmela himself.
    “Before you go.” Austin said. “Let her know this. Darkness isn’t the absence of light. It’s the absence of you. Please, let her know that. She will understand.”
    “I will Austin. Don’t worry.” the voice said gently. They hung up and Kaia looked at Austin.
    “I know this is really hard for you Austin. But we will get her back. I promise.” Kaia put her hand on his shoulder.
    “It’s very hard.” Austin nodded.
    “True love is when love is sacrificed.” Kaia said. “I know how that is. I lost someone I loved, but then I found Patrick. Then I realized he was my true love.”
    “Are you saying that I might have to let Carmela go?” Austin asked, confused.
    “No.” Kaia said. “She lost someone she loved, but in that process, she found true love. You.”
    Austin just looked at Kaia.
    “I just hope she’s okay.” Austin said. Kaia could see it in his eyes that he really cared for her daughter. She loved Austin a lot. As her own son and she would love to see him with her daughter. They would make a perfect match.
    “She is. They are going to wait a few weeks and then they are going to help her escape.” Kaia explained to him.
    “But how can you trust them?” Austin wanted to know
    “Because they are royal blood as well.” Kaia said.
    “How is that possible? I thought that your family was the only one left.” Austin said.
    “We only said that so that Celver would think that we were the only ones left. There are two royal families left. Including us.” Kaia said. “It was the only way to make sure that Celver trusted them. So they could become his partners.”
    Austin sighed and nodded. All he wanted was his true love in his arms again. However, he had to make sure that Amorelle would give him the right information. As he thought about what she did, his heart started to pound loudly in his chest and his eyes changed colors. He balled his hands into fists. Kaia saw how Austin was reacting.
    “You need to calm down. We will take Amorelle down with whatever we can okay? But we have to make sure she doesn’t suspect anything.” Kaia said. Austin took a deep breath and closed his eyes. Then he calmed down. His heart rate when back to normal and his eyes turned back to their normal color.
    “I know. I’m just so upset. It’s your daughter.” Austin said through gritted teeth.
    “I know. It’s upsetting.” Kaia said. “But you can not let it show or she will suspect something is up.”
    Austin nodded. “Alright.”
    “Now go do it. I know that you don’t want too, but if we are right, we’re going to have to prove it.”
    “Okay.” Austin said. Gabe and Dylan looked at their brother.
    “You going to be okay?” Gabe was worried.
    “I’ll be fine.” Austin said. “I need to do this.”
    Gabe nodded and Austin left the room. He knew that Amorelle was in her room, so he climbed the stairs and opened the door. Amorelle was laying on her bed just reading a book when Austin came in. She smiled to herself and closed her book.
    “Austin.” she whispered in a sultry voice. “What a pleasant surprise.”
    Austin shut the door behind him. 

Chapter 20

    Carmela sighed and looked at everyone around her. They seemed pretty serious. Deangelo had excused himself from the table and disappeared for a few minutes. Carmela wanted to know what he was doing.
    “So where are we going to go for this?” Evangeline asked.
    “I know the perfect place.” Celver smiled. He got up. “Okay, how about the wives and Carmela go in one car and we’ll go in the other?”
    “Where are we going to meet?” Evangeline asked more sternly.
    “You know where.” Celver said.
    Evangeline rolled her eyes and the three men left and got into the car. Evangeline made sure she heard the car pull away before turning to Carmela.
    “Okay.” she said, looking at Carmela. “We are not going to hurt you.”
    Carmela looked at Evangeline, Astra, and Deidre.
    “What do you mean?” Carmela was confused.
    “We are actually spies for your family.” Deidre said. Carmela gasped.
    “But how?” Carmela wanted to know.
    “Celver thought he killed every one in every royal line, however, he didn’t know that our royal lines kept some babies hidden. We were born in secret so no one would know that there were still royal families around. We were born under false names and such. Everyone wanted the evil families to think that the Augustine was the only royal family left and the most powerful. It worked well.” Astra said. “My husband Deangelo is on the good side as well.”
    “I just don’t understand this. You guys are pretending to be bad guys, but are really the good guys?” Carmela asked.
    “I know that it’s a lot to take in. But we are only doing this so we can report back to Patrick and let him know what’s going on and how Celver is using his powers.” Evangeline said.
    “But he’s your husband.” Carmela looked at Evangeline.
    “He may be my husband, but he’s not. It might say that we’re married, but I can not stand the fact that I am married to a killer.” Evangeline told her. Carmela looked at Deidre.
    “There is a lot of pain in your eyes Deidre. I can see it. When I looked in the mirror, I would see the same pain in my eyes.”
    Deidre looked down at the floor.
    “I am in pain.” she said. Finally she looked at Carmela. “Lazarus killed Julia.”
    Carmela clutched her chest. Her mind spinning. The world not standing still. Spinning. She collapsed on the floor.
    “Wh-why didn’t you stop him?” she gasped for air. Deidre fell to her knees and wrapped her arms around Carmela.
    “You have no idea how painful it was for me to see it before it happened. When I saw it, it happened so fast, I couldn’t believe he would do that. That he would just kill someone that he didn’t know.” Deidre whispered, rocking Carmela back and forth. “I didn’t know. I would have stopped him. When I realized who it was he killed, my whole world fell apart. Nothing seemed real to me. What he did, made me hate him even more. I hated him before, but killing Julia, made me hate him to the past of the breaking point. I was so close to killing him myself, but I knew that I had to keep going. That I had to compose myself to make it through or Julia’s death would have been for nothing.”
    “And you have been living and sleeping with the person who has killed Julia? The only real family I knew?” Carmela asked.
    “After that happened, I don’t sleep with him. He sleeps on the couch. I have a feeling he knows how much I hate him for killing Julia. When he told me he just killed someone for the hell of it, I think my eyes flashed my pain. I feel like he seems the pain in my eyes. The pain that he has caused me is breaking me apart. Slowly but surely.”    
    Carmela looked at Deidre with sorrow in her eyes. Deidre did look like she was going to break apart any second.
    “I’m so sorry Carmela.” Deidre said. “I wanted to stop him, but he’s too violent.”
    “It’s alright. I understand.” Carmela hugged her back. “Everything is okay. We are going to get them back for this.”
    “We should go.” Evangeline said. “They’ll start getting suspicious.”
    The four of them piled into the car. Astra sitting next to Carmela in the back while Deidre in the passenger side.
    “What’s going to happen is, we are going to help you discover what your power is, then after a few weeks of training and knowing who to use it, we are going to help you escape so you can go back to the Augustine family to tell them everything you know. There is going to be a big war on our hands, but you have to understand that Celver or Lazarus can not know we are in on this. If he does, we will die the most painful death ever.” Astra told Carmela.
    When Astra explained this to Carmela, Carmela’s eyes widened. She hated the fact that these three women were going to risk their lives just so she could go back home.
    “I can’t let you guys risk your lives just so I can go home.” Carmela said.
    “It’s not just for you Carmela. It’s for everyone. Without you being with your family, it’s just dangerous.” Astra said.
    Carmela bit her lip.
    “I’m sorry. I can’t let you do it.” Carmela said.
    Evangeline looked at Carmela through her rearview mirror.
    “You have too. We knew the risks when we took this job.” Evangeline said sweetly.
    “I don’t care. I can’t let you do it.” Carmela said. Astra put her hand over Carmela’s hand.
    “Carmela.” Astra said softly. “Please, let us do this. We need you safe. We need you back in the Augustine home where you are safe.” 
    Carmela knew there was no way of arguing with three strong women. She sighed and looked out the window. The trees passing by in a blur. Her mind was still spinning as she began to process what they all told her. Carmela’s world was changing drastically around her. Finally Evangeline slowed the car down and then finally it stopped. They were parked in front of what looked like a forest.
    “You ready?” Deidre asked.
    “No.” Carmela said sharply. The four of them got out of the car and started walking. Evangeline led Carmela into the depths of the forest. They walked for what seemed like an hour until they got to a clearing. Celver, Lazarus, and  Deangelo were waiting for them. They had made themselves comfortable and were sitting on the grass as though nothing was worrying them. Deangelo saw Astra who nodded to him.

Chapter 21

    Austin went to Amorelle’s bed and sat down next to.
    “What do I own this surprise?” she asked. Her eyes were hungry with passion.
    “I just wanted to see you.” Austin said. Amorelle moved closer to Austin. She put her hand into his shirt and started kissing his neck.
    “Well I’m glad you see the errors of your ways.” Amorelle whispered in his ear.
    “I am too.” Austin said. He didn’t want to do it, but he had too. He wanted Carmela back in his arms. Austin turned around and before he could stop her, Amorelle put her soft lips against his. Austin then pushed her down on her bed and came on top of her.

    “Are you ready?” Celver asked, taking Carmela’s by the wrist.
    “Of course not.” Carmela muttered under her breath. She hated this. She hated the fact that the three wives and Deangelo were going to risk their lives just so she could be safe. Carmela did not like this idea. In fact, she was very tempted to tell Celver but then she knew that Julia would have died for nothing. She needed to get away from Celver and tell her new family what they are planning.
    “Okay. Great.” Celver said. He pushed Carmela to the ground and stood over her. Carmela got up and stared at Celver. Her eyes a fiery red. “There it is.” Celver whispered. Next to Celver, a planet started to burn. After a while, Carmela collapsed. Her strength weak from the effort. She gasped for air.
    “So that’s her power?” Lazarus asked annoyed. “Just burning s**t?” Celver just glared at Lazarus.
    “You need to calm the f**k down.” he said, his voice sharp. “That is just one power. If you paid attention in school, you would have learned that all royal family members have more then one power.”
    Lazarus just looked at Carmela with disgust.
    “I don’t understand why we have to put up with her. Why not just go kill the family right now?”
    “Because we need to understand the Augustine and she can tell us information we need.” Celver said. Carmela knew that she was going to need to tell them information, but she wasn’t going too. She would rather die herself instead of losing Austin and his family. The thought of Austin dying made her heart scream. She hated the idea. If Celver was going to ask her to tell him information about the family, she wasn’t going too and he killed her, then Austin and the rest of the family would be safe. Expect maybe Amorelle. She could care less about Amorelle. Amorelle was the only one that Carmela really hated. She was the reason that she was in this situation.
    “What makes you think I’ll tell you anything about the families?” Carmela spat. Celver grabbed her hair and made her look at him. His eyes as black as the night.
    “Because I will kill not only you, but your family too. Not your vampire family. Your human family.” he whispered. Carmela’s eyes filled with tears. Her eyes flickered to Lazarus.
    “He already killed my family.” she said, her eyes flaring. She nodded toward Lazarus. He was smiling. Celver looked at Lazarus shocked.
    “Why didn’t you tell me you did this?” he growled.
    “Because it was a weakness.” Lazarus shrugged.
    “You can not do this. That was horrible mistake. That’s probably what set everything in motion.” Celver said angrily. “You’re mistake is why we are in this mess.”
    “We don’t live in a perfect world.” Lazarus said.
    “Of course we don’t! But I’m saying that it would have been a perfect world if you didn’t kill Julia.” Celver said.
    “You don’t control me.” Lazarus said. His voice strong.
    “Wanna bet?” Celver’s eyes changed to a deep red. Evangeline stepped in between them.
    “Please.” her voice soft. “Let’s move past this. We need to teach Carmela how to control her power.”
    Celver’s eyes changed back and he looked at Lazarus with the utmost hatred.
    “You are right Evangeline. We need to get along or something could happen.” Celver said, still staring at Lazarus.
    “Fine.” Lazarus muttered. Celver looked at Carmela, smiling.
    “You ready to try that again?” he asked her.
    “Okay.” Carmela knew that she had to play along if she wanted to get out of there.

    Austin opened Amorelle’s door and left. He sighed and went into the kitchen where Kaia was waiting by the phone.
    “How was everything?” she asked. Austin just shook his head.
    “We can not let Carmela know what I did.” he sat down next to Kaia. “I love Carmela with all my heart and doing that, I felt like I was betraying her.”
    “She will understand that you did it to get information out of her.” Kaia rubbed Austin’s shoulder. “Did she give you anything?”
    “She did. Amorelle is the only that kidnapped Carmela and gave her to Celver.” Austin said.
    “That’s all we need.” Kaia said.
    “How are we going to tell Patrick? Amorelle is his favorite.” Austin said.
    “Don’t worry. When I tell him what’s going on, and who did it, he will be upset. He loves Carmela more.” Kaia told him. “He wants Carmela to be safe and if I tell him who turned Carmela over to Celver, then he will punish her harshly. I don’t know what he will do, but it will be atrocious.”
    Austin nodded. He was so ashamed. The fact that he did that to just to get Amorelle to confess, it made him feel horrible. His heart was hurting every time he thought about it.
    “I just can’t believe I did that.” Austin said. “I feel horrible. I love Carmela with all my heart and I did that.”
    “I know its hard. You two have a past. It’s not an easy thing to overcome.” Kaia said. “You two were in love. But that changed and it is hard to overcome it. Trust me I know.”
    Austin nodded. “But its not going to happen again. I love Carmela too much to do anything like that again.”
    “That’s good.” Kaia smiled. “You two do belong together.”
    “You think so?” Austin wanted to know. Kaia was perfect at seeing the future and who is right for who.
    “I know so.” Kaia smiled. “She deserves someone like you. Someone who cares. Especially after what her father did to her.”
    Austin’s jaw tighten when he thought about when Hector would abuse her. He hated the thought of Carmela being so weak and not being able to fight back. But Hector was in rehab, hopefully doing better.
    “I know. It’s still hard for me to accept the fact that Hector did that to her.” Austin said. “But he’s in rehab and hopefully doing better.”
    “That’s good. When we get Carmela back, you should take some time off and take her to see her father. The one she has known for almost all her life. It would be good for her.” Kaia said.
    “That’s an idea.” Austin said. “I will.”
    “I must go talk to Patrick about what to do with Amorelle.” Kaia got up. “Will you be okay?”
    “Yeah, thanks.” Austin said. Kaia kissed Austin on the forehead and left him alone. Austin sighed and just sat there for a long time wondering. It felt like a part of his heart was missing. He hated that feeling. His mind was on nothing but Carmela. Austin wanted to know how she was doing, what she was doing. He needed to know. However before he picked up the phone, Amorelle wrapped her arms around him and kissed his neck.

Chapter 22


    “Why did you leave?” she whispered.
    “I just needed to see Kaia for a second.” Austin said. His heart pounded. “Look, sorry. I have to go talk to Gabe.” Austin pushed her away and left. After he was out of sight of her, his heart went back to its normal pace. He went into Gabe’s room.
    “Hey.” Gabe said. He was sitting on his bed, meditating.
    “Hi.” Austin moaned.
    “Did you get her to confess?” Gabe looked at his brother.
    “Yes, but you have no idea how horrible I felt after.” Austin said. “I love Carmela and doing that just made my heart break.”
    Gabe just looked at his brother.
    “It’s not going to happen again right?” Gabe asked.
    “Hell no.” Austin gasped. “But since it happened it seems that Amorelle thinks we are a couple again.”
    “Ohh, that’s not good.” Gabe said.
    “No s**t Sherlock.” Austin rolled his eyes.
    “Tell her the truth. That it was moment of weakness.” Gabe suggested.
    “Because it wasn’t a moment of weakness. I only did it to get information out of her.” Austin said.
    “Do you think that Carmela will understand?” Gabe asked.
    “I don’t know. I hope so. I love her so much, but I feel so disgusted with myself.”
    Gabe nodded. “I’m sorry. Look when we get her back, just let her know the truth. She has to understand.”
    “Hopefully.” Austin sighed.

    Celver finally decided it was time to go. There were clouds in the sky. It looked like it was going to rain.
    “You four go ahead. We have to have a talk.” Celver said to Evangeline. She nodded and the four of them walked through the forest to get back to the car. Carmela sighed. She was so weak it was taking a lot out of her just to talk.
    “I know that you are really weak right now.” Deidre said. “But over the days, you’ll start to feel stronger and being able to control it.”
    “I don’t think I can do this.” Carmela said. They arrived at the car and got inside. “I can’t stand the fact that you guys are willing to risk your life for me. I can’t stand it.”
    “Well you are going to have to get use to it. We will do whatever it takes to make sure you get back to Augustine. Whatever it takes.” Evangeline said, starting the car. Carmela bit her lip.
    “No.” she said. “I can get out of this myself. I can’t risk you guys losing your lives.”
    “There is nothing you can do about it.” Astra said. “We are going to help you. Stop being so protective. We are older then you.”
    “Fine.” Carmela muttered.
    “Thank you.” Astra said. “Don’t worry. We have a plan. If Celver finds out, we just say that we were brainwashed.”
    “Do you really think that will work?” Carmela asked.
    “You never know.” Astra shrugged. “Besides, Deangelo is going to be helping us. If worse comes to worse, we will have to kill one of them.”
    “So let me get this straight. Lazarus has no that you are on the side of good?” Carmela asked Deidre.
    “No. He just thinks that I’m here just to be his wife and to do what he asks me to do.” Deidre said. “It’s not a bad thing because then he doesn’t suspect anything.”
    Carmela nodded. There was still a lot of pain in her eyes. Carmela put her hand over Deidre’s and looked at her.
    “Everything will be okay.” Carmela said, calmly.
    “I know.” Deidre said. They arrived back at the house and got out.
    “I wonder what they’re doing.” Astra said.
    “Who cares? It gives us more time to plan how to help her escape.” Deidre said.
    “That’s true.” Astra said. “What we can do is help her escape. Call Kaia and let her know. Then one of us can act like we are going to go search for her, but really we would drop her off at a location where Kaia would be waiting.”
    “That sounds like a good plan.” Evangeline said. “The question is when are we going to do this?”
    “We should give it a few more weeks. Until Carmela has control over her powers.” Astra suggested.
    Deidre nodded in agreement.
    “That sounds good.” Evangeline said. She turned to Carmela. “You have to do whatever Celver wants you too. That way he doesn’t suspect anything.”
    “What if he wants me to kill someone? I can’t do it.” Carmela said.
    “We can make it look like you killed someone if that’s what Celver wants you to do. But I know him and I know he wouldn’t want you to kill someone.” Evangeline told Carmela. Carmela nodded. She believed Evangeline. 
    “Okay.” Carmela said.
    “You’ll be okay and we will get you out of here.” Astra said. The front door opened and Celver came into the kitchen.
    “Hello.” he smiled. “I would like to speak to Carmela alone for a second.” The three women nodded and left the room. Celver looked at Carmela. “How are you?”
    “Aside from being held against my own will?” Carmela muttered.
    “Yes aside from that.” Celver said.
    “I’m getting by.” Carmela said.
    “That’s good.” Celver nodded. “I see that you and the wives are getting along just fine.”
    “Yes. They make me feel at home.” Carmela said.
    “That’s why I love my wife. She makes friends with everyone.”
    Carmela nodded and just sat there.
    “Is she planning on leaving me?” Celver asked suddenly.
    Carmela was slightly taken aback.
    “What makes you think that?” she asked.
    “I just have a feeling that she is. Normally I can read people very easily, but I can’t read her.” Celver for the first time looked sad. Carmela knew she had to lie in order to protect Evangeline. She put her hand on Celver’s shoulder.
    “She’s not going to leave you. I promise. She loves you too much. You just need to pay more attention to her.” Carmela told him.
    “You really think so?” Celver asked.
    “I know so. She told me.” Carmela lied a little.
    Celver sighed and nodded.
    “Thank you.” he said. Carmela nodded and Celver got up and left her.     Evangeline came back in.
    “What was that about?”  she asked.
    “He asked me if you were planning on leaving him.” Carmela told her.
    “What?” Evangeline was confused. Carmela looked at her.
    “He does love you. A lot.” Carmela said. Evangeline sighed. “He’s worried he’s losing you.”
    “Well I never wanted him to fall in love with me as much as he has.” Evangeline said. “But I have no choice. I was working with the Augustine family way before I met him. When I met him and found out who he was, I knew that it was going to be hard.”
    Carmela nodded. She just looked at Evangeline. She was so beautiful and sweet. It was hard to see her in a position she was in. If Carmela had to do it, she didn’t think she could. As she thought about Austin, she got a horrible feeling in the pit of her stomach. Even though it was the first time Carmela was in love, she was scared that she was getting too attached and that something had happened between him and Amorelle. The feeling in her stomach and her heart got stronger. She felt like she lost the connection with him. It pained her and she suddenly collapsed hitting the floor. Tears started to come down her cheeks. She curled up in a ball. Carmela felt like her life was over. That she had nothing to live for. The feeling in her stomach was causing her to writhe in pain. Carmela hated this feeling. But she knew what it could mean. She had felt a strong connection when she first met Austin, but that was slowing drifting away. Carmela left like she really had nothing left in the Augustine family. All she wanted to do was run away. But she knew that she couldn’t. She couldn’t leave him. She loved him. She needed him and most importantly she missed him. Even though she had a feeling in the pit of her stomach, she just wanted to be in his arms again. Carmela was stayed on the floor clutching her stomach. Evangeline kneeled down next to her, looking concerned. Everything Carmela had know, had broken. Her life was a mess and it was about to get worse.  She could have to decide between her life or her one true love.

Chapter 23
    Austin disappeared and went into the kitchen. He sat down at the island table and put his fingers against his temple. The thought of what he did to Carmela made him sick. Austin wished that she was already in his arms. Nice and safe and then maybe she could explain the whole situation to her. Even though they have not known each other for a long time, the connection had when he was around her was amazing. He loved her and just the thought of her made his heart beat faster then normal. This was causing his blood to run through his veins. Even though he was a vampire, the shape shifter part of him made his blood real. Not cold like normal vampires. The shape shifter part of him made his heart real. It beat like normal and moved like normal. The only part that was different was that he was a vampire. Which meant that he has been living for a very long time. He was not a shape shifter all his life. It was about a century ago when he turned. It just suddenly happened to him. Normally before he was, his blood was cold and he could not feel his heart against his chest like he could now, but now that he was a shape shifter, he had human qualities. For example, his heart was real. The blood that ran through his veins was real. It made the other vampires cringe. It also made Austin twice as strong since he could run faster then any other vampire. Sometimes however, his blood ran cold. It depended on how he was feeling. Right now, he was feeling like s**t. The blood was cold, however his heart was still beating hot when he thought about her. Everything about her was perfect. Her skin and her smile. Those eyes captured him the first time he saw her. It was like she had seen the goodness in him and that made him feel more alive then anything else. He would die for her. Austin closed his eyes and just sat there for a while.

    Carmela woke up in her room in the Mcholden's house. Covers were over her and the blinds were closed so the sun wouldn't disturb her. The feeling she had in the pit of her stomach before was still there. Her mind was spinning as she thought of Austin and Amorelle together. It made her sick. She loved him, she hated him. Carmela dreaded the day ahead of her. She slowly got up and went to the bathroom. She looked at herself in the mirror. Her flawless skin sparkling. Even though it looked flawless, Carmela could make out dry tear streaks on her cheeks. Carmela dragged her feet to the shower, got in and turned the water on. The warm water hit her and she jus stood there, her mind out. She couldn't focus on anything expect what she had to do. Even that was hard to focus on. However she knew she had too if she wanted to get out of here. Finally after what seemed like hours, Carmela stepped out of the shower, the towel wrapped around her. Her heart was still aching. She picked out an outfit and then just sat on her bed, looking at the wall. Carmela didn't understand why she should even try and get away now. If Austin did love her like she thought he did, then she wouldn't have this feeling in the pit of her stomach and her heart wouldn't be hurting. She went downstairs and saw Evangeline was sitting at the table. Everything else was silent.
    "Where is everyone?" Carmela asked, sitting next to her.
    "They went out." Evangeline told her. She looked at Carmela with concern. "What happened yesterday? You just collapsed."
    "I have a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that Austin did something horrible." Carmela said.
    "What do you think he did?" Evangeline asked.
    "Something horrible. I don't know what. But I feel like I lost the connection with him." Carmela told her. "We had a strong connection before this all happened. But now I feel like I have lost it. I don't know. I feel like there should really be no point in me trying to get out now."
    Evangeline was shocked.
    "Are you serious? You can't think like that. Everything that your family has built will be gone if you don't get out and help them. Julia's death would have been for nothing. I know it's a cliché to say, but its true." Evangeline said. Carmela bit her bottom lip.
    "I don't know. I just don't think I can go on when my heart is like this." Carmela said.
    "I know that your heart might be broken, but you never know. He might have done whatever he did to get information. Once you get out, you should talk to him and if you still feel like that, then don't put yourself in a position to get hurt."
    Carmela knew that Evangeline was right and that she should get the whole story, but she had a bad feeling that something big was going to happen and that her life was going to change even more then it already has. Even though her blood ran cold, her heart was still beating like a normal human. Nothing seemed right. Everything was a blur as Carmela thought about the first time she met Austin and how he changed her. How his concern caused her to fall in love with him in the first place.
    "I guess so." Carmela said.
    Evangeline looked at Carmela with gentle eyes and a lot of love.
    "I just want you to talk to him. He does love you. A lot and the amazing thing is that you guys haven't known each other for that long. It's hard to find love like that." Evangeline told her. "Trust me I know."
Her eyes suddenly got really sad and she got quiet. Carmela just looked at her. Worried. She didn't ask what Evangeline was talking about. Carmela knew that it must have been painful. However, Evangeline decided to tell her.
    "I was young. Before I was a vampire. I was in love with the most amazing guy ever. He made me feel so special. I loved him the first moment I laid eyes on his. He was amazing." Evangeline smiled just thinking of him. "Anyways, we became engaged and everything was going so well. Then suddenly, my life was ripped apart. He was killed. But Celver no less. At the time, I was pregnant. Celver had told his buddies to leave me and my baby along. However, one of the guys abused me and I lost my baby. Since he hit me so hard, I was bleeding internally. Celver killed him and then made a choice to make me a vampire. However, after he turned me, he ran away. He wanted nothing to do with me. He had a feeling that I was going to kill him because I was new and was a lot more powerful then him. That's when I met the Augustine family. They took me in and caught me the right ways. I was still made at Celver for killing my child, but when I came here, he had told me that he had punished the vampire responsible for the death of my baby. Then I got over it. Well not really, but I learned to accept the fact that I was not destined to carry a baby. No matter what." Evangeline said, her voice heavy with sorrow. Carmela could see the pain behind Evangeline's story and the hate that she really had for Celver. Even though it seemed like she didn't, she knew that look. Carmela had that look every time she looked at her drunken father.
    "I'm so sorry." Carmela said softly.
    "When Kaia had you. I vowed to protect you in everyway and if that meant having to pretend that I was in love with Celver, then so be it. I see you as my own daughter sometimes. It's hard to believe, but I do." Evangeline said. "Celver wants children, but I lie to him and tell him that I wouldn't be able to carry a baby after what happened to mine when I was human. He understands for right now."
    "If you had too, would you kill him?" Carmela wanted to know. Evangeline looked at Carmela and nodded.
    "Yes." she said firmly. Her eyes turned to a deep turquoise as she said this. "Whatever I can to do to protect you."
    Carmela leaned in closer to Evangeline and wrapped her arms around her.
    "I love you." Carmela said softly.
    "I love you." Evangeline stroked Carmela's hair.

© 2008 Anya


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
I'm so proud of you. Look at how much you have written...
KEEP IT UP!!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 12, 2008
Last Updated on August 12, 2008

Author

Anya
Anya

Lost in a Book, WA



About
I was adopted when I was 5. I have been writing since I can remember. more..