Heros of Consequence Chapters 1-6

Heros of Consequence Chapters 1-6

A Story by LovelyMidnight
"

They were victims of his experimentation, now they must rise against the professor and quell his madness using the abilities he gave them.

"

It was snowing that night. The winter's fury roared through the streets of Vancouver as my life took a drastic turn. A viscous wind sent snow pelting against my tan skin as I ran. The fallen flakes crunched against my sneakers as I tore through the dark alley way. My lungs screamed for air, yet I kept running, pure adrenaline pulsing through my veins. My hair rose on end as the voices behind me grew louder and my pursuers shadows grew closer. A turn off came into view and I swerved to the right, muscles tensing as I worked to keep my balance on the slippery concrete. I trudged on, moving faster than I ever had before, yet they were faster. Closer and closer their voices came. Out of nowhere the path ended. The brick wall glared at me revealing my fate. I skidded to a halt, gathering breath and my thoughts when an icy hand grabbed my shoulder. Instinctively I turned swiftly, hand in a fist. Knuckle met with cheek as my left hook connected. My pursuer a burly middle aged man, dressed completely in black teetered back.

 

My Mauy Tai training guided me as I fought. He swung and I ducked and rose back up and hit him with a jab in his nose. He cried out swinging his arms wildly in the air. I weaved around punched and dashed in with another hook and followed with an elbow. Growing weaker the man began to slouch down, each punch draining his energy. Drawing in my last bits of will I kneed the man on the crotch, shifted my feet in a jump and kicked as hard as I could in his side. Finally I finished with one more elbow to the side of his head. He screamed out and fell to the cold ground. Body limb among the freshly fallen snow. Relief flooded my system as I finally breathed, my body straining for the oxygen it so desperately needed. But my bliss was temporary. My ears pricked as footsteps echoed off the ally walls.

 

“Good job Selena Dowers, really, but you need to come with me,” a voice said from behind me. My hair stood on end as the cold in the winter air intensified to an extreme level. I whirled around to see a tall well built man in his early twenties. His feathery blonde hair played just above his emerald green eyes. He had strong features on his perfectly proportioned face. He took the black hood of his head as he strode closer. I tensed raising my fists ready to defend myself. Time seemed to flow slowly as he got closer, the air growing tense with each passing second. Soon enough he was to close for my comfort, so I pounced hoping to catch him off guard. Suddenly, with cat like reflexes he dashed to side causing me to loose my balance. I stumbled momentarily but quickly whirled around and was just about to attack again when the man rose his palm towards me. An icy blue orb of energy manifested for a split second and began to spew a hurricane of blue energy. It impacted with my feet and instantly turned to solid ice around them. Fear groped at my insides as I squirmed around like an animal in a trap, desperate not to loose my freedom.

 

“H h h how?” was all I could mutter as I glanced from the ice that encased my feet to the man in front of me.

 

“Honey, there is so much that you do not know about this world,” he sighed as he approached, pulling a small needle from his hoodie pocket, “you have so much potential and it is time for you to see it.” With that he jabbed the cold metal of the needle into my neck. I squirmed, attempting to resisted capture, but in the end it was futile. My mind betrayed me first. Thoughts grew scattered, like an unsolvable puzzle left behind to rot. Spots of black speckled my vision and my mind grew dizzy. Muscles turned numb and the darkness took over, stealing my conscious away temporarily from reality.

Amongst the fog of my mind, I saw vague illusions. Images of the ones I love the most. I saw my mother Laura telling me to get home safely after my night Mauy Tai class, a duty I did not manage today, her soft brown eyes filled with care and concern. My father Peter, stern but loving, encouraging me to study harder. He was convinced that I was to be the next big thing, noble prize worthy. Even in my state of unconsciousness I felt a twinge of guilt. My future for the first time in a while was uncertain. I had been dragged off into who knows where, slated for what had to be a tragic destiny. I would never venture into college, get a great job, or be the next Einstein. I knew I was probably still exaggerating, but still even thinking that a tiny sliver of this fact could be true, terrified me. One more image surfaced as the clouds in my head began to disappear. My heart skipped a beat just from the thought of him. Long brown hair tied up in a bun, a slight beard and a smile to die for. His hands rough, covered with old burns and scars from knives. The usual wounds for a chief. But the most noticeable where his blue eyes. Those intense oceans that had en-captured my heart only a short month ago. Joshua...

 

Suddenly I was ripped out my coma. A rush of adrenaline cascaded throughout my worn body. Heart racing and eyes wide I tensed up and took in my surroundings. I was in the middle of a large silver chromatic dome. The floor beneath me was as cold as ice and I was latched by large black restraints to a metal pole. I felt yet another needle leave my skin, I had the sinking feeling this was the first of many.

In my peripheral vision I saw two figures approaching. I cringed as they got closer, for one of them was  the blonde man who had been my captor. My eyes grew wider as I tried to scuttle back only to be stopped by the metal support behind me. The blonde let out a little snort, mocking me.

 

“Now do not be rude to our guest Zeta, she is scared and with good reason,” said his company. This was an older man, looking to be around his late fifties. He stood straight, perfect posture, with silver wispy hair that was combed back. He was skinny and wore a pure white lab coat, perfectly ironed from corner to corner.

 

“Ok ok Professor Cameron,” Zeta sighed as be begun to strut off “do you want me to activate the process?”

 

The professor glanced over to me his cold grey eyes meeting with mine. I felt a twinge of fear, this man may look gentle from afar but one look and you could feel how cold we was on the inside. “Of course, just give me a few moments with this one, I will be out shortly.” Zeta nodded and walked towards one of the silver walls. Pressing his hand against the cold surface a blue light swirled around it. There was a beeping sound and an entrance appeared in front of him. Stepping out, the door quickly closed behind him causing relief to course through my veins.

 

Professor walked close to me slowly, not breaking his icy gaze. My muscles tensed with every step and soon he was nose to nose with me. He seemed too analytical, a computer taking in information and making conclusions with each little observation. He knelt down and reached to stroke my cheek. Instinctively I jerked my head back so fast my neck muscles screamed with pain. He only smiled ever so slightly.

 

“Welcome to Cameron optics, the greatest genetics company in the world,” he whispered in my ear. Recognition immediately flared, I was a huge science nerd of course I knew who this was now. Professor Cameron, celebrated genetic engineer and founder of Cameron Optics, the giant in GMOs, copyrighting genes themselves.

 

 

“What do you want with me?” I questioned him, working up the courage to meet his stare.

 

“Well you see I have been trying many years to learn how to make my own super humans” he happily answered “and I have found a way, not quiet up to par with Captain America, but what I have found will do, but only certain people can survive the process.” I simply stared into his glassy smoke eyes and reclined into myself. I was simply an experiment, another lab rat that was at the mercy of what ever pseudo science this professor was attempting. No matter what I said or how much I struggled there was nothing I could do, my fate has been laid out for me and I reluctantly accepted it. The Professor smiled ever so slightly and started to walk away. Knowing full well his lamb had accepted its fate as a sacrifice.

 

As soon as the door closed behind the Professor the lights in the metal dome went out. The darkness gave me relief. For a short moment I could dwell in the nothing, return to a state of unconsciousness. My bliss did not last, after about of minute of black, lines of blue lights began to cascade down the walls of my prison. The dome itself groaned as it began to slowly rotate. To my dismay it began to pick up speed, revolving faster and faster with every second. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a little compartment open up and another needle lurched out attached to a mechanical arm. A glowing red liquid sat inside it. I clenched my teeth as metal made contact with my skin, releasing the strange concoction inside my system.

 

Immediately my insides began to explode. My body heated up immensely as pain radiated throughout every part of my body. The feeling only increased as the dome got faster and faster, the blue lines melting together. Not being able to keep my strength up and longer I loosened my clenched jaw and let out a howl of pain. My world began to blur and my head grew dizzy. The last thing I remembered was a lurching feeling in my stomach as my body radiated blue. After that the pain blossomed even more, my body grew numb quickly after and darkness greeted me as I fainted.

 

~Rain~

 

I stared at my reflection with intensity that resided in my glass of vodka. My mossy brown eyes riddled with dark circles from endless sleepless nights. My dirty blonde hair put up in a messy top not. All I felt was pure exhaustion, not just physical but mental too. The endless days of running from the professor had finally begun to catch up with me. I should have been more careful last year in Alberta, if I had not blown my cover I would not been running. Yet here I was stuck in the middle of Vancouver trying to hold down a job while keeping low. I pounded my fist on the wooden bar, attempting to keep my anger contained.

 

“You ok Miss?” the twenty something bar tender questioned as he whipped the counter close to me. I raised my head slowly and made quick eye contact with him.

 

“Uh yah, just a rough day I guess...” I shrugged “Having problems holding down a job.”

 

“I feel yah, before this one I was let off several jobs,” he spoke sympathetically “ what use is a business degree if no one will hire you.” I smiled for the first time in weeks, feeling the exhaustion lift a little.

 

“I have had my bachelor of science in Physics for two years and I have squat.”

 

“Man, if even the Science kids are not having any luck we are all in trouble.”

We both laughed, sharing a moment of pure humility between humans. For the first time in awhile I was making a connection. It felt nice, it is hard being separated from peers it eventually drives you a little mad. Even just this one moment helped lift my spirits. But it did not last long, a man wearing all black that I had been sitting beside all this time waved his hand in a gesturing motion. My ears pricked as the sounds of multiple stools being moved sounded and footsteps followed. For a split second I sat there frozen in time, the tension hanging in the air. In the corner of my eye I saw a fist coming for my head. Like lightning my hand flashed up and grabbed the wrist of the attacker. Red energy began to spew from my eyes and my hands. The man in black screamed as his hand began to sizzle and burn.

 

I let go quickly whirled around and slammed his head into the bar with brute strength. The pulsating red light forming into small rings that surrounding my arms and legs. Turning around, I faced the rest of the men sent to capture me. They all wore black with hoodies that covered their faces. At once they all pointed hand guns at me, most likely loaded with tranquilizers. All at once they fired in elegant synchronization. Raising my hand a wall of energy radiated in front of me. Repelling all of the bullets that flew towards me. Clenching my hand into a fist the shield grew smaller then exploded into their faces.Taking my chances I sprinted forward, jumping over one of the remaining men grabbing his shoulders and circled around him bringing him to the ground. I did a shoulder roll until I was standing and kept running. The door blew open at just a touch sending pieces of wood flying everywhere as I dashed out of the bar.

 

Shouting enveloped me as more hooded figures appeared out of the shadows. Concrete melted with each step, the sticky liquid capturing my feet slowing me down. My head began to radiate with pain as the heat in my body began to build. In the distance I saw a line of black men approaching. I silently cursed under my breath as I skidded to a halt and raised my fists. They all lunched at me. Quickly I slid under one of their outstretched legs, rose up and kicked him in the head. A punch was thrown, which I meet with my fore arm. The man howled in pain as his skin began to melt. I took the chance and punched him clean in the face knocking him out. More and more began to flood around me. Harnessing the heat that was stored in my body I closed my eyes and concentrated hard. The energy around my limbs turned to even bigger rings. I opened my eyes once more and slung them at my enemies. They wrapped themselves around their legs and bodies.

 

Multiple bodies fell around me followed with courses of screams. The smell of melting flesh entered my nose causing me to sneer. Relief flooded over me, I had won for now. So I began to jog away until a tingling sensation over took me. The air grew colder as my breath grew visible. Fear stroked every nerve of my being but I fought to keep my composure. I stopped in place and turned around to see David staring menacingly at me his sleeves rolled up revealing bare skin. From his finger tips to his elbows his skin was a ghostly white blue, the veins clearly visible.

 

“You cannot run forever Rain... I mean Beta, the Professor will have you,” he said audibly “all of his experiments come back to him.”

 

“I will never come back,” I hissed “ the next time I see him will be when I am burning his flesh off!!”

 

“Now don't get so hostile,” David shook his head “he gave you a gift, and anyways your sacrifice was voluntary.”

 

“I was desperate to save my sister,” I spoke loosing my hostility but still trying to hold my ground “ but David listen to your self, the man I once knew would never had willingly followed the professor, you are brainwashed!”

“And that is the way I like it,” David said emotionless as sparks of blue energy flew off his body “and the name is Zeta!” He began to approach slowly. I tightened my fists ready to fight but my body was waning. The burns on my limbs where begging to hurt. Not even I was immune to my own power. I launched a ring at David but he simply froze it in mid air. It broke instantly causing a shower of icy dust slightly distorting my vision.

 

Loosing hope I began to back up. The fear taking control of my conscious. I was done for, and this time there was no escaping. Out of nowhere a large dumpster flew from the right at David. He growled with anger as he turned around and sent a wall of ice to stop it in its tracks. Distracted he failed to notice another figure jump from a roof above. He landed right in front of me and pushed his hands in front of him. A telekinetic wave burst from the man's palms knocking David straight off his feet. From that moment I knew who this newcomer was. Only one person I knew possessed this kind of power and would come out of no where to save me.

 

“Malcolm,” I smiled as I saw the back of his familiar short brown hair, cut into a fade. It had been five years since we last saw one another.

 

“Yep Rain, but we can get reacquainted later,” Malcolm blurted out clearly concentrating hard “we just need to run like hell.” With that he swiped his hand to the left causing David to fly into a brick wall. Then he tightened his hand into a fist. David screeched in pain holding on to his head then suddenly went limb. Malcolm looked at me with a quick smile and we both dashed off running faster than we had in along time.

 

Me and Malcolm both sat quietly in his small apartment. His green eyes narrowing like they always do when he was in deep thought. He delicately held a wet cloth and dapped the burns on my arms. Each meeting of fabric and skin sending a jolt of pain over my being. I glanced down at my injuries, and they where pretty bad this time. Three ring shaped burns resided on my arm, bright red and covered with bloody sores. They would heal in a day or two, but it still hurt like hell.

 

“Where were your gauntlets,” Malcolm questioned out of the blue, clearly frustrated with me.

 

“Umm well, last year I was in Alberta and I blew my cover,” I mumbled “ The Professor’s goonies found me and when I was fighting them off I kind of broke them.”

 

“You broke them?!” he breathed trying to keep himself calm “and why did you not just build another pair?

 

“I have been running for months, plus I need specific supplies, that I do not have access to at the moment,” I retorted “anyways what are you doing back in Vancouver, and why did come find me?”

 

“I have been tracking the Professor's victims for years but now he has gone to far,” he sighed “I just got here when I sensed your presence and I kind of need your help for the heist I have planned.” I smiled slightly. We were finally going back to the good old days, traversing the country, vandalizing the Professor’s labs and getting up to no good.

 

“So what is the plan?”

 

“Well The Professor has gone to far, he just captured an eighteen year old.”

 

My eyes hardened as my excitement washed away. The professor was mad but I never thought he would go this far again. Especially since the last young subject went out of control. A twinge of guilt hit me as I dwelled in the past. Over how I had failed to protect her and had to be the end of my sister. As I started off into space, anger building, Malcolm rose up and retrieved an laptop. Opening it, its light flooded into the dim room. I squinted for a second and saw the picture that appeared on the screen. It was a young women, looked around eighteen, her olive porcelain skin had a glow to it. She had an oval face with high distinct cheek bones, with animal like hazel eyes. Her chestnut brown hair had teal streaks racing down her head, it curled and cascaded down her face. The name below the picture was Selena Dowers.

 

“She just disappeared out of the blue two days ago,” Malcolm sighed “my systems does an automatic check of medical records that the government has of everyone when people go missing, and she has the transition gene.”

 

“We cannot have another repeat of Lizzy,” I growled shooting up from my chair. The burns on my appendages protesting with pain as I rose.

 

“I know, but we cannot go for at least another week,” Malcolm spoke solemnly “that is when they have to update their security services, the best and only day for a break in.”

 

“But the girl would have already been turned by then,” I said, my voice raising.

 

“She is turned already Rain,” Malcolm retorted “I can sense it, all we can do is break her out before they whip her memory and brainwash the poor girl.”

 

“Fine whatever you think is best,” I sighed sinking back into the chair, exhaustion finally taking its toll on my body “I guess it gives me time to heal.”

 

“And time to make new gauntlets,” he said pulling bandages out of his first aid kit “I am not going to help clean up these nasty burns again.” I smiled weakly as Malcolm rolled his eyes and begun to wrap my arms in the white fabric. I tried to keep my hopes up but the situation was desperate. If the Professor was experimenting that young once more it meant that his serum was more stable. He was dangerously close to perfecting the process and starting normal human trials.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 2

~Selena~

 

I was gone for so long it felt like all I knew was darkness. A hazy nothing that consumed my very being. It was like I was floating. Eventually the black began to fade and a cascade of memories flooded into my conscious, warm and welcoming like the sunrise. First I saw the restaurant I served at, feelings of nervousness and stress was all I felt. Automatically I was able to place what period of time this took place. My first day at work, the first day I meet him.

 

I was struggling with a large rack of clean glasses. Carrying the heavy load up stairs. My foot hit a step and I began to fall, fear overcoming me. Freezing any bit of me. Before my intimidate “doom” came someone ran in and grabbed me by the waist. Pulling me like lightening to an upright position and grabbed the rack out of my arms. I stood tense and heart pounding.

 

“You ok?” the man asked effortlessly holding the rack in his arms.

 

“umm yah I think so,” I muttered “thanks...”

 

“No problem!” he smiled “my name is Josh by the way, yours?” His smile made me feel warm and butterflies flutter in my stomach. Light brown hair tied up in a thick bun, fly aways kept back by a black bandana. Scruff covered his well formed face but most noticeable was his eyes. They were the sea, and intense hue of blue that seemed to shine with happiness.

 

“Selena,” I managed to spit out, nervousness mutilating my voice a bit. He chuckled and began carrying my heavy load up for me.

 

“Don't worry Selena, if you need anything just ask me,” he called out behind him. I smiled and followed close behind all fear from the morning gone.

 

My vision faded, returning me to my purgatory. It was not long though until feeling began to rush back into existence. Once again I was violently ripped out of the darkness. My eyes fluttered open to a blinding florescent light. The surface beneath me was hard and cold through the thin fabric that grabbed onto my body. My body felt strange, my appendages numb, my stomach tingling. The previous courses of pain had vanished. Slowly I rose from the ground. I saw that I was positioned atop of a metal gurney in the middle of a pure white room. The walls padded as if to protect me from myself.

 

I swung my feet to the side and lifted myself to the ground. As soon as I stood up my head began to spin violently. Soon after nausea enveloped my stomach. I stumbled forward and fell to my knees. All I wanted was the pain to go away. I let out a small cry, strength failing. Next all I heard was cracking. My eyes widened when I realized their source, my bones. I could feel them breaking and reforming, and I saw my skin begin to ripple.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What is happening to me?” I whispered as if someone was there listening in on me.

 

I watched in awe as one arm grew green and scaly, and the other sprouted fur. Both of my hands began to grow long claws. My back grew heavy as something sprouted from my back. In the edge of my vision I saw feathers of large wings enter. I shrieked an inhuman noise, loosing control of my mind. I fell to the ground on my side, as another shot of pain erupted from my tail bone. The head ache grew as  every sense of mine began to drastically improve. A thousand scents and sounds entered and my sight grew clear and sharp.

 

Even in the midst of the internal chaos I noticed a door I had previously failed to notice open and my blonde captor, Zeta, enter. His presence was strong and cold. I instantly froze with fear, curling up into the fetal position. Every step he took, made my body feel more and more stiff. He smiled, looking down menacingly on me. I could not even feel any anger for I was in too much pain and confusion to react.

 

“The professor was right when he said your powers would have something to do with transformation,” Zeta said “your DNA is very versatile now but from the looks of you at the moment, unstable.”

 

“Why??” was all I could let out. My voice dry and cracking.

 

“For the future, for innovation, for science,” Zeta spoke, his eyes lightening up with pride “The Professor has big plans for you Selena, you are our youngest subject, and one step closer to the biggest breakthrough in history.”

 

“Also you will answer to the name Subject Tau no,” He spoke as he knelt down beside me and stroked my chestnut brown hair. His touch made me flinch, breaking the disoriented state I was trapped in. With bones still shifting and head pounding I launched my self of the ground with astonishing speed. Pummelling a surprised Zeta to the ground I pinned him with unnatural strength down. My claws slid into his skin like it was butter, and blood oozed out of the wounds. A growl rumbled from deep in my throat as fangs slide from the top of my mouth. The look of alarm in his face quickly faded into amusement. His eyes glowed blue as sparks flew from them. Before I could even have a second to react ice started to crawl up my arms. The cold substance squeezed onto my skin. Crying out I lost my adrenaline rush and slumped down, stuck in place because of the ice. Laughing Zeta lifted his legs and kicked me off him, the ice breaking away. I hit the ground hard, having the wind knocked out of me. I heaved for air as I tried to crawl away. He simply stood up and placed his foot on my back. A feeling of numbness soared throughout me, causing me to lie down, energy sapped from every muscle.

 

“You really do have potential Tau,” Zeta said analytically “we just need to break you and take your memories before you can be useful.”  I knew now that it was useless to struggle. I was drained of energy and obviously over powered by him. So I simply lay on the ground, limp and obedient. That was when another figure entered my prison. I tilted my head slightly ands was able to make out what the new comer looked like.

 

It was a first nations women, with glowing copper skin and silky black hair tied back in a tight bun with long bangs free. Her face sharp and stern but beautiful with mossy brown eyes. She wore a black jump suit with round metallic detailing, on her body, gloves and boots. She walked quickly in small tight strides. She was only a few inches shorter than the 6 foot 3 Zeta, making her even more menacing. She headed straight for Zeta a cross look overcoming her face. I felt pressure lift off my back as Zeta stepped back an annoyed look on him.

“Zeta I told you to prepare the subject for trials, not attack the subject!” she spat, clearly at the last bit of patience with her companion.

 

“Sorry Iota, she attacked me,” Zeta mumbled turning away from me, making relief flood through my body.

 

“Whatever, lets just get her to the testing chamber before Professor blows a casket,” Iota sighed “the older that man gets the less patience he has.” Zeta grunted and faced me once more, reaching down he grabbed my arm tightly and yanked me to my feet. I growled in protest but made no other defiant moves, scared of what he would inflict on me. Iota hovered over my shoulder, avoiding the wings that dragged on the ground. She came close to my ear, but never making contact with me.

 

“If you want to revert to normal, just try to breath,” she whispered “stress always seems to exemplify the subjects abilities.” Grateful for the advice and desperate to stop the shifting skin and bones, I inhaled and exhaled several times. Forcing my rapid beating heart and racing mind to calm. Relief was all I could feel as the weight on my back disappeared and the skin on my arms reverted back to the black material which I was wearing. Iota smiled and slunk ahead and began to walk towards the exit. Pulling me with him, Zeta followed.

 

Silence hung heavy in the air as we walked. Every part of this building seemed identical, all monochromatic hallways that twisted and turned in seemingly random ways. Being trapped in this complex could easily drive any mind insane. Which is what I was starting to feel, until we suddenly stopped. Iota reached out and placed her glove covered hand on the shiny wall. Out of nowhere the outlines of a door appeared and the doors slid open. What was revealed was a large gymnasium like room. With a room on the other end visible through glass walls The floors where black and padded and the walls shone the characteristic silver of the entire building. Besides that it was oddly empty. Without a word Zeta pushed me into the room and finally let go of his vice grip on my arm. I stumbled slightly not used to having to carry my own weight but quickly regained balance. I turned around and spotted the two entering the isolated room. They slammed the door behind them and its outline disappeared into the make of the wall.

 

“Before we can do anything we have to see what you are made of Tau,” Iota's voice rang out through an intercom. Slightly surprised I scanned the ceiling searching for the elusive technology that produced the noises. The room began to rumble taking me by surprise. Heart pounding and muscles tensing I was ready for what was coming my way.

 

The floor opened up in front of me and a dozen figures rose from the gapping hole. All of them were men with bulging muscles showing through the black jumpsuits everyone here seemed to wear. Except there was an addition of black hoods that covered their bald head. Finally all of their faces where covered by a tight black mask. My eyes flew from each man, judging their strengthens and weaknesses, only then did I notice something. Each body looked identical, face shapes the same and clothing identical. I was not sure if it was because of my enhanced vision or I was just hallucinating, but it was creepy none the less. A blaring alarm sounded over the pa for a split second and the men instantly charged. I could easily take on or two men, but a dozen was madness. So I turned tail and ran. Shortly I was cut off by one of the silver walls. Cursing under my breath I turned to face my opponents. There was no where to run, I had to fight. Letting out my own war cry I sprinted forward, not exactly sure of what I was doing. Then it qued in I did not have to fight tooth and nail, I had this strange new ability. Earlier it all happened at once, put of my control, but maybe I could trigger the transformation.

 

“Lets see, an animal that is fast and slick,” I spoke out loud to encourage my self. That was when the image of a cheetah flashed in my mind. Grabbing hold of the image, I concentrated hard on it. Imagining its long legs, intricate spots and pure speed. As I expected my bones began to shift slightly, ears grew bigger, nose turning into a snout, tail sprouting, and skin growing spotty. Even in the midst of pain from transformation I still ran forward, still keeping my mind clear and concise. As the men got closer I realized I would not be able to transform fully in time. As the men surged forward I stopped the process half way through and  raced on. To my surprise I moved with astonishing speed. I was only half feline, but that was all I needed to use the animals abilities.

 

The first two men lunged at me with a punch. Easily I dashed under their arms and rose up behind them. Grabbing their heads I smashed the pair together, quickly knocking them out cold. I could feel the presence of more aggressive bodies behind me. Letting out a small snarl I Jumped in the air, doing a  flip and landing on the shoulders of the nearest man. Claws ready I raked them against his face, but the man made no sound, only flailed his arms trying to knock me off. Grunting I pushed my self of him with such force that we stumbled back knocking over one of his companion. Upon landing delicately on the ground I was surrounded. All at once they charged, fists flying. I weaved and dodged each punch inhumanly fast. Throwing my own elbows and jabs, knocking a few out. One fist almost reached my face but I grabbed it viscously. Picturing an elephant small tucks grew out of my checks, while the rest of the cat like features stayed. Baring fangs and growling I twisted the arm. Bones cracking yet this man also made no sound. Frustrated and still holding the appendage I lifted him with it and banged the body on the ground, the other men flinched slightly giving me my chance. Gathering up my energy I twirled the limp body in the air and let him go. He came crashing into three of his comrades leaving them in an unconscious heap on the ground from the sheer force of my throw.

 

Now only one man remained. Not even phased by the brutal take down of his companions he ran towards me. It was as if these minions were simply drones programed to fight. Forcing the rest of my adrenaline through my body I also ran, meeting his challenge. With pure animal like rage we collided, we both should have been flung backwards but I stood stern, unmoving. On the other hand, the man flew back and and made impact with the wall, slightly denting it. I finally began to breath again, the rush in my bones fleeting. Slowly the animal features faded as I inhaled and exhaled calmly. Before I could think I heard the man lying against the wall scuffling, trying to stand. I pivoted in spot and approached him. He was almost on his feet, but I flashed a kick in his gut, ensuring he would stay down. With no words to exchange I simply knelt down and stared at the mask. Curiosity filled me, enticing my hand to reach forward and slide the fabric of his face. Upon seeing him I screamed and  stumbled back. All that there was to see was a nose and chocolate coloured skin. There were only slight indents where eyes and a mouth should have been. I pure shock I raced around the room pulling off masks, each fallen man bore the same identical empty faces. Screaming again I fell to my knees, the shock overcoming me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~Rain~

 

I rarely ever dream, but when I do it is memories. More specifically flashbacks with her in it, my younger sister of four years Lizzy. That night I feel asleep quickly, the pain from the burns already faded but my body wasted. As I slept those dreams welcomed me. I was running across the UBC campus, making my way through the silent university. Up ahead the science centre loomed, bright lights flashing through its windows. It may already be too late. Now I was sprinting, desperate to save my little sister form being a lab rat. I tore open the doors, sending them slamming against the wall and ran down the stairs. Bashing into the biggest of the Biology labs, there was Blair Cameron staring through a glass wall into his makeshift testing room. He was 21 like me, his raven black hair slicked back each strand perfectly in place. His steely eyes staring aimlessly out into the abyss. The blaring lights from earlier had faded, which is what worried me the most. I stomped up to Blair and grabbed him by his shirt collar.

 

“Where is Lizzy,” I screamed into his ear, but he simply stared off into nothing. Not being able to control my temper any longer I let go and punched him square in the jaw. He simply stumbled back and stared me with an icy glare. Anger turned into pain as tears begun to spew out of my eyes. “Where is my little sister?”

 

No clear emotion was plastered on Blair's face, which only happens when he failed on of his experiments. I walked closer trying to force back the tears. Flinching back, he nodded his head to the room through the glass. Leaving the empty man behind I whirled around and ran to the glass. Pressing my forehead against it I stared inside. It was a disaster zone, the once metallic room was now pure black and smoking. No sign that there has been any one inside except for a white outline of a women against one of the walls. Lizzy was gone, burnt to a crisp. Letting out a cry of distress I took a few steps back until I spotted Blair trying to sneak out. This quickly turned the tide of my emotions. I dashed towards him. Grabbing the fabric of his lab coat I tossed him easily to the ground and pressed my foot on his chest.

 

“What went wrong Blair,” I hissed. For a minute nothing came out of his mouth. He just defiantly stared me down. Losing my patience, I pressed harder. “I am done with your bullshit, I do not mind breaking a few ribs if I have to!”

 

“The experiment was working,” Blair coughed out, his voice shaky “but she was to young, her cells not fully stabilized, she flickered away.”

 

“What do you mean she flickered away!!” I said the volume of my voice rising “you fried her to a crisp, did you not see what that room looks like now.”

 

“It was just her shadow,” he giggled a hint of madness in his eyes “she is still here hiding.” I was about to press harder on his body but then in the corner of my eye I saw movement.

 

I turned around and saw Lizzy's outline in the shadows. Except something was wrong, there was only black, and white glowing eyes. I reached out in an attempt to touch her but my hand rushed through the smoky shape. She reached out also but not coming close to my skin. A feeling of sadness radiated off the figure. A stray tear raced down my cheek as we stood there motionlessly. A strained whisper rattled through my cranium, I am not gone. With that the shadow rose its arms and the building began to vibrate. A loud crack sounded above me and a piece of ceiling come falling above me. Reacting quickly, I jumped backwards out of the way, landing on my bottom. Each second the ground below me shook more and more viciously.

 

Getting the signal, I scrambled to my feet and raced for the door, grabbing Blair by the arm. He stumbled slowly behind me as we ran through the building, me forcing him to go faster. Dodging pieces of furniture and building that came at us. Each piece of object that flew was covered in shadow before it flew. Soon the exit came into sight but the ground before us had crumbled away Pulling together all my remaining strength I jumped before the crevice got even larger. Landing just at the edge we both made for the door quickly. As soon as we got out and a decent distance from the crumbling structure, I threw Blair to the ground. With no protest he simply sat up and stared into the inky sky. Not a star was visible in the black ocean that night.

 

“She is uncontrollable, unpredictable and dangerous,” he laughed “she will kill the guilty and innocent, destroy lives and cities, then she will disappear into the nothingness as her cells detangle.”

 

“And no one can stop her,” I sighed not having the energy to be angry any more.

 

“Almost...”

 

“If I go through your process too, would I be able to stop my sister?”

 

“Who knows, anything is possible now,” Blair replied craning his neck as if he was trying to spot something in the sky. An elusive object floating in the void that only that made could witness. Not knowing what to do any more I joined him at looking up at the sky. I didn't even blink when a rain drop hit my nose. Then another and another. Soon we were consumed by an Irish rain the awoke the quiet night. That was the third time in my life that I witnessed such a rain. The first when my sister was born, the passing of my mother. The second the car crash when I was a senior in high school and my father was taken from me. Now it was 1980, my sister, the last light in my life had flickered away. And the rain bombarded the earth as if the sky was crying in mournful strides as my soul broke.

 

The visions of the past faded abruptly as I was torn from sleep. I rose quickly out of the thin sheets on Malcolm's couch. Breathing heavily and heart beating like a train I took in my surroundings. I was still in Malcolm's crappy apartment. The entire room shrouded in the darkness. Trying to calm my self I investigated my arms. The once white bandages were now charred and beginning to fall off my skin, luckily no more burns had been inflicted. The stress of my dream must have caused me to loose control of my powers once again. Delicately I picked up the sheets and saw that an least half of the fabric was burned away. Slightly cringing I put them down and got out of my makeshift bed. I found a window and sat on the sill, glancing out into the dark blue light polluted sky. Trying to shake off the feelings the dream had given me I rested my face against the glass pane. Behind me I heard the door crack open and foot steps.

 

“Another dream?” Malcolm spoke as he leaned against the wall beside me.

 

“Yah, I can never seem to shake them off,” I sighed curling up into my self.

 

“Its been five years and some things never change,” Malcolm said almost laughing to himself. I let out a small smile, trying not to let him see it.

 

 

“Others have though, I cannot believe Blair got David,” I said mournfully still continuing my gaze at the empty night sky.

 

“It was kind of his fault,” Malcolm contemplated “ once the three of us split up there was no one to keep that cocky mess in line, he was bound to get caught while raiding a lab.”

 

“I know, but I still miss him nether the less,” I said “I just cannot believe the professor would kidnap so young, eighteen just beginning your life.”

 

“I can, he is a mad man,” Malcolm spat “but all this is why we have to stop him once and for all, that man cannot make it it subject Omega.”

 

“Then he will make it to regular human trials.” I concluded stepping away from the window “he will have an army... we need to stop him.”

 

For decades I had watched the professor experiment on the Innocent. While he aged and I stayed frozen in time as a result of the process. Me, Malcolm and David had spent years do little things to trip up the professor. Raiding labs, deleting important files and saving people that were kidnapped. We had never actually been able to stop him in the long run though, If we were to do that we needed man power.

 

“Malcolm after we save this girl, we need to fight.” I said sternly staring into his eyes “we have to end the professor before it is to late.” He simply nodded in agreement and joined me in my staring contest with the sky. Both of us remaining completely silent as we processed all that had happened and what was to come.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 3

~Selena~

 

They had to half drag me to my new room, not because I was resisting, but because the shock that coursed through my body was so raw I could no longer function. Zeta grunted angrily as he tugged on my arm, motioning for me to move faster. Yet I still stumbled along, dazed. Iota walked briskly ahead looking back every so often. Even though she saw that her companion was clearly struggling with me she stayed away, keeping her distance. She always seemed to avoid contact, avoiding me, Zeta and any one who just so happened to be running around in this maze of a building. I could not tell if she was a germophobe or simply did not want to be touched, but either way it was obvious from the way she slide and swerved around every living body. Like a magnet trying to stay away from another of the same polarity. Concentrating on one thing seemed to help with my shock as I slowly felt my body returning to me as I studied Iota.

 

Iota stopped in place and placed her hand of the wall. Yet again another door made its appearance out of thin air and slide open. Still perplexed at the fact these people could find there way around this place I stood up straight and followed Zeta into the room. The relief at not having to drag me everywhere clearly radiated off him as he lead me in. The small bedroom looked identical to a college dorm room. Two twin beds, two desks, and little storage space and charm. The only difference was there was actually room to stretch your legs and a door that lead to a bathroom. The fact that there was another bed slightly worried me. I was normally not good with people, especially roommates of any sort. There was a reason I never shared a room with my sister growing up. Zeta look go of his stone grip and walked behind me and out the door leaving only me and Iota. She was standing straight, her posture perfect, glaring at me.

 

“I think it is time you deserve some answers Tau,” she said completely straight faced, I simply nodded not sure if talking would anger her or not, “ first off you have been chosen for a great cause.” I raised my eye brow slightly not being able to picture how being kidnapped and put through hell could be helping anyone.

 

“You see our armed forces are having trouble fighting for peace, but what we have discovered will save us all,” she continued on, completely ignoring me “the serum can grant great powers to the user and help the army save countless lives, but it is not perfected and a the moment only certain people can withstand the process. You are one of those people containing the transition gene, and the youngest too”

 

“And how exactly is testing it on all of us going to help,” I questioned her, trying to help myself better understand who I was up against.

 

“The more times we run the process the more we can see its effects on the body and eventually find out enough to make it safe for everyday usage, we predict by subject Omega we will have it solved. But enough about the project more about you,” She paced closer to me, every step she took made me feel a little sick to my stomach, a strange presence radiating off her “Everyday you will report for testing and training in the gymnasium, then you are free to wonder and mingle as you please, just please do not try to get out.” Distracted by her stern words I missed her toss a watch at me until it appeared in motion in my vision. I stumbled forward just catching it. “Put that on, it will help you find your way around this maze, oh and feel free to make your way to the common room today to.” With that Iota slunk passed me and exited the room, the metallic doors sealing shut behind her.

 

I simply stood in place staring at the door, the gears in my mind cranking as I tried to piece together the puzzle that was my situation. Then it clicked, common room Iota had mentioned, there must be others there. Peers that I can talk to and figure out what to do and what exactly is going on. Latching the small watch onto my wrist I clicked it on with a tap to the screen. All that appeared was a map that had each room labeled. Smiling I placed my hand into the cold surface of the door, causing it to groan open. Trying not to grow attention to myself I slunk through the hall ways. They told me it was safe to wonder but I did not believe them for a second, in fact everything Iota said to me seamed like bullshit. Experimenting on innocents was nonethical no matter what the cause was, it was not just science. Imagining that someone could even think to abuse our human privilege of knowledge made me visibly cringe. Deep in thought I followed the small map subconsciously. I paused at the wall where the common room was supposed to be stationed. Glancing up for a quick second I noticed a small red light turning on and off, indicating that a potential entrance was stationed here.Mimicking Iota's actions from earlier I placed my palm against the metallic surface. In response blue glowed around my hand and a door appeared and slid open.

 

The common room was enormous. One section had multiple tables and a buffet close to them. The other side held multiple couches, chairs and coffee tables. Multiple people milled around, eating socializing or playing board games. Timidly I walked in glancing from side to side. The smell of macaroni and cheese floating into my nose causing my stomach to growl. All of the energy from the day made me completely forget about my hunger. Falling in the short line I grabbed onto a plate and waited until I could get my meal. A little twinge of excitement filled me at the thought of the delicious meal in front of me. Raising my spoon to my mouth I was just about to bite down when a voice rang out behind me.

 

“It is a newbie!!” a girl yelled as she appeared from behind me and sat to my right. I levitated for a second as surprise grabbed me. She was shorter than average and had long curly blonde hair. It was tied in a pony tail that was huge because of the pure thickness of her hair. Her big blue eyes sparkled  as her smile took up half of her pretty face. Like everyone in this establishment, she wore a black jump suit.

 

“My name is Rho!” she said, making herself comfortable behind me, placing her own bowl of macaroni beside mine “what is your name?”

 

“Selen.... sorry I mean Tau.” I blurted out, eyes darting from wall to wall in alarm that I may have been heard. I gaze landed upon Rho's face, instead of distress I detected a small smile on her face.

 

“Its ok girl we all slip up like that, keep saying Tau but remember who you really are,” she padded me on the back and turned her head back, craning it in an attempt to find someone, “Hey Sigma, get over here, she has potential.” Without warning another body plumbed itself to my other side with its food. I turned my head and saw a man sitting beside me. He has beautiful brown skin and chocolate coloured eyes. His black hair was perfectly in place a bit up it jutted straight up to the sky. He was handsome and had one of those stupid half smiles.

 

“So you still have your memories?” he whispered, obviously trying to keep low key.

 

“Um yah,” I spoke silently, still not sure if I could trust these two or not.

 

 

“Perfect, they only erase a few memories right away, but it eventually happens to all of us.” he said staring me straight in the eyes “we are the only three in this room that can still remember.”

 

“We have both been here two weeks, it is usually after a month that our heads are messed with,” Rho added in

 

“We already know everything here is bullshit and you seem to know that to.” Sigma spat.

 

“And how would you know that?” I questioned him, growing a little suspicious.

 

“He is telekinetic!' Rho piped in once again “he can read emotions and mess with them” Rolling his eyes Sigma made eye contact again and continued on with his speech.

 

“Look, believe me or not but this whole organization is corrupt and we would very much like to get out before we lose our memories.” he said sternly.

 

“Ok, say I do believe you, how do we get out?” I said keeping my cool, I refused to let my nervousness show.

 

“Well we have not exactly figured that would yet...” Rho trailed off “but we will come up with something.”

 

“Look, I know you are nervous, but you need to trust us if we are going to get out,” Sigma butted in “just do not believe anything that these people tell you.” With that the pair slunk away, leaving me alone again. Feeling slightly violated from Sigma getting into my head like he did. I stared straight ahead. Mind racing, trying to figure my next move would be. Is Cameron Optics to be trusted or are these two conspirators I found muttering the truth into my ear?

 

~Rain~

Impatiently I pounded my fist against the large hunk of technology that enclosed my entire right arm. For a split second it lit up its glorious yellow, groaning to life. The excitement fleeted away quickly as the machine died once again. I slowly inhaled and exhaled, attempting to keep my overbearing temper at bay. Yet my skin began to heat up, overflowing my gauntlets with energy, they sparked and short circuited. Letting out a small cry I tore it off my hand and quickly sat up from my seating position at the small dining table.

 

“F**k!” I hissed whipping my red hand back and forth, trying to relief myself of the dull pain. Standing still, staring at the useless hunk at metal sitting on the wood. The inanimate object taunted me. My mind had grown dull over the years of no sleep and endless running.

 

“Are you ok?” Malcolm's voice rang out from behind me. I jumped from the sudden disturbance in my concentration and turned around slowly. Malcolm was haggard, his eyes ringed with black and glassy. He has spent another all-nighter on his computer. Most likely trying to hack Cameron Optics systems.

 

“Um yah, ok...” I sighed plumping myself on the chair and resting my chin on my hand.

 

“The gauntlets still not working for you?”

 

 

“Yah, I really appreciate all of the supplies,” I sighed, pushing them to the side “I just cannot think anymore, all I can imagine is that poor girl.”

 

“Does she remind you of Lizzy?” Malcolm questioned sitting across from me. I simply stared up and locked eyes with him. The forests that where his pupils still shone with understanding even under the ice of fatigue. I have known him from the very beginning and he has always been so personable. Always knowing when something was wrong and making sure that I was ok. Never asking for anything in return. He reached, grabbed my gauntlets, and pulled them back in front of me. “Just keep going Rain, you have not lost any knowledge, you just need to concentrate.”

 

“Thanks Malcolm, where would I ever be without you,” I smiled grabbing the metal and beginning to tinker with them once again.

 

“Probably drunk in a bar somewhere,” he smiled and quietly slipped out of the room. To leave me to my work.

 

Feeling a bit better I slid the gauntlet back onto my hand. Inhaling and exhaling I directed all attention to my task. Erasing all thoughts from the past temporarily. Very quickly I realized what was wrong. I flipped a panel open and twisted some screws and cables around, the heat capacity component had been broken. Hoping I had actually made my gauntlets correctly I flipped the switch and began to release heat from my arm. The machine groaned, lit up and a bright red light formed around it. For the first time in five years, my powers not giving me any pain. I gave off a few fake punches, whips of the red energy flying off with each one. All I could do was smile as I ran to the closet and pulled out the other gauntlet and quickly tinkered with it. Now bearing two pieces of my armour I finally felt complete once more, the heat not getting the better of me anymore.

 

My bliss was short lived. My insides slowly began to feel hotter and hotter. My skin glowing a faint red. Grunting I hunched over, not being able to support my full weight. Sparks began to fly out of my legs causing me to begin to stumble. My heart began to race and brain ache as if a fire was burning on my insides causing everything to hurt. Suddenly a flare of fire like energy flared from my legs, I screeched in pain and fell to the floor, a single tear racing down my cheek but evaporating before it left my face. Malcolm appeared out of no where at full speed, responding to my cries of distress. His eyes washed over by panic as he witnessed me lying there, burning from the outside in. He dashed to the closet and pulled out two other metallic objects that looked similar in design to my gauntlets. He cautiously approached me and knelt down. Sliding the objects onto my legs he looked me deep in the eyes.

 

“What do I fix to make these work,” he asked trying not to look slightly panicked, but I could not reply “Come on Rain, I am a computer science major, not physics and engineering like you.”

 

“The heat capacitor needs to be tightened and reconfigured,”  I coughed trying to keep conspicuousness “easy...” He nodded and reached for the panels sliding them open one after another he quickly worked at my leg braces and activated them. The machines groaned to life and in tow the sparks where drawn into them. The pain and heat instantly faded. I blinked furiously, trying to clear the tears. I began to slowly raise from my seated position, Malcolm swooping in to help as I stumbled on my journey.

 

“I knew this would happen eventually,” he sighed “you where the second subject ever, you are the most unstable, some day your powers would get out of whack.”

 

“Well I am sure as hell thankful you are prepared,” I grunted “I was too proud to ever consider things would get this bad.”

 

“This is another reason why we need to break into the lab,” Malcolm said flatly “I think he has a serum to stabilize our powers, and if we do not get it both of us will be consumed by our abilities, just like Lizzy was.”

 

“Do not bring her into this!” I lashed out, releasing my self from his grip, then I paused “Wait so this mission is about getting the serum, not the girl?”

 

“No! She is an objective to...” Malcolm trailed off  “she was just more of a way to entice you in, you would never approach that place again without good motivation, you were too proud to think you needed the serum.”

 

“You conniving mother f****r,” I hissed backing up, still slightly shocked by Malcolm. He was a calculating person, but not cold like the professor. He simply stood, not moving a muscle.

 

“Look the only reason that I lied was that I was worried about you,” he spoke quietly “ I just could not see you fade away like all of the others...” His voice trailed off and he cast his gaze at the ground. After all these years I had never know that Malcolm had felt that strongly for me. Enough to go behind my back and lie for my own protection. It was still pretty messed up what he did, but I could never stay mad at him for long. I rushed out of my chair and hugged him, his body loosening in my embrace.

 

No words were spoken as we stood there, frozen in time. Melting into one another. A single tear slid down his check. I swiped it from his face, not wanting to see my portrait shadowed by melancholy. His eyes meet mine and he smiled. All of his boundaries melting in this somber night. Washing away with the rain, disappearing in wisps that dissolved into the horizon. Leading to the sun to finally rise again.

 

 

 

 

 

 



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 4

~Selena~

 

I stood in the middle of the gymnasium, awaiting my next trial. I had arrived on time, yet no one else seemed to be present. Fuming with impatience I kept searching the room. The door slide open with ease in front of me. My gaze floated over to the new arrival, to my surprise Rho appeared, alone. She looked equally confused seeing my in the training room, all of her sessions must have been individual until now. She jogged up to me, her face stern.

 

“Where you expecting me?” she questioned me “because I was certainly not ready to see your face here.” I shook my head, the suspicion growing larger inside of me. Without warning a voice sounded from all corners of the room.

 

“Subject's Rho and Tau,” Iota's voice rang out “today you two will be fighting one another, the first to be knocked out is the loser.” With that her presence faded, leaving the two of us alone. Rho's face was somber, and stare blank. Without a word she lunged at me with a punch.

 

With my fast instincts I grabbed onto her fist. There was no time to argue, we may be allies, but this fight had to happen. Skin growing dry and tusks growing, I summoned an unnatural strength and flung her small body across the room. Thinking she was done, for Rho was heading for a crash course with the wall, I began to back up. But instead of crashing against the metal, her eyes glowed purple and a portal opened behind her. She disappeared along with it as it quickly closed. A thousand curse words flew around in my mind as I franticly searched for her. No matter how hard I searched, I missed her, as Rho appeared behind me and slammed into me. Feet firmly planted, we simply slid across the ground, some of it being torn up as we sailed along. She landed lightly and punched me in the gut. I coughed up a bit if blood as I flew backwards. A purple light consumed me, blinding all vision.

 

When the glowing faded I was on the other end of the gym and crashed into the concrete. Amongst the pile of rubble I rose slowly. My wounds slowly beginning to close. She smirked as I approached. Large feline like claws erupted from my figures and teeth sharpened. Springing forward she meet my claws with blades that were attached to her wrists. We clashed our weapons in swift movements. The sound of metal clanging with each stroke echoed through out the room. Getting Rho caught up in our dance, I kicked her in the gut, she flew back, but kept her footing. While she was in dismay, I rushed with astounding speed to her and slashed, taking some skin from her side with me. Wincing, Rho shot her arms straight down, the blades fell revealing that they were attached to some sort of wire. A portal opened behind her and she shot one blade inside. It began to retract and she disappeared inside the pink haze.

 

This time I would not let her sneak up on me. A few moments latter her scent wafted into my nose. I twirled around and looked up to see that the blade has been attached to the ceiling and she was hanging waiting to pounce. She let go just before my eyes met with hers. As she fell I tightened my muscles and leaped into the air. My fists grew hard with plates like an armadillo, and with ease I collided with her small form. Hands meeting with stomach. A bit of blood came out of her mouth and body growing limp. And intense adrenaline that had been coursing through me grew only stronger. While still in mid air I grabbed into her and made sure she was the one to receive the impact.

 

We both landed together into the ground. Her body colliding with the concrete, sending rubble flying everywhere. I was left unscathed, but Rho's body was rittled with scars and bruises. As I stood, the energy coursing through my body faded away. An odd haze that filled my vision and mind also dissipated causing me to look down on what I had done. Her small body looked so broken, laying there motionless in the aftermath. Guilt flooded me and I tried to help her up, but a voice rang out from the PA.

 

“Tau, that is enough,” I could hear Iota's voice ringing in my eardrums “she will be ok, but you need to leave.” I was about to protest, but simply sauntered away, not wanting to know the consequences of disobeying orders.

 

As I excited then room, I saw two figures coming in and removing Rho's body from the gymnasium. My gut felt heavy, for I already deduced what may be happening to her. There had to be a reason for this battle, what else would they do to her then erase her memory, she served no use with it.  I turned my head away from the scene and made an effort to exit as fast as I could. Trying to escape the guilt. Yes I had to fight her, but not injure Rho as much as I did. It was like I had lost all control of myself in the heat of the moment. Deep in thought, I did not notice the shadowy figure following me. To my surprise hands wrapped around me and slammed me against the wall. They snaked up to my neck, grabbing hold. The adrenaline returned, turning my head hazy once more, but I worked to suppress it. I blinked a few times to clear my vision. Sigma's anger filled face came into view.

 

“What did you do to her!” he questioned with pure rage “I can feel all that guilt bottled up inside of you, what did they do!”

 

“They forced us to fight,” I replied, keeping my calm “what else were we do to?” His anger quickly fleeted and eyes grew heavy.

 

“Sorry, I just get really worried about her,” he sighed “and I know now that she is probably being set up to loose her memory right now...”

 

“How do you know that?” I asked massaging my strained neck.

 

“We have seen it before, two people being called to training and one always leaving with their memory whipped.” he spoke silently “it is usually how it happens, but they are never called in for a few months, I am confused why they would call you in when you have only been here for such a short time.”

 

“Maybe it is because they want to get their experiments moving faster,” I deduced “they may be under strain from someone or something threatening them” Before Sigma could reply we both looked up as the sounds of foot steps approached us.

 

Sigma cursed under his breath and grabbed his hand onto my shoulder. He pressed the other onto my mouth, to keep me quiet. My instincts were screaming at me to run, but something kept me still. A feeling of calm rushed into my body like a wave. It felt out of place, this feeling was foreign, yet I let it take over. Two men rounded the corner, fully clothed in black, just like the faceless men I had battled my first day in this prison. They should off seen us as they passed by, yet they were oblivious to our presence. As if the two of us had faded into nothing, invisible o the naked eye. We waited until the footsteps drifted off into the distance. When there was no longer any sound, Sigma let go, of my body and mind. My emotions washed back to their slightly panicked state, the threshold being passed for me to be calm.

 

“I thought you could only manipulate emotions?” I questioned Sigma who was staring off into the dark corridor.

 

“It is not just emotion, it is with the mind,” he said “but my powers are mainly having control over other's sensation and perception of the world around them.”

 

I was just about to open my mouth to ask a question when Sigma grabbed my wrist. Without word he started to move forward. I didn't protest as a feeling of reassurance settled in my stomach. I was unsure wether to interpret this emotion as my own or not, but I let it be. Sigma seemed to be here to help, and oddly I trusted him. So we winded through the dark hallways. Quickly but quietly, foxes lingering throughout the menacing forest. Suddenly Sigma let go of me and stopped in place. It was so sudden that I just nearly avoided running into his hard body. He gave me a quick glance and placed his finger to his mouth. I nodded, anticipation growing to see what he was to reveal to me. Sigma placed his hand hand to the door and it slide open to my surprise.

 

“I swiped a guards watch,” he whispered “access to any were in the building, very convenient.”

 

Without another word, he slipped into the dark room. I followed close in tow, lights turning on as we  entered, illuminating the room. It was all bare metallic walls except for one large chamber in the middle. Tubes snaked in and out of it and blue lights glowed in fixed intervals. Sigma approached it and pressed his hand on the cold surface. There was a small groan of machinery and the metal on the tube slid away, revealing an unconscious man, visible through the glass. He has beautiful chocolate coloured skin, well built body and a shaven head. His face stern and square. I could not shake the feeling that I recognized this man. Confusion ridden I got even closer and almost pressed my face against the pane. That was when it clicked. I held back a gasp as I stumbled backward. His face was the same as the faceless warriors that I fought, except he possessed these normal human features.

 

“This is our fate,” Sigma's voice rang out from behind me “imprisoned, dehumanized and used as a weapon. Epsilon or should I say Seamus was a person to until he was captured. I did not know him, but what does it matter, he is still one of us.”

 

All I could do was stare at the limp body what once held a soul. His skin that once must have shone, was growing a hue of grey. Tubes and Ivs stuck into his skin left and right, pumping liquids into his body. That was when I made my decision, I would help Sigma get out of this hell hole. I could not trust Cameron Optics, they were monsters. Regaining my mind I meet eyes with Sigma, both of us stern and angry.

 

“I will help you get out of here, starting with saving Rachel,” I spat, clenching my fists.

 

“Perfect, but first call me Cyrus,” he smiled “there is no reason to hide anymore right Selena?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~Rain~

 

All I could see was red as all feeling in my body evaporated into nothing. Darkness covered every corner of my vision, but I refused to let it take me. I needed my mind throughout this procedure, I no longer trusted Blair. Not after all of the pain that he had caused me. All of that pain, mental and now physical ripped throughout my body. It felt like every organ was being ripped and sawed at. A scream mounted in my throat, but I held it back. I was too strong willed to let Blair see what he was really doing to me. After what seemed like an eternity the pulsating light dissipated away as the metal hoops that encased me stopped rotating. I glanced down at my body and just noticed a red hue on my skin that quickly faded. All that was left was an eerie silence that clenched the chromatic room.

 

I had no strength to move, so I simply sat limp, fighting to keep consciousness. My ears pricked as footsteps sounded near me. Soon enough I felt Blair breathing down my neck, most likely investigating if I had survived his procedure. His hand brushed against my cheek, sending anger coursing through my body. My hand shot out and grabbed his wrist. I slowly rose up and lifted him up with unnatural strength. Heat began to build up in my body as red energy rings flared around my limps. Blair screeched out in pain, as smoke rose from his wrist. The sound of sizzling flesh entered my ear drum, making me smile ever so slightly. My vision grew hazy as an unnatural desire to want to end him overcame me. Until I looked down and saw the fear in his eyes. I shook my head and tossed him across the room.

 

“Ok you little b*****d,” I said forcefully “do you have any idea where she is?”

 

“She is weak right now, she cannot have gone far,” Blair mumbled as he cradled his burnt wrist “She will be causing havoc soon, you will know exactly where she is soon enough.”

 

“Ok, I am going to clear up this mess you created,” I spoke as I began to leave the room “and one more thing, I never want to see you again, if I do, there will be worse injury than your wrist.”

 

I stormed out of the room that stunk of the vermin inside. Anger flaring all over me, each spike in emotion meet with an equal burst of heat under my skin. It felt weird, even stinging a bit. Yet I ignored it all, focused on the task ahead. My heart was set on finding Lizzy, I wanted to rid myself of the immense guilt that encapsulated me. It was my fault that I let Blair get close to her. I knew he was a little off, I should have known. I should have known....

 

The intense wave of feelings that swayed within me, had been slowly turning up the furnace. I refused to feel the burn but it was now too much. My skin begun to form rashes and blister and my head felt like it was going to explode. I dashed through the dark musky hall ways of the science building. My instinct led me straight for the physics lab that I called my second home. I swung the door open and saw my lab partner Malcolm staring at me in shock. He sat alone at a table, hunched over multiple papers and the radio playing beside him. I completely forgot that he was staying after hours to finish the final details for our project, gloves that had the potential to allow one to handle large amounts of heat and energy. I stared him down and a single tear fell but quickly sizzled into nothing.

 

“Help,” was all I could get out before I collapsed to the ground. The fire inside manifested itself in a red glow that consumed my entire body. My vision turned red, even my eyes showed this fantastic yet dangerous light.

 

Shrivelled in the fetus position all alone I burned, only the sound of the radio spewing the day’s news to accompany me. All I knew was that Malcolm had run for the hills, anyone would after witnessing the freak I had become. Out of nowhere an icy cold feeling came overcame me. I turned my head to see Malcolm throwing bags of ice onto my body, trying his best to cool me down. My internal temperature began to go down, yet I still felt on fire. Feeling well enough I move I rose to as seated position, sweat tumbling down my body. I stared up into Malcolm's fearful eyes. But I could tell he was scared of what was going to happen to me, not what I had become.

 

“What happened to you?” he managed to ask, his voice shaky.

 

“Blair happened, his crazy experiment worked,” I groaned, still in deep pain, “Lizzy is over powered and insane now, I needed to go through the same process to stop her.”

 

Malcolm simply nodded and ran over to our locker, he quickly unlocked it and removed the gauntlets we had been working on. He carried them over and sat beside me. An aura of calm wafted off him. It was usual Malcolm; he can find himself in any situation. Never letting his brain shut down, he was always quickly reacting to any situation.

 

'I know these were supposed to be used to handle objects going through fusion, but I think you need them more.”

 

Not hesitating one bit I began to put them on. They were only prototypes and had barely been tested, but I was about to boil from the inside, so I accepted all consequences that came with this early test run. The gloves were large and clunky; it took much more effort than usual just to lift my arms. Malcolm reached out and switched it on. Red lights began to pulsate on the machine as it groaned to life. Heat began to circulate from my body to the gloves and leave them as small puffs of harmless steam. Instantly the heat on the inside faded. I had never felt more relief in my life. We sat in silence for a few blissful moments. Our hands that rested on the ground meet ever so slightly. My head jerked up and his eyes meet mine. We both smiled and chuckled slightly, our figures encapsulating one another. Out of nowhere the peaceful voices on the radio grew loud and fearful. We both instantly shot up and raced over to listen. I was slightly annoyed that this disturbance had ruined the moment.

 

Reports are flying in that there is a strange entity wreaking havoc in gas town, the radio broadcasted, it is described as a shadow and it is destroying buildings, numerous injured and three confirmed dead, all must stay away from the area.

 

“I have to go,” I sighed as I began to leave, but Malcolm grabbed my wrist.

 

“I will come and help,” he assured me, his face crinkled up with worry.

 

“No,” I said firmly “I cannot lose you too.” And with that I stormed out of the lab, not wanting to turn around and look at his face, afraid it was the last time I would see him. I did not say a word, because I was bad at good byes, I had always been.

 

I blinked away the memories I had been day dreaming. I whipped away the bit of drool that had fallen down my chin and stood up from the old couch. Malcolm was at his table, furiously typing away at his laptop. He was making the finishing touches of the virus that was to infiltrate Cameron Optics's systems. Today was the day, the day we invaded the lab and stole the girl and the serum.

 

I slipped out of his living room and looked at the spandex outfit that was placed carefully across Malcolm's bed. The piece of clothing brought back a rush of memories of those days five years ago when we were a team, before David got himself captured. I swiped mine and quickly slipped into it. They allowed us to move quickly with no resistant, it also helped that they are ridiculously comfortable. Next I slowly approached my gauntlets and boots that sat on the ground. The metallic surface glinted in the rays of the retting sun that escaped into the room through one loan window. Each piece of gear groaned to life and glowed red as I put them on. My walk back to Malcolm was awkward, I was not used to the added weight of these boots. I sighed looked down at their bulkiness, we really did need to find this serum, it would be nice not to have my body burn from the inside out.

 

“Ready for the most memorable night of your life?” Malcolm asked as I approached him. He closed his laptop and placed it in a small black back pack.

 

“Yah, but it would be nice if I could move a bit better,” I scoffed sending my gaze down to my feet “you could have cared to make them even a bit more reasonable. Malcolm simply laughed.

 

“Sorry bud, but as you know I am not an expert in the field of mechanics as you are,” he said, “I program and you build, now can we go?”

 

I simply nodded, trying to pretend that I has not been hurt by being called “bud.” the friend zone was not some where I wanted to be with Malcolm... I shook my head back and forth, I had to focus on the task ahead. Lab, girl and serum.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 5

~Selena~

 

Cyrus and I wondered through the long twisting hallways timidly. He held my hand with one of his and placed his fingers on his temple with the other. His jaw was clenched and veins popped out from his neck. He was clearly struggling to keep is hold on the minds of the people in this building. He had reached out and grabbed hold of all of the consciouses of the monsters that inhabited in this building. At this moment we did not exist. In the guards eyes that passed us as we strolled along there was simply empty space. The stolen watch that I held began beeping, we had reached our location. I carefully tugged on Cyrus's arm and guided him to the wall. I placed my hand on the wall, the watch and wall beeping in sync and a hidden door flew open.

 

Inside was a shinny hospital-like room. People dressed in all white milled around a gerny in the centre of the room. Pressing on hologram monitors and prodding at Rho's lifeless body. I unclenched Cyrus's hand and dashed for the people in white. They seemed shocked as I jumped at them, in their eyes I had suddenly appeared out of nowhere. I landed in between two of them grabbed their heads and pounded them against each other. They quickly fell unconscious and landed heavily on the ground. The last doctor franticly began to pound at the hologram screen that floated in front of him. I had made it this far, I was not letting him alert the professor of our plan. Quills began to erupt from my skin all over my arm. I swung my left arm out with killer speed and the quills flew off. The projectiles sped towards the man and hit him square in the hand that was tapping at the program. His arm flew back and was nailed to the wall. He struggled to break free while I calmly walked towards him. I stared into his eyes, they were glaceed with fear. Yet I had no sympathy, a haze in my mind kept me from feeling. I clenched my figures into a fist and punched him hard. A bit of blood spewed from his mouth, then he was out.

 

“Just a little viscous?” Cyrus said as he picked Rho up from the table, cradling her small body in his arms. I stared at him for a second, trying to return to a human state once more. He seemed a little concerned as all I did was eyeball him, not replying.

 

“Umm, yah sorry,” I finally replied “whenever I fight I kind of get hazy.”

 

“Same,” Cyrus sighed as he began to exit the room “you loose all of what is human about you, all you want to do is harm others.”

 

“Are we all like this?” I questioned, staring off into nothing “simply reduced to animals, lab rats.”

 

“That is the professes intention, to dehumanize us,” he replied “but we can be so much more if we choose to be, it is how we use our curse that really matters.” With that, Cyrus reached out his hand  and beckoned for me to come near. Silently I followed, a million thoughts milling around in my cranium.

 

Once again we disappeared in the eyes of everyone else as we moved on. It did not take long for Cyrus to begin to slow. His jaw clenched and movements haggard, I knew we were on borrowed time. Concealing two people must have been hard enough, but three was stretching his abilities. I tugged on his arm, trying to make him move a bit faster. He looked up at me, looking a bit annoyed. Nervousness swelled up in me as two guards approached. We were almost at the exit of the building, but Cyrus was dangerously close to faltering. One trip up meant the entire compound being alerted to our presence, and possibly Zeta coming to fight us. I shivered just from the thought of Zeta, it was not like he was overly bulky. Just something about him intimidated me. The closer we got to the guards, the worse Cyrus got. His face was red and sweat dripped down it. There was no way we could make it.

 

Making the most rash decision I had ever made I let go of Cyrus's hand and charged the guards. They both yelped in shock at the sudden appearance of a experiment. Before they could react anymore I suckered punch one of them straight in the face. My fist followed through as he fell backwards from the pure force of the impact. The other backed up as his eyes meet with mine. He franticly reached for his watch to alert security but my hand reached his wrist faster. I twisted, followed by a cracking of bone and his scream. I pulled him to the ground and kicked him in the head, leading to an instant knock out. I dusted off my hands, I didn't even need my abilities for this fight, but I had to admit, the heightened senses helped a bit. In front of me Cyrus reappeared, clearly exhausted.

 

“What was that?” he questioned, voice slightly raised.

 

“Me saving our asses,” I snapped back “now lets stop talking and run because the cameras had to have picked us up by now.” He simply nodded, clearly annoyed, but followed as I dashed off.

 

We swerved through ever twist in turn of the steel maze with sheer speed. Adrenaline from our escape plan coursing through our veins. I glanced at the watch every so often to make sure we were on the right course. Now it read that the main lobby was just around the corner. We stopped and regained our surroundings. Just as the plan entailed I grabbed onto Cyrus once more and we moved around the final corner. We passed through a set of sliding doors and were on the final stage of our journey. The lobby was large, with a fountain spouting in the middle and a few reception desks to the side. The entire room was occupied by armoured guards and faceless soldiers. In the middle of the crowd stood Zeta and Iota. We both immediately froze in place. Zeta's odd aura en-capturing our bodies in an icy grip.

 

“Come on out Subject's Tau and Sigma,” Iota called out “We know you are in here, it is time to return to your chambers.”

 

“I need to fight them, alone,” I spoke solemnly to Cyrus, “you need to protect Rho... I mean Rachel.” Cyrus simply nodded. He knew that he was too weak to fight, and that he needed to protect his friend. Testing my luck, I let go of his hand and stepped forward. Iota smiled as I appeared before her eyes. Several men began to move on me but Iota stared them down.

 

“This is my fight,” she spoke calmly “we cannot waste your energy on one subject.” They hesitantly backed up, not sure of what Iota was trying to prove.

 

I scanned her nervously, I have know my previous foes abilities. That is why I had gotten out so easily, but Iota was a mystery. I had no idea what threat she posed. So I ran at her, keeping my mind clear, ready for anything. Claws sprouted from my hands, I was ready to slice. Just as I got half way to her, Iota raised her hand and a small explosion went off right in front of me. I was violently thrown back and crashed into the wall, hard. I stumbled up but a feeling of sickness overcame me. I threw up and was brought down to my knees. My lungs screamed for air as I heaved the vomit. Every joint was shaky, this could only be one thing, some sort of radiation. Iota approached and raised her hand again. Cheetah ears and spots formed on me as I dashed aside narrowly missing the explosion. I had recovered from my brief sickness, but I was weakened. I ran inhumanly fast, swerving slightly so that I was in the direction of Iota. She pointed on each place were an explosion would take place. Using my keen sight I followed her finger and avoided each of the danger zones. A slice of fear entered her eyes as I got close. My claws meet with her hand that was encased in metal gloves. There was a ting of metal against claws as both of our arms flew back. I continued to swing, aiming at her appendages. I was not giving her time to send another explosion my way.

 

To concentrated on my swinging motions I failed to notice Iota duck down and swing out her leg. She tripped me to the ground as my feet were kicked out from under me. She quickly back flipped away, midair she pointed at me. A thick coat of armour covered my body as the explosion went off. I was temporarily blinded from the fall out. When it cleared I was laying in a giant crater, every part of my body unharmed because of the thick coat of armour, borrowed from ancient fish. I stood up and eyed Iota, no emotion coming from my stare. The radiation had only managed to soak through a bit of my cover. I spit out a bit of my blood from my mouth and jumped from the crater. Feathers formed under my arms, sharp teeth erupted and raptor claws formed. I glided through the air and landed straight in front of Iota.

 

“So miniature nuclear explosions, nice,” I laughed as she began to back up “now would you kindly let us go before I rip your heart out?”

 

“I would honey but I seem to have your comrades,” Iota said, keeping her composure.

 

I looked around of saw Zeta holding a dagger made of ice to Cyrus's neck. He must have ran out of energy to keep himself concealed. I should have thought reasonably, but the fog had begun to clench my mind. So instead of backing down I lunched at Iota's chest. They all seemed generally surprised, no one knowing how to react. Before I could reach my target I was suddenly frozen in time. My body was stuck in a suspended animation. I tried to move my arm, but it kept going back to its original position. I growled in annoyance and looked up to see Zeta also struggling with his dagger. No matter how hard he tried, he could not drive it into Cyrus's neck. That was when I felt another's presence in my mind. I looked up at Iota, she began to take several steps back, staring at something behind me. The strange entity let go of me and I tumbled forward. I quickly turned around to see two figures behind me. One with his hand to his temple, clearly deep in concentration. The other, a tall female with large metal boots and gloves. Large rings of red energy swirling around her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~Rain~

 

Malcolm and I approached Cameron Optic's. It was a large dome shaped building that loomed menacingly in front of us. We were both suited up, ready to fight only if we had to. We snuck up to the side of the building, avoiding every camera that faced us. Malcolm knelt down beside the wall and pulled a metal covering off revealing a computer like interface. He pulled out a cable that had been attached to his glove and hooked it up to the enemy technology. A blue surge of energy immediately ran through the wire into his body. His eyes widened and began to glow a sapphire blue. He had always better with technology than people, especially when it came to his telekinetic powers. The machines were easier to manipulate. Human brains and computers were really, in the end, both data processors. I tapped my foot on the ground impatiently, all I wanted was to get this job done. Even being near the same building that The Professor was in made me nervous.

 

“Almost in, soon their security systems will be off and we will be able to...” Cyrus began to say when he was cut off by the sound of a large explosion. His eyes reverted back to their original hue as we both violently shook.

 

“What the f**k,” I exclaimed looking at the roof. Right where I had rested my gaze the glass of the dome flew off and shattered everywhere.

 

“Looks like we do not need to hack in anymore,” Malcolm sighed “ something bad is happening, lets go.”

 

I nodded and ran after Malcolm. We turned the corner and stopped in front of the glass doors. Inside was a swarm of Blair's army, but they were simply observing. Momentarily confused I scanned the scene until another explosion sounded. My eyes floated to the source of the explosion and there was Selena mid air from dodging the explosion. In front of her stood a lanky women. Her skin was copper and her pitch black hair was tied back tightly in a bun. She stood rigidly, her thin lips stuck in a frown. Only one other person I mad meet had that uptight posture. Before being lost to The Professor her name was Kanji, now she was Iota.

 

We watched dazed as the fight unravelled. It had seemed at first that Selena was doomed from the start against the pure might of her opponents powers. Yet, she prevailed, dodging every blow with grace. Selena had figured out Iota's techniques at an alarming rate. I felt a tug on my arm. I turned my head to see Malcolm's alarmed face. He pointed at Selena.

 

“Look at how she is moving,” Malcolm said “there is no hesitation with her movements, she is not thinking with a normal mind right now.”

 

“Wait so the daze I tend to enter when I fight,” I said “she has afflicted with it to...”

 

“You have that defect because you were one of the first,” Malcolm calculated “ she must have it because she was to young.”

 

I smiled just ever so slightly, The Professor has not completed his formula just yet. We still had time. Even though I was only lost in my own thoughts for a few moments, the battle had escalated. One final explosion rocked the building. Me and Malcolm struggled to keep our balance as the floor below us shook violently. I stared straight ahead and saw to my dismay that Selena had been right in the middle of the explosion. Panic overwhelmed me and coursed through my body. With these emotions came an internal heat. It did not hurt me, but it was just on the tip of it. Red energy flared out of my hands as I raced forward. Before I could make any progress a calming  voice entered my mind. Look Rain, Malcolm's voice rang in my cranium, she she survived. I skidded to a halt and squinted my eyes to see through the smoke.

 

A figure rose from the rubble. It had the shape of a human but it was coated in a shiny grey coating. They closely resembled scales. Almost as soon as she had emerged the armour receded into her skin. Her body shook very slowly as it tried to coop with the lingering radiation. Selena spit out blood and without hesitation jumped at Iota. Feather flowering from her arms and claws erupting from her hands.

 

“Malcolm!” I called out urgently “Stop her!”

 

“Just what I was thinking!” Malcolm spoke as he stepped beside me.

 

He reached out both hands in-front of him. His eyes once again glowed blue and Selena abruptly froze in place. She fought against his control, but he had no trouble keeping her in place. Once Malcolm had gotten inside your head, there was almost no way to fight his control. He then let go of his hold of her and she stumbled back, clearly in shock. Unfortunately our actions brought attention to us. Every one in the room glanced over at us. Iota cursed under her breath, taking a few steps back.

 

“Now, would you kindly let the girl and her comrades go,” I said sternly, locking eyes with Iota.

 

“And in what world would I take orders from you,” Iota spat “especially when there is only two of you, a geeky psychic and an emotional fire cracker.”

 

“At least I am not emotionally constipated like you,” I shot back “now this is your last warning, let them go!”

 

“Sorry hun, but I only take orders from the professor,” She laughed as she shot a bomb at us.

 

I needed to give Malcolm time to finish his business with David and the hostages. So we could not dodge her attack, I only had one option. Using sheer will , I forced as much energy as I could out of my body. I projected all of my emotions of anger as a shield around us. Miraculously, my efforts actually amounted to a red ball of energy enveloping me and Malcolm. The fiery mass of nuclear energy made impact. I grunted and tensed my muscles as I kept our one bit of protection up. Both forces, a sickly green and an angry red battled one another. Back and forth they went until I felt that my opponents attack had lost energy. I reposition my energy to cover Iota's Bringing my hands together, my shield followed, collapsing into itself. It returned to my hands, roaring through my gauntlets. The added power from Iota made this absorption difficult. The gloves sparked everywhere as it dealt with the extra  heat and my body screamed in protest. Yet, I perceived through the temporary. The last of the red entered me and I felt energized. Iota was simply frozen in place, speechless at my abilities. My display gave Malcolm time to fully infiltrate David's brain. He flicked his hand up and David threw his knife away and let go of his captures. The man that had been hostage ran towards us, carrying a small women in his arms.

 

“Hey Selena! I know you know nothing about us,” I said at the equally shocked Selena “but we are here to rescue you. But we need your help to get out of here.”

 

 

She nodded in agreement, what other option did she have than to trust us to strangers. Iota shook her head out of her state of shock and screamed at her numerous men to charge. The previously still as stone men dressed in black raced towards us. They were a tidal wave of bodies that worked quickly to envelope us. I was not threatened by the sheer numbers. I have battled the professor's henchmen before, they had no abilities. Therefore, compared to us, the only advantage they had was numbers. I concentrated on the extra energy that I had earlier absorbed and expelled it from my palms. Several dozen figures flew back. Bodies bubbling in the heat. I looked ahead in the newly cleared path and saw Selena bashing into several other bodies, sending them flying and clearing a path for her and the other captives. She had small tusks that protruded from her face that had appeared out of nowhere. She dashed towards me and simply nodded as she passed by, knowing well to get out of my range of fire.

 

This situation was going to take a lot of effort. I knelt down outstretched my hands and squeezed my eyes shut. My mind began conjuring up images of Blair. My immediate response as an out pour of negative emotions that cascaded throughout my entire body. The anger was channeled straight into my hands in the form of pure energy. Slowly the red light began to build. I closed my eyes and thrusted my arms forward, sending a blast towards our enemies. The ray of red pummelled the multiple men that remained. All I could do was step back and run off after my attack. I tried to channel out the screams of agony that echoed of the large dome shape building. I grabbed onto Malcolm's hand as I passed by him. He was frozen in place, mouth gaping open. He knew the extent of my powers, but I do not think either of us had seen a blast this large. I knew all too well what he was witnessing, dozens of bodies melting in the intense heat. I pulled him away from the disaster and we ran.

 

Selena was straight ahead, trying her best to help carry the small blonde. It must have been difficult because the man also carrying the limp body was on the verge of passing out. I raced to catch up and grabbed onto the man's arm as he began to falter.

 

“Let us carry her, you need to take it easy.” I said calmly. His eyes went back and forth between us and he hesitantly passed his burden to me. Selena nodded and together we carried the girl. She may have been small, but she was heavy. Heavier than most grown men, which was odd, but everything involved with the professor is odd. Behind, Malcolm helped the other man who stumbled with every step.

 

I had almost let myself believe that we had gotten away from the lab as we rounded a corner into a dark ally. We stopped for a split second to catch our breath when shards of ice flew straight at us. Cursing under my breath I raised my one free arm in the air and a red shield followed. The ice impacted with the ball of energy that encased the five of us and melting instantly. Out of the shadows a clearly pissed of David and Iota appeared. To my dismay they had only small burns on their skin. Of course they had to find a way to survive my attack. Of course they had to find us just as we were about to taste freedom.

 

“Beta!! Delta!! You have something of ours that we would very much like back!” Iota hissed. She no longer looked like the same put together person. Her raven black hair was wild, falling out of her once tight bun. Peices of her suit was burned off and her eyes glowed a sickly green. “I cannot see you any more but I knew you are all here,” she said “come out and we will not hurt any of you, just simple reconditioning.”

 

Confusion rang in my head. How could they not see us when we were right infront of them?  I heard the extra man grunting in pain. Turning my head I saw him, kneeling on the ground with his hands to his head. The peices instantly fell in place, he was concealing us. The effort he was putting into our invisibility was apparent from the sweat rolling down his face. He was not going to last wrong, we had to move.

“Selena... Take Rachel and the others and get out of here,” he heaved “I will stay behind and keep you hidden.”

 

“But Cyrus, they will take you back and...” Selena attempted to bargain with her friend but she was cut off from only his ice cold stare. She simply nodded, accepting his sacrifice all to fast. Most people would be welling up with tears, but she seemed unphased from the fate her friend would endure. “Ok lets go,” she sighed “ Cyrus I promise I will come back for you.” And with out another thought she picked up her share of the weight and motioned for us to move on. Without argument we followed, disappearing into the night. Leaving our comrade to suffer and loose himself forever.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 6

~Selena~

 

It was New Years Eve, six months after I had began waitressing and met Josh. It was a staff party of sorts. As the last customers scurried out of the restaurant at 9:30, a frenzy of cleaning and prepping for the next day had begun. We were all tired from a long day of work, but it was New Years. So, we pulled the last of our energy to have an amazing night. Right before we where about to close  I dashed into the employe bath room. I ripped of my work cloths, boring, all black, and covered in food stains. I felt instantly relieved when I slipped into my party cloths. A black romper, coated with sparkles. I was ready for the night, or at least I looked it. I tried and tried to muster up excitement for the long night ahead, yet to no avail. I had always been able to pull off a facade of emotion externally, but internally I found it difficult. Especially with excitement and remorse. I could never figure out why I was this way. I had learned in school that my condition was a chemical imbalance in my brain, which I accepted. Yet deep down I wished I had a greater explanation, a reason for who I am. Believing in a  higher power creating me like this could help with my problem, but I could never believe in one. It was simply not logical. Still lacking what I really needed, I expelled a charade of excitement and happiness and joined my co-workers on our journey to a local bar.

 

Shot after shot was taken, as we wasted the night away. Dancing and stupid dares filled the night with splendour. The buzz that the alcohol gave me, made me feel more normal. I was finally able to get real enjoyment out of the little things of life without faking it. It was close to midnight when I wondered out to the back patio of the bar to cool down. The cold winter air played at my face, but it felt good after the sweat fest that was the dance floor. I sat down and took a deep breath, trying to regain my awareness of the world. My buzz remained but the outside helped me feel less dizzy. The door behind me squeaked open. I turned my head to see Josh coming outside.

 

“Hey Selena, are you coming in soon?” he asked in his thick Australian accent “you are going to miss the countdown.”

 

“Uh yah, I was just taking a break from the craziness inside.” I said as I tried to stand up, but clumsily fell right back onto my butt.

 

“Maybe you should sit for a but longer.” he laughed as he seated himself beside me. He knew that it was going to be quiet a time before I could get up again. My inability to stand could be easily pinpointed at my third tequila shot of the night.

 

“You should go enjoy the count down,” I said, he simply laughed and stayed seated.

 

“There is no way that I am leaving you alone on New Years Eve,” he smiled that infectious smile of his “We will just have to have our own count down.”

 

His smile caught on, my lips reached from cheek to cheek. I stared into the oceans that were his eyes and leaned onto him, resting my head on his strong shoulders. His body relaxed and he embraced me. Months of working together, filled with endless jokes, laughs and teamwork. With a little shameless flirting on the side. Now here we were, under the influence in the cold star lit night. Exposed to one another as we sat there. I always had a hard time connecting with others on a romantic level. I needed to really get to know and trust some one before feelings developed. To my dismay I had began to feel something for Josh.

 

“You are like a butterfly,” I said out of the blue. Josh's face bore a slight look of confusion.

 

“And what do you mean by that?”

 

“Butterfly’s are such beautiful creatures, but they go there entire lives not knowing this because they cannot see their wings,” I explained my self, gaining Josh's interest, “I find a lot of people are like butterflies, they get down on themselves or think nothing of themselves, when in reality they are the most kind and beautiful people, they just cannot see it”

 

I pulled my self up and looked at the well molded shape of Josh. He sat directly in front of me, leaning in. Listening intensely. “You go about life helping others, looking for no payback.” I continued “ Always there for people, even when they are not there for you. You are an amazing person, yet you stay humble and never acknowledge this fact. You like so many others cannot see your wings.”

 

We sat in silence as the count down to the new year began to echo from behind us. Josh leaned in closer  and grabbed my hand. “You are a butterfly too. I can see your wings and they are the most colourful of them all.” He got closer and so did I, our souls colliding as we kissed. Emotions that I had never felt before bounced around in my stomach. I body felt light and they buzz almost completely faded.

 

It took years of searching to find my person, but I think I had finally found them. I had longed for a way to experience life like everyone else did, and Josh was helping me do so. It felt like nothing in the world could go wrong for me any more. My path was set, and I was on the road to a normal life.

 

If only I could know that in a few short months, all of that would change...

 

I shook my head, attempting to clear the memories of good times past as we slunk through the streets of Vancouver. I had to focus on the now, concentrate on our mission of not getting captured. We all stopped for a moment to take in our surroundings and catch our breath.

 

“So now that we actually have time to think, what are your names?” I asked, finally clearing the air.

 

“My name is Rain and this is Malcolm,” the blonde huffed, still trying to catch her breath.

 

“Ok, and how did you guys know were to find me,” I continued to question my saviours “and how do you guys know my name???” This time the man spoke up.

 

“Its a long story but basically we have a past with the Professor, hence the abilities,” Malcolm explained “we have been trying to stop him from continuing his research, but from a distance lately, that was until we saw he had kidnapped someone so young, so we knew we had to do something.” I simple nodded while taking in our surroundings. We were situated in another dark ally. The smell of the dumpsters that surrounded us made my nose shrivel up. My senses seem to have been intensified, useful, unless you are surrounded by trash. We were safe for the moment, concealed by the night, but we had to get moving.

 

“So what now?” I asked, hoping the other two had some sort of secret base we could retreat to.

 

“Well, Rain is currently homeless, and my apartment is too easy to find,” Malcolm sighed “so I really have no idea what to do...” He trailed off, a flash of panic racing across his face. We sat for a few moments in silence. Despair hung in the frigid air, until a light bulb went off in my head.

 

“I know where we can go,” I exclaimed, “he is a friend of mine, but we are close enough that he would take us in” The others simple nodded in agreement, they did not have much choice but to trust my judgement. We were in this together, one wrong step and we will be exposed and taken back to a nightmare. So we slunk through the streets, constantly looking behind our backs for shadows inn the night. I almost thought we had gotten away until a cold tingling sensation rolled up my spine.

 

The other could sense this strange feeling to. We all froze in place simultaneously, trying to keep our noise levels to a minimum. We all turned slowly to look out behind us. In the haze of the night, Zeta approached, anger swimming in his icy eyes. Malcolm and Rain instantly stepped in front of me, shielding me and Renee from his presence.

 

“Iota said let them go, we will easily find them another day,” he hissed, clearly frustrated, “but I refused to let you lot get away again.” He walked slowly towards us, every footstep leaving behind and icy imprint in the concrete. His pupils disappeared into a glowing shade of blue as a mass of ice and snow whirled around his menacing figure. Malcolm lifted his figures to his temple, ready to fight, but Rain put up her arm in his way.

 

“This is my fight...” she sighed “ I am the only one who can take him on at this power level and win.”

 

She stared our enemy straight in the eye, not backing down from the challenge. Rain breathed in, closing her eyes, and as she breathed out, her eyes opened. Red light flowing from them. The steel casings on her legs and arms began to let out puffs of steam as they worked to release the heat from her body. Then, they charged. Two bodies collided and a large flash of light enveloped the room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~Rain~

 

Even though my body was overflowing with heat I felt the icy cold surface of David's skin. We collided hard, the sheer force between two opposites causing a blast of sheer light to envelope the alleyway. Once I could finally see again, I saw that we had been pushed away from one another. Both of us undamaged. David looked at me, seeing that is attack had done no damage and grunted in frustration. His hands which had only been glowing blue earlier, slowly began to get covered in ice. Then, he charged, barely giving me any time to catch my breath. He swung at me, but I was just able to leap to the side. I closed my hands into fist and directed the heat straight to them. Fiery red light flew from my arms as I punched just as he was regaining balance from missing me. I clocked him straight in the head and he flew back.

 

I raced to his body and was about to punch when he suddenly whipped out his leg, kicking me off my feet. We both staggered to our feet, in a race to get an advantage on the other. He swung again but it meet with my forearm that I raised to counter his strike. The barrier of ice had already began to sizzle away, just from one moment of contact. Fear roared in his eyes as my other hand grabbed onto his free arm. David may be intimidating, but his hand to hand was dreadful. His teeth clenched trying to keep a scream back as he tore himself from my grip. He kept trying to hit me, yet every time I jumped and weaved my way around him. Every so often I would throw a jab, each hit giving him more and more burns.

 

After a long fight David had significantly slowed. So to end it I decided to show off. I tensed my muscles and flung my self into the air. Kicking him square in the head. David crumpled to the ground, quickly unconscious. I raced over to his limp body and grabbed his wrist. I took a watch that he had on and ripped it off him. Without another thought I let it melt in my hands. These devices always had tracking devices in them, we could not afford to be followed. I took his hand and began to drag him across the ground, towards my companions.

 

“What are you doing?” Selena questioned me sternly.

 

“Taking him with us,” I replied

 

“But but, he could attack us in our sleeps, he could let them know where we are,” she protested but I quickly interrupted.

 

“He is a friend,” I spoke sharply “he is just brainwashed, and now we can finally get him back.” Selena huffed in annoyance. It seemed like she could not grasp the concept of empathy, she even seemed like to not even have it. Yet she gave in, bickering was worthless at this point in time.

 

So, Selena lead us through the city, each of us carrying limp bodies with us. We were in rough shape, each step draining more and more energy from our havoc stricken bodies. After what seemed like hours of trekking in the dark, we finally came across a small building. It was dark blue and was crumbling from its old age. Selena timidly approached the white door and knocked. We waited for a few minutes for an answer, the air tense. Nervousness took over as the door finally opened. It was a blonde with short straight hair that framed her thin face. She wore only a large mens batman shirt. Selena's face was  filled with confusion as she looked the girl up and down.

 

“Ummm, is Josh home,” Selena asked coldly. The blonde smirked and rolled her eyes.

 

“Yah, but he is in bed,” she stated bluntly, “who are you anyways, and why are you here in the middle of the night?”

 

“I am a good friend, my name is Selena, we worked together,” Selena explained, “I know it is very odd that we are here at this hour but we are really in need of help.” The girl simply eyed us, a bit of disgust in her eyes. Selena, obviously very annoyed spoke very forcefully, “just please get Josh.” Blondie jumped at the sharpness of her voice and turned around and ran into the building. After a few pain staking moments, she finally returned with a tall man in tow. He was well built and wore sweatpants and a grey shirt. His face was square and sharp, and was covered with stubble. His ocean blue eyes had long dirty blonde hair playing above them. This must be Josh. He looked haggard until he lay eyes on Selena. First surprise then shock overtook his face.

 

“S...s...Selena, you are here, where have you been,” he gasped taking her into a bear hug, “you have been missing for weeks.”

 

“Look I do not have time to explain right now,” she spoke urgently “we need to get out of sight.” Josh simply nodded, and let us all in, the blonde looking completely shocked at his decision.

 

We dragged the out cold bodies of David and the small blonde, that Selena had told me name was Renee. Josh gently closed the door behind us and ran over to his futon and lifted it into a bed. We placed their bodies onto the soft surface and were finally given a chance the breath. After we had all been given a chance to rest, Josh finally spoke up again.

 

“Ok, so know you guys have to tell me what the hell is going on.”

© 2017 LovelyMidnight


Author's Note

LovelyMidnight
Ignore grammar and spelling problems. This is a very rough draft that will be edited later to account for my horrible grammar skills.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
Added on February 14, 2017
Last Updated on February 14, 2017
Tags: Superheros, romamce, hero, heros, action, powers, young adult, fiction

Author

LovelyMidnight
LovelyMidnight

Canada



About
Just an average twenty year old Canadian trying to tap into her creative side and emotions through her writing. more..

Writing