White lies in Freedom City

White lies in Freedom City

A Story by Carlitz Luevanos
"

A sincerely good deed

"
I briefly met this girl at work. I work at the airport. Many people pass by, but not very many as interesting as her. She had a wholesome, earthbound energy to her. She and her boyfriend were looking for transportation to Austin, the city of the young and free. They inquired about the taxi, that just so happened to be near 300$. Immediately, I knew I wanted to help them out. I offered to give them a ride, they asked how much. I responded, "whatever you feel like giving me". After work I picked them up and we took off. Getting to know them a little more, I grew attached to these people. Now knowing they were Maureen and Santiago. M was from Idaho. Santiago from Argentina. They met when M took a trip to Argentina to get her PhD. They've been together for the past nine years. I don't know much about their day to day jobs, but I know they travel allot and they live in the city that is my long time love affair, New York. Brooklyn to be exact. Maureen has a face and a voice like Brooke Waggoner. They both had a nice friendly hipster vibe. We all share the same interest in indie/folk music. We all agreed that handmade USA products are much better and wholesome. They were headed to austin for the premier of Santiago's short film, Chiralia. The film premiers on Monday March 11th at 11:00 AM, a few blocks down and over the river from Joseph Gordon Levit's movie premier. I lied a bit and said I lived in Canyon Lake, that's where my sister lives. They would not have let me help them out if they knew I lived in San Antonio. I do feel bad for lying, but I really wanted to help. I even thought about dropping them off and not accepting one red cent from them. I was not taking them for the money, I was taking them simply to do a good deed. That is what I do, and who I am. The only thing I wanted in return, is for them to pass on the good deed and help someone else out.of course it was late, I was sleepy, and I forgot to tell them to pass the goodness on, but somehow I feel, they knew they should. When I dropped them off, they handed me money and some vouchers for the airport restaurants. At first I didn't accept them saying "no thank you, it's ok" but they both insisted I take the thank you gift. I hope I get to see these two again, if not in Texas, maybe in New York. There is something really special about them. It's their first visit to Texas,and Austin for that matter. I hope they have fun and would love to come back to Austin. Good luck y'all, congratulations once again Santiago!

© 2013 Carlitz Luevanos


Author's Note

Carlitz Luevanos
N/A

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
Added on March 10, 2013
Last Updated on March 10, 2013
Tags: Joseph gordon levit, good deed, Austin, Texas, Idaho, Argentina, film festival, sxsw.