A New World

A New World

A Story by Sanctuary Dementia
"

Insanity lines rambled on within a mind sleep deprived and caffeinated.

"

The children pressed their faces against the glass of the window outside the butchers store, their breath fogging the window and blocking their view as the butcher placed the fresh cuts on display. Saliva filled their mouths as they watched the delicacy with which the butcher placed them upon the slaps, their empty pockets however betrayed their meager money supplies that laughed at them and their hungry stomachs. The youngest began to cry while holding her poor stomach wondering of there would be enough food for dinner that night, and as her older brother consoled her the others shared dark looks all their thoughts wondering whether they would survive the winter.

 

With a shout the door burst open revealing the butcher who ushered them away from his store front saying it decreased business, but it was a slow day that day. The sun was high and lazy in the sky, birds were chirping in the uncommonly sweltering heat of fall, and the majority of people were inside where they were without the pain of the everyday world tuned into their television sets that blared images out at them creating the mindless mass that went one way in the morning and returned the opposite way in the evening.

 

Shaking their heads the children walked onwards their feet making soft splatting sounds as the sweat from their feet drenched their cotton shoes which were already beginning to tear early in the season. With ease they headed to the pond intent on a mindless day of relaxation their bodies tired from the daily labor they usually went through throughout the week of helping in the slaughterhouse; the only thing that was worse was that food was before them and yet they couldn’t even taste it for fear of becoming sick. It was a shame on many levels of their young lives.

 

Upon reaching the pond they stared out at the water their eyes shaded by grimy hands covered in dirt and other unidentifiable liquids. The chickens glided slowly on the water softly clucking to one another as they dipped their heads down pecking at the surface of the lake gobbling the remaining pieces of lingering grain from their morning meal. The children stared at their peaceful rotations and smiled softly as chicks in their feeble voices cried out to their mothers. A wandering chick drifted close to the children and as the littlest reached out to touch its soft feathers the rooster shot across the water shrieking loudly as he flapped his wings. Startled the children pulled back from the water’s edge their eyes filled with fear of the beautiful bird before them.

 

Edging slowly they left the pond their stay was no longer welcome amongst them for the day. Slowly they walked back into town where the sheriff sat in his car his computer blaring loudly the show he was watching. As usual it was the presidential inauguration from two years ago. On repeat they listened to Lady Gaga once again be sworn into office, her voice smooth and practiced as she gave her oaths to the country. The world had become a different place ever since several years before when Justin Bieber held the office, although now he was in charge of defense as well as world relations.

 

The children walked on wards their heads hung low as the headed toward the old dilapidated house they called home. As they heard clucking high above them they looked to the sky and found the chickens were flying once again their formation synced perfectly, although the slight wobbling from the chicks altered the view of the beauty of their flight. Their smiles wide the children watched when it happened, the chickens began releasing eggs upon the town in wave after relentless wave the eggs dropped upon houses and businesses. The children stared wide eyed at the carnage around them their faces filled with fear as adults wandered from the buildings.

Their faces filled with rage and horror they pointed at the children screaming loudly in protest with shouts for the police to be called that the children had egged the town. As they tried to call back against their accusers the sheriff pulled up shaking his head as he stared at the scene before him. Swiftly he arrested every single one of the children placing them in the car as the others around sobbed as they stared at the yolk sliding down the walls. As the sheriff climbed back into the car he thanked the bystanders for their help in capturing the criminals. After all chickens were an endangered species, their eggs were precious and these children had just destroyed the population for a bit of mindless fun.

 

Although they tried to get the sheriff to listen to them the children were promptly ignored and told they were vile criminals who were going to where they could learn to act accordingly within society. As the sheriff pulled outside the butchers he saw the butcher stand up from the back end of the car where he was tying up the new beginning for the couples life. The sheriff waved to the butcher smiling as the newlywed couple thanked the butcher for such a good price, and said their goodbyes to the priest. They started the car and slowly drove off the babies tied to their back bumper providing a merry jingle for their new life. As the butcher walked back into his store he placed a sign up stating Babes Sold Out.

 

The sheriff walked the children up the stairs of the chapel their feet sounding heavy upon the concrete. The priest stared at them his eyebrows scrunched together as he looked at the sheriff. As the sheriff explained the crime the children had committed his eyes widened until he began merely shaking his head slowly. As he took the keys from the sheriff and looked at the kids he assured the sheriff that their crimes would not go unpunished while draping his arm around the youngest boy. His eyes hardened as he looked at the young girls, and in a clear voice told the sheriff, “How about you take the girls over to the butcher, I’m sure he would be most appreciative, after all my talents don’t generally succeed in reforming girls. So unpredictable, you know? But boys at least listen and will become good citizens, won’t you boys?”

 

Thanking him the sheriff took the girls and led them to the back of the butcher store where other children stared at them their shifts only beginning for their feeble measly share of food for the week. The butcher smiled as he looked at the girls and ushered them inside the building, his apron seemed to look down upon them the black lettering shining bold due to the blood. Mrs. Lovett’s Meat Pies. The youngest girl burst into fresh tears and the butcher bent down and hugged her “Shh, child, don’t cry. You tense up when you cry and that makes the meat tough. You committed a crime and now you gotta pay your due. So shh, shh, crying won’t change a thing.” The sheriff turned and walked away whistling merrily as he walked back to the car. After all there was a special showing of all the Twilight movies that evening, and he couldn’t miss that for the world.

© 2011 Sanctuary Dementia


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very deep and heartfelt.

Posted 13 Years Ago


They wont but oh well -shrugs-

Posted 13 Years Ago


Review people..

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 20, 2011
Last Updated on April 20, 2011

Author

Sanctuary Dementia
Sanctuary Dementia

NM



About
Misery is one of my nicknames, it at one point all that I was for both myself, as well as for those around me. I was vile, I was cruel, and I do stil retain the ability to be as such, but Ive learned .. more..

Writing