memories

memories

A Poem by Lydia Shutter
"

posted for tate's parent/grandparent challenge

"
 
 
 
 
painting courtesy of etsystatic.com
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
pockets of night acquiesce to snippets of day
shower water attacks ringlets of hair
while memories stick to my brain
like wet sand to feet
emotional scars scream out
their cries garbled by water
senses and memory honed
i hear your breathing touch your cheek
smell your perfume
the rondo of your sonata body surfs past my ears
it’s true
my soul is forever soaked
with mommy memories

© 2013 Lydia Shutter


Author's Note

Lydia Shutter
I was the caretaker for my mom for many years. Memories of our times, happy and sad, are with me every day.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A dear friend of mine has just lost her mother to Alzheimer's, after years of caring for her at home, so I can relate to this. Powerful and eloquent, and full of inventive imagery. I am familiar with some your work, Lydia, from another poetry site. Hope you are well. ~ Robert Haigh.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

10 Years Ago

Robert, I am thrilled to see you on this poetry site! Thank you so much for finding me and reading .. read more
Distantview123

10 Years Ago

I have just re-joined this site, after years away from it. I hope to stay here and post more of my p.. read more



Reviews

Thats lovely Lydii makes me think of the memories of my own mom.You nailed it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your lovely comment. Glad you could relate. Lydi*
Wow, Lydi! What a marvelous poem you have written in honor of your mother. To say that the imagery is powerful is a gross understatement. I feel soaked in the water of your "Memories" and am very grateful to be so.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lydia Shutter

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much, Joyce. Your comments make me feel so talented. Lydi**
There is such a beautiful blending between the abstract and the concrete (shower water on hair and memories sticking to the brain), the emotional and the quotidian. Your mother was blessed to have you by her side and I'm sure in the collective memories of humanity, memories of you have soaked her soul forever as well.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

10 Years Ago

Karen, I am touched by your comments. Thank you more than I can say. Lydi**
the rondo of your sonata body surfs past my ears
how eloquent. this one tugged at my heart - hard.
A beautiful write.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much...when it comes to writing about either of my parents, the emotions flow. Lydi**
'the rondo of your sonata body surfs past my ears'

a nice layering of images in this, very bright and homely. mothers are everything, we need them, we love them- one of the good things in life. fantastic.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lydia Shutter

10 Years Ago

If you still have yours, cherish every moment with her. Thank you for the comments. I appreciate t.. read more
This was deep without making me question my entire life's choices, which is good, considering some people write such deep things that it makes you feel like maybe there's something wrong with yourself, if that makes sense, but you didn't do that, and it was very interesting to see the interpretation you have on your mother and the memories you have of her. It' is so very true that your mother lingers in your memory forever.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lydia Shutter

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your comments, Abbie. I appreciate them. Lydi**
bookworm0812

10 Years Ago

:) Always happy to comment.
A deeply felt piece here, Lydi. Our parents fill us up from day one, and stay with us forever. Well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

10 Years Ago

Indeed, they do, Rita. Thank you for understanding and commenting. Lydi**
A very precious memory of your dear mom, Lydi, a beautiful heartfelt write..Tony**

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

10 Years Ago

Thank you once again, Tony. Lydi**

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

903 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 2, 2013
Last Updated on August 2, 2013
Tags: family, memories, love


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..