perhaps

perhaps

A Poem by Lydia Shutter
"

observations of life

"


“atomic aka heart of glass” by nina friday

courtesy of etsy.com nina friday art



doors do not open easily

    nor do they close effortlessly

we are

          all of us

stuck in the middle

of a somewhat tongue-tied life

on occasion filled to the brim with love

that is, of course

till we run out of sugar

and the cup cracks                          

or the handle does anyway

and we are left

with only a fleeting glimpse

of what might have been

just a little bit to the left of happy

after all

only the conifer is ever-green

and change is constant

perhaps that is a good thing

 

© 2013 Lydia Shutter


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Loved this one, Lydi....so true to life. your observations always bring some clarity to mine. "on occasion filled to the brim with love that is, of course
till we run out of sugar" your metaphors are to die for, my friend. so apt! Absolutely fantastic write here...another favorite.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

10 Years Ago

No dying allowed!!!! :) Thank you once again, sweet friend. Lydi**



Reviews

This is beautiful and I like how you used the e.e.cummings type of spacing of the lines to really show how the ideas flow and the pace is intended to move along. To the left of happy, truly. That is where I am right now, in my own life. As an idea or an image to consider, I love the broken cup of love. It is so pure an image that just for myself I can read this without the image of the conifer. I might consider this poem without the last three lines as maybe even more effective at getting to your point. We know there are ever-greens, but maybe that might be best left in the mind of the reader. Or maybe just, "at least there's other cups in the cupboard," which would be a bit of a surprise humorous ending...I admit it is not befitting of the seriousness and eloquence of what you have written here though. I would just consider an image for the last three lines that is more within the scope of the poem up to that point. Maybe just to bookend it: "Out the door I see an ever-green/And the winds of change blowing through its branches remind me/Perhaps some change is a good thing." I always write TOO, TOO much, so that would have to be cut down. I am just giving my honest and unnecessary suggestions to what is already a very beautifully complete poem. I would feel useless if I didn't try to tell you something!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

10 Years Ago

I appreciate your suggestions, Robby. Thank you for reading and considering my words. Lydi**
...and even the conifer sheds it's needles. It's just better at hiding them under her skirt. That poor old Scotch Pine doesn't even have a kilt to lift anymore. Alas. But, I digress... what an excellent poem. It hums a little tune while dancing a graceful samba as it crosses the distance to that cookbook on the kitchen counter where it flips to find just the right recipe.

100 drops of crazy glue


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

10 Years Ago

Your stream of consciousness is a great place to dip my toes in! Thank you so much for the review. .. read more
Change is there to transform us into becoming what we hold the potential to be. All dependent on the choices we make, though....

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

10 Years Ago

Choices, indeed....they make all the difference. Thank you for stopping by. Lydi**
I think change is good...and the experiences in life both good and bad shape us...

all good would get boring...all bad would be too depressing....we have to experience the sad in order to really appreciate the glad.

as always your poetry just moves so nicely and you always have an insightful theme.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

10 Years Ago

I truly appreciate your review, Jacob. It makes me like my poetry more! :) Thank you very much. .. read more
Wise observations on life , love , aging and so forth done with your poetic charm and smooth sailing . The painting captures us in our glassy eyed situations...Beautiful and magical and above all wise...:)...................

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

Can it be Sheba vs. king Solomon...You are welcome...:).......................
Lydia Shutter

10 Years Ago

Smiling here.....you are funny, Sami.
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

:)...........................

4
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1158 Views
35 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on December 2, 2013
Last Updated on December 3, 2013


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Silent Pain Silent Pain

A Poem by Frieda P