700 HKD with Love

700 HKD with Love

A Story by Kan Xu
"

How much would you pay to try your luck on love? A million dollars? A ton of gold? How about 700 Hong Kong dollars?

"

It's my first time in Hong Kong. Finally, my mom had found time to spare for a 5-day trip for two despite her busy schedules and endless appointments. It was late January and the air was really chilly and freezing so I had a sweatshirt on plus two layers of jacket that was quite heavy, but I need to endure the weight of these jackets or I’ll freeze to death. Today is our fourth day here in Hong Kong and tomorrow afternoon, mom and I will be flying back to our homeland. I have already made my shopping and I also bought stuff to carry back home for my friends while mom bought loads of clothes and jewelries. Right now, it’s about half past seven in the evening and I can see the city lights from the distance. It was a breathtaking sight, especially when you’re seeing the buildings leaning towards you, as if they will simply fall down and collapse. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention… right now I’m in a train going vertically up the mountain. They call it the “Tram” here in Hong Kong. It’s an old train system that goes up to Victoria’s Peak, fun thing is that it is simply pulled by a rope on top of the mountain and when you’re inside the train, there’s an illusion that the buildings are the ones leaning down. My mom told me we’re meeting one of her friends she met online up there in the Victoria’s Peak. She also mentioned that the peak was a tourist destination because it is a shopping area for luxury items and designer items. I smirked in the thought that we will only be doing window shopping while gasping at the prices of those items. Little did I know there was something much more to expect than just luxury at the Victoria’s Peak.

 

            As soon as we reached the peak, my mom and I were greeted by a tall, young lady. She looks very much Chinese yet she speaks very fluent English so my mom did not have a hard time engaging in a conversation with her. We settled down in a café nearby and mom and her friend never stopped talking, it was as if they knew each other centuries back. It seems their conversation will never end for now so I decided to ask my mom if I could stroll around. She gave me a thousand Hong Kong dollars and told me to be back by ten. I nodded and deep inside me, I was jumping for joy! A thousand Hong Kong dollars to spend for just three hours, hurray for me! Now my only problem is how I will spend this huge treat. I started walking around, peeking through the shops but I’m not the kind of person who’d really spend much on bags, shoes and clothing. Consider me an otaku, by the way.

 

            About twenty minutes have past and I am still empty handed despite the huge budget. There must be something here that I would like to buy. I continued strolling around until I reached a little park. In the middle was a small Victorian fountain and around it were small rose bushes with tables for two. Nothing escaped my lips but a soft “Wow”. As I gazed around the area some more, a tap on my shoulder somehow surprised me.

            “Welcome to Rosal Square. Are you in need of service or company?” a tall guy asked me. He was in a costume actually. Shifting my eyes from left to right and seeing several tables with females and handsome men in costumes together, I then realized I’m in a host club or a butler café. The guy smiled at me and to think that he’s Chinese, he’s very good in speaking English without any weird intonation.

            “I uhm… what place is this actually?”

            “This is the Rosal Square, milady. The Rosal Square is a host café managed by Chinese net idol group who goes by the name Rose Square. The name of the group is derived from the four members of the group having personalities similar to a fragile rose. For more information, here is a brochure to our host café, milady.” He handed the folded brochure and smiled softly at me. I can feel my face turn red. This guy in front of me is such a perfect one. I can say that he’s about twenty-three years old.

 

            I opened the folded brochure and had my eyes scan the text; it was in English at one page and Chinese at the other. Right now, my eyes are looking for the price rates. I’m really serious about getting a host for tonight. Who knows when I’ll be going back here in Hong Kong, who knows when will be the next time that I get to be served by a host, who knows when will be the next time I’d receive such large amount of money for leisure from my stingy mom. I’m not letting this moment just pass me by!  Let’s see… uhmm…a simple thirty-minute pampering, regular dinner package which is good for an hour, inclusive of dinner and date and there’s this ‘After Midnight’ package… oh gosh, I wouldn’t want that. There must be some more services that they offer that last for more than three hours. I looked at the tall man beside me and awkwardly smiled.

            “You know, we have special services depending on the host. Would you like to try?” he asked.

            “I guess so… but I’m particular with the duration of your services, you see my mom is…uhmm…”

            “700 Hong Kong Dollars and a host is your boyfriend for the whole evening. No more, no less. He will not be entertaining other women for the night. He will be your boyfriend rather than your host. So, what do you say?”

            “I’ll take it! Mister…uh… mister…”

            “Just call me, Yun Xiao. Well then, follow me. I’ll just direct you first to fill up a form for the Rose Square’s customers.”

 

            Yun Xiao led me through the small garden filled with red roses. The aroma of these elegant flowers mixed with the chilly air of Victoria’s Peek. I was able to catch a glimpse of the evening lights of the city below the mountain before we entered a marble pavilion not far from the entrance of Rosal Square. I wish I had more time looking at the view though; I never got the chance to view Hong Kong this way. Yun Xiao gestured for me to take a seat in the lobby as he opened the drawer in the counter, taking a few papers and a pen as well. He sat beside me and placed the papers on the table top.

            “Well then, here’s a registration form. Simply provide the information needed and pay the amount. After that, I’ll be calling the host to be designated for you this evening.” Yun Xiao smiled.

 

            After providing my name, birthday and other general things for the registration form, Yun Xiao gave me another piece of paper that read ‘Terms and Conditions’. No overdue, no leaving the Victoria’s Peek, no taking of photos with the hosts unless thoroughly paid and the host has agreed, no host harassment, no sex, no drinking of liquor and no smoking… no kissing. I signed the paper below and handed Yun Xiao 700 Hong Kong dollars. Yun Xiao accompanied me back to the garden, a bit further from where I have entered and told me to wait for my host. I looked at the tall man go back to the pavilion and pick up a phone and started talking. He must be calling the host to accompany for the rest of the night. I sighed and fidgeted my pants; I whipped my bag up and fixed myself with the compact powder. Just after I finished powdering myself, a guy in raven hair and green eyes stood in front of me. “Hi. I’m Shun.” he smiled. I simply stared at him, no words can escape my mouth, and he was incredibly handsome and tall.

 

            “I… I am Kyou!” I immediately stood up and bowed my head. I remained bowing until I heard a chuckle. I was so embarrassed; I barely gave this guy a good first impression. He laughed and patted me on the head. “Kyou? Isn’t that a boy’s name? Haha!” he replied. I felt my inner self twitch in insult. This… this guy is the worst! I guess my super romantic fantasies went down the drain. I’m forced to be with this guy for the rest of the night so that my 700 Hong Kong dollars won’t go to waste.

            “So Kyou, where do you wanna go?” he asked as he wiped some tears from laughing.

            “I pretty much unfamiliar with the places since it is my first time here in Hong Kong.” I grunted.

            “I see. Well then, how ‘bout we start off with a dinner. My treat.” Shun grinned. I sighed. Of course it has to be his treat, the payment should cover a dinner as well. I nodded and picked up the jacket on my lap which I have removed earlier.           “Woah, you’re really small… that’s cute.” he stated while giving me some soft pats on the head. It’s really a wonder for me to see this guy exclaim embarrassing and offensive things without hesitation. He grabbed my hand that hid covered inside my grey fur coat and looked at me with annoyed eyes.

            “Oi. I’m your boyfriend for tonight so don’t be nervous around me. Got it Kyou?” he winked.

            “Got it.” I sighed. This guy is really complicated and hard to read.

            “As expected, a cutie when she smiles. Now, let’s head to that grill over there. It’s really freezing right now so it’s best if we eat something sizzling hot. What do you say?”

            “I’m fine with that Shun. Lead the way!”

            “That’s more like it! Keep ‘yer smile on that face, cutie.”

 

            Shun and I walked towards a restaurant here in Victoria’s Peak. As expected of this place, everything is in luxury. Shun remained holding on to my glove-covered hands with his. Every now and then, I can catch him glancing over me and randomly smiling from time to time yet he never spoke to me. Somehow, it makes me feel excited and nervous at the same time. But of course, it’s the host’s job to make sure their customers are emotionally satisfied with their charms and expert flirting.  Just like Shun, I kept glancing over my side to take a glimpse of this man beside me. His thick black messy hair is in complete contrast with his pale porcelain and angelic face. Shun must be one of those Chinese idols or models or something. With his height, he must be an athletic one as well. His body is well built, it really suits him. It’s just now that I’ve realized that Shun was not wearing any jackets or overcoats. He just had a black long-sleeved shirt on, I’m not even sure if it’s thick enough to keep him warm.

            “Anything wrong Kyou?” he suddenly asked.

            “Nothing’s wrong Shun! Why do you ask?” I nervously smiled.

            “You suddenly squeezed my hand a bit. Haha! Does that mean you’re comfortable with me now Kyou?” he teased.

            “What?”

            “Nah, I’m just kidding. Do what you want, it’s okay.”

            “Say Shun… are you not cold? I’ve noticed that you’re not wearing any jackets or overcoats.”

            “Now that you’ve mentioned it, I feel pretty cold. How ‘bout a hugging your boyfriend Kyou?” Shun slyly stared at me.

            “Wh-what are you saying?” I feel my blood rush to my head. I swung my head to my side but I can still feel that this guy is sneering at me. I figured out that he’s the type to joke and fool around. In a matter of a few seconds, I glanced back at Shun and somehow, I caught him off guard. I saw him sighing with fog coming out of his mouth. It’s then that I saw how he tries his best to warm himself by stuffing his bare hands on the pockets of his cargo pants. I sighed and handed him the gray fur coat that kept my hands warm the whole time I was in Victoria’s Peak. He looked at me with a puzzled face and smiled once more.

            “Take it.” I told him. “I don’t want to take the blame and responsibility if you get a cold or frostbites or something. So here. Put this on Shun. I hope it fits you since it’s the sales lady mistook the product size, she gave me an XL and uhm… it has a double fur layer and it’s not that heavy and bulky as well.” For the first time tonight, I seemed to be confused on what to say.

            “Thank you Kyou. I appreciate it. But you know, you could have just told me you are concerned with me.”

            “I am not! I just don’t want you to freeze to death or anything. Haha!” I patted Shun’s back and gave him a bad smile. This guy is obviously messing with me! This is not the kind of romantic feeling that I had in mind. I kept on surrounding myself with the awkward aura until Shun told me we have already arrived at the restaurant.

 

            “Good evening! Welcome to Oriental Pearls Seafood Restaurant, do you have any reservations?” the young woman asked us upon our entry. I glanced at Shun, signaling him to be the one to communicate. “I’m afraid we didn’t get a reservation but do you have some free tables we can occupy right now?” Shun politely replied. The lady browsed a black log book in her wooden podium and smiled back at us. “We do have an available table for two, please follow me.”

 

            Shun and I followed the lady and she directed us to a seat for two beside veranda entrance of the restaurant. She also handed us some menus but everything is in Chinese characters so I told Shun to order for me. “The waiter will be taking your orders in a short while; I hope you enjoy your time.”

            “Thanks!” Shun smiled as he rested his chin on his arms on the table. “So Kyou, what do you think?”

            “The view from here is beautiful Shun! Thank you!” I told him as I shifted my eyes to the overlooking view of the veranda that shows the glimmering lights of Hong Kong. “My vacation is now complete.” I giggled.

            “Good evening, I am Li Yun, I will be your waiter for tonight. What can I get you?”

            “Hmm… let’s see, I’ll have the chef’s special for today, milady here will have the same as well. As for the desserts, we’ll have this couple’s fruit cake delight topped with vanilla and caramel cake.”

            “Anything else?” the waiter asked as he looked at me. I just shook my head and smiled back at him. With that, he placed two glasses of champagne in front us and dismissed himself to prepare our orders. Shun picked the glass up and held it in front of me. “How about a toast?” he asked. I nodded and picked up my glass as well. “A toast for what?”

            “A toast to commemorate the beginning of our relationship. Celebrated today, January 27th here at the Oriental Pearls Seafood Restaurant, Victoria’s Peak. From now on, Kyou is my girlfriend and Shun is your boyfriend.”

 

            Shun’s voice was indeed full of enthusiasm despite the low volume. Even though we started with the wrong foot and gave each other weird first impressions, the way Shun smiles at me makes the evening worth remembering. I know this happiness worth 700 Hong Kong dollars will end in a matter of few hours and Shun is just being romantic and all because he’s a host and I’m a client, but then again, playing along with this roleplay of ours won't hurt.  To be continued...

© 2013 Kan Xu


Author's Note

Kan Xu
Hello! This is my first upload here. I haven't checked the grammar yet. The story is still incomplete but I am on the process of completing it! Stay updated, thank you for reading!

Image is from Google.com. It's a photo of the view of the Hong Kong city from Victoria's Peak. I have personally been there and how I wish to return to the place.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
Added on March 21, 2013
Last Updated on March 21, 2013
Tags: Hong Kong, Love story, Butler Cafe, Tram, Victoria's peak, fiction, Kan Xu

Author

Kan Xu
Kan Xu

Puerto Princesa City, Philippines



About
Hello! I'm Kan, a not-so-normal resident of Palawan. I am a hobbyist and a mutimedia artist. I love hanging out with my friends. I love be to be outdoors especially when I'm with my buddies but I also.. more..