When Opposites Attract

When Opposites Attract

A Story by Lisa Lyon
"

Read for yourself.

"
I wrote this as part of an online wrestling community, so some of it may not make sense. The back story is, Lisa Lyon is a professional wrestler in a local Colorado promotion. Lacy would be another wrestler in the promotion who is severely different than Lisa. You'll grasp the personality types as you read. They haven't gotten along in the past. Lacy was recently beaten (in a match) by Lisa. Thus there is a rivalry there. The story outside of the wrestling is actually what is interesting here. So give it a chance, even if it's not your normal type of read. It comes off as a "roleplay" of sorts.

After seeing the match card for this week’s super show, Lisa thought that it might be time to have a quick drink. It wasn’t that she feared those whom she faced. This was nothing more than a match thrown up against the wall, where a bunch of new faces or no names compete to be the Queen or King of the “Nobody Cares.” Lisa thought after last week’s dominant re-debut, she deserved to be in a higher spot on the card for Patriot Games. But, she’d take any match. And if beating three competitors was what it would take for her name to be relevant again, she’d take that challenge on. Anyway, as we were saying, Lisa thought it might be an opportune moment to grab a drink or two from the local bar before she even began to think about the three competitors or the hellacious match itself.

The music was thumping loud and the bar was smoky, but it would do. All she was interested in anyway was the alcohol. As she slid up against the bar and took a seat on the red bar stool she noticed quite a few of the younger kids in the bar dancing. She smiled at their ridiculousness and looked towards the bartender for a cold friend.

“I’ll have a Long Island please,” she barked the order to him, hoping to assert her confidence and get it faster. It’s not like she wouldn’t have gotten attention tonight though, especially since she was in a leather top and the girls were out.

The bartender threw the drink down in front of her as we heard a vulture-like scream from across the bar. 

“OHHH MYYY GODDD!!! LISAAAA LYOOONS!” 

Lisa shrugged her shoulders, thinking it was an overly obsessed fan. She grabbed her cold drink and took a swig before doing a 180 in her bar stool to greet the fan. It was not, however, a fan that stood in her graces. Instead, it was a woman dressed in all purple, with purple streaks in her hair. It was Purple Reign. Lisa’s eyes got wide, realizing the mistake she had just made.

“What are you doing here!?” Purple yelled at her unnecessarily, only being a few inches away.

“Just grabbing a quick drink.”

“What!!!?” Purple screamed again, not hearing what Lisa had replied.

“Actually…” Lisa began to say as she downed her drink and stood up from the stool. “I was just about to head out.”

“What!?” Purple bellowed again in Lisa’s ear. It was strange how Lisa was able to make out what Purple was saying clearly, yet Purple couldn’t hear a word.

“I said I was on my way ou…” Lisa said, being interrupted by Purple.

“No, No, No. You can’t leave! We haven’t even danced yet!” Purple said, while grabbing Lisa’s arm and pulling her towards the dance floor. The pulling continued as Lisa tried to nicely persist. “No, I really have…” 

“Oh come on! One dance!” Purple continued the pulling until they were in the middle of the dance floor. At this point, they had become completely surrounded by other people dancing and Lisa really had no legitimate escape. As Lisa stood there, not much of a dancer, Purple had no hesitations in bumping and grinding up against her. As they danced, Purple yelled to other random people around them.

“This is Lisa! She totally saved my a*s last week! I owe her so much!” 

The people just nodded and smiled, as many do when there is an awkward drunk girl yelling in the room. Purple leaned in towards Lisa’s ears and in a drunken slur said,“You are my hero. I soooo want to make it up to you.” She finished her slur with a belch and giggle. "In Bed!" she unnecessarily screamed into Lisa's other ear. Lisa made an “ew” face and leaned in toward Purple’s ear.

“I’ve got to run to the bathroom really quick. Be back,” before Purple could respond or grab her, Lisa was wiggling her way through the mobs of people towards the bathroom. She took a breath once inside the bathroom. She had found a moment of escape as she leaned up against the sink and ran her hands through her hair. The bathroom stall to the left swung open and a woman inside walked up to the sink next to Lisa to wash her hands. Lisa continued to mumble to herself about possibly escaping through a bathroom window.

“Talking to yourself again Lyons?” the woman next to her said.

Lisa jumped up, thinking at first that it was Purple Reign. It wasn’t. The woman, who was now drying her hands, had dirty blonde highlights and was much shorter. Her top was knotted from behind and she had tight ripped jeans around her waist. Her makeup was done perfectly and her eyes sparkled a miraculous blue color. 

“Lacy?” Lisa questioned while doing a double take, and already knowing the answer.

“NO! I'm just another imaginary figment of your imagination you can ramble on to,”Lacy snarkly replied. 

“I’m sorry. I’m a little surprised to see an uptight Christian girl like you here,” Lisa snarled back.

Lacy placed a hand on her hip and rolled her eyes, not impressed with the comment.

“Your sense of humor is as bad as you’re ability to talk s**t.”

“I don’t need to talk good s**t to beat you apparently.”

The two women eyed one another up as both became heated from the argument.

“Why don’t you waddle your chunky a*s out of my bar,” Lacy said, throwing the paper towel away and pointing towards the exit.

“Your bar? What the hell do you think this is? Coyote Ugly?” Lisa lashed out one more time before quietly exiting the bathroom. Once outside it, she had the sudden realization that she was back in the spotlight and Purple could be anywhere. She swiveled her head quickly right and left, looking for an escape. After a few moments of stammering and lost causes, Lisa accidently made eye contact with Purple from across the room.

“S**t… S**t…S**t…” Lisa repeated to herself as Purple waved and began to slither her way through the bar towards Lisa. Lisa began to panic. From behind her, the door to the bathroom swung open, banging her left shoulder. Lisa reacted by turning around and making eye contact with whoever was exiting the bathroom. It was Lacy. Once again they made eye contact. Lisa jolted her head back around to see Purple halfway across the bar now. She looked back at Lacy who was staring at her with a “What the hell are you doing?” look. At that moment, for whatever reason, a light bulb went off in Lisa’s head. A huge smile came across her face as she leaned in towards Lacy, as if they were close friends. Lacy pulled back, confused and not liking the approach that Lisa was taking.

“Kiss me!” Lisa screamed at Lacy.

“What the f**k!?” Lacy replied back, continuing to pull away.

“Kiss me! You have to kiss me. I have psycho girl here chasing me!”

“HELL NO!”

“Please kiss me. Kiss me now!” Lisa’s voice began to get more desperate and persistent. She needed a distraction and she needed it now, by any means necessary.

“No.”

“Please!”

“No.”

“Just do it!”

“No,” Lacy refused, crossing her arms and now finding some humor in this.

“Please! I’ll pay for any drinks you have tonight. I promise!”

This caught Lacy’s attention, as did the look of urgency and desperation on Lisa's face, as she pondered the suggestion. Meanwhile, Purple was in yelling range of Lisa.

“Please!” Lisa made one more desperate bid for an escape.

“Hey Lis…” Purple began to yell, but quieted halfway through the scream as the huge grin on her face turned to a b***h frown. “What the hell?” Purple pouted to herself as she starred at the display a few feet away from her. 

Lacy had Lisa up against the wall, with one leg in the air, kissing her. Lacy ran her right hand through Lisa’s dark red-streaked hair and pushed her body closer towards her. 

Purple Reign shook her head in disgust until a few moments later a sexy big-assed woman walked past her. 
“Hey sexy, wait up!” Purple screamed, following the woman like a puppy dog across the bar. 

Upon it being safe and Purple being far enough away, Lacy pulled herself off Lisa. She spit on the wooden-covered floor and wiped her mouth. Lisa did the same. 

“Eww… disgusting,” Lacy let out, while fixing her make up.

“Thank you. She’s insane. Seriously,” Lisa gratefully said to soften the awkward situation.

“Just don’t ask me to do it again. And you’re paying my bar tab.”

“Yeah sure. I will. I’ve just got to get out of here before she comes back. Because… she will,” Lisa assured Lacy.

A loud man’s voice from a few bar stools down interrupted Lisa’s phrase. Recognizing the noise, Lacy looked over. Lacy saw the face of Kyle, the college student and former fling of Lacy's that ended quite badly to say the least. Recognizing his face, Lacy immediately looked down towards the ground.

“I think I’ll join you on that one,” she surprisingly said to Lisa, knowing she had to get out of the situation.

The two women grab one more drink from the bartender. Lisa pays. And they both exit the bar, hiding behind the huge groups of people. You’d think that was strange for a Tuesday night, but not in nowheresville Colorado.

--------------------------------------------------------------

“Hahahahahahhaaa.”

Loud laughter and joking noises come from inside of The Lyon’s Den. Inside, Lisa and Lacy, each with a bottle in their paws, are lying back against a huge pile of hay. Laughing their asses off and possibly tipsy, they make jokes back and forth with one another.

“So he fucsking sshays to me. We got unfinished business chic!” Lisa bellows over to Lacy.

“And I’m like… Do I look like I have feathers!? Hahaha.” She continues her pathetic joke.

“Did anyone ever tell you that you are so funny!” Lacy adds in, having had a few drinks of her own.

“Then tat freak joke show is like gonna stick a fork in my brains. HAHA!”

“I KNOW!” Lacy chuckles.

“But I did kick your butt at VBD.”

“Did not!”

“SO DID!”

“Haha…”

“Nooooo….” Lacy says, as they both continue to laugh and rant about random nonsense. 

As the scene begins to fade and the seemingly endless night proceeds, Lisa blabs out a few more senseless things.

“Lacy, Scarlet, Rose. Lacy, Scarlet, Rose. Lacy, Scarlet, Rose.”

“What?”

“Lacy. That’s not your real name. What’s your real name?”

“Lacy.”

“Your real-real name.”

“Lacy.”

“Hmm… that doesn’t seem right.”

“You wanna dance?” Lacy asks.

“Sure! I love dancing!” Lisa says, already jumping up to her feet. 

The two women shake themselves around with no music on the pile of hay, falling down once in a while, only to more laughter and uncontrolled behavior.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sun shines through the door of the barn and birds swoop through the empty area. A bottle of water splashes down on Lacy’s golden-brown skin, waking her from a resting position in the hay. She jumps up as the cold liquid hits her. Blinking her eyes, make-up runs down her cheeks.

“What the hell?” she yells to anyone or thing in the near distance.

Standing above her is a fully cleaned-up Lisa, dressed in fresh clothing and with her hair done. Her arms are crossed and she looks as if she just got done puking five times. Which, very well could have been the case. Lacy, who looked headed down that path, took a moment to realize where she was and how she got there.

“I can’t believe I slept in hay all night,” she said, picking herself up.

“Yeah…” Lisa half-assed replied, eyeing up the mess the two of them made the night before.

“So do you…?”

“…….”

“Oh yeah. I should get going,” Lacy saw the look on Lisa’s face and realized what was going on. She rapidly collected herself and tried to fix her make-up and hair quickly. 

Now feeling rather badly for what she just insinuated, Lisa tried to be friendly. 
“Well it’s no rush. I have nowhere to be. I was going to try and get some training in actually. If you want to be my partner?”

“Partner?” Lacy looked up, assuming something completely different and not quite fully awake yet.

“Sparring partner?” Lisa said in a “duh” tone.

“Oh yeah… ah yeah sure. I’ve got a little bit of time. What gym do you train at?” Lacy answered the right question, trying to sound busy.

Lisa didn’t say a word in reply, only looked up at the ring standing next to her in the abandoned barn.

“OHH… of coarse. I must have missed that last night,” Lacy said, ashamed.

Lisa reached a hand down and pulled Lacy up from the hay. They then walked over towards the ring and climbed inside. Once there, they begin to stretch out their sore limbs. Lacy massages and turns her neck from left to right. 

“Oww…” she says in pain as the muscle turns too far.

"You ok?” Lisa asks.

“Yeah… I am now,” she says, rolling her eyes.

“Ohh… sorry about that,” Lisa replies, realizing what had caused this particular pain for Lacy this morning. 

“Well that spinning heel kick you got me with at VBD was a stinger for a few hours after the match. That’s one I never learned in wrestling school,” Lisa said, trying to change the subject.

“Really? It’s not too difficult. Here,” Lacy said, standing up and positioning Lisa. 

As they continued the discussion in the middle of the ring, Lacy used her hands to describe how to complete the move. How ironic it was. How life can throw us curve balls in a matter of one week. 

-------------------------------------------------------------

After a few hours working out in the heat of day, Lisa sat on the edge of the ring, with sweet beads running down her skin and breathing heavily. Now dressed in a sports bra and black workout pants, her chest is pounding as she leans back against the ring ropes. The “nature” quiet numbs Lisa as she takes in the surroundings and begins to think deeply. Before she can hit the point of no return, the buzzer on her cell phone goes off. 

She jumps down and listens to where the noise is coming from. Stumbling up the hay pile, she reaches through the strands of what had been her bed the night before. Finally, she finds it and flips it open. Inside, it is lit up and a new video message from Lacy comes up on the screen. Lisa didn’t recall even adding Lacy to her contact list. But, then again, she didn’t remember much of the night before. In the text part of the message it says, 
“I didn’t think you would remember, so I taped this. Good luck this weekend.” Not sure of what it might be of, but anxious to find out, she presses play. 


Quote:

“How about you? Why did you leave RMP anyway?” Lacy is seen in the video lying against the hay-covered floor looking over at Lisa while asking the question.

“I’m a bit of a trouble-maker, I guess you could say,” half laughing and half serious, Lisa mumbles the answer.

“And you came back?”
 

“Everyone has their reasons,” Lisa says, more serious this time.

“What were yours?” not pleased with the answers she was getting, Lacy prods for more information.

“Do you want me to kiss you again?” Clearly fed up with the questions and averting to a way out, Lisa blurts out the statement.

Dead silence hits the air.
 

“Because honestly I’ll do it. That’s why I was forced to quit in the first place…” Lisa says, trying to fill the awkward silence but failing miserably. 

“Are you hitting on me?” Lacy slaps Lisa’s arm while asking.

“Hitting on you? Are you kidding? You are more stupid than I thought. Don’t you get it? You preachy, big-boobed, good ol’ Christian girl? No, no, no. Hell no. Not you. I just wanted to shut you up ok,” Lisa stammers over her words.

Lacy nods her head in place, without muttering a response.

They continue to lie there, staring up at the stars in the sky for a few passes of the clock.
 

Lacy takes another sip of the beer and shows no hesitation as she leans and hovers over Lisa. She bends down and gives Lisa a peck on the lips.

“Why did you do that? I said I wasn’t hitting on you?” Lisa stupidly asks her.

“Dunno, I just kinda felt like it. It gets tiring playing by the book all the time. Sometimes you gotta break the rules.” Lacy smartly says with a smirk and a wink.

“S**t we are going to get fired,” Lisa whispers as the two giggle and get close to one another.



The video ends with Lisa impulsively wanting more. She tries to press the play button, but the video has hit its end. She rewinds and replays it again, trying to pick up more pieces of the puzzle to the picture of what else was talked about or had happened the night before. 

Halfway through the third play of the video, the screen lights up again. Lisa rushes to open the new message. This one is another video. In the text section it says,
“Woops…. Wrong one. Sorry. "Rose”

If that was the wrong one, what could this one possibly contain? She presses the play button, waiting for answers.


Quote:

In this one Lacy and Lisa are lying back against the hay in identical positions. They both look about ready to fall asleep. Lisa’s eyes are halfway shut as they both look up at the starry night sky.

“It’s like, I wish I could just grab those people and tell them. I’ll never give up on you. I would do anything for you. For as long as I’m living I will fight for your rights, your sex, you’re equality. That’s why I came back. That’s why I’m here. This is my chance to be brave for all of them.”


“That’s really deep…” Lacy whispered back over to Lisa.

“…….”

At that moment, either Lisa had fallen asleep or went into deep thought mode, because she remained quiet the rest of the evening. But, not before, she had offered that small piece of understanding to someone who was her biggest enemy only days earlier.



The video came to an end, leaving Lisa dazed and a little shocked that she had said those things. Inside, those thoughts may have popped into her mind every now and again. But, to hear them allowed, to hear herself saying them to another person, it was an all new feeling to her. She tried to contain herself, but didn’t know how to express what she was feeling inside. This was something she had struggled with for so long. Either way, it always ended up coming out once she stepped inside the ring. And it looked like, other than a trustfulness she had for some reason with Lacy, this week would be no different. 

The scene faded with Lisa pressing delete on her phone’s inbox.

© 2012 Lisa Lyon


Author's Note

Lisa Lyon
Ignore the wrestling aspect. I'm more into the creative writing and story telling. More of the story to come. Like 250 pages of it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

235 Views
Added on February 2, 2012
Last Updated on February 2, 2012
Tags: story, sports, wrestling, love, romance

Author

Lisa Lyon
Lisa Lyon

St. Paul, MN



About
Hi :) I'm just a girl who hasn't quite found her place in this world. I'm just a kid discovering who I am. I'm a person who doesn't really understand how humanity can possess so much hatred. I'm an in.. more..

Writing
Lemons Lemons

A Poem by Lisa Lyon