Meetings With Mortie: The Old Man

Meetings With Mortie: The Old Man

A Story by Lu Zamber

The Old Man

 

Hospitals always creeped out Mortie. One would assume that nothing could scare him; due to the fact that in a way, he is fear itself. There was something about them that gave him the chills. Maybe it was the way it smelled, the colors, or perhaps the aura around the people sitting, waiting in that emergency room. Some of them with blood all over them. Some crying, some talking to other family members. Or maybe it was just the fact that he just hated how some people were treated in there if they did not have something called “health insurance”. Whatever the reason, he truly despised having a meeting there on that beautiful rainy and gloomy day, Mortie loved Sunny days, but he hadn’t seen one in many, many years, when he was around, even the sun hid from him, so he grew accustomed to the dark… “I could be outside playing in the rain, but no, Good Old Mortie has to be here”, he thought to himself. Today he was looking for a man: Benjamin Rhodes, age 88 years old. Benjamin needed a friend today more than ever; he needed a soul to talk to. It is hard to hit such a high age and have no friends to share certain moments with. Mortie’s purpose was to ease that pain.

“Good morning darling, I am looking for room 346.” Mortie asked the receptionist with a smile.

“Certainly, sir”, she replied while typing some words in her computer, “Are you the son?” She continued smiling.

“No, just an old friend…” still smiling he continued with a wink, “I need to catch up with him you know? Maybe play some bingo” he continued sarcastically.

She smiled understanding. “He would love anything. Mr. Rhodes doesn’t like visitors, usually, but I think he will be happy to see an old friend, may I see your ID please?”

“I tell you what darling, how about we skip the ID and you just let me in…” Mortie smiled, charming and more handsome than ever. For today’s meeting, he chose blue eyes, blond hair, a middle age look, and a beautiful hair due which would make any Hollywood Star feel jealous of him. “…I am ashamed of my age.”, he continued looking directly into her eyes, hypnotized, and without control she replied “Anything for you Mister…”

“Call me, Mortie.” He winked. “Mister was my father”, he pointed up as he finished stating with a smile brighter than the hospital lights, his beautiful white teeth shinier than pearls “I’m just plain old, Mortie”

“Go right ahead Mortie, I hope you two bachelors have fun!” She smiled as she handed him a visitor’s pass.

Mortie could have simply manifest himself in Mr. Rhode’s room. On the other hand, he could have walked by while blending in as the doctor, or by passing everybody without even being noticed as an invisible cold wind. However, he liked to interact with people and use his “talents” on them. He enjoyed the way humans tried their best to enjoy their lives, he wanted to feel some of this joy himself. Mortie loved humans, but his job, well his job is not the nicest. He hated his job, some days more than others, especially in the instances when children have been involved. However, he accepts his curse, and wears it proudly like a giant “A” on his chest. The curse made him who he was, it made him unique, it made him…Special.

Mortie took the elevator this time, he knew how lazy people are, and knew he was not going to get to see anyone on the stairwell. He hated Hospitals, but he loved interaction. He got in, and in fact, two doctors shared the ride to the third floor, one of them stared him up and down. Mortie acknowledged both doctors with a simple good morning and a smile. “Eat your veggies Docs,” he said with a smile as he exits. “See you in a few years” he said softly as the doors closed behind him.

 The trek to room 346 was easy and smooth, only a few looks followed him. He loved the attention, he loved being watched, he knew nobody truly was aware of the reason why he was there. “If they only knew…” he thought with a sad nod. Mortie stood in front of the door to the room for one minute preparing himself, and finally entered the room.

 With a bittersweet feeling in his soul, or at least what he thought was a soul, he said “Good Morning, Mr. Rhodes”.

“Who is that?” The old man replied with a squint in his eyes, while reaching for his glasses. “…Is it time for my pill yet?”

“My name is Mortie Mr. Rhodes, and no, you are up to date with your medicine” Mortie replied looking at his watch “…I am just paying you a quick visit…”

“A quick visit?” He interrupted “well I am used to those!” The old man replied with a cough.

The Cancer was at a very advanced stage for Mr. Rhodes, He had been diagnosed with it 2 months ago, and it had taken over his lungs as quick as all the smoke he had inhaled for so many years from a horrible cigarette addiction. There was only so much Chemo and pills could do for him. He had started smoking when he was only 11 years of age, his father had caught him smoking a cigarette, and as a punishment he made him smoke the whole pack. Ironically, the punishment had done the opposite and with a mix of rebellion and addiction, he never stopped smoking until the cancer hit.

Naturally by the time he stopped the disgusting habit, it was too late. Mr. Rhodes had one son who had lived overseas for several years since he has met his now wife in Paris. He would call during the Holidays, and on his birthday, and if he was lucky he would check once a week on him with the hospital staff. Other than that, he had no time for his old man.

“I am sorry to hear that Mr. Rhodes; do you mind if I grab a seat?” Mortie asked as he pointed toward the empty chair next to his bed.

“Why? Are you staying long?” He replied with sadness in his eyes.

“I have nowhere to be for the next few hours, so yeah, I’ll hang out. Besides My old legs need a rest,” Mortie replied smiling.

“Old?” The man smiled “Have you seen me son?” A cheerful laugh leaving his lungs followed by a cough.

“Don’t let my face fool you, I have gray hairs in places I didn’t know I could get gray hair” Mortie smiled.

“Story of my life” The old man smiled back “Who are you?” The old man continued. “If you are not a doctor, who the hell else wants to just hang out with an old man like me?”

“Like I said, I am just passing by, and I figured I’d stop by and pay you a quick visit. It is what I do, I go around and I talk to people.” He pulled out a small notepad and a pencil.

“Are you a reporter?” The old man asked confused.

“More like a writer, or a debt collector, or a Repo man. You take your pick.” He raised his pencil in the air, and took a note. “What is your story Mr. Rhodes?”

“Enough with the mister…” He grunted “Just call me Ben, I am old, but damn! No need to be formal with a dying man” He extended his hand for a handshake.

“Nice to meet you Ben…” Mortie shook his hand. “It is my pleasure to make your acquaintance”

Ben pull away quickly as Mortie’s hand was very cold to the touch, but he chose not to make a comment. “So what would you like to know Mortie? What are you interviewing me about?” He sat up on his bed.

Mortie looked around the room, taking in every last detail of the cold room, and ready to start the meeting. He checked his pocket watch and continued.

“Why are you dying Ben?” He asked straight to the point. “What brings you to this beautiful penthouse…?” He pointed around the room with a grin in his face.

“Terminal Lung Cancer Mortie, I am to kick the bucket any minute now…” He laughed. “Depressing as hell huh?” He started to cough.

“That’s tough Ben, but I see that you are taking it considerably well, very few men look at death in the face and laugh at it…” Mortie winked as he wrote something on his note pad, he smiled to himself as if enjoying the previous sentence and its innuendo. “What is your secret to staying so cool and calm about it?”

“There is no secret Mortie, but there is nothing I can do about it, I can either dwell on it, or simply accept it, and wait for the good old reaper to get me” a mix of laughter and coughing took over him.

“There is no such thing as The Reaper Ben” Mortie smiled

“Either way I am ready to kick his a*s IF he shows up” Ben said.

Mortie noticed something in the old man’s eyes, he knew that this man’s moments were counted, but he also saw in his eyes hope, and love and happiness with a layer of sadness around it. This was a fascinating thing for Mortie…Emotions. He envied his interviewees for being able to “feel” things, for being able to lie so well, to love, to drive their lives full of compassion. The man sitting in front of him seemed like a true example of someone who had felt it all.

“Do you have any family Ben? Mortie asked concerned.

The old man’s expression changed drastically, as if the question caused more pain than the cancer ever has. “My wife passed away ten years ago, Leukemia.” The man’s face full of sorrow “She was my life, and I had to watch her decay slowly, day by day. Same way I am decaying now, surviving thanks to drugs…” He pointed at his IV. “I f*****g hate cancer” he continued.

“I hate it too Ben, it’s a b***h” he smiled and the old man followed up with a small laugh of his own.

“That is ONE way to look at it I guess” He shrugged.

“What was her name Ben? Your wife’s?” Mortie asked intrigued.

“Her name was Linda, and she was the most beautiful woman on this freaking planet man” He reached to the small nightstand drawer and pulled out an old, wrinkly wallet from it. A picture laid inside, which he took out with a shaky hand, and handed to Mortie. “Wasn’t she gorgeous?”

Mortie reached out for the picture, “Beautiful indeed Ben, you are a lucky man…” he returned the picture. “Who did you have to kill to get her?” Mortie joked.

Ben smiled “That was the best part Mortie, she loved me from day one! I don’t know what I ever did right to deserve her, but I guess it was meant to be” Tears filled the old man’s eyes.

There were times when Mortie wished he could hug the people he visits and tell them that everything was going to be ok, re-assure them that this life was nothing but the tip of a more beautiful iceberg. Mortie almost “felt” something every time he heard these stories, but he would never be sure since he did not know what “feeling” was but every time he did one of these visits, he came closer and closer to understanding pain. Mortie was the cause many of these families he visits are no longer together, but he does not have choice, he must do his job.

“I am very sorry to hear Ben; I promise you that Linda still remembers you wherever she may be” Mortie replied.

The old man cleaned the tears off his eyes and continued… “Here is to hoping” He raised a nearby glass of water he had for his medicine, and took a sip.

“Did you guys have any kids?” Mortie asked.

“Yes, just one kid, he was our miracle boy. Linda and I tried to get pregnant for years when we finally were able to have him…” Ben pulled out another picture form the old wallet. “His name is Robert, or Rob for short, and that is his wife, and kid in the picture, little Robbie and her name…I forget her name” He laughed.

“She looks like an ‘Amanda’ to me” Mortie joked. “I think it’s the jawline, or the fact that she looks like a b***h,” The old man laughed.

“Where are they? I would assume that they would be here with you?” Mortie continued, turning the page on his small notebook.

The old man shook his head “They live in Europe, which is where my son works, so I don’t see them often” He put the picture back in his wallet. “So I am a lonely and cranky old man,” he laughed.

“You are not cranky at all Ben! Old yeah, but cranky, nahh” Mortie winked making the old man laugh even more. “You are an awesome guy Ben,” Mortie asserted.

The old man and Mortie exchanged thoughts and experiences for several hours, two nurses made rounds while this took place and were happy to see that good old Mr. Rhodes was laughing as if he never had laughed before in the eight moths he had been there. Dementia must be taking over, the nurses thought since he was speaking to himself and laughing in front of no one in their eyes. There was no visitor for them, only an empty chair, and an old man enjoying life once more.

“You know Mortie, you remind me of myself when I was younger, before my blonde became gray…” He continued, “I think that is why I like you”

“I am very glad to hear that you do Ben! I sort of like you too” He laughed, and continued, “Say Ben, tell me, if I may ask, If you could change one thing about your life; what would it be?” Mortie asked changing the subject.

“Honestly…I wouldn’t change a damn thing Mortie!” He replied with a big smile on his face. “NOT a damn thing”

Mortie smiled.

“I had a great life!” Ben continued proudly.

“Not even the Cancer sticks Ben?” Mortie pulled out a cigarette from his shirt pocket.

“Well, maybe that…” He continued “But It was part of my life, I had fun, I enjoyed, and It is what it is now”

“I respect that Ben, a man with no regrets” Mortie put the cigarette back in his shirt pocket.

“You are not gonna smoke that?” Ben asked.

“No, those things can kill you Ben” Mortie and the old man shared a loud laugh.

“Thanks for the tip Mortie” Ben laughed and coughed loudly. “You know, I do have to be honest with you Mortie; I lied to you before…”

“About what exactly Ben?” Mortie asked intrigued.

“About death…” he continued, “I am terrified about dying Mortie, I am terrified about dying alone, I just want one more meaningful moment in my life”

The walls the old man had around him fell in a quick second. The pain and loneliness finally reflecting through his eyes, and into Mortie’s gaze. The part that Mortie hated the most was coming soon; he knew that now the old man was ready for the next step. The question was how to break the news to him?

“I promise you that you will not die alone Ben” Mortie stood up and walked toward the window of the room, opening it, and letting a nice breeze in.

“What do you mean? I could die any minute now, and I basically have, no family” The old man’s eyes filled with tears again.

“Do you have any clue who I am Ben? Any slight hint of why I am here today?” Mortie showed Ben his notepad, it was full of names, and numbers, his name was on the list as well with a check mark on it.

A look of relieve and sadness in the old man’s eyes gave Mortie a clue that he had a feeling as to who he was, to what IT was. Ben was not scared however

“You are not a reporter, are you?” Ben asked.

“I am not, but I am sort of a story collector Ben, I know how much pain you are in, I know how alone you feel, I can change all of that” Mortie smiled. “I want you to think of me as the one person in this world who truly understands you are feeling. There is only so much Morphine they can give you to ease the pain Ben” Mortie came closer to Ben. “Do not be scared, this is just the beginning, and what comes next is truly a beautiful experience”

The old man looked out the window, thinking to himself of all the beautiful moments he had in his life. Thinking about Linda, and all the times they spent together. Wishing he could go back and spend one more day with her…One more minute.

“I thought you said the reaper wasn’t real Mortie,” Ben asked with tears in his eyes.

“What is real Ben? What is life, but a blindfold that we put on to go through our day to day routine, convincing ourselves that roses are red, and that the sky is blue?” Mortie looked at the clock. “And my name is Mortie, I told you that already I’m just a friend, I don’t define myself with words created by paranoid men…No offense” He smiled.

“So, you are de…” the old man started coughing before he could finish his sentence.

“Don’t say that word Ben, you will never be able to say it when I’m around” Mortie looked at his pocket watch again.

“But you are, aren’t you?” The old man continued

“What I am, is not what’s relevant here, is what I can do that makes me a hero or a villain, depending on the story Ben…” Mortie put his notepad away “All the pain can end just with a touch Ben if you truly want it, that is all it takes, I can make it all go away” Mortie smiled.

“Will I see my friends again? And my Linda?” he asked with tears in his eyes.

“Every single one of them, the ones who left you already, and the ones who will leave after you. And yes the love of your life as well. Linda is already here, you just don’t know it yet. Time is irrelevant where you will be going” Mortie extended his hand.

The old man felt a peace that he had never felt before. He could breathe easy for the first time in months since the disease had taken over. He felt like a young man again.

“Mortie, It was a pleasure to have met you, will I ever see you again?” Old Ben asked with a sigh of relief.

“There is no end where you will be going Ben, you will never need to see me again. That is all I can share with you” Mortie said with a soothing voice. “Besides, you don’t wanna see this ugly mug again, do ya?” Mortie followed up by pointing at his own face and raising an eyebrow to the sky.

“I mean, it is a handsome face.” Old Ben smiled.

“I’ll see what I can do Ben, but for now, it is time to rest” Mortie reached out once more.

“Thank you Mortie…. Linda, my love…I have missed you” He grabbed Mortie’s hand.

Ben had a life full of love, adventure, and some regret, but in the end, he had one last moment, which made his last breath worth a thousand lives. Mortie’s presence disappeared and the soft sunlight and breeze entered the room through the open window. The flat lines echoed across the room as the nurses rushed in the room to find Mr. Rhode’s laying on the bed, lifeless, with a smile on his face which made him look as if he was just in a tender dream. Ben Rhodes was not suffering anymore, he had found his love once again, even after death.

 

© 2023 Lu Zamber


Author's Note

Lu Zamber
Please, this is a rough draft, and it may have mistakes. It has only been edited quickly once. Enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

44 Views
Added on December 4, 2023
Last Updated on December 4, 2023
Tags: Death, Mortie, Grim, Reaper, Dead, life, love, romance, mystery, story, short, fiction, pain, dark, horror, thriller

Author

Lu Zamber
Lu Zamber

NJ



About
My name is Luis, and I love to write, draw, photograph, direct, and animate. Writing is way for me to release the many characters, and voices that my mind creates. I hope to one day touch many lives w.. more..

Writing