Case 39.2.B

Case 39.2.B

A Story by MJ Cherlylyn
"

“We accept the love we think we deserve.” -Stephen Chbosky

"

Court Papers for Case 39.2.B

Written by court clerk MJ Cherylyn

CRAVIS vs. SHIRE


JUDGE TALER arrives and declares the court in order.


JUDGE TALER

Court case 39.2.B of CRAVIS vs. SHIRE is in third and final day of trial. MS. CRAVIS, as the biological mother of MIKEY BAYL, declares she should get full custody. MS. SHIRE, MIKEY’S new stepmother, claims she is better suited to take the child. MS. SHIRE, you begin.


SHIRE’s lawyer LIESEL ALBRECHT stands. ALBRECHT is a well known lawyer for her accountability and factual presentation. She is one of the best in the business for her persuasive arguments and exclusiveness. She is extremely expensive and selective. A woman at the age of forty-five, she has enough expertise and experience to be a judge. She has only lost three cases in decades of work. She is the lawyer for the billion dollar company RithTech and only works their cases. This is an anomaly that garnered some public interest.


ALBRECHT

We call MS. CRAVIS to the stand.


ALBRECHT sits, CRAVIS takes the stand. She has heavy makeup and a bruise on her right cheekbone. She slumps down in her seat, seemingly going through withdrawal. Her skin is unnaturally yellow, there are large bags under her eyes. She is wearing little clothing, heavy makeup and several piercings. She is twenty-five years old. She is notorious for her alcohol abuse and violent behavior. She’s snappish, harsh, bitter and sassy. She is the biological mother of MIKEY and the ex-wife of MIKEY’s father, LUCAS BAYL. When the two split, LUCAS received full custody of their son.


ALBRECHT

You don’t look well, MS. CRAVIS. May I ask why?


CRAVIS

I work myself to death every night. I’m tired.


ALBRECHT

Is that so? Are you sure it’s not the hangover or the prohibition?


ALBRECHT turns to face the jury.


ALBRECHT

What MS. CRAVIS and your lawyer don’t want you to know is that five days prior, MS. CRAVIS was arrested for a D.U.I. She caused two thousand, four hundred and fifty dollars in damages for crashing into a fire hydrant.


ALBRECHT looks to CRAVIS.


ALBRECHT

MS. CRAVIS, would you like to admit to this?


CRAVIS rolls her eyes and groans. She folds her arms across her chest and leans back her chair until she can put her feet up.


CRAVIS

I’m not admitting to anything I didn’t do.


ALBRECHT walks to her table and opens a folder. She pulls out several papers and walks to JUDGE TALER. JUDGE TALER flips through the papers, nodding at what she sees. ALBRECHT faces the courtroom, pointing at CRAVIS.


ALBRECHT

A woman guilty of numerous D.U.I.s is not fit to raise a child.


CRAVIS’s lawyer PETER JENNINGS bolts to his feet.


JENNINGS
Objection!


JUDGE TALER
Overruled. ALBRECHT, continue.


JENNINGS sits down, ALBRECHT walks to the jury.


ALBRECHT

There you have it. MS. CRAVIS was recently imprisoned because she cannot even take care of herself. My client, MS. SHIRE, has never been arrested. Ask yourself who is more trustworthy with a young child. Who would you pick to raise your child? MIKEY’s biological father, RICK BAYL, chose MS. SHIRE. Defense, your witness.


ALBRECHT takes a seat next to SHIRE, JENNINGS stands. He strolls over to CRAVIS slowly. A man in his early thirties, he is known for being very cocky and arrogant. He plays dirty and does whatever it takes to win, and he usually does. He’s known for being impossible to trust. He’s a slick womanizer who likes to gamble- he fits right into Las Vegas. He often repeats any information he finds important, annoying many fellow lawyers or judges, as it’s his only persuasion tool.


JENNINGS
MS. CRAVIS, how long have you had your job?


CRAVIS

Three years.


JENNINGS

Three years. That’s a long time. How do you do it?


CRAVIS

I’m on time, I work hard.


JENNINGS faces the jury, hands behind his back. He paces back and forth in front of them.


JENNINGS

As we heard yesterday, her boss would agree. Let me refresh your memory: he said CRAVIS was one of his most trusted workers. She was punctual. She was diligent. He said he has no reasons to fire her anytime soon. CRAVIS has a steady job. MS. CRAVIS, what is your hourly income at your job?


CRAVIS
$25 per hour.


JENNINGS

You work for how many hours a day?


CRAVIS

Around twelve.


JENNINGS
How many days you have off in a week?


CRAVIS

Just one.


JENNINGS

Six days, twelve hours a day, $25 per hour. Jury, let me tell you, that’s $1,800 dollars per week. $7,200 per month. $86,400 a year. That is well above minimum wage. CRAVIS can financially support this child. Think about that, folks.


JENNINGS walks back to his table.


JENNINGS

No further questions.


CRAVIS returns to the table and sits next to JENNINGS. ALBRECHT stands and walks over to the jury, facing JUDGE TALER.


ALBRECHT

The offense calls MS. SHIRE to the stand.


MS. SHIRE, a twenty-four-year-old woman, walks to the stand. She has fair skin and wears little makeup. Her hair is pulled back in a neat side braid, she dresses professionally with a slick jacket and matching skirt. She recently married the biological father of MIKEY before he died from a terminal illness. She sits at the stand as ALBRECHT turns to face the jury.


ALBRECHT

Before I talk to MS. SHIRE, I would like to tell the members of the jury what CRAVIS does for a living. She is a manager at McDonald’s. Stable job? Not really. She would likely bring MIKEY to the McDonald’s, where he would not only be fed unhealthy food, but he would be playing in their play pit, picking up and contracting several illnesses.


There are several gasps in the jury, the court begins whispering.


CRAVIS

Oh my gosh. You’re one of those lame-a*s vegan hippies. She’d be fine.


JUDGE TALER

MS. CRAVIS, I will not tolerate any outbursts. ALBRECHT, continue.


ALBRECHT walks over to MS. SHIRE.


ALBRECHT

MS. SHIRE, if you were awarded custody of MIKEY, what would your hourly income be?


SHIRE

$50 each hour.


ALBRECHT

How long would your hours be?


SHIRE

Eight to five o’clock.


ALBRECHT

Weekends off?


SHIRE

Yes.


ALBRECHT

In a year, MS. SHIRE will make $108,000. I must ask, what will your job be, MS. SHIRE?


SHIRE

Computer engineer.


ALBRECHT

A computer engineer? That seems like it requires more education than a McDonald’s manager.


CRAVIS
Oh, shut up!


JUDGE TALER

Silence, MS. CRAVIS, or you will make my decision very easy.


CRAVIS sulks down in her seat, rolling her eyes. ALBRECHT clears her throat and continues.


ALBRECHT

How did you meet the requirements for this job?


SHIRE

I attended college at Stanford University for all four years.


ALBRECHT turns to the entire court and enunciates carefully and loudly.


ALBRECHT

A college graduate? That’s impressive, considering MS. CRAVIS never even passed junior year in high school.


CRAVIS

Oh, whatever. Like that matters.


JUDGE TALER

You had your chance. You will now be silent, MS. CRAVIS.


ALBRECHT

Stanford University is one of the most expensive and prestigious schools in the entire nation. Students have an 11% chance of getting in. MS. SHIRE not only got in, but had a grade point average of 4.1.


ALBRECHT turns back to SHIRE.


ALBRECHT

How did you get into Stanford?


SHIRE

My grades were part of it. I had a 5.0 GPA in high school.


ALBRECHT

5.0? Is that true?


SHIRE

Yes.


ALBRECHT

Jury, in case you are not aware, that means MS. SHIRE received flawless grades in all advanced classes. Not only is MS. SHIRE undoubtedly intellectually superior and has a better track record- she has never once been arrested or so much as a ticket- she can financially support MIKEY and will be able to spend more time with him in a more stable environment.


ALBRECHT strides to her seat.


ALBRECHT

Defense, your witness


JENNINGS looks nervously at CRAVIS. He slowly walks to the stand, where SHIRE looks comfortable and stable, unlike CRAVIS, has begun shaking. JENNINGS stands in front of SHIRE for a minute and twelve seconds before speaking.


JENNINGS
You said your grades were part of your admission to Stanford. What else got you in?


SHIRE tenses, suddenly looking very nervous. Her stability disappears as her eyes widen and goosebumps cover her body. She clenches her hands into fists and takes a deep breath.


SHIRE

My parents paid for it.


JENNINGS

Your parents paid for it. Who are your parents?


SHIRE shifts a little in her seat. JENNINGS begins to tap his foot and folds his arms across his chest. He glances at his client, giving her a slight nod. SHIRE is silent for almost a minute. She looks down at the ground, her head hanging low in shame.


SHIRE

I’d like to take the fifth.


The crowd and jury gasp and begin murmuring, but quiet down as JENNINGS launches his attack.


JENNINGS
You’d like to take the fifth? Why? Why can’t you tell me? What is so wrong with your parents that you can’t tell me? That you can’t tell the jury? We can’t let a child go into the care of someone who has grandparents too bad to even speak of.


ALBRECHT swooshes onto her feet, using her arms to stand in an instant. She does so in a swift motion, unlike JENNINGS’s loud, sudden jolts.


ALBRECHT

Objection. Your honor, MR. JENNINGS is aggressively harassing MS. SHIRE.


JUDGE TALER
She can refuse to speak if she wishes, JENNINGS.


SHIRE looks to ALBRECHT, who gives her a solemn nod as she sits back down. SHIRE, at first well composed and calm, is now gloomy and grimm. Her eyes are large and show fear.


SHIRE

No. I’ll speak.


JENNINGS
You’ll speak? Then please, tell us.


JENNINGS smiles sadistically and smugly, sure that he’s going to win. SHIRE takes a deep breath.


SHIRE
My parents are ABBY HILLANT and JACOB RITH.


The crowd gasps, bursting into noisy talk that makes it impossible to hear anything else. JUDGE TALER slams her gavel three times.


JUDGE TALER
Order! Order!

The crowd dies down after JUDGE TALER tries thrice, and JENNINGS takes a moment to regain his composure. He seems shocked and unprepared for the first time. He is no longer smug in the slightest.


JENNINGS
ABBY HILLANT and JACOB RITH? B-but your name is... LIELA SHIRE.


SHIRE

I changed my name after I graduated college from LOUISE RITH and completely lost contact with my parents. My lawyer has the documentation to prove it.


ALBRECHT brings another folder to JUDGE TALER. Containing driver’s licenses, certificate of name change and verification papers, JUDGE TALER nods. ALBRECHT returns to her seat. JENNINGS looks at JUDGE TALER nervously, eyes wide and mouth hanging open.


JENNINGS

Objection.

JENNINGS does not sound at all sincere or cocky as he was moments ago. He’s doing it more because he has to than because he thinks it isn’t true.


JUDGE TALER

Overruled.


The court begins whispering, JENNINGS is completely shocked. SHIRE stares blankly ahead, like she’s watching something behind her eyes. JENNINGS turns to SHIRE, sweating profusely.


JENNINGS
Why?


SHIRE

They never showed me any love. From the moment I was born, I never got any attention or care. But suddenly, when I was four years old and they were locked in divorce court, they’d both rather cut off their arms than live without me. They abused me emotionally, mentally and physically. Every time our stock went down, my father would get his rage out by hitting me. He wouldn’t let me eat sometimes. If we lost a thousand dollars, he was convinced that we were bankrupt and we couldn’t waste money on food. Every time our stock went up, my alcoholic mother got her fury out by shouting at me. So I ran away. I don’t want them to hurt me anymore. I don’t want any association with RithTech. The second they became the biggest company in the country, my parents had too much responsibility and stress with the company that they ignored me. They made fools of themselves time after time again in public, and my father would sooner take his assistant of three months on an exclusive vacation to the Maldives or the Bahamas than buy me a single Christmas present in the twenty-one years I spent living with him.


SHIRE pauses. Her eyes start watering, and she wipes them with her thumbs. She coughs to clear her throat. Her fear has been replaced with sorrow.


SHIRE
That’s why I love MIKEY as much as I do. I see so much of myself in him. I see the parent who never cared acting like they do. I see the future of abuse and neglect. I see the pain of custody battles. I see him growing up to be worse than me, because MS. CRAVIS won’t be able to put him in a college.


SHIRE tenses up, her bottom lip trembling.


SHIRE
If I need to, I have my parent’s excessive financial support. I could turn to them if I absolutely must. But I don’t want to, and I shouldn’t need to.


Tears begin to fall down SHIRE’s cheeks.


SHIRE
I don’t care what I have to do. I’ll change my name back to LOUISE RITH, I’ll claim my share of the company. I’ll face the people who’ve done nothing but hurt me for twenty-one years. I will do anything it takes to keep MIKEY safe. When I was a girl, I needed a hero. I can be the hero MIKEY needs. I can give him the life of compassion and care I never had.


SHIRE begins to completely sob. A box of tissues is passed to her.


SHIRE
I didn’t want to be a mother at first. I was just doing a favor for my only friend. But now, I see that he needs me. I needed someone desperately when I was going through what he is. He needs someone strong. He needs me, and I need him. I used to think I could live my life alone, loveless and without ever getting close to anyone. I can’t. If I can’t keep MIKEY safe and take care of him, I will not be able to live with myself. I will die alone after years of drowning in regret. MIKEY means the world to me.


SHIRE turns to face the jury.


SHIRE

Twenty years ago, the jury in charge of my safety failed. They ruined my life. Please, I’m begging you, please,don’t do the same for this boy.


SHIRE pauses for a moment to catch her breath and blow her nose.


SHIRE

My parents hurt me horribly. They made such a strong impact that I thought I would never be able to love. I was wrong. I love MIKEY. I don’t love my parents, I don’t love myself, but I love MIKEY with all my heart. And you have no idea how important it is to hear that you’re loved. I will tell MIKEY every day: I love you. I love you, MIKEY. Someone loves you. You are loved. Love is so significant. You can have everything, like my parents did. But if you don’t have love, you have nothing. If you have nothing and gain love, however, you have everything. Please... let me give MIKEY my everything.


The entire court is absolutely silent. JENNINGS sits down without a word. SHIRE is moments from a complete breakdown, doing everything she can to prevent it. ALBRECHT stands and strolls in front of the jury.


ALBRECHT

MS. SHIRE cares infinitely more for MIKEY than MS. CRAVIS, who has been disrespectful and disinterested in this trial. Who will give MIKEY a life of more compassion? Obviously, the one who cries over the thought of losing him, not the one who plays with her hair.


As ALBRECHT said, CRAVIS is twirling her hair around her pointer finger. She stops when she notices everyone staring at her.



ALBRECHT

MS. SHIRE would rather cause herself to face her strongest source of pain than get in the way of giving MIKEY the best life possible. She is willing to do whatever it takes for his child. She is better suited to be a mother than MS. CRAVIS. She has fought for custody of MIKEY before and lost for a reason. She wasn’t suited to raise him them, she still isn’t. MR. BAYL received custody because MS. CRAVIS left him unattended around pure alcohol, broken bottles and was often intoxicated when caring for him. Is that safe? Is that a good life?


JENNINGS

Objection! That case is over, no double jeopardy!


JUDGE TALER

Sustained.


ALBRECHT

All right, then. I won’t use logos. I don’t like to use pathos, but those of you with children, imagine growing up without love. That is the fate of MIKEY if you give MS. CRAVIS custody.


The crowd whispers to each other, and JUDGE TALER raises her gavel. They quiet down.


ALBRECHT

I rest my case.


ALBRECHT walks to the table and sits down. Moments later, SHIRE stands, leaving the tissue box untouched, and walks to her seat next to her lawyer. She presses her hands against her palms and looks down, choking back tears.


JUDGE VALER

Grand jury, it is time to come up with a verdict.


The jury members stay still for a while before standing up stiffly and awkwardly shuffling out of the room. SHIRE bows her head, closes her eyes and puts her hands together to pray. CRAVIS is slumped back, face twisted into a sneer as she rolls her eyes. She looks like she’s been insulted, but no longer cares. She does not hide her emotions or thoughts: she wants to leave. She’s done with this. The courtroom is silent for the hour it takes the jury to come up with a verdict. SHIRE is no longer tearing up or crying, but she is squeezing her hands into tight fists. She is extremely nervous.


JUDGE TALER

Have you reached a verdict?


The jury member to the bottom left corner stands.


JURY MEMBER

Yes, your honor.


SHIRE starts hyperventilating and starts praying again.


JURY MEMBER

We, the jury, have decided that custody of MIKEY BAYL will be awarded to LIELA SHIRE.


SHIRE bursts onto her feet, tears falling down her cheeks.


SHIRE

Thank you! Thank you so much!


CRAVIS stands up, throwing her arms in the air. She starts storming out of the court. She kicks the doors open.


CRAVIS

This is such bullshit! This is-


She is cut off when the doors swing and slam closed. JENNINGS scrambles to collect their things and hurries out after her.


JUDGE TALER

It is the decision of this court that full custody of the child be handed to LIELA SHIRE.


SHIRE

Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you!


ALBRECHT

Congratulations, MS. SHIRE.


ALBRECHT extends her hand to SHIRE, who instead hugs her lawyer. ALBRECHT is caught off guard and never usually accepts, but lets SHIRE have her moment.


JUDGE TALER
Case 39.2.B closed.

© 2015 MJ Cherlylyn


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

287 Views
Added on January 17, 2015
Last Updated on May 3, 2015
Tags: movie, court case, court, drama, scene, screenplay, love, divorce, parents