Impulsive actions that run your life and how to control them

Impulsive actions that run your life and how to control them

A Story by Maddie B
"

Impulsive actions can sometimes overwhelm us and define our lives. Here we address 2 common actions that can be detrimental when taken overboard.

"

Do you have a problem with impulse control? Maybe you find that you simply cannot resist raiding the pantry at your office every few hours because you saw that they had a new stock of cookies on the shelf. Maybe it strikes when you are out shopping and instead of purchasing one item, you end up with five other things that your mind insisted you needed.


If you are familiar with Sigmund Freud’s psychoanalytic theory of development, you would know that Freud proposed that our psyche is made up of three parts: the id, the ego and the superego. The id is the impulsive aspect of our personality; it wants what it wants when it wants it. The ego is our psyche’s way of dealing with the urges of the id in a realistic way. That means following rules but only in a way that can satisfy the id. The superego is what balances the two with reasoning and social rules. Now this is not going to be a lesson on psychology, but rather a way to stress that sometimes, our id breaks free from under the surface of our psyche and we end up with decisions that we regret later on. How do we control this spontaneous need to satisfy ourselves for a moment of brief pleasure? Lets address two issues that a frequently punctuated by impulse decisions, and that is eating and shopping.


Shopping


This is a big problem if you live in a consumerist nation like Singapore. Here is a situation that you may have encountered before: you are just browsing around online when suddenly you chance upon a coupon code for Zalora. Next thing you know, you are at the checkout on the online store purchasing a cart full of clothes that your mind insisted that you buy.


Don’t experience buyers remorse anymore. For one thing, always try to write out a list of what you need to buy before you set out on even a browsing spree. Having a list will act as a cue on what you need and obviously, if you plan to buy something that isn’t on the list, chances are you don’t need it. Also, always take a moment when you are at the checkout to stop and give your selected items a long, hard look. Take note of every single content in your cart and run a list of pros and cons in your mind as to whether you truly need it in your life.


Next tip is to always stick to a budget. If you are online shopping, check the figures of your total sum plus additional charges like shipping and taxes; if you are shopping in a real store, whip out a calculator or use your phone to check the costs. If the numbers exceed your designated budget, try your best to trim down the items or select other options. This will prevent overspending or you ending up with things that you don’t really need.


Eating


For some people, food isn’t just fuel for our bodies to function - it is an event of pleasure and satisfaction. Food bears such significance in our lives: we use it to define our culture, we use it to comfort ourselves, and we use it as a social bonding tool. Because of all the positive associations we have with food, it is no surprise that some of us might abuse it. Overeating, impulse food buys and ordering based on other sensory probes rather than your actual hunger can be detrimental to both your health and your wallet.


To help with your impulsive eating habits, there are a few things to evaluate first. What do you usually buy and consume unconsciously? Usually these things are convenient processed food items like soda or candy. Next, figure out when your overeating occurs. Is it after an unsatisfactory meal or during a particularly emotional time of your life. Impulse eating can be caused by restricting your body from certain nutrients like carbohydrates for the purpose of weight loss. It can also be caused by emotional triggers like stress and anxiety. Once you are aware of what is causing you to over eat, you can address this underlying problem. The habit of overconsumption should disappear soon after because it just acts as a coping mechanism.


Now that we’ve got your urges explained, remember that it isn’t wrong to indulge once and a while. Like the saying goes, everything in moderation!

© 2014 Maddie B


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
Added on December 3, 2014
Last Updated on December 3, 2014
Tags: shopping, coupons, binge eating, impulse, sigmund freud

Author

Maddie B
Maddie B

Ozamiz, VIII, Philippines



About
Finished Masters of business.Advance experience in network marketing. Buy and sell business. more..