My Sister Cries

My Sister Cries

A Stage Play by Annabelle N.
"

I wrote this for my drama class two years ago, but I still love it. It could probably use a little more editing though.

"

[Three girls stand onstage. A short girl stage left (Young Amy), a slighty taller girl center (Teenage Amy), and the tallest girl stage right (Adult Amy). A spotlight is on the shortest girl. The other two are in the "dark".]

Young Amy: My Sissy cries a lot. Everyday when she gets home from school she goes straight to her room and slams the door. I've tried to follow but she just yells at me and blasts music. I can still hear her though, through the walls. It goes on for hours, until she comes out for dinner or to go to the bathroom, and her eyes are all puffy and red though she tries to hide it. I want to comfort her somehow, I tried talking to her but she just screamed "Leave me alone Amy!!" and slammed the door in my face.  I worry about her, do all teenagers cry this much? Why is she so sad? One day when she came out of her room her arm was bleeding. I didn't understand, was she hurt? I went straight to my mom and when I told her she just sat there and cried. I kept tugging at her arm, freaking out, Sissy was hurt why wasn't she doing anything? She never did do anything but cry. Now both Sissy and Mommy cry a lot.

[Spotlight goes out, and returns, this time shinning on teenage Amy. Young Amy walks off in the dark.]

Teenage Amy: My sister is the most annoying person on the planet!!! All she does is whine and moan about "oh my life is so hard" "Oh you wouldn't understand" Then spends all day picking on me! "Amy you're such a brat" "Amy you are so un-cool" "Get a life Amy". Like, what the heck!! It's like she doesn't realize I have enough issues of my own. I mean, nobody can handle three AP classes, two after school clubs, boys, social issues, AND a self-righteous sister. Ugh!! You know she actually cuts herself, like, what a wanna-be attention freak. And what does my mom do about it all? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. [she sighs and continues calming down]  You know, I really do love my sister but sometimes I wonder if she even wants to be loved. I know things are hard on her at school, I know she isn't treated right, but that doesn't give her the right to treat me bad.  And I've tried, you know, to help her, but she still shuts me out. Nothing I do is good enough for her! So I'm done trying. She can fix her annoying little problems herself.

[Spotlight goes out, and returns, this time shinning on adult Amy. Teenage Amy walks off in the dark.]

Adult Amy: [she pauses, taking a moment to collect herself] I miss my sister. [pause] I wish there is something I could have done, something I could have said to make her feel better. Looking back it's like I never tried. She was in so much pain and I ignored it, I told myself "It's not your business Amy" "Leave her alone Amy". I thought that’s what she wanted, space. [pause, maybe a sniffle]  I should have tried harder to be there for her. Should have protected her or stood up for her. I didn't keep her safe, I didn't see the signs.  When she hurt herself I ignored it, resented it. I didn't realize how bad it really was. I would give anything to be able to go back and make her realize that she was loved. Because I did love her, I didn't show it much, but I did. [sad sigh] Now she's gone. She took her life, and I blame myself. [pause] If I had just payed more attention, or stood up for her more then maybe things would be different today. [starts to get angry] I loath the people who did this to her, who made her feel weak and unwanted. She was a beautiful light in the world extinguished because of petty jealousy and teenage drama. I wish I could go back in time and tell her it would have gotten better. I wish I had done more to help. I wish I hadn't given up. Maybe then she would still be here, and I wouldn't have to miss her.

[Blackout]

© 2015 Annabelle N.


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

266 Views
Added on November 11, 2015
Last Updated on November 11, 2015
Tags: stage, monologues, family, suicide

Author

Annabelle N.
Annabelle N.

Escondido, CA



About
I write a lot of free-verse poetry, but also enjoy writing some stories (If I can manage to finish them) a lot of my work is a physical manifestation of my overactive emotions. I love writing, and I a.. more..

Writing
Puppets Puppets

A Poem by Annabelle N.


Words Words

A Poem by Annabelle N.