The Last Time I Saw My Father

The Last Time I Saw My Father

A Story by Margaret Barton-Wahl
"

This is just a bit of comic relief in a larger story. But I couldn't resist sharing it with my fellow writers here on, WritersCafe.org.

"

 

                                  The Last Time I Saw My Dad

      My father developed emphysema when I was a small child. At that time we lived in Michigan. He had worked for a number of years as a smelter in a steel mill, was a very heavy smoker and smoked a pack to a pack and a half daily. He was also of a staunch personality and I, well I was a typical light hearted 8 year old girl.

     When I was in the 3rd grade we had an assignment to write an essay about what our parents did for a living. I tried to interview my father…

     Question: "What do you do for work daddy?"

     Answer: "I smelt iron ore." He states in his straight forward manor.

Question: "Iron or?" I responded.

Answer: "Yes, iron ore!" he replied louder.

Question: "Iron or?" I responded a bit louder.

Answer: "YES! I smelt iron ore! Daddy stated quite resoundedly. Then he added, "I work at the foundry."

Question: "Foundry?"

Answer: "YES! I smelt iron ore at the foundry!"

Question: "OK, now we're getting somewhere. You didn't say that before. So you smelt iron or? (Daddy nodded.) Well then iron or what and what did it smelt like?

Answer: "Just iron ore nothing else, you darn kid ya! Just iron ore!  I smelt iron ore at the foundry. I am a steel man and that is what I do. Is that too hard to understand?" he says a bit more loudly.

Question:  "Yeah I got it, steel, at the foundry." I said as I jotted down a word or two.

Answer: "Yes, at the foundry. Although sometimes I do eat "smelt" for lunch. It's delicious." He says, while being a bit amused with himself.

Question: "So let me get this straight. You sometimes smelt iron or at the foundry? And you eat smelt?"

Answer: "Yes, I mean no. I always smelt iron ore. But sometimes I eat "smelt" for lunch, it's delicious." He states with out the joviality.

Question: "OK, but what I'd like to know is if you smelt iron or what, what did you eat for lunch and what did it smelt like?"

Answer: "Look kiddo… smelt is a fish and I also "smelt" iron ore at the steel foundry! Man oh man can't you get that?"

Question: "So it smelt like fish!" I stated as I took more notes

Answer: "NO!

Question: (I decided to just ask another question and let the fish thing slide.) "Is this foundry where the orphan kids live?"

Answer: NO, YOU GOT IT ALL WRONG! THAT'S A FOUNDLING HOME!" he shouted as his face flushed bright red.

Question: (at this point I got the message by the scowl on his red face and his booming voice that my questioning was somehow upsetting him. So, using my 8 year-old whit I used a little different tact.) "OK, then when did you and this man steal it and how can you eat smelt if it is iron or foundling …" I said as I started to sob, "I don't know?!?!?!"

Answer: "I give up, you can't be my kid." He stated quite seriously, "You're too darn silly!"

He then rolled his eyes and stormed off to the garage to have a smoke.

     I felt a bit confused yet in the same moment relieved. This whole smelt, steal or iron and foundry thing had me quite befuddled.  So I eventually wrote my essay about my mom who was a cocktail waitress in a fancy dinner club on rout "57". The title was…"I Feed Them Steak and Martinis, They Get Drunk; Grab me and I Get great Tips! $$$"

    

© 2008 Margaret Barton-Wahl


Author's Note

Margaret Barton-Wahl
I hope that you enjoy a laugh or two at my 8 year old interviewing style.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, quite inpressive and intriguing, I really enjoyed the concept, as well
as the delving nature that defines the meaning with depth and heartedness.
She did a great job.

Posted 15 Years Ago


What an incredible language we English thrust upon the world. All these mistakes are so, so logical in the mind of a child. You said you wanted some review of your work so here goes.
You set out to give us a smile and succeeded so we know you don't expect the piece to be looked at as great literature - but - it does make some very important points. Grammar and punctuation are of paramount importance in this type of work. Had you chosen to be lax over it and let line of dialogue follow line, and left punctuation to look after itself, this would have been a mish-mash of rubbish - but, you didn't. Consequently, the work is understood by the reader even though your poor Dad's confusion is clear, much to the benefit of all.
If that was you at 8, you would have made a formidable radio/TV interviewer by now. Let loose on a few of the politicians I know in the UK you'd have made mincemeat of them.
Thank you for a pleasing piece.
JohnL

Posted 15 Years Ago


Very inquisitive for an 8 yr old mind, and very funny at the same time.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

397 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 4, 2008
Last Updated on October 14, 2008

Author

Margaret Barton-Wahl
Margaret Barton-Wahl

Pasco, WA



About
I was invited here by a friend to whom I often send my work. I am looking forward to posting some of my stories and poetry on this sight. I have had a couple of my stories published in magazines but a.. more..

Writing