Another Day, Another Challenge: A Speech

Another Day, Another Challenge: A Speech

A Story by MagicMika006
"

In my senior year of high school, we had to compose and deliver speeches as a requirement for graduating. Since mine happened to touch a lot of the hearts of my class, I thought I'd post it online. :)

"

We have all had those days: the ones where you didn't get enough sleep the night before, or your morning is suddenly surrounded by chaos even before it begins, or your day at school leaves you with feels of disappointment or anger, and evening rock you with stress and desires to throw in the towel and say, “I'm done.” Some days, even weeks, it seems that life has handed you a raw deal, and all you want is something to go your way, just once. Much like the rest of you, I too have felt this way. I struggle to smile, I hide my anger, and I can only think about how much I want to hide in the depths of my bedroom, never to return. Then, I remember a quote from a tv drama that has long since ended: “Every day, God puts something good in your life. Embrace it, and let all the other stuff fade away.” This quote has been a constant reminder for me to find joy in the little victories that are achieved each day.

I have witnessed and been a part of incidents in my life that are too dark and dreadful for me to wish on anyone. I've seen my mother be threatened, cursed at, and beaten. Almost fifteen years later, I still have nightmares. I, myself have been abused more than once, and by more than one person. I still wake up in tears from unknown horrors that my sleep recalled and in my waking were forgotten. Some might call them excuses, but I call it cause and effect. Living under the fear and pain that I did, I was seven when I attempted suicide for the first time, though it was not my last. A year later, I started gaining weight as a result from stress. Since then, I wake up every morning, and hate to look in the mirror. Not too long after that, I became depressed. Tell me, how many depressed elementary students do you know? Since then, I have conquered on of three of the biggest challenges that have been presented to me throughout my life: My suicidal wishes. Yet every day is a battle to do the same for my depression and my weight. But how do you throw out the darkness inside of you? How does anyone? Do we drown ourselves deeper into it? Or do we fight against it, pushing ourselves closer and closer to the light, fighting what is inside of us?

All of you have accomplished achievements that blow me away with pride. Many of you have received awards and honors in sports, none of which I will attempt to speak of as if I know what I'm talking about, because I don't. There are a few of you who have achieved grades higher than I could ever wish for. For that, I congratulate you. I know it's not always easy to be successful academically. Even fewer, like myself, have had wonderful successes musically, and maybe I am biased, but I am especially satisfied with the talent that you, as well as I, have been graced with. For others, there are accomplishments that you have fulfilled that are just at outstanding, but may be underwhelmed by those around you. But let me ask you this, did you ever say to yourself, “Well, I got one thing right, so I guess that's good enough, I don't need to do anything else ever again”? No. You didn't. You decided to continue challenging yourself, because you knew you could always become better. You knew that the daily challenges that life has given you could be conquered, and you have done so: you would not be here today if you hadn't.

Many of you, like me, have become frustrated with school, dating, family, work, etc. On those days when I get a disappointing grade on a test, my family seems unsupportive, and I feel like a failure, I close my eyes, and think about the highlights of my day rather than what upset me. Whether it was a nice message from someone special, a satisfying conversation with a friend, or even something as simple as a great, long shower.

I hope that all of you will do the same as I have done, and live for the good in your life, and overcome its struggles, instead of focusing on one bad day.

© 2015 MagicMika006


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

214 Views
Added on August 1, 2015
Last Updated on August 1, 2015
Tags: another, day, challenge, speech, again, life, away, done

Author

MagicMika006
MagicMika006

Western NY, NY



About
I'm a musician, "perceptionist"/clairvoyant, college student, big sister and b*tch. Just here to write. :) more..

Writing