Wreck

Wreck

A Story by Maple
"

Just a short story sort of thing.

"

She flew by, darting in every direction possible as she searched for the key. Her brother leaned against the far wall, nomming absently on the side of a Hershey's. He had had to delay in leaving for the football game because of her, and he wasn't very happy. That was clear by the way he observed her desperate searching through narrowed eyes.

Just as he was ready to abandon the room, his sister peeked under the bed and cried in excitement and glee. The brother, having perceived her shout, backed into the room again to find her jingling her silver-and-blue keychain. He rolled his eyes with a sigh and set off for the car-downstairs, through the ugly yellow kitchen, and out into the garage. His sister loped after him, relieved to have found the car key.

As she unlocked the car with an echoing beep, he tossed the remainder of the food he'd been munching on into a moldy cardboard box on the floor. She didn't notice this action; she just yanked hard on the driver-side door as she hopped into the car.

She situated herself, looking antsy, as her younger brother sank into the seat beside her. She started the car and glided out from the driveway, the orange glare of the sun flashing at her eyes.

The car was silent as they drove because her brother was too angry to think up anything to attempt to talk about.

As they came to a stoplight, he leaned forward and jabbed the circular, black "on" button on the dashboard and played with the channels until heavy rap music blared. His sibling glanced at him with distaste, wishing she didn't have to be postponed at this intersection with such horrible music.

The moment the light changed, she charged forward, a little relieved. But she didn't pick up the booming blare of a horn over the melody beating into her ears.

A flashy red sports car had chanced the warning light, and it smashed at the speed of a rocket right into the siblings' tiny Ford. They were sent tumbling, the vehicle rolling off the downward-sloping road to come to an oddly silent rest on its side. The only thing to be heard was the tinkling of glass onto rough pavement and a cold wind whistling through the busted windows.

© 2012 Maple


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Shows the contrast between the mundane and the tragedy of life. I like how you wrote this, with all the little details but the names left out. Thanks for posting!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
1 Review
Added on April 24, 2012
Last Updated on May 23, 2012
Tags: wreck

Author

Maple
Maple

About
I'm Maple. Which is kind of obvious, I guess. I love writing, drawing, jumping jacks, ninjas, epicness, anime, reading, swimming... everything that is awesome, really. I'm currently trying to write ou.. more..

Writing
The Nightmares The Nightmares

A Book by Maple


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Maple


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Maple