Discoveries (to be continued)

Discoveries (to be continued)

A Story by Marcus Walker
"

This story is about the discoveries of three siblings. It is based on true events. It is not yet complete, i hope for some criticism on whether i should continue with this or not.

"

In the back seat of the police car anxiety held my heart. I was straddled between my twin brothers Harry and Percy, my name is Zack. We were on the motorway, heading from the crime scene towards danger at a controlled speed. My brothers look out the windows at the passing tree banks. A few weeks before we had learnt in school that the banks were put up to keep the noise in the motorways, to the noise escaping, but we were not listening fully so their may be more to it. I try to avoid eye contact with the driving policeman, but it’s difficult.

 

I am writing this a decade later, and remember lifting my face to watch as the white van come into view a head of us. It gradually slowed down and held its speed in front of us.

 

Suddenly the rear tires collapsed from under it, and its body crashed onto the tarmac which sent a fountain of sparks onto the police car’s windscreen. The policeman takes evasive action and swerves to the left. In the back we are speechless as we are thrown from side to side. One of the van doors becomes detached and is only held on by a single cable. It soon collapses and causes cars behind us to screech. The police car draws in front of the van and he calls orders over the radio. The van driver was in a state of panic. He forces his steering wheel from right to left to try and shuffle into the side of the road. He was still going at speed when he slipped of the tarmac and into the tree bank.

 

The scratching of the vans bumper was silenced by the mud and grass. And the chaos continued. The grip of the vans bumper on the grass left a wide brown skid mark, the sudden friction sent the vehicle on its side with a great fump! And it still carried on moving up at speed! It mowed down the young planted trees. We all watched as the van flip and disappear behind the back.

 

The policeman pulled up close by and told us to stay put. He leapt and ran to the van driver. Smoke appeared from over the bank. I could hear a ringing in my ears. This unfortunate accident didn’t change the fact that when the police man cleared up the situation he would still have to take care of us.

 

This was then our only opportunity to escape. Along the bank from where the van slid was a line of fully grown trees that connected to a forest. We had to be quick, while everyone else was distracted in the confusion.

 

 My brother Harry turns the door handle on his side, still locked, but the one on Perry’s side has a bit of debris lodged in the locking system. It was open with a hard shove and swung open with a loud creak. We were free. We got out of the car and looked left, and looked right, and sprinted into the trees. We made it! And no one had noticed! We of course ran faster than usual because of the intense amount of adrenaline running through our little bodies.

 

I remember turning back at the police car, just at the right moment to see a lorry, smashing the car into nothing. The smoke from the van and the car cloak the tree tops as we run further and further in.

 

The events that led up to the crash and our escape were just as extraordinary. I can recall them just as well now; as I watch my children play with their uncles in my garden. It’s the moment when I watch my youngest try to climb a tree and a strong breeze sends him slightly out of balance. The wind could not touch me through my window, but it still managed to carry me into the past…

 

We were on an abandoned construction site, when a gust from the neighbouring forest carried a strange smell. My brothers and I were perched on top of a rusty vandalised wall of concrete when we first noticed it. We had only been at the site for half n hour, and we had already achieved what we planned to do their. Percy collected empty glass bottles and laid them out systematically on the wall. Then at a distance we threw rocks at them, to work on our accuracy. One bottle stood after we ran out of rocks, until of course the wind knock it over. And with it came the odor.

 

Maybe it was the smell that held onto the wind that may have knocked it over. It was a strange smell, as we have never come across before. it was the invisible mist and it seemed to linger and cling to us.

 

It was not the first time we had skipped a day of school. The day before we had emptied our bags onto my bed and talked extensively about our plans. Books, pens, and general rubbish were replaced with food, money, some music, and a knife Percy stole. The new content of our bags gave us a devilish idea, and so we put our clothes in there. Instead of leaving during the morning, we decided to leave on the night, and so we did. We snuck out of the house, tip-toed past our dad who was snoring loudly on the sofa. And just as the front door clicked shut, we sprinted. Without a map, as we were too young to understand them, the street lights were our guide. Soon enough we came across the construction site and the forest.

© 2014 Marcus Walker


Author's Note

Marcus Walker
please feel free to insult this work. The more harsh the criticism the better i can work my style. Thank you.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
Added on April 22, 2014
Last Updated on April 22, 2014

Author

Marcus Walker
Marcus Walker

About
Fiction to me is all about your demons. Everyone lives side by side with their own demons, they cannot be outrun, they cannot be controlled, they cannot be destroyed. The only defense against demons i.. more..

Writing