Women’s bodies aren’t for public use

Women’s bodies aren’t for public use

A Story by Maria Hesse

So, I don’t know if you guys have seen yet the new coca cola’s milk adverts (yes, I couldn’t believe it either- aren’t they satisfied with global market domination that they have to lord over the milk industry too?), but if not, I can sum it up to you in just two words: blatantly sexist.

The advert shows a series of women in compromising postures wearing nothing except a layer of milk (excuse my denseness, but I thought milk was for drinking, not wearing- I’m obviously not keeping up to date with the latest trends), and with writings such as “Milk with flair” or  “Drink what she is wearing”. The images vary from a woman sensually getting on a swing, to a woman weighing herself on a scale (in heels, obvs), to one ironing in a dress so short you can make out the bottom of her left bum-cheek.

This is again an example of how women bodies are superfluously being used in adverts to make more appealing the consumer product. The objectification and sexualisation of women in the media are current issues that affect women in more ways than you could ever imagine.

To start with, it gives the idea to men that women bodies exist only for the sake of pleasing their view, therefore many think it legitimate to yell comments like “nice butt” or “I would totally hit that”, or even in some cases grab their arms, breast or crotch to women walking down the street. But, if you, ungrateful dehumanize body, dare to complain or even return the courteous and crafted “compliment”, then you will automatically be branded of hypocrite and sourpuss. After all, isn’t a woman’s life purpose to appeal attractive and be liked by men?

Anyway, sexual harassment has become a crucial issue in our country, with up to 90% of women having first experienced it at such an early age as 11, and 87% being forced to change their route as a result of it. I think it is outrageous that in the midst of 21st century and in a country which proudly proclaims itself to be one of the most developed and progressive countries of the world, girls are afraid to cross the street because of degenerated “flatterers” and their uncontrollable impulse to publicly shame women.

© 2017 Maria Hesse


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on March 10, 2017
Last Updated on March 10, 2017
Tags: Feminism, empowerment, sexism, women