4 Tips for Seniors to Sleep Better

4 Tips for Seniors to Sleep Better

A Story by Marilyn Monrow
"

If your loved one is suffering from the sleep issues, then the given 4 tips related to that in this article is worth checking out.

"

A survey of seniors found that the healthier they are, the better they sleep. On the contrary, the more health conditions they undergo, the less likely they are to sleep well. According to home care services West Bloomfield Township experts, with years of experience at helping seniors maintain high quality of life, sleeping less than seven hours every night is correlated to greater chances of obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, mental distress, and fewer chances of longevity.


Hours of Sleep Required in Senior Years


Sleep-affecting changes naturally occur in senior years normally caused by shifts in hormone and melatonin levels making them fall asleep belatedly and wake more often during the night. Experts at home care Bloomfield Township, Michigan suggests seniors should take seven to eight hours of sleep every night.


A lacking sleeping habit contributes to the depressing immune system, affecting daily activities, increasing confusion, affecting mood and concentration, and may also lead to falls. It is certainly essential for overall wellbeing and keeping a positive attitude in golden years.


Tips for Better Sleep


Mentioned below are some effective tips for seniors to sleep better and family caregivers must also help them with:


1. Developing a Consistent Sleep Routine


“Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise” is a phrase not only intended for children and young adults but for older adults as well. Help your senior loved ones with going to bed at a fixed time every night and falling asleep in the same position to sleep better. They can have a cup of warm herbal tea or milk and a warm soak in the bathtub may also help. Finding a routine that works for the mind and body of seniors is important.


2. Letting Mind and Body Relax Before Bedtime


Avoiding late night stimulating activities like eating, watching TV, or partaking in lively debates with family is paramount for a good night’s sleep. Help your loved one make better bedtime choices like reading a few pages of a good book and doing breathing exercise like meditation or muscles relaxing stretches. These are also known to aid insomnia in seniors.


3. Skipping Afternoon Naps


Naps are fine as long as your loved one sleeps well at night. It is a bad habit for seniors experiencing insomnia. You can help by going for a walk or sitting quietly in a park observing and enjoying nature daily. Seniors can also become more productive by joining a social community for helping the needy and therefore have a sense of purpose and satisfaction while getting an opportunity to avoid unnecessary naps.


4. Addressing Stress Levels


Worries are another cause of sleepless and restless nights. Worries are caused by an overactive brain leading to insomnia. You can help them by watching funny videos, reading a suspense novel or recalling happy and silly family moments.

 

Insomnia is the major sleep complaint among seniors, but you can help your loved one combat sleeping disorders by these tips or also consider consulting Home Care Assistance of Bloomfield [ www.homecareassistancebloomfield.com ] (The Home Health Care Agency in Michigan) to allow your loved one maintain healthy sleeping habits contributing to overall wellbeing and quality of life in golden years.

© 2018 Marilyn Monrow


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on July 13, 2017
Last Updated on March 22, 2018
Tags: Tips for Elderly's to Sleep Tigh, Sleep Solution for Seniors